• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steroyd

Boku Ha Todomachi - 01

Why i watched this after the godawful preview is beyond me (oh wait, that's how I roll lololol :| ), but that was a surpsingly enter *coughs blood* taining episode.

Risette

A Good Citizen
PdotMichael said:
upscale-HD or true HD?
The BDs will be an HD telecine from 35mm film. HD broadcast is a tossup though. Tons of HD broadcasts of older anime are upscaled AND cropped to 16:9. Eww!

Gotta sell them BD boxes somehow I guess.

duckroll

Aigis said:
The BDs will be an HD telecine from 35mm film. HD broadcast is a tossup though. Tons of HD broadcasts of older anime are upscaled AND cropped to 16:9. Eww!

Gotta sell them BD boxes somehow I guess.

The broadcast source uses the HD masters. Also, I don't think Escaflowne used 35mm film. It was a TV series. Evangelion was 16mm for example.

cajunator

Banned
Would it be worth picking this version up if it gets licensed over here?

Oh yeah, I got Simoun also thanks to somebody who was reviewing it on here.

Defuser

Idolmaster ep 14:
As the sole member of Team Producer, twas a great victory over Team Miki when Miki call the producer honey!

Geneijin

In bold are the significant additions to my previous one to those curious what I only added.

Revised Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon Episode 1 Plot Summary

At the beginning of the episode, we see a book being open, which could be the book, "Testament," that's later referred to in the ending credits. Next, something happens within the Earth's atmosphere (?), and then, in the next following shot, we see the camera moving upwards to the sky and land undergoing some sort of transformation. It's interesting to note because this is could be when the land in the skies that would fall soon after, not the Earth's land transforming. And I believe this to be so, which I'll explain later. This may also be what is later suggested in the conversation between the two teachers, Musashi and Sakai,"the apocalypse." After the opening, we see a girl singing at a grave with the name Horizon inscribed on this gravestone. Later, throughout the episode, it could be implied or suggested this girl is the sister of Horizon. Probably Horizon's imouto. The next scene transitions to our main character, Tori Aoi, who offhandedly remarks something needs to be put at an end.

And this character is/will be important because the following exposition between the instructor and the boy with the glasses sets up Tori's background. Apparently, Tori is the representative/Chancellor of this flying city/ship called, "Far East Musashi." Reps are usually chosen by the "Testament Union," and they usually pick incompetent fools/puppets basically, so they can easily manipulate them, including Tori Aoi, our main character. It also provides us with some context and even motivation for his character. Our main character was once incapable seemingly. Is he still now? That remains the question onto the next episode.

One important thing to note is that the "Far East Musashi" is basically a flying estate/flying ship - the ship Tori and his ragtag team of classmates (and friends?) are on now. Because the Earth only has a few remaining inhabitable pieces of land, which is practically the size of Japan (is Japan!?), more or less, as indicated in the following picture is divided into separate states/countries is called, "the Divine States."

XyE8Pl.jpgp

Here's the catch: all territories - the Divine States - previously belonged to Far East Musashi, but they're oppressed for reasons I'll detail later. Think of Far East Musashi as Britannia basically. The age limit requirement imposed on them is an example of these politics.

Before P.E. begins, there's another important thing you should remember. The instructor specifically says after passing Horizon's gravestone that Horizon marks the start of their journey and cuts to a shot of the class chasing after her. This declaration could also imply all of them were friends or fondly knew of Horizon before.

Anyway, near the end, Tori shows up and proclaims he'll finally have a confession. And while it's unknown what a confession was initially, when he states it's a confession to Horizon, who Tori's sister Kimi Aoi/Bel Flore says died 10 years ago, we can safely assume they're implying this is a love confession. Also, the name Horizon has meaning because of the gravestone shown earlier in the episode. We also learn something important about Tori: he never confessed to Horizon and plans to do so before he challenges the world. Tori might be suggesting he's planning to lead a revolt with Far East Musashi and his classmates.

Now here's where most of the confusion is: the exposition in the ending credits. From what I can interpret, they're trying to rewrite history because they want to return to their "former prosperity" - which I think is to prevent the collapse of their former land, the land in the skies, as I mentioned at the beginning of this summary. As the ending credits state, humanity once rose to the heavens, and from this statement, I believe humanity before lived on land they formed above the Earth, floating in the skies. However, a war up there caused the land in the skies to collapse as seen perhaps at the very beginning of this episode, and they were forced to return to the Earth. The problem was most of the land was uninhabitable. And what is known as the "Divine States" was the only land left habitable. So in an attempt to fix this, a return to their "former prosperity" - to prevent the destruction (the same apocalypse maybe?) of the land in the skies, they set forth to rewrite/relive history by creating a magic book, "the Testament," where they can literally replace the present with a newly created future within the book where the land in the skies never collapsed, thus, preventing it from ever happening. I like to describe this method/fixing as a sort of mechanic like time travel except they never explicitly state it's time traveling although it involves time manipulation.

However, they failed once already. So here's where the real confusion starts: for simplicity's sake, the present where the land in the skies collapsed is "the Divine States," and they created copy to undo their fuck ups so they can do a reset, "the Harmonic Divine States." You can also think of this as two dimensions. What happened was the Harmonic Divine States fell because of their failure, and as I would like to describe, the Harmonic Divine States merged with the Divine States creating one timeline/one dimension. What the people from the Harmonic Divine States did, however, was invade the Divine States and conquer the Divine States/Far East/Japan and divided the land amongst themselves, separated into states/countries as see in the picture above, and segregated the Far East people, which includes the flying ship, Musashi.

Now let's reconnect this information from the exposition they gave earlier at the beginning of P.E. As the boy with glasses says to the instructor, the Divine States use to belong to them, the Far East people, but it was taken from them. It's reasonable to assume the Divine States use to also be called the Far East. As the picture above helps clarify, there are other Far East people scattered around the Divine States, and it would help explain what the narrator meant or is implying with the warriors of the Far East being scattered around the Divine States. I wonder if Tori gets to recruit heroes and stuff.

The most intriguing thing I guess is how all this setup is a reenactment of the Japanese Warring States period war with Tori and his friends (?) since they're in that time where it took place. It could imply something too but eh... I won't go into it.

In short, this is some complicated justification for a setting than any sort of plot :lol

Digimon Xros Wars S2 ep 1

It was nice to see Taiki and Yuu again but I'll be damned if the new character is annoying as hell. Ugh. Can't wait to see if Shoutmon will appear in the next ep.

DiGiKerot

duckroll said:
The broadcast source uses the HD masters. Also, I don't think Escaflowne used 35mm film. It was a TV series. Evangelion was 16mm for example.

Hmmm, Escaflowne had some early-era CG compositing effects as well. I bet a lot of those were done after the film was on video, so those particular cuts will probably be upscaled rather than proper HD.

Actually, I'm going to see a theatrical screening of the Escaflowne movie on Sunday. Not sure why - I don't really like the thing.

Shouta

HD Escaflowne? Definitely will watch it for the sexy animation and mechs, even if I hate every character in the show.

/XX/

Lafiel said:
Idolm@ster 14 - Whew a epic plot is starting to brew for the series. I hope the rivarly drama actually goes somewhere, because it has a lot of potential at this point, especially with the
behind-the-curtain villian lulz
That is a CHANGE!!!! I could believe on. Since the start of the series I've had a faint impression that the staff wanted to do something a little... different... from the guidelines established by the franchise, developing something on their own. Maybe it is only a showcase aimed to the game fans, but I'd like to see something else...

Enron

Banned
RurouniZel said:
Wow, awesome!! So does an HD version of a classic anime save this season, or does it not count? :p. I'll spread the word to my friends!

anime has already been saved by squidgirls. All hail our cephalopod savior

Coxy

Shouta said:
HD Escaflowne? Definitely will watch it for the sexy animation and mechs, even if I hate every character in the show.

especially hitomi, she utterly made the show unwatchable for me :x

Risette

A Good Citizen
duckroll said:
No, it's been stated to be 35mm. Would link source but school, on iPhone, laziness, etc.

/XX/

Aigis said:
No, it's been stated to be 35mm. Would link source but school, on iPhone, laziness, etc.
A twitter account representative of BANDAI Visual's EMOTION label posted the information:

Twitter / @EMBsince1982: そして現物を見ていただけば一発でお分かり頂けると思い ...
http://twitter.com/#!/EMBsince1982/status/109669075076128769

cajunator

Banned
Actually, the disc is heavily damaged from shipping, so it wont play past episode 1. Talk about a downer.
Hopefully rightstuf will replace it.

cajunator

Banned
Seems like this is a widespread problem.

They tried to make the disc packaging cuter, but the discs come loose and scratch up.
The disc hardly plays.
Hopefully they dont do this shit with volume 2.

Dynedom

PdotMichael said:
You will cry after the first chibi Squid Girl episode

Oh god. That episode was completely out of nowhere and T_T

edit: If the Escaflowne blu-rays are good, consider it fucking bought. Favorite series ever in good HD? om nom nom nom

cajunator

Banned
Wow, so they are actually gonna just mail me a new Squid Girl DVD/case. This must be REALLY a problem if they arent requiring shipment back to their warehouse.

scy

I think that I'll be enjoying Horizon vicariously through Geneijin's posts on it rather than trying to watch it myself. Seems faster.

At the very least, understanding it through those posts...

Enron

Banned
cajunator said:
Wow, so they are actually gonna just mail me a new Squid Girl DVD/case. This must be REALLY a problem if they arent requiring shipment back to their warehouse.

Not necessarily. Many times its just more hassle to deal with - it's cheaper to just mail out a replacement and have the customer keep the defective item rather than have them mail it back to you where you have to store it and dispose of it. Especially with something like physical media.

cajunator

Banned
Enron said:
Not necessarily. Many times its just more hassle to deal with - it's cheaper to just mail out a replacement and have the customer keep the defective item rather than have them mail it back to you where you have to store it and dispose of it. Especially with something like physical media.
Yeah that's pretty much what the phone rep said.
I ordered The disappearance of Haruhi suzumiya for my friend since he doesnt know what a credit card is, but that was fucked up as well. they are requiring that one to be sent back. I wont miss it.

Regarding the chibi squid girl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujKeKs5UlXw

HOLY MOTHER FUCKING HNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Code Geass R2 5 - 8

Pretty awesome, as usual. Episode seven and the amazing air raid was great, and
shooting attachable add-ons to the ever modual Guren in mid air was FANTASTIC
:D Episode 8 however disolved into silliness with the whole one million
Zeros being exiled.
Really? You'd think the Britannians would just be like, come on guys, we're not playing this game, knock it off. I mean, compared to Zero's past escapades and escapes this just seemed a bit boring, and contrived.

Dynedom

cajunator said:

Maybe the build qualities of the cases were inkonsistent

EmmanuelMunoz said:
So If I enjoyed EVA and didn't like escaflowne, I'm not cool?

:(

Correct.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
cajunator said:
Yeah that's pretty much what the phone rep said.
I ordered The disappearance of Haruhi suzumiya for my friend since he doesnt know what a credit card is, but that was fucked up as well. they are requiring that one to be sent back. I wont miss it.

Regarding the chibi squid girl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujKeKs5UlXw

HOLY MOTHER FUCKING HNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH

Which episode is that? My wife would love that. She's a sea-life fanatic. That right there - some shrimp and squid moe.

Cwarrior

Persona ep1(haven't played the game)

-_-

I should be likeing this but am not, i just don't know how you make something like this so boring.

-Everything is so akward i can't quite tell what it is, maybe the character movement or something.
-The main lead is bland on the plus side his pretty much an empty shell that doesn't speak much, so that makes him better than your average anime lead.
-Headphones(hanamura) and green suit girl(chie) are the shows only saveing grace as soon as they leave the screen its complete Zzzz from there.
-Music placement is bad
-The comedy scenes fall flat since there down so badly

Need to get round to playing one of these persona games.

EmmanuelMunoz said:

Is this screen real? did he really say that?

EmmanuelMunoz said:
But...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12082922/R12tJ.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Anno is a cool guy and without EVA no [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eden:_It%27s_an_Endless_World!"]Eden – It's an Endless World[/URL].

but [spoiler]the anime sucks[/spoiler]

[QUOTE=Extollere]Which episode is that? My wife would love that. She's a sea-life fanatic. That right there - some shrimp and squid moe.[/QUOTE]

third chapter of episode 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom