• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynedom

Ben-To 1-2

Surprisingly fun! It's such a ridiculous premise and I love it. I guess it helps that the protagonist doesn't piss me off in any way (a usual pitfall in anime like this).

If this is going to play out as a harem (which I'm sure it is), this is how you do it!

edit: Maybe it's also my eyes deceiving me but this anime seems to have a pretty decent budget/production level.

Jex

Ben-To 2

Well the first episode was bad, and so was this one, but in a different way. This was definitely enjoyably bad.

1QYpk.jpg

iavi

Jexhius said:
Ben-To 2

Well the first episode was bad, and so was this one, but in a different way. This was definitely enjoyably bad.

See, I don't even see this with Ben-To. And I actually got to asking about this a bit last night last night.

For what reason would even you even attach 'Bad' as a descriptor? I agree that it's noticeably lacking in its animation, at times, and the art is blatantly bad, but everything else about its direction seems incredibly focused, and accomplishes exactly what it sets out to do. Even a little gimmick such as the camerawork and its consistent lamp-shading of the male gaze by giving it an actual reason to exist go a long way towards proving an attention to detail, imo. That's not even mentioning the awkward, but effective, pauses, the commendable use of its surprisingly good OST, and--I'm going to use it again, lol--incredibly effective writing.

"Know your limits! A boar in the storm." with context was actually amazing.

Dynedom said:
Ben-To 1-2
edit: Maybe it's also my eyes deceiving me but this anime seems to have a pretty decent budget/production level.

I actually think it is a bit deceptive. They're masking a lot of its shortcomings with style. The
boar charge scene, for example
looks like it consisted of very little actual animation, but they managed it in a way where the show hardly suffered for it, imo.

mAcOdIn

Miri said:
See, I don't even see this with Ben-To. And I actually got to asking about this a bit last night last night.

For what reason would even you even attach 'Bad' as a descriptor? I agree that it's noticeably lacking in its animation, at times, and the art is blatantly bad, but everything else about its direction seems incredibly focused, and accomplishes exactly what it sets out to do. Even a little gimmick such as the camerawork and its consistent lamp-shading of the male gaze by giving it an actual reason to exist go a long way towards proving an attention to detail, imo. That's not even mentioning the awkward, but effective, pauses, the commendable use of its surprisingly good OST, and--I'm going to use it again, lol--incredibly effective writing.
Well I agree with Ben-to, I think it's actually good and many of the "bad" in it is entirely on purpose and executed well but I do see where a "bad good" exists, something like Army of Darkness comes to mind where it feels like so much of it is bad because they just couldn't do any better.

iavi

mAcOdIn said:
Well I agree with Ben-to, I think it's actually good and many of the "bad" in it is entirely on purpose and executed well but I do see where a "bad good" exists, something like Army of Darkness comes to mind where it feels like so much of it is bad because they just couldn't do any better.

Oh, definitely. I think that a 'bad-good' exists too, my thing is just that I don't think Ben-To is it. I too think that it's self-aware in all its 'bad,' aside from animation, but I've been a bit reluctant to make that call since failing hard on my guess of Horizon being a parody of overwrought sci-fi coated harems. I mean, I was totally wrong there,that thing is nothing more than an overwrought sci-fi coated harem.

But even in saying that it's self aware, I wouldn't call it bad. I see that this may be an issue with semantics.

Jex

Miri said:

For what reason would even you even attach 'Bad' as a descriptor? I agree that it's noticeably lacking in its animation, at times, and the art is blatantly bad, but everything else about its direction seems incredibly focused, and accomplishes exactly what it sets out to do.
I don't think that accomplishing what you set out to do makes you good, it just means you were aiming to make a certain type of thing, and you achieved in that goal. The end result can still be terrible.

Now I'm not saying that Ben To is terrible, well actually, the first episode was, but it's still a dumb product with far too much fanservice and a completely nonsense plot. Yes, it achieved it's goals and it was entertaining, but that's not saying much.

I don't actually think it's terribly made, or boring, or any of that. Which is why I didn't just say "this is bad" without modifying what I meant.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
SonicX_Zero said:
Urusei Yatsura 1

Ataru sure is fucking annoying for a main character, I hope he gets better later on.
Ahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

PdotMichael said:
that's destiny! watch it, now!

I wish I could but I have exams this week. No way will I be able to pull a marathon.

Seriously I hate unmei. If this is unmei, then kami-sama must be incredibly hidoi.

Jex

mAcOdIn said:
What? That's saying everything!
That's why I said enjoyably bad!

But really, there's hundreds of anime that I find entertaining, you have to do a little better than that.

As far as Ben-To 2 goes, it all boils down to whether you consider a well-executed lowbrow comedy to be "good" or not. I'm personally inclined to call it that - even though it's certainly not the most worthwhile goal a show could aim for, being humorous intentionally (as opposed to unintentionally, which is how I view C3) is a achievement that deserves some praise.

iavi

Jexhius said:
I don't think that accomplishing what you set out to do makes you good, it just means you were aiming to make a certain type of thing, and you achieved in that goal. The end result can still be terrible.

That's pretty true.

Now I'm not saying that Ben To is terrible, well actually, the first episode was, but it's still a dumb product with far too much fanservice and a completely nonsense plot. Yes, it achieved it's goals and it was entertaining, but that's not saying much.

I don't actually think it's terribly made, or boring, or any of that. Which is why I didn't just say "this is bad" without modifying what I meant.

When you say it has a nonsensical plot in a negative manner, in the kind of show it is, that really does make me think that this REALLY comes down to a matter of preferences. I personally look at it like a comedy, and hope that they introduce more zany elements with their own code names. That's like 60% of the fun, bro.

hosannainexcelsis said:
As far as Ben-To 2 goes, it all boils down to whether you consider a well-executed lowbrow comedy to be "good" or not. I'm personally inclined to call it that - even though it's certainly not the most worthwhile goal a show could aim for, being humorous intentionally (as opposed to unintentionally, which is how I view C3) is a achievement that deserves some praise.

Yessir. You said it better than I did.

jman2050

Squid Girl 4

First: For all the people who hated Squid puns, now you get highlarious Japanese->English puns in addition to that!

Second: Pdot I'm disappointed you didn't post a picture of "that shot" from this segment by now. You know what I'm talking about.

Third:
qmyg42.jpg

"I'm the Queen of the world de geso!"

And now for thw two week wait :(

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Question: How much of Squid Girl 2 is Chibi Squid Girl?

I'd watch those segments.

Steroyd

C³ - 03

Talk about rickroll, first episode and half of the 2nd episode were incredibly awful in that typical harem fashion with a loli, pantsu shots, jealous girl next door, failure at cooking and cleaning, the whole works, then it turns into, I don't know what the hell I just watched but you'd think it turned into Higurashi meets Soul Eater with a spice of drama.

Halycon said:
Question: How much of Squid Girl 2 is Chibi Squid Girl?

I'd watch those segments.

Well judging from Jman's post this would be mini Ika's first apearance in S2, can't wait. ^_^

Articalys

Well, since it's been the hot topic across the last few pages or so (and especially this one) I went ahead and gave Ben-To 1-2 a whirl.

It's a decent action comedy, if a little on the thin side of substance. Takes the most mundane topic possible and turns it into the ultimate serious business. I could see myself picking it up if I didn't already have enough on my plate for the season. The fight scenes were fun, the camera's preference for T&A is amusing, and the characters seem enjoyable enough.

Except for that Shiraume bitch. She can fuck right off. Worst character archetype in existence.

iavi

cosmicblizzard said:
"Good" and "bad" are completely meaningless terms in this discussion. Not really anything new with animegaf, but still...

But a good discussion can be salvaged from it. A discussion that basically boils down to first learning what others constitute to be good/bad, and moving on from there if able.

We are hardly ever able to in animegaf though, so I have to agree with you here.

Jex

Miri said:
When you say it has a nonsensical plot in a negative manner, in the kind of show it is, that really does make me think that this REALLY comes down to a matter of preferences. I personally look at it like a comedy, and hope that they introduce more zany elements with their own code names. That's like 60% of the fun, bro.
Oh I don't mean it in a negative manner, I was just pointing out how the show's approach matches it's plot. That's a positive thing.

Articalys

Well now, this is interesting... there's going to be an AKB48 anime coming this spring... directed by Shōji Kawamori.

Yes, the creator of Macross (and Escaflowne, and Arjuna, and other stuff) will be directing an anime about a bunch of teen idols based on a real idol group. Which makes sense, I guess, considering music's focus in the Macross series.

Voice actresses will be chosen in what essentially seems to be a battle royale amongst all the members from AKB48 and its spinoff groups.

AKB48 Idol Group Gets 1st Anime on Air Next Spring

Enron

Banned
Articalys said:
Well now, this is interesting... there's going to be an AKB48 anime coming this spring... directed by Shōji Kawamori.

Yes, the creator of Macross (and Escaflowne, and Arjuna, and other stuff) will be directing an anime about a bunch of teen idols based on a real idol group. Which makes sense, I guess, considering music's focus in the Macross series.

Voice actresses will be chosen in what essentially seems to be a battle royale amongst all the members from AKB48 and its spinoff groups.

As painful as it was to finally do, I had completely written Kawamori off years ago and just pretended that he was dead. Looks like I made the right choice.

/holds Takatoku Valkyrie tightly and sheds a single tear

Jex

Articalys said:

So what you're saying is their won't be any mecha?

mAcOdIn

Enron said:
As painful as it was to finally do, I had completely written Kawamori off years ago and just pretended that he was dead. Looks like I made the right choice.

/holds Takatoku Valkyrie tightly and sheds a single tear
Pretty much the right choice.

Man, I had this plastic model Macross that you had to assemble and paint that I got in Germany, had all the little guns and everything, the detail was amazing, lost in the move back to the States. Damnit.

Jex

Dynedom said:
Ben-To 1-2
It's not that great, there's lots of stills, limited animation etc.

Mirai Nikki 2

Yuki's pussiness is almost too much to bear when animated. But, to be fair, the 'bad guy of the week' chapters are not nearly as interesting as the 'wtf is wrong with this chick' chapters that fill in the gaps.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
SonicX_Zero said:
Urusei Yatsura 1

Ataru sure is fucking annoying for a main character, I hope he gets better later on.
Do you also get to see Ataru being awesome? Yes. Does he ever stop being a lecher? Not really.

Urusei Yatsura is a lot like The Simpsons. Characters are who they are for the most part, but things aren't entirely settled early on. A couple characters change quite a bit going into Season 2, when UY really begins.

vas_a_morir said:
Mirai Nikki 2

Yuki's pussiness is almost too much to bear when animated. But, to be fair, the 'bad guy of the week' chapters are not nearly as interesting as the 'wtf is wrong with this chick' chapters that fill in the gaps.

So the show is still good, right?

cajunator

Banned
jman2050 said:
Squid Girl 4

First: For all the people who hated Squid puns, now you get highlarious Japanese->English puns in addition to that!

Second: Pdot I'm disappointed you didn't post a picture of "that shot" from this segment by now. You know what I'm talking about.

Third:
qmyg42.jpg

"I'm the Queen of the world de geso!"

And now for thw two week wait :(
HNNNNNNNNNGHHHHHH

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jexhius said:
I don't think that's necessarily happening, it's just that people disagree with a certain position quite often. If it was happening, that would be stupid, because then what's the point of posting/replying on an internet forum?
Epeen.

icarus-daedelus said:
25 minute episodes broken up into informal segments of varying length. There's 100+ on crunchyroll.

And that crunchyroll android app is surprisingly good...
Ah, okay. There was some question about whether or not it was short like other shows. It's just one of those things that are there and still going on, but no one watches.

Miri said:
http://i.imgur.com/hP0Jh.gif[img]

It's time to wolfist, son. Though, I am lacking, intentionally. I'm trying to let it build up a bit so I can mini-marathon it, but your hyping of this arc is killing me softly. I have 3 eps so far.
[/quote]
I actually can't remember what I was talking about there. Haha.

[quote=-Minsc-]
As for the music, it's a testament to how good the tracks are.[/quote]
Yeah, that's true. It's just funny that the music basically cues the structure of the episode now.

firehawk12 said:
Ah, okay. There was some question about whether or not it was short like other shows. It's just one of those things that are there and still going on, but no one watches.
To expand on that, the episode I watched had 6 3-4 minute segments and 2 shorter ones in the middle, all centered around one slice-of-life style situation. I think you'd like it.

Jex

Fate/Zero 2-3

This shows world/character building is a lot less egregious when it takes place over the length of a regular episode. You could still, rightly, argue that it's a bit too much, but it's one of those things that I have a high tolerance for.

Plus, you know, stuff happens. Some of it is rather over the top. Apparently you can only really be a villain when you
torment and brutally murder children
. I guess we're living in a land of extremes.

duckroll

AKB48 anime details

http://www.oricon.co.jp/news/confidence/2002820/full/

Here's the full staff list:

Planning/Supervisor: Yasushi Akimoto (AKB45 General Producer)
Original Concept/Chief Director: Shoji Kawamori (Macross, More Macross, Arjuna, Even More Macross)
Series Composition/Script: Mari Okada (Anohana, Hanasaku Iroha, Toradora!)
Character Design: Mikan Ehime (Macross F)
Director: Yoshimasa Hiraike (Working!!, Amagami SS, Sketchbook ~fill color's~)
Executive Producer: Toshimichi Ootsuki (Rebuild of Evangelion)
Animation Production: Satelight (Macross F, Aquarion)

The anime will start next Spring, and will be about 9 "Idol candidates" who aspire to become like the Top8 elected AKB48 idols featured in the show. The voices for the 9 main characters will be chosen out of the 200 idols in the AKB groups, in a series of selections. The Top 8 elected AKB48 idols seem to be the actual ones who are the most popular right now.

Shoji Kawamori says that he hopes that using the proud animation that Japan has to offer, combined with the latest in CG techniques, they can truly show off the professional spirit of the Idols in this anime production. Lol.

uYGPC.jpg

This is an illustation image showing what the top8 elected idols might look like in anime form.

ESTYO.jpg

This is the official character design art for 9 main characters who are the idol candidates. (lol)

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Lord of the Seas: Return of the Squid 03: Cephalopods are to canines what krill are to cetaceans.

Was that a Dragon Quest reference? That's some great squidservice.

Ika-chan > Madoka. Kelp at me, bros!

Andrew J.

Gundam AGE 02

I like this battleship captain. He gets shit done.

The AGE system would have seemed much more preposterous a few years ago before 3D printers started taking off.

"This is the beam rifle that will pierce the heavens!"

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Were you guys around when Squid Girl season 1 was airing?

I'll probably wait to watch Fate/Zero till after I finish the main game. I still have Tsukihime to play through completely. I have only completed Arc's route >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom