• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phi Brain 3
tumblr_lt6t50dIA21qbxqfpo1_500.png

Apparently a requirement to be a Giver in the POG is to be a sore loser. I liked this puzzle the best, and Nonoha actually contributing something. I really want the OST.

C3 3

Still
bitching
enjoyable. Keep the craziness coming, Oonuma! As long as there's enough of that, I can overlook the tired harem cliches.

Dresden said:
Ben-To is fucking awesome. I couldn't finish the first episode, but the second is cool.

Ugh, is this yet another show with a boring first episode that I have to watch the second episode of now?

hosannainexcelsis said:
Ugh, is this yet another show with a boring first episode that I have to watch the second episode of now?
If Wolves fighting off Boars during a Storm sounds awesome to you, then you should check out the second episode.

mAcOdIn

Ben-To is exactly how you do THAT type of show. It's almost perfect for what it is.

I love it, the main's a curious kid and yet never sees any panties or tits despite always looking. The male gaze in this show is overbearing and yet you see nothing.

The music that accompanies the class rep beating speaking to him is perfect. It's like some jungle music you'd find in some old documentary following a group of lions or some shit. That creepy guy that lovingly approves is suitably creepy.

And the concept, so stupid and yet played so serious.

Seriously, this show is awesome.

trejo

Ben-to 2

I, too, wish to be a Wolf squaring off against a Boar in the middle of a Storm while a Wizard backs me up. And whenever the main character stares at a girl's chest for an awkardly prolonged period of time it feels as though it is I who is doing the staring.

Wolf pride, bitches.

trejo said:
Ben-to 2

I, too, wish to be a Wolf squaring off against a Boar in the middle of a Storm while a Wizard backs me up. And whenever the main character stares at a girl's chest for an awkardly prolonged period of time it feels as though it is I who is doing the staring.

Wolf pride, bitches.
Maximum Wolfist
hP0Jh.gif

iavi

Ben-To 1-2

"Have respect. Have pride."

This was absolutely hilarious. I even thought the first ep did a great job of letting the viewer know exactly what they were getting themselves into, while remaining incredibly funny. Though, with that said, I do have to echo the sentiments of those who are saying ep 2>1. There were moments in ep two where I could not stop laughing--most of them involving The Wizard:

"...A boar charge."

"At me, pigs. No food for you tonight"

Hell, even scenes like this one were done perfectly:

b1.png

Tie moments like that in with camerawork that's blatant in its insertion of the viewer, an AMAZINGLY apt OST, and you'll have yourself some fun. This is so good.

mAcOdIn said:
The music that accompanies the class rep beating speaking to him is perfect. It's like some jungle music you'd find in some old documentary following a group of lions or some shit. That creepy guy that lovingly approves is suitably creepy.

Perfect description. That music got me so good.

Kaasan - Mom's Life 1

(I prefer "Everyday Mom" as a translation of the title though.)

It's a simple sketch comedy show about the travails of a working mother dealing with "kids will be kids" and "husbands will be husbands". I could see people getting bored with this, but I like it. I'm glad to see a mainstream show for the whole family that does comedy drawn from real life so well. The opening segment with the kids drawing on the wall with crayons reminded me of times when I did the same thing as a child and my mom reacted in pretty much the same way. It's very charming and heartfelt; the final segment even made me tear up a little.

It's not quite Usagi Drop, especially in the production values, but anyone who misses that show might find some of what they enjoyed about it in here.

Jex

firehawk12 said:
Haha, I already got tagged as a "hater" by most of the people in the club, so automajically my opinions are dismissed. I think Miri is talking more about that mindset.
I don't think your opinions are automatically dismissed, they're just disagreeable every week. That's a different thing entirely.

zeroshiki

Jexhius said:
What counts as excessive?

Boob and panty shots.

Actually, panty shots automatically make it excessive for me. Bouncing boobs and suggestive poses, I can take upto a certain point. Its more of a know it when you see it thing though. Its not like I have a checklist or anything.

vareon

Huh, I watched Ben-to episode 1 and thought it was not ridiculous enough for this kind of theme. Looks like I'll follow the 3 episodes rule anyway.

Branduil

zeroshiki said:
Boob and panty shots.

Actually, panty shots automatically make it excessive for me. Bouncing boobs and suggestive poses, I can take upto a certain point. Its more of a know it when you see it thing though. Its not like I have a checklist or anything.
It's especially offputting when there's just one instance of bizarre fanservice in a show. Like that one panty shot in Infinite Ryvius.
It's especially inappropriate given what later happens.

Jex

zeroshiki said:
But even 60's astro boy had panty shots! Not that I don't disagree there's really not any need for them.

flawfuls

Jexhius said:
But even 60's astro boy had panty shots! Not that I don't disagree there's really not any need for them.

But those were there for an entirely different purpose. Don't make me post the timeline!

mAcOdIn

zeroshiki said:
Boob and panty shots.

image.php

vareon said:
Huh, I watched Ben-to episode 1 and thought it was not ridiculous enough for this kind of theme. Looks like I'll follow the 3 episodes rule anyway.
Not ridiculous enough?

Branduil

icarus-daedelus said:
Where was the pantyshot? Refresh my memory.
I don't remember the exact episode, but it's in the middle of the series at some point. There's a panty shot of Kozue that fills the entire frame. Pretty tasteless considering what happens to her later.

Negator

Panty shots are only aggravating if they are gratuitous and in your face. One once in a while is fine.

I totally hate the bouncing boobs thing though, especially if they throw in sound effects.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm glad Ben-to is getting more eyes. Stupid show of the season!

Jexhius said:
I don't think your opinions are automatically dismissed, they're just disagreeable every week. That's a different thing entirely.
Isn't that one and the same? I disagree, therefore I'm wrong. For someone who is interested in discourse, I find it hard to engage on those terms.

Also, in before aigis makes a "herp derp action" comment. :p

Jex

firehawk12 said:
Isn't that one and the same? I disagree, therefore I'm wrong. For someone who is interested in discourse, I find it hard to engage on those terms.
No, that isn't the same at all.

If your opinion are automatically dismissed, then no one reads them or engages with them. If you just happen to have a different opinion from the majority ever week, that's clearly different. It can't be helped that most people have a different view to yours!

zeroshiki

firehawk12 said:

I thought you were my friend but you refuse to watch Guilty Crown and dismissed Ohana as the same old crap.

If you tell me you didn't watch Usagi Drop, we're gonna have to return rosaries =(

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Firehawk12 will always be my nakama, no matter how many questionable things he says.<3

But anyway, while i frequently disagree with firehawk12 he always expresses his opinions in a respectable manner, which is why I'm always interested in what he has to say about something regardless of whether it's questionable or not! it sucks that you guys are trying to turn him off from that.:( the only time i was like "what?" in reaction to one of his opinions was his "tokyo arc" complaints in ohana.:p

Cwarrior

Ben-to EP2

Hilariously with epic one liners one after another.

Was a bit disappointed by ep1 but the show has delivered and over delivered it has.

duckroll

zeroshiki said:
I've never seen firehawk ever praise an action show :lol There's always a first time I guess.

Fate/Zero is not an action show. Wut. Also, he digged Sword of the Stranger. That was the start of our nakama bond!

zeroshiki said:
I've never seen firehawk ever praise an action show :lol There's always a first time I guess.
Do you count Gintama as an action show?

And yeah, Fate/Zero isn't an action show. At least so far, though I'm sure there'll be more fights in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom