• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

[Gauche the Cellist - Movie]

gauche3.jpg

This is a movie about a guy named Gauche, pictured above. As you can see, he’s a pretty average fella. He plays the cello in a small local orchestra, but he’s not really anything special. He doesn’t dream of conquering the world stage or changing the face of music, he just practices the cello diligently for an upcoming concert. Along the way he gets some help from some…unusual places.

That’s the whole movie, basically. You should all watch it! It's kind of hard to explain why, as there isn't really any wacky 'hooks'. Most of the film is based on visuals and music, not story or character. I guess the best reason to watch it is because it's a thoroughly enjoyable experience. It's just fun.

It’s really short too, with a 60 minute run time. That all might sound incredibly boring and maybe it would have been if it hadn’t been directed by the Studio Ghibli veteran Isao Takahata. Thanks to his talents this movie is an incredibly polished gem. I don’t think there’s a single thing wrong with the way this movie is made, which is a pretty rare state of affairs, because of this level of craftsmanship the film is simply a joy to watch. This is especially true in how skilfully audio and visual elements are mixed together. Yes, the ‘story’ is very basic, but that means that it’s also easy to connect with and enjoy.

Of course, this means that unlike certain Takahata works, like Grave of the Fireflies, this is the kind of movie that anyone could enjoy, it’s certainly fair game for the whole family. It's not even steeped in genre tropes, it's really an accessible piece.

gauche5.jpg

If you’ll allow me to talk briefly about how the film is put together, there are quite a few things to talk about. Firstly there’s the excellent character animation. As the scale of the action is so…mundane and small the animators really go town in creating beautiful motion for all the characters, whatever the species. This really sells the movie as a whole in a way you might not notice as you're watching, but would be painfully apparent if it wasn't present.

With such an incredibly basic premise, very few developed characters and no fancy location there’s very little to for a director hide behind. The question then becomes, how do you make a guy playing music all day in his shack, and occasionally in other locations, interesting enough for an audience? Shockingly enough, there’s no easy solution, but luckily there’s some room to get creative if you try really hard.

gauche1.jpg

For example, you have the orchestra playing during a storm, but then this merges into them literally playing inside the storm, becoming one with it’s howling winds and lashing rain. This scene only works because it’s subtle; the editing makes the transition feel natural, rather than painfully abrupt. This scene could have just been the orchestra playing in the storm, edited against particularly dramatic bouts of lightning, or something. That would be the easy way to do it, at least. Here though, Takahata went for a more interesting approach. This is present throughout the film in a number of ways, some obvious and some subtle. Individually these scenes are noteworthy, but when the movie strings them together on a fairly continuous basis it starts to become fairly impressive. All the minor details really work together to make a very cohesive and satisfying movie on a visual and aural level, which is essential when making a movie all about music.

Also, that dammed cat! Look how smug he appears!

gauche4.jpg

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
You should have written more about the cat, Jex. He is clearly the best character in the whole movie.
Pictures are really more appropriate, I think, for this feline. They could have just called the whole movie "that damn cat!"

gauche6.jpg

gauche8.jpg

gauche9.jpg

gauche10.jpg

Ezalc

So I just started watching Noir because of two songs (Canta per Me and Salva Nos) what am I in for here? I'm still in the first episode and already there's amnesia. Also if anybody can suggests more songs like the two I just mentioned that would be wonderful.

DiGiKerot

Ezalc said:
So I just started watching Noir because of two songs (Canta per Me and Salva Nos) what am I in for here? I'm still in the first episode and already there's amnesia. Also if anybody can suggests more songs like the two I just mentioned that would be wonderful.

You're in for hearing Canta per Me and Salva Nos an awful lot...

And, generally speaking, there's songs like those on practically everything Yuki Kajiura has done music for.

duckroll

Ezalc said:

Girls with Guns. Suggested lesbianism. Ridiculous killing methods. Probably the best Bee Train Girls with Guns series, since it's the first one.

Ezalc

icarus-daedelus said:
You should really just listen to the whole soundtrack instead of watching the show.

Damn, the songs and hot blonde were making things look so positive.

DiGiKerot said:
You're in for hearing Canta per Me and Salva Nos an awful lot...

And, generally speaking, there's songs like those on practically everything Yuki Kajiura has done music for.

Could you provide an example please?

duckroll said:
Girls with Guns. Suggested lesbianism. Ridiculous killing methods. Probably the best Bee Train Girls with Guns series, since it's the first one.
Suggested lesbianism and crazy killing techniques are always good. Though I'm worried about getting sick of the two aforementioned songs.

Jex

Ezalc said:
There really are better girls with guns shows. Oh, and plenty of of better straight-up-shows, of course.

Ezalc

Jexhius said:
There really are better girls with guns shows. Oh, and plenty of of better straight-up-shows, of course.

Guess there's no point in watching it then. I want to watch LoGH it's just that I don't know if I can make it through more than 160 episodes of it. Does the animation quality drop from the movie to the series? Is the hair as fabulous as always?

Jex

Ezalc said:
Guess there's no point in watching it then. I want to watch LoGH it's just that I don't know if I can make it through more than 160 episodes of it. Does the animation quality drop from the movie to the series? Is the hair as fabulous as always?
For a start, and so I can sound like an arse, Legend of the Galatic Heroes is not a series, it's an OVA. A very, very long OVA.

As you might expect, the quality of animation in the OVA's is not as good as in the movies.

Ezalc

Jexhius said:
For a start, and so I can sound like an arse, Legend of the Galatic Heroes is not a series, it's an OVA. A very, very long OVA.

As you might expect, the quality of animation in the OVA's is not as good as in the movies.

I know that it's a long OVA but it saddens me that there is a quality drop.

DiGiKerot

Ezalc said:
Could you provide an example please?

I'm really not joking when I say there's something similar on most Kajiura OSTs, particularly if we're talking similar to Salva Nos - that string-infused-electronic-psuedo-techo-chanty-thing was really her whole shtick for a few years.

If you have after specific examples, it's a little wood-for-trees situation, and the Kajiura stuff I like isn't necessarily the stuff you'd be interested in, but let's see...

Mezame (My-HiME)
M15+16+17 (Kara no Kyoukai)
Margaret (Madlax)
Materialise (My-ZHiME)
Image Theme of Xenosaga II
Magia (Madoka Magica)

And goodness knows what else I'm missing. Kajiura was very prolific for a few years, and it's all kind-of the same.

Oh, and Madlax is totally better than Noir, just because it's so damn bonkers.

Ezalc

icarus-daedelus said:
There are only (lol) 110 episodes in the series proper.

Lol indeed. But apparently there are side stories, and after watching 110 episodes you might as well finish the entire thing. But dat drop in hair quality.

DiGiKerot said:
I'm really not joking when I say there's something similar on most Kajiura OSTs, particularly if we're talking similar to Salva Nos - that string-infused-electronic-psuedo-techo-chanty-thing was really her whole shtick for a few years.

Oh, and Madlax is totally better than Noir, just because it's so damn bonkers.

Well I was thinking more of the acoustic guitar or whatever instrument plays in Canta per Me thing. It sounds a bit like that Mediterranean Spanish/Italian music that is similar to Niji no Kanata in Gun x Sword. Thanks for the links though, I'll give them a listen.

Dynedom

Ezalc said:
I know that it's a long OVA but it saddens me that there is a quality drop.

You don't watch LoGH just for the animation. The meat of it is the storyline, characters, politics and military tactics. It's also technically only 110 episode if you don't include the prequels and side-story OVA's. It's long but it's worth it.

edit: God dammit icarus

DiGiKerot

Ezalc said:
Well I was thinking more of the acoustic guitar or whatever instrument plays in Canta per Me thing. It sounds a bit like that Mediterranean Spanish/Italian music that is similar to Niji no Kanata in Gun x Sword. Thanks for the links though, I'll give them a listen.

Ah, in that particular case, I have nothing - that's just the small tinge of local flavour added to Noir due to the setting

Ezalc

DiGiKerot said:
Ah, in that particular case, I have nothing - that's just the small tinge of local flavour added to Noir due to the setting

I was afraid of this. Either way, I greatly appreciate the help.

Jex

Dynedom said:
You don't watch LoGH just for the animation. The meat of it is the storyline, characters, politics and military tactics. It's also technically only 110 episode if you don't include the prequels and side-story OVA's. It's long but it's worth it.

edit: God dammit icarus
That's right, it's not really an animation showcase. There's thankfully plenty of other works that are, but it's not one of them.

Ezalc

Jexhius said:
That's right, it's not really an animation showcase. There's thankfully plenty of other works that are, but it's not one of them.

I can't watch an 80's show and be subjected to current follicles. I need the high quality hair man. It's basically a deal breaker. At least it is until I stop being lazy about watching all 100+ episodes.

Steroyd

Peach Girl (Complete)

Blargh!

The outcome was too predictable (it was in the OP ffs), okay so maybe not the destination but the journey? Nope. Main girl ping pong'd between both guys so much I started to doubt if my shojou script #1 was right, so kudos for achieving that buuuut the love triangle was so tedious that like Suzuka, you ain't fooling me so just get to the point already.

Was much better when everyone in class hated on the main girl, thanks to super mega bitch pulling the strings behind the scenes, sadly that only lasted about 9 eps, then it devolved into shoujo gunna shoujo.

Blargh!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Steroyd said:
Peach Girl (Complete)

Blargh!

The outcome was too predictable (it was in the OP ffs), okay so maybe not the destination but the journey? Nope. Main girl ping pong'd between both guys so much I started to doubt if my shojou script #1 was right, so kudos for achieving that buuuut the love triangle was so tedious that like Suzuka, you ain't fooling me so just get to the point already.

Was much better when everyone in class hated on the main girl, thanks to super mega bitch pulling the strings behind the scenes, sadly that only lasted about 9 eps, then it devolved into shoujo gunna shoujo.

Blargh!

Wait, you finished a 50 episode shoujo and then a 25 episode shoujo in like 2 weeks?!

trejo

Ben-To 6

If this were just your regular battle shounen with a tired old premise, it would be completely forgettable. But the fact that it all revolves around half-priced lunchboxes pretty much raises it to a level all its own.

DELICIOUS FOOD.

firehawk12 said:
Wait, you finished a 50 episode shoujo and then a 25 episode shoujo in like 2 weeks?!
Dude is in the zone!

Dynedom

Jexhius said:

And even though parts of it are borrowed, the soundtrack is another great thing about the show. That's something I clearly forgot about before this RTTP I'm on.

edit: I'm actually not a classical music buff so apologies if all of the orchestral stuff in LoGH is borrowed. If that's the case, it's an example of great song selection then.

Tiger & Bunny 7

Lunatic seems cool. All good superhero shows need a big bad and this guy seems pretty impressive if not a by the book. Light Yagami type villains are always welcome.

Gintama 118

I had judged the Ryugu arc as one of the lighter serious arcs, but this episode turned out to be one of the more emotionally effective moments of the whole show.
I'm surprised and very happy they didn't go with the usual Death Equals Redemption here.
That last scene...

Over halfway there!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
icarus-daedelus said:
Now I know why Hitokage likes the former and I've never even heard of the latter.
Or, you know, it could be the lighthearted free-for-all nature of the work, the absurd animation, or various music tracks used. Not that lesbianism isn't a selling point, it just doesn't stand alone when you consider bad shows like Noir.

Also, Iczer-1 was fairly decent.

iavi

firehawk12 said:
Are you trapped in a bunker with nothing but an ipad or something?!

Lol, myself, I've actually prefer to watch my shows on my phone now. The screen is so much smaller than my comp or tv, but 4.3 inches is serviceable enough, and you can't beat the comfort of a bed.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Miri said:
Lol, myself, I've actually prefer to watch my shows on my phone now. The screen is so much smaller than my comp or tv, but 4.3 inches is serviceable enough, and you can't beat the comfort of a bed.

VOMIT.jpg

I hope you're not serious. At least watch them on a laptop.

iavi

Lol, I only 'experience' films with the aid of substance abuse. Any other time, I'm just 'watching' and my phone works just fine. I don't have a 5.1/7.1 sound setup though. That could change things, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom