• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

15 minutes of Astro Bot gameplay has leaked on Youtube, from someone that has received the game early, and has finished it.

Lol, fuck God of War give me this game instead on PC.
Looks way more fun.
Why? The entire game is a love letter to PS fans and heavily relies on call backs to the Dualsense/PS5. I highly doubt it would be as much fun/make as much sense on the archaic controller (XS) that most PC folks stick with.
I will get this game if I ever buy a PS5, otherwise I am fine for it to exist on the relevant hardware with no ports.

Moses85

I want the cameo of this beautiful flower.

PGbQE8h.jpeg
Wedding Crashers Pervert GIF

nial

Kat, Dusty and Raven. Heimdall_Xtreme Heimdall_Xtreme
f2ObW8s.jpeg
I found Kutaro! Danjin44 Danjin44
IPH0PMn.jpeg
Knack.
9DZE95W.jpeg
Specter from Ape Escape.
vamLf1B.jpeg
Dart Feld from The Legend of Dragoon.
aZgjJO5.jpeg
Sam Bridges from Death Stranding.
LF15pTX.jpeg
Jaster Rogue from Rogue Galaxy.
JHHlp0f.jpeg
Rossi from Devil Dice.
6p5iEfO.jpeg
Toro and Kuro from Doko Demo Issyo.
4fn1X7T.jpeg
NVDs0YB.jpeg
Robbit from Jumping Flash.
sIPP2ig.jpeg
Alundra.
fu72pXN.jpeg

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
f2ObW8s.jpeg
IPH0PMn.jpeg
Knack.
9DZE95W.jpeg
Specter from Ape Escape.
vamLf1B.jpeg
aZgjJO5.jpeg
LF15pTX.jpeg
JHHlp0f.jpeg
Rossi from Devil Dice.
6p5iEfO.jpeg
4fn1X7T.jpeg
NVDs0YB.jpeg
sIPP2ig.jpeg
Alundra.
fu72pXN.jpeg
f-yeah-jack-conrad.gif

BlackTron

Not sure what people were expecting who think this looks bad.

It looks like a 3D adventure game where you collect things (in this case, astro-bot characters that happen to come in the form of PS game references) to unlock more areas. Instead of stars or puzzle pieces.

These videos only show the hub area confirm this, and one level where instead of going anywhere the player preferred to spin around, stay in place, and pause.

Random every day footage of a game will never represent it like a trailer will. Imagine if BOTW were represented with random gameplay footage taken from real life instead of a trailer, LOL.

I'm 100% going to play this at some point. I'm sure it'll be very fun.

But that's some drab art design in the videos man. Just sayin'. And I dont need to see Horizon longnecks walking around. But I get it. That's the whole theme. Fan callbacks. Also the hover jump and general moveset looks slow, but I thought that in the first game. Its not unlike the hover in Mario Sunshine, but he also had the slide, forward jump, dash, triple jump and more. Anyway, its just a small out of context clip so whatever.

Exactly i hate to say it but the first game on ps5 was never that good it was very basic and easy i was still interested in this but they didnt seem to improve it enough imo

Lambogenie

The Astrobot other characters are basically exactly how they did LBP. Shouldn't be surprised I guess. It's cool. Not OMG exciting mind you.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
f2ObW8s.jpeg
IPH0PMn.jpeg
Knack.
9DZE95W.jpeg
Specter from Ape Escape.
vamLf1B.jpeg
aZgjJO5.jpeg
LF15pTX.jpeg
JHHlp0f.jpeg
Rossi from Devil Dice.
6p5iEfO.jpeg
4fn1X7T.jpeg
NVDs0YB.jpeg
sIPP2ig.jpeg
Alundra.
fu72pXN.jpeg
Awww my biggest love

Ceadeus

Gold Member
I wish they would do like Capcom and also make their game playable on the PSVR2. Here was an opportunity. But anyway the game is gonna be great.

sainraja

I'm 100% going to play this at some point. I'm sure it'll be very fun.

But that's some drab art design in the videos man. Just sayin'. And I dont need to see Horizon longnecks walking around. But I get it. That's the whole theme. Fan callbacks. Also the hover jump and general moveset looks slow, but I thought that in the first game. Its not unlike the hover in Mario Sunshine, but he also had the slide, forward jump, dash, triple jump and more. Anyway, its just a small out of context clip so whatever.
I have no words lol... I guess it's on the wrong box for you.

Jesus my man, its like Starfield and now HB2 have brain raped you. Let it go fella. Let other people like whatever they like, even if they are dead wrong.
This isn't that, and I think you know this. When you have to invent a whole new genre to like the type of game you used to hate because those types of games existed elsewhere, there is something wrong/off, especially when your opinion is swayed based on the platform the game is on.

I think he's just low-key trolling at this point so I suppose your point of "let it go" is still valid, I suppose.

Last edited:
Nothing I said was inaccurate. You will literally be doing just that the whole time.

thank-you-gif-the-office-steve-carell.gif
No you constructed a silly strawman that can apply to any game.

Helldivers 2 is just shooting bugs from starship troopers and robots from terminator.

Fortnite is just running round the same map from Disney land shooting other players and constructing bridges.

Darks souls is just swinging swords at enemies from dungeons and dragons

Etc etc

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
No you constructed a silly strawman that can apply to any game.

Helldivers 2 is just shooting bugs from starship troopers and robots from terminator.

Fortnite is just running round the same map from Disney land shooting other players and constructing bridges.

Darks souls is just swinging swords at enemies from dungeons and dragons

Etc etc
True, but only one of those descriptions got stale in 1998. Gaming has evolved considerably since the era of the platformer.

The purpose of the 3D platformer was for the industry (and players) to figure out how to create basic 3D movement + camera. It was never meant to be a true genre.

Last edited:
True, but only one of those descriptions got stale in 1998. Gaming has evolved considerably since the era of the platformer.

The purpose of the 3D platformer was for the industry (and players) to figure out how to create basic 3D movement + camera. It was never meant to be a true genre.
Well for whatever reason the genre started there's still an audience today.

Mario is still the biggest franchise in gaming history. Considering that I think more than one publisher should develop them.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Well for whatever reason the genre started there's still an audience today.

Mario is still the biggest franchise in gaming history. Considering that I think more than one publisher should develop them.
Mario is great for children and families who are relatively inexperienced with videogames.

The 3D platformer is Bluey or Dora the Explorer. Games have built huge systems off the 3D platformer to create new, more compelling genres with considerably more depth. Astro Bot is as basic as gaming gets.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Mario is great for children and families who are relatively inexperienced with videogames.

The 3D platformer is Bluey or Dora the Explorer. Games have built huge systems off the 3D platformer to create new, more compelling genres with considerably more depth. Astro Bot is as basic as gaming gets.
not every game genre's meant to be complex. Not to mention that most of these modern GaaS game devs never needed Mario 64 specifically to figure out 3D- most GaaS are shooters, and Doom came out 3 years before Mario 64. So why did they make all the platformers when FPS game were right there?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
not every game genre's meant to be complex. Not to mention that most of these modern GaaS game devs never needed Mario 64 specifically to figure out 3D- most GaaS are shooters, and Doom came out 3 years before Mario 64. So why did they make all the platformers when FPS game were right there?
Mario 64 was integral in shaping what 3rd person games have become. Everyone at these studios played that game and were inspired by it in some way. Platformers had to walk so that 3rd person shooters could run.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Also just coming in to say that I can agree with Punished Miku on the art design- everything's too damn flat! Mario Odyssey came out 7 years before on weaker hardware and it has more textures and detail in the environments.

I seriously hope this is just for that one exclusive area and the rest of the game has more detail, it still looks good but visually it's not as much of a standout as i'd expect from a first party PS5 AAA game... we had Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart a couple years previous

nial

A lot of people have noticed that this is indeed a dev build and not an actual copy out there.
Since the text is in English instead of Japanese, it cannot be from Team Asobi, but rather from the international production departments at PS Studios America or Europe. Maybe someone will get fired over it.

Millions of experienced adults play them as well.
Simplicity doesn't mean bad and simple games can still have high skills ceiling.

I would argue souls and sekiro combat is alot more simple than Devil may cry, Ninja gaiden and Monster Hunter
and God of War!
but elden ring has managed to capture a bigger audience than any of those games.

Platformers focus on traversal can result in more complex and varied level design compared to other genres

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Millions of experienced adults play them as well.
I would need to see some receipts on that before I believed it. These games don't sell particularly well and I bet the vast majority of them are played by kids. There's just no meat on the bones.
Simplicity doesn't mean bad and simple games can still have high skills ceiling.
Chess is better than Checkers. Checkers is way too simple to hold an adults attention span for long. Checkers is a great way to get children to think about playing a certain type of game though. I view Astro Bot in the same way. It's not objectively bad for a certain demo.

I would need to see some receipts on that before I believed it. These games don't sell particularly well and I bet the vast majority of them are played by kids. There's just no meat on the bones.
Well there's this

Chess is better than Checkers. Checkers is way too simple to hold an adults attention span for long. Checkers is a great way to get children to think about playing a certain type of game though. I view Astro Bot in the same way. It's not objectively bad for a certain demo.
That's fair enough. Platformers can require a lot of prescion and mechanical skill which some gamers seem happy to spend hours on.

Many other genres don't require lots of thought but high precision and skill e.g. racing games. Are not interested in them either?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Well there's this

resize

I have never pressed F to doubt harder in my life.

That's fair enough. Platformers can require a lot of prescion and mechanical skill which some gamers seem happy to spend hours on.

Many other genres don't require lots of thought but high precision and skill e.g. racing games. Are not interested in them either?
I am certain that the demographic that plays Astro Bot skews dramatically younger than the demographic that plays Gran Turismo.

Astro Bot does not encourage high mechanical skill mastery to nearly same degree as Gran Turismo. The Astro Bot games reward you with bright colors and cute animations for sneezing on your controller.

Top Bottom