• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

iavi

Jintor said:

This was really funny. I'm a complete sucker for any comedic portrayal of religious zealotry. "That ghost will begin haunting again! Like a soul who doesn't know Jesus, floating without purpose." Killed me.

e: Wow, this really is hilarious. Why does this sound like professional actors are troll dubbing this? I swear I hear Chris Patton in there.

e2: Looking it up, I really do hear Chris Patton. Holy shit, this is official. Talk about dubbing right.

C3 3

That was one of the creepiest cuts I have ever seen in an anime. You guys that saw the episode know which one I'm talking about.

Man, they really went full on Cerebus Syndrome here. Not an ounce of comedy at all... until the post-credits scene. Don't know how much I'm anticipating this show being bipolar about the genre it's in. I can only hope there's more
crazy action horror drama
than typical harem antics. Next episode seems to be more the latter based on the title, but that could be misleading.

Anyway, there were some cool effects this episode. I liked the slow motion rain scene.

Renmei said:
Hah! In Army finance we someones use times year - month day! 20111015 or 111015 rawr! Another accepted army format is 15 OCT 2011, this is the only one I use. No way anyone can misunderstand it.
The last one of those definitely seems like the most sane.

Jexhius said:
For Hitokage, as he recommended it:

[Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki 4]

During the opening of this episode I was genuinely confused. I really thought I was somehow watching the wrong show. I mean, I assumed I was watching a ‘harem show’ and instead I was treated to all this:

Battles!

http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz278/Jexhius/tm4a.jpg

Space stations!

http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz278/Jexhius/tm4c.jpg

Vulcans!

http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz278/Jexhius/tm4b.jpg

The opening sequence focuses exclusively on world building, plot set-up and new character introduction. They didn’t return to the main cast of characters for a whole six minutes. That’s like, 25% of the whole episode. That’s interesting for a couple.

Firstly, is a harem show that cares about setting up some kind of plotline, and it’s not just drivel. It’s kind of pulpy, 80’s era science fiction, which in itself, is very enjoyable. The show doesn’t just use the genre as window dressing either; it ties directly into the characters and plot. Oh, and I really dig the shows actual aesthetics, that's some sweet mechanical design.

Secondly, they don’t try to compress anything down. This new character isn’t just dropped into the current cast – they have a fairly lengthy introduction, which is really nice to see. It’s not like they’re the most amazing, well-written characters around, but the show treats them with a certain amount of respect.

The episode sure switches gears fast though, as we arrive here:

http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz278/Jexhius/tm4d.jpg

Yep, its your classic hotsprings/bathhouse episode – except, not quite. Yes, the character dynamic established beforehand leads to a plenty of scenes featuring the usual raunchy hyjinx but this is modified nicely by the particular powers these characters. In other words, they have the same kind of quarrels as you’d usually see, but now the fights can get a little out of hand.

http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz278/Jexhius/tm4e.jpg

Another interesting thing to note is that the show manages to switch between different moods and tones quite well, rather like Gintama. One minute we are in comedy routine, the next minute our protagonists are actually in danger! Hell, this episode even has a dramatic cliff-hanger conclusion, which forced to check out the next one immediately. It’s pretty great.
http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz278/Jexhius/tm4f.jpg

For those who might be put off by this show because it's a "harem work", don't be. There was a time when that didn't automatically mean 'bad, low quality series'. This OVA is a really fun show that was clearly made with a lot of love, and it reminds me of a period that has now passed into anime history.
Yeah, Tenchi Muyo, the OVA series (the first two OVA serieses), isn't too bad. It's not great, but it is okay and some fun. It does feel generic, but a lot of that is because of how everything else has copied it... and yeah, you are right that it did actually put some real work into the plot and character backgrounds, it's not just a throwaway thing put in there to get them together.

Obsessed said:
So basically people that like her either like her for her looks, or have a dominatrix fetish. Or both. Or they want to "tame" her.

Either way she is a shitty character who only has sex appeal?
No, for a female anime character she's probably above average...

The problem is how bad female anime characters usually are.

Dresden said:
She started smiling once he
put his dick in her.

Yeah, Mansuit Saber is a big improvement.

Yeah, I agree.

Jexhius said:
That pretty much covers a wide range of anime/manga writers attempting to write "strong female characters".
Indeed, it's a big problem, and they're really bad at it.

Wheeljack539 said:
Its pretty much
one girl per route. Rin only participated in the first bit (the threesome) because she was the only one who knew how to correctly do the prana exchange(which was the entire reason for this to begin with). Shirou and Saber do share a second time together, and Saber shyfully plays it off as needing another 'exchange'.

Second route is more or less Rin's route, and their need for that is Shirou is the one that needs extra power to fight our Golden asshole. Still, Rin does fall for him in that route.

Third route is Sakura, who ends up getting the most screen time in that. There is one scene though of Shirou and Rin, however it was more or less a dream-induced sequence by Rider as she siphoned off energy from Shirou.

The only other threesome in in the sequel Fate Hollow Ataraxia, another Rider dream sequence in which she is a participant with Sakura.
Right, basically there's one girl in each route.
And as for that threesome, I agree -- it'sa threesome, I guess, but Shirou only does anything with one girl, Saber, not the other; Rin is just there to help out and show him what to do, pretty much. He only does anything with Rin in her route.

I think you meant that
The Ilya route was planned and scrapped, as thats what I remember from the interview that I think you're referring to.
Isn't there an Iliya H-scene in the first game, though, even though she doesn't have a route?

Ben-to 2 - This show is great stuff, really one of the best shows of the season so far. It's a complete surprise, I don't know if anyone was really expecting this to be good, but it is... the idea is completely absurd, but that's the whole point. While the characters take this idea -- vicious battles over half-price bento boxes -- quite seriously, the viewer simply can't, so it's all just completely ridiculous. Fortunately, that split works pretty well here. This is a good battle harem show. I'm wondering where the plot's going to go now, there are plenty of plot elements and questions to answer...

On that note, the battle element definitely takes prescedence over the harem element, but yes, it is harem, of course. Oh well... at least the female characters are reasonably interesting, for the genre. I wonder whether the lesbian girl will fall in love with him too... if it follows genre convention it's likely, unfortunately, but we'll see.

Hellsing321 said:
Ben-to 2

:lol This show is so dumb and ridiculous and so earnest in its pursuit to be dumb trashy entertainment I can't help but love it. All the terminology and mythos, and speeches about honor interspersed with the numerous male-gaze shots make me laugh out loud almost every minute.
Yeah, Ben-to is great. As for the male gaze stuff, it is true that it's there, yeah... provides a lot of blatant fanservice, and also shows the character's thoughts too, if they wanted an excuse for it. It's kind of overdone at times, but oh well, it is believable that he'd be looking like that, I think...

firehawk12 said:
Ben-to 2: Take the self-importance and tired cliches of the Asian-action genre and export them into a concept that makes no real sense whatsover, throw in tons of male gaze shots and bouncing breasts, and suddenly you have an anime series. This really is the next Highschool of the Dead. I'm shocked by how efficient this show is... it even has a stalker lesbian.
I don't quite see the HSotD comparisons several of you make though, Ben-to has nowhere near that level of fanservice so far. I mean, it does have it for sure, but not like that show does!

scy said:
Well, I'm not 100% sure either now that I try to think of precise mismatched gender examples (barring one other:
Ii Naomasa, with Naomasa being one of the students, though I can't imagine one of the students being one of the big four Generals...
; I might have jumped to a conclusion there based off some of the dialogue and some of the names.

Anyway, there's a few names that match up with historical figures at least partially and, considering the scenario, it feels like they're supposed to be references. Off-hand, of the main cast:
Shirojiro, Kiyonari, Naomasa, and Naruse call to mind things from the period that they could be referencing, though not a single one is a full name match to make this rather obvious

The old man (Musashi's Principal) is a pretty big and obvious one so far though:
Sakai Tadatsugu
; it's pretty "obvious" since that's his actual name so it's not even guessing at who he's "supposed" to be.
Alright, so we'll have to see going forward, as far as names go, I think. It'll definitely be something to watch.

Plus,
there's always the option that some "take on" a role based off their actions, regardless of gender; Masazumi felt more like a casting call thing
. Regardless, sad story.
The episode did say that they did it in order to try to make it more likely that she'd be picked, not because it was required -- so as I said, that led me to think that it's because they were being sexist and thinking that being the same gender as the person would help, so they'd to that, not because they had to if they wanted it to be an option at all. But yeah, we don't really know, it doesn't explain enough to say for sure.
It's certainly sad whatever the explanation though.

Well, Kimi asked her to give her help, not Toori. But, yeah, still should have been some suspicion. Probably more there for the slapstick of it.
And it's not just her brother, Kimi's pretty flaky too... she definitely should have been suspicious. Only the generic stereotypical scene they wanted to have happen kept that from happening.

Yeah, it really feels more like "I want to use a high school student setting ... now how do I explain this..." thing. We'll see, though; maybe there's something behind it besides that.

Though, I really doubt it.
I really doubt it as well. I mean, I expect more "explanation", but it'll just be more justification for why things are the way the author wants them to be, not actual reasons that really make sense and actually justify the idea. :)

zeroshiki

A Black Falcon said:
Ben-to 2 - This show is great stuff, really one of the best shows of the season so far. It's a complete surprise, I don't know if anyone was really expecting this to be good, but it is... the idea is completely absurd, but that's the whole point. While the characters take this idea -- viscous battles over half-price bento boxes -- quite seriously, the viewer simply can't, so it's all just completely ridiculous. Fortunately, that split works pretty well here. This is a good battle harem show. I'm wondering where the plot's going to go now, there are plenty of plot elements and questions to answer...

ewww...

I don't think I'm watching this show after all.

duckroll

The 2012 calendar for Code Geass also features 2 new illustrations for Akito, including an unannounced female character:

fLD9w.jpg

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jexhius said:
No, that isn't the same at all.

If your opinion are automatically dismissed, then no one reads them or engages with them. If you just happen to have a different opinion from the majority ever week, that's clearly different. It can't be helped that most people have a different view to yours!
Sure, but when differing opinions are summarily dismissed, it's about the same result. I mean, I can see why people see groupthink in this thread or at least passive-aggressive bullying.

zeroshiki said:
I thought you were my friend but you refuse to watch Guilty Crown and dismissed Ohana as the same old crap.

If you tell me you didn't watch Usagi Drop, we're gonna have to return rosaries =(

Lafiel said:
the only time i was like "what?" in reaction to one of his opinions was his "tokyo arc" complaints in ohana.:p
Imagine if Friday Night Lights ended with Coach Taylor beating his wife and staying in Texas to coach football. That's basically what the Tokyo Arc was like to me. Massive betrayalthon by the writers. :p

duckroll said:
My nakama will not let me down. He'll come around eventually.
Suit-Wearing Saber all over your face?

Miri said:
Gintama, nonstop.
Indeed!

Steroyd

Maji de Watashi - 03

Holy crap at the beginning lol.

Watching this all the way through on principle, MC is self aware that his harem or at least parts of his harem are into him and isn't afraid to ask a girl out, a simple reason sure, but it's so refreshing after a plethora of rage inducing harem leads.

Shouta

Miri said:
This was really funny. I'm a complete sucker for any comedic portrayal of religious zealotry. "That ghost will begin haunting again! Like a soul who doesn't know Jesus, floating without purpose." Killed me.

e: Wow, this really is hilarious. Why does this sound like professional actors are troll dubbing this? I swear I hear Chris Patton in there.

e2: Looking it up, I really do hear Chris Patton. Holy shit, this is official. Talk about dubbing right.

Lisa Ortiz is in there too. I'm pretty sure anyway.

Edit: Or not! Hillary Haag. Goddamn ADV cast. Sounded like Ortiz in the video though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Steroyd said:
Maji de Watashi - 03

Holy crap at the beginning lol.

Watching this all the way through on principle, MC is self aware that his harem or at least parts of his harem are into him and isn't afraid to ask a girl out, a simple reason sure, but it's so refreshing after a plethora of rage inducing harem leads.
Naw, that's old hat too sadly. He's still spineless because he doesn't see any of the other girls as viable mates and the one girl he likes is completely out of reach, so status-quo forever. Honestly, after Amagami SS, I think the anthology format is the happy medium between School Days and every other modern harem ever.

Ben-To 2

That was just fucking great! Seeing the MC finally picking up the pace and becoming a wolf was great, and I totally lost it at seeing the boar beating the wolves.

Ben-To 2

That was... fun. I'm genuinely shocked.

The earnestness with which they treat this ridiculous premise really helps sell it.

What is it with this season and terrible first episodes?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
scy said:
Wait wait wait, the Ben-To hype is legitimate?
It's amazing.

---

Gintama' 230:

n5l4Wl.jpg

Hey, Kugiloli makes an appearance!

You know, it's funny how I'm used to the music cues in the show now. You know an emotional moment is happening when the piano theme plays and when the emotional denouement occurs when the harmonica theme plays. Yet, even after this many episodes, I don't mind at all even if the plot didn't make actual sense!

Also, the villain has the most awesome nonsensical Engrish name ever.

Miri said:

They are troll dubbing it. That's why it's awesome.

Renmei

Banned
Jintor said:
Haha I remember the minor shitstorm when it was revealed that the official release was a parody dub. I watched the first two episodes fansubbed and it was a very generic show so I didn't mind the dub. This and Shinesmen are my 2 go to examples of dubs that are far superior to the original japanese translation.

Renmei said:
Haha I remember the minor shitstorm when it was revealed that the official release was a parody dub. I watched the first two episodes fansubbed and it was a very generic show so I didn't mind the dub. This and Shinesmen are my 2 go to examples of dubs that are far superior to the original japanese translation.

Yu Yu Hakusho was pretty good.

Duel Masters dub is godlike.

Renmei

Banned
Infinite Justice said:
Yu Yu Hakusho was pretty good.

Duel Masters dub is godlike.
YYH dub is indeed well done, but the original was already damn good. I never watched Duel Masters so I won't comment. But the original Shinesmen and Gakkou no Kaidan/Ghost Stories were pretty bleh and the hilarious English dubs elevated them to awesome status. Shinesmen trailer

cajunator

Banned
Obsessed said:
So basically people that like her either like her for her looks, or have a dominatrix fetish. Or both. Or they want to "tame" her.

Either way she is a shitty character who only has sex appeal?
No. she's just cute.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
hosannainexcelsis said:
Kaasan - Mom's Life 1

(I prefer "Everyday Mom" as a translation of the title though.)

It's a simple sketch comedy show about the travails of a working mother dealing with "kids will be kids" and "husbands will be husbands". I could see people getting bored with this, but I like it. I'm glad to see a mainstream show for the whole family that does comedy drawn from real life so well. The opening segment with the kids drawing on the wall with crayons reminded me of times when I did the same thing as a child and my mom reacted in pretty much the same way. It's very charming and heartfelt; the final segment even made me tear up a little.

It's not quite Usagi Drop, especially in the production values, but anyone who misses that show might find some of what they enjoyed about it in here.

Ah, I missed this post. So you ended up checking it out after all? Are the episodes full length?

A Black Falcon said:
Isn't there an Iliya H-scene in the first game, though, even though she doesn't have a route?

No, there's no such scene of that in the game. I think you may be confused when
Ilya mind control's Shirou to her mansion/castle in the forest. There's a cg of her sitting on Shirou's lap that does look questionable, but its of her trying to get him on her side.

There is a humorous 4-koma strip of Ilya floating around where's she's at a computer looking all focused and at the end Taiga finally appearing to tell her, "It doesn't matter how many times you play it, there is no Ilya Route!".

iavi

firehawk12 said:

hP0Jh.gif

It's time to wolfist, son. Though, I am lacking, intentionally. I'm trying to let it build up a bit so I can mini-marathon it, but your hyping of this arc is killing me softly. I have 3 eps so far.

Shouta said:
Lisa Ortiz is in there too. I'm pretty sure anyway.

Edit: Or not! Hillary Haag. Goddamn ADV cast. Sounded like Ortiz in the video though.

Haha, yeah. I don't know any of the other actor's names, but I did recognize that another one or two of them were from FMP. I actually think that show had one of the better dubs.

scy said:
Wait wait wait, the Ben-To hype is legitimate?

So incredibly legit. These past few days have been a whole heap of great in terms animes being funny: Bokutomo, Ghost stories, Ben-To. I love it.

-Minsc-

firehawk12 said:
It's amazing.

---

Gintama' 230:
Hey, Kugiloli makes an appearance!

You know, it's funny how I'm used to the music cues in the show now. You know an emotional moment is happening when the piano theme plays and when the emotional denouement occurs when the harmonica theme plays. Yet, even after this many episodes, I don't mind at all even if the plot didn't make actual sense!

Also, the villain has the most awesome nonsensical Engrish name ever.

kagura_peep.png

As for the music, it's a testament to how good the tracks are.

Jex

zeroshiki said:
I remember him complaining about the length and the dudes walking around each other. I don't think he watched ep2.
I think everyone, rightly, complained about that.

Jex

firehawk12 said:
Sure, but when differing opinions are summarily dismissed, it's about the same result. I mean, I can see why people see groupthink in this thread or at least passive-aggressive bullying.
I don't think that's necessarily happening, it's just that people disagree with a certain position quite often. If it was happening, that would be stupid, because then what's the point of posting/replying on an internet forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom