• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aigis said:
I don't think anybody is missing out on this

Because a whole show should totally be judged on a single frame.

Tiger and Bunny 6

So this is where Ouroboros comes into play. Glad the overarching plot is starting.

Jex

PdotMichael said:
Patlabor OVA - 4

http://i.imgur.com/Z3EJJ.gif

That was a nice mystery episode, Kanuka is again the best character but I completely forgot how non-mecha centric the first half of the OVA was.
Mhmmm, background animation. Delicious.

Even though I still like the OVA, I think the TV series is superior.

Reknoc said:
Ben-to 6

Well I'm glad that arc is over, I hope this means
we never have to see The Monarch again, the soundeffect used for him handling his nuts went right through me

Oh, I don't think I mentioned that I like the music used in this; well I do. The music used for the big fight during this episode was particularly good.
Yeah the music is excellent in this and they know how to use it for comedic effect and raising tension. The music that was playing when
Monarch Butterfly was tearfully putting on the discount stickers had me in stitches

Jex

The Idolm@ster 18

idol181.jpg

I actually watched this last week, but I never got around to writing about it. Which is odd, considering this is probably the best episode of the show to date.

This is hardly the first well directed episode of the show but it's the first one that I actually cared about the plot from beginning to end and didn't feel rather bored watching. Perhaps it was the focus on this particular character that did it, I'm not really sure.

Anyway, the cinematography was good throughout, there were very few 'lazy' shots, like the classic shot-reverse-shot over the shoulder. Instead they kept it fresh, so that even when we returned to a space that we've already seen that episode, like the practice room, we're seeing it from a different perspective and angle. It's minor touches like that which kept it varied and interesting.

idol182.jpg

Reknoc

Regulus Tera said:
Eh, it doesn't look any worse than Reboot and everyone loves that. Maybe in motion it's total shit, however!

Loves or Loved? I think people would complain about it, now it's no longer blowing our childish minds!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Rocky 3 Bento 6:

V5KT2l.jpg

"You want to ring the bell?"
"Alright... Ding Ding."

If you're going to reference a fighting scene about bros duking it out for the sake of honour, then there really isn't any other choice.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
You actually don't see much of it in motion. There's a teaser flyby shot at the beginning of every ep but beyond that it's helped by having a cloaking device.

Hunter x Hunter R 7

And we get our first taste of Killua's talents. That's good since it probably means we won't get any plot censorship.

With the tower starting next episode, the moment of truth is almost upon us. Will the show incorporate massive censorship and omit the tone shifts, or will we be in the clear when and if this version actually gets around to the Chimera Ant arc?

Jex

Just before y'all thinking "Man, this Queen Emeraldas must be a real ugly show" I probably should post some pictures from what the show actually looks like.

Queen Emeraldas 1

Despite being made in 1998, this OVA is a serious recreation of a late 70's Leiji Matsumoto work. Which means it's a pretty standard and enjoyable story about boys becoming men, honour and bad guys who are bad because they drink wine and attack in underhanded fashion.

I mean, just look at this guy, he's holding wine, shouting wildly and rocking rad sideburns.

QueenEmeraldas12.jpg

Of course, it's also important to have a young kid for audience to connect with, or something. He's fully of shounen energy and that never give up spirit, but because this is trying to be anime from the good ol' days he gets crap beaten out of him. In proper pastel colours!

Child abuse!

QueenEmeraldas14.jpg

If you're familiar with Captain Harlock you may wonder how Emeraldas does as a stand in for that very same roll. In short: she's awesome. Exactly what you'd hope out of a protaganist in this kind of work, light on dialogue, heavy on dramatic flair, a ridiculous marksmen and the owner of an excellent costume:

QueenEmeraldas11.jpg

QueenEmeraldas15.jpg

The strangest thing about this OVA is, despite that really ugly CG in the opening and ending, it actually has lots of traditional mechanical animation. Which is weird, but I'm not complaining. Those details!

QueenEmeraldas13.jpg

Reknoc

The skull and crossbones hairclip is cute. I'm sure if more pirates, space or otherwise, wore them we'd be living in a better world.
Well, probably less so if they are space pirates.

trejo

The thing that stood out to me the most when I watched it was the titular character's penchant to make damn sure everyone knew full well what her name was. Like, every other sentence that came out of her was invariably 'watashi wa Emeraldas!'

That, and some pretty sweet
beamspam
towards the end.

Jex

Anyway, even if she is just the Matsumoto girl stuffed in Harlock's outfit that doesn't stop it from being cool:

emerldasdesign.jpg

cajunator

Banned
Marrshu said:
... we are never getting a Stellvia sequel, are we? ;_;
Nope never. but it was good while it lasted. I bought all 8 volumes of the DVDs.
I only have one other 26 episode show with such a monstrous DVD count and that is Kiddy Grade.

Ben-To 6

The big fight was quite disappointing,
I didn't expect Monarch would go so low and have the guts to call himself a wolf.
I look forward to the next arc, and Oshiroi's pulling all the stops in muscle cop.lol

Kaper

Miri said:
Working'!! 7

As hilarious as this episode was, as funny as Katanashi's midnight groans of despair were, I still think the award for the funniest character has to go to Souma & his asshole giggles. I swear, he wasn't in this episode but for those scenes, and such effective scenes they were. Best directed show of the season continues to be show of the season. Hoorah.

I agree 100%. The only downside to ep. 7 was how little Yamada was in it. Season 2 absolutely blows season 1 out of the water for overall quality. I don't want it to end :(

Articalys

Reports are apparently coming in from the big Tiger & Bunny event today that there is a movie in the works, possibly two of them. No confirmed source yet except random tweets and the usual 2ch posts.

e: Okay, here we go, with an official image:
The staff of the Tiger & Bunny anime announced during the Hero Awards 2011 event on Sunday that production on two films has been green-lit; the first film is planned for next year. The staff previewed previously unseen footage at the event.

The event was held twice during the daytime and nighttime; the daytime attendees were asked not to reveal the announcement until the end of the second event, but the time that the embargo was supposed to end was miscommunicated as 8:00 p.m. (6:00 a.m. EST) instead of 9:00 p.m. (7:00 a.m. EST).

The event itself will be released on Blu-ray and DVD on April 20.
There was also a pretty badass live-action skit with real Wild Tiger and Barnaby suits, with the actor in the former being from Kamen Rider.

e2: There are a bunch of new pictures over at Dengeki Online: http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/426/426026/

12yUt.jpg

mAcOdIn

Ben-to

Overall this was a pretty decent episode, I genuinely enjoy Yarizui's sideways glances, everyone's headstrong determination and the overselling of this absurd situation.

What I didn't like was how they
totally fucking skipped the fight between Saito and Shaga! What a bunch of fucking cock teases.

mAcOdIn

Steroyd said:
Ben-To - 06

All of this over half priced food. :lol
Haha, I love it because it's like the characters are aware of it and purposely pushing it to the extreme.
Like Yarizui and Saito were at that convenience store yesterday and there was no infiltration required, now when she's going to go the following morning she's gotta "infiltrate" it like she's Solid Snake. And her idea of infiltration was defined by her walking to the East side in the middle of the road between both lanes of traffic! She's just too awesome to sneak.

/XX/

Jexhius said:
Anyway, the cinematography was good throughout, there were very few 'lazy' shots, like the classic shot-reverse-shot over the shoulder. Instead they kept it fresh, so that even when we returned to a space that we've already seen that episode, like the practice room, we're seeing it from a different perspective and angle. It's minor touches like that which kept it varied and interesting.
It's cool how the series is structured to incorporate those detailed backgrounds, those known places from the games, in a very similar and careful fashion as a recall, but at the same time you can see them in different ways.

duckroll said:
There might be more cash-in anime movies coming out in 2012 than worthwhile TV series. Lulz.
Road-shows everywhere! Maybe we will see in the future a considerable reduced influence of TV stations as a promotional platform for animated projects.

C3 7
tumblr_lul3akriVG1qzvtljo1_250.gif

Awkward insert of comedy, but I did chuckle. First half was dull. I really dont like the fanservicey aspects. The antagonist doesnt compare to the first one though, her personality was unmatched.

Jex

Sure is quiet in here.

Fate/Zero 7

It feels like the series has found a nice rhythm at this point, by which I mean the 'talky sections' are still there, as they should be, but they aren't incredibly overwhelming.

I can't really say that I care for most of the cast, but any scene involving Rider and Waver is genuinely enjoyable, regardless of what they are actually doing. It's just a good character match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom