• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
IS OVA - Yeah, it's finally here! Now how about that second season... it better happen!

First things first -- it starts with Char being moe. Good start!

As for this OVA, it's your average entirely plotless fanservice piece. This exists solely for haremizing, as the harem girls all compete for Ichika's affections through the first half
(they all conveniently just happen to show up at his house during vacation, while he's home, starting with Char and then the rest).
Poor England, always the target of "your food is awful" jokes... I can't say it's not true, though. If you want good food in England, go to an Indian restaurant... but yeah, this was funny stuff. Really stupid of course, but funny. Naturally it'd have been better with just Char, most likely, though (
as it is for the first minute or so
) as if the other girls can compete. Oh, and Char's food dish looked like the best one of the four too. :)

Oh, his sister does show up a bit too -- he immediately gets up and offers her tea as soon as she gets home, again annoying the others because of how much he pays attention to her compared to them -- but then she leaves. I think they're trying to leave in enough for people who want to see incest to get the suggestion that it could happen, without actually confirming that either of them actually think of the other that way (ie, it could be that, or just a close sibling relationship), pretty much. That is, basically the exact same thing the first season did.

In the second part, Ichika goes to Houki's temple's festival. That other girl who likes him (his friend's sister) is there, but not the rest of the harem. This part does have Houki in a miko robe and then a yukata, though, and has the usual, expected plot points for a festival episode, done decently well.
The only surprise was that the rest of the harem never shows up.
Ichika is insensitive indeed, paying more attention to that other girl than he does Houki, despite his occasional praise for her...
In the end, she actually confesses to him, but of course it's drowned out by the beginning of the fireworks, so he didn't hear. Naturally.

The end. Yeah, no plot here. That's alright though, it was a decent fanservice-centric OVA. Oh, and yes, there was naked Houki at one point. Just to show that yes, this is an OVA and not the TV show or something? None of the other girls got nude scenes. But of course, she is the main girl of the five in the harem, and is the central one of the second half, so if there was going to be one in this it'd be her.

Houki is easily the worst character in IS, she's almost Kirino-esque.
That's impossible, when Britain, Germany, and China are all worse characters for sure.

France > Japan > Germany > China > Britain, in my opinion.

Infinite Stratos OVA

Looks like we finally have confirmation that Ichikia's romantic density is all an act. The evidence:

http://i.imgur.com/NF7C7.jpg

Only a matter of time before he reveals himself as some kind of mastermind of... something. That will lead into a School Days ending and the world will be safe once again!

Also, I was thinking during the clay charades game thing "that's totally a mountain, but that's too predictable so it won't be that". Then it was a mountain :lol

Or it could be that he just doesn't think about that kind of thing at all, and it was just an unintentional oversight...
Though him saying that Houki looked good in the miko clothes, or whatever exactly he said, not to mention the almost-kiss of the end of ep. 12, do toss a few wrenches that way... still, apart from that he sticks to "I don't know what the concept of romance is" quite closely, pretty much.
So yeah, you could be right, but... I don't think it's an act, I think the idea is supposed to just be that he's a moron and incredibly dense.

I still like the "he's actually a clone of that girl from the last few eps of the first season and that's why he's like this" explanation though... :lol

Oh, and yeah, it was kind of amusing how the clay charades answer was the most obvious thing, instead of something more complex, like most people probably expected. :)

Shouta

They could have cast a cardboard cutout for all the good its gonna do since I'm gonna be starting at Gakky the whole time anyway.

Too man hot women in this. Nabiki is great too. And there's Natsuna. OH LOVELY NATSUNA!

The transformations are usually a quick cut/off scene transformation and a puff of smoke with the accompanying sound so far. Fairly typical.

Shouta

Short cut Gakky! HURRAY! This isn't too bad so far aside from being cheesy, it's doing a pretty good job of summarizing most of the early events in its own original story.

Raide

Short cut Gakky! HURRAY! This isn't too bad so far aside from being cheesy, it's doing a pretty good job of summarizing most of the early events in its own original story.

Its pretty funny in an Anime kind of way. :D

Also enjoying Panda signs. :p

Shouta

Its pretty funny in an Anime kind of way. :D

Also enjoying Panda signs. :p

They totally could've done the panda signs better but it works. And seriously oh god, I can't stop looking at short haired Gakky. If only the manga/anime Akane was this cute.

Edit: And now a two-shot with female Ranma. It's like heaven on TV! Hurray Natsuna!

Infinite Stratos 7:

I've never seen the LNs this show adapts, but the staff for the anime have done an admirable job of keeping the D:AMF ratio in a reasonable balance since the 3rd episode, the only one which doesn't contain a fight so far. The more Epically Dumb the haremshit gets, the more Awesome the mecha fights get too to compensate. This episode finally introduces a mecha with the rape tentacles, and it happens to be Laura's. Somehow, I find this to be appropriate.

Someone should make a compilation movie of the first season of this show which contains only the mecha fights and omits all of the haremshit. The "plot" is so hilariously threadbare that nobody would even notice it was missing anyways.

The whole next episode appears to be a fight as well. This is good.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Bad news Geneijin and you other Horizon masochists (via ANN)

On Friday, the staff of Gakken's Animedia magazine posted an urgent notice about the Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere anime's broadcast information in the magazine's January issue. According to the Animedia staff, the information about broadcast plans beyond episode 13 is in error and has not been confirmed by the anime's production committee. The magazine's staff offered apologies to the readers and everyone involved in the anime.

The January issue reported that the Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere anime will resume airing next April with the 14th episode. The issue will not officially ship until Saturday, but copies have already reached the general public.

Infinite Stratos 8:

33erdl0.jpg

1237405116480-1.jpg

I have no idea what the hell just happened, but holy shit that actually turned out to be awesome.
- Awesome Mecha Fight
- Awesome "Ichika no ecchi."
- Awesome random tsundere violence moments from Japan and China.
- Awesome end to this episode with Germany taking by force what it can't win through negotiations.

Only Charlotte can steal Ichika's heart. He's clueless to everyone else but not to Charlotte. This is as it should be. France > all!

Hmm, next episode is the beach episode.

I'm just going to start referring to everyone by their country of origin. Except for Charlotte.

On Friday, the staff of Gakken's Animedia magazine posted an urgent notice about the Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere anime's broadcast information in the magazine's January issue. According to the Animedia staff, the information about broadcast plans beyond episode 13 is in error and has not been confirmed by the anime's production committee. The magazine's staff offered apologies to the readers and everyone involved in the anime.

The January issue reported that the Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere anime will resume airing next April with the 14th episode. The issue will not officially ship until Saturday, but copies have already reached the general public.

Cant believe I got excited for nothing. A second season is necessary.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
iDOLM@STER 23

Well my body certainly wasn't lady for that. I came for fun and smiles and now I leave all depressed.

;_____;

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
MPD episode 22 is so pretty. I love the ungrounded, surreal staging here. The end of the episode doesn't have the kick it should though.
And not once did he think about how they felt, the selfish bugger.
Exactly. The scene with Himari illustrated this pretty clearly.

Infinite Stratos 9:

vadernoooo-1.jpg

Goddammit.

Just, goddammit.

Godfuckingdammit.

Charlotte is awesome mainly because she more or less says what the audience thinks.

Every time I think that the show has reached it's final Dumb Shift, it manages to evolve to a higher and greater level of Dumb. There was a time when I believed that there was an upper limit to Dumb, after all, once you surpass the Dumb Event Horizon you reach a point where any value higher is irrelevant, there won't be any humans left to consider it anyways. Then I watched this show. I actually wonder, once Dumb surpasses the measurement capability of any instrument humans can construct, is it effectively infinity? Is that what this show's title is supposed to mean? A level of Dumb that is Stratopheric? Infinite Dumbos?

NewFresh

Charlotte is awesome mainly because she more or less says what the audience thinks.

Voice of our generation?

They totally could've done the panda signs better but it works. And seriously oh god, I can't stop looking at short haired Gakky. If only the manga/anime Akane was this cute.

Edit: And now a two-shot with female Ranma. It's like heaven on TV! Hurray Natsuna!
It's crazy how much I'm looking forward to this.

duckroll

Best marketing ploy either. Provide hope, then instill fear, just before the release of the first volume of the DVD/BD. This is really fucking ingenious.

/XX/

Japanese fans killed Mr. Producer with their hostility and indifference towards him!

As a matter of preferences, this is the kind of episode I would have liked even without that kind of inflection point at the end. From the beginning of the series I was expecting some kind of serious competition between the idols, so I wanted to see more of it instead of overly dramatic moments for the sake of sinking in misery a certain character.

But I'm satisfied enough with this, waiting for what situation it will lead to.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Mawaru Kanba Drum 22:

Man, kanba is like a textbook definition of psychopath. He is completely lacking of any sense of empathy. Think about it: He has no qualms about leading other girls on, using them and dumping them on a whim's notice. He doesn't care about breaking into people's homes, or spying on them. He doesn't have any qualms about killing others, nor does he consider the pain he is inflicting on their loved ones. He doesn't care about the feelings of Shouma, Himari, and Masako. The only redeeming quality is that he is willing to do whatever it takes to bring about good results for those he cares about, but he doesn't give a shit about their feelings (with regards to him)... or really the feelings of anyone else about anything. How many friends, brother, sisters, husbands, wives, daughters, sons, fathers, mothers has he taken away, how many bonds has he severed, how many families has he broken up, without a second thought, just in episode 22?

What an asshole.

scy

Boobs and wheelchairs.

GLORIOUS, basically.

T.T cockteases

GaimeGuy

I don't know what to make of the cliffhanger at the end of episode 22, but it looks like
it's time to find out who shouma really is, and how he is tied to the takakuras, Sanetoshi, the penguin force, and yes, possibly momoka and her diary. Looks like there's more to it than him simply being the takakura child. Why do Ifeel like this is going to end up with some kind of a madoka style ending where a single person/soul is hopping between times/generations stopping Sanetoshi until another party (possibly Ringo) breaks the chain forr good? :X

Penguin Drum 22
Meh.
The scenes with Kanba destroying stuff and Masako trying to stop him felt so dumb. I was more or less expecting Masako to actually try to stop Kanba and not "Call me your precious little sister". The rest of the episode was just fine but those sequence of events felt too weird even in a show like this. Ugh.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously though, Oreimo boxset is SOLD OUT? that's crazy.

There must have only been a couple thousand printed. I am hoping Aniplex does a Blu-Ray set, but that seems unlikely. Guess I will preorder the Madoka boxsets. I don't want to get Aniplex'd again.

Clott

Eugh, is anyone else having a hard time finding a show to watch this fall? none of this penguin stuff jives with me.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
In the end the Fall season gets my thumbs up.

Fate/Zero is so good. Chihayafuru as well.

Some big disappointments like Guilty Crown and Un-Go (rip noitamina) but some really enjoyable, great shows I wasn't expecting out of Last Exile Fam and Working'!!

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
The wheelchair fetish is pretty sick. That is not what I call moe.
It's wheelchair moe, not wheelchair fetish. The only thing about Ayase that's supposed to be sexy are her glorious tits and spunky demeanor. Her status as paraplegic is only supposed to feel all warm in your gut and want to protect her like the pathetic white knight you are.

Once upon a time, I looked forward to the keion movie.

No longer.

GUZaB.jpg
How sad is it that the design team is so starved for male character designs, that the moment they get the opportunity to create a British bishie that they go all out, even though he's a tertiary character at best.

Eugh, is anyone else having a hard time finding a show to watch this fall? none of this penguin stuff jives with me.

Ben-to, Bakuman season 2, C3, Fate/Zero, Guilty Crown, Hunter x Hunter, Kimi to Boku, Horizon on the Middle of Nowhere, Mirai Nikki, Gundam Age, Persona 4, Phi Brain, and Sekaiichi Hatsukoi 2 (One Piece, Bleach, Naruto Shippuden, Toriko)...I dont think Im having a hard time finding a show to watch this fall.

I think the statement is more fitting in discussion of the winter season, it seems barren for me.

Considering the size of the thread and amount of discussion we get for stuff from this season, I'd say people are watching quite a bit.

Try Mirai Nikki.

LordCanti

Mawaru Kanba Drum 22:

Man, kanba is like a textbook definition of psychopath. He is completely lacking of any sense of empathy. Think about it: He has no qualms about leading other girls on, using them and dumping them on a whim's notice. He doesn't care about breaking into people's homes, or spying on them. He doesn't have any qualms about killing others, nor does he consider the pain he is inflicting on their loved ones. He doesn't care about the feelings of Shouma, Himari, and Masako. The only redeeming quality is that he is willing to do whatever it takes to bring about good results for those he cares about, but he doesn't give a shit about their feelings (with regards to him)... or really the feelings of anyone else about anything. How many friends, brother, sisters, husbands, wives, daughters, sons, fathers, mothers has he taken away, how many bonds has he severed, how many families has he broken up, without a second thought, just in episode 22?

What an asshole.

That's not the impression I got. He
slumps over in his chair when no one is looking, clearly exhausted and not okay with what he's doing.
From his perspective, and from the perspective of what is actually happening in that universe, there is a
war going on
. Yeah there's going to be
casualties
in a
dimension/fate/etc spanning war between two opposing groups

I'm fully ready for Ikuhara to pull some crazy shit, and have
Momoka
be the villain. They constantly refer to the entity punishing them as a
goddess
so why not? Maybe the Takakura's have
no protectors
but themselves.

Dresden

How sad is it that the design team is so starved for male character designs, that the moment they get the opportunity to create a British bishie that they go all out, even though he's a tertiary character at best.
Not sure how they went 'all out,' looking at it.

NewFresh

Ben-to, Bakuman season 2, C3, Fate/Zero, Guilty Crown, Hunter x Hunter, Kimi to Boku, Horizon on the Middle of Nowhere, Mirai Nikki, Gundam Age, Persona 4, Phi Brain, and Sekaiichi Hatsukoi 2 (One Piece, Bleach, Naruto Shippuden, Toriko)...I dont think Im having a hard time finding a show to watch this fall.

I think the statement is more fitting in discussion of the winter season, it seems barren for me.

Is there anything
bad
that you don't watch?

Dresden

idolmaster 23 -

I did skip about 13 episodes but it's okay because this was amazing.

Man, wow. I laughed so hard
when he fell in. Like, how does that even happen? He pulls on her! Standard anime physics would dictate that she'd land on his lap and they'd blush and fluster about for a bit before looking away, all shaken up. But instead he does a switcheroo and tumbles into the pit with a thud. Hahahahahahahahahahaha.

Funniest thing I've seen all week. And seeing Haruka's face
crumple into an expression of SORROW is so goddamn delicious I could stare at it all day. ALL DAY.
God, it still makes me smile.

Mawaru Penguindrum 22:
Great ending to the episode. There was a very different vibe to this episode than the recent ones, with some weird stuff going on, but it was also pretty important character wise. I feel like it was a step down from the past three or four episodes, but those episodes were of such a high quality that you can have a step down and still be great. I'm sad that we're so close to the end already.

GaimeGuy

That's not the impression I got. He
slumps over in his chair when no one is looking, clearly exhausted and not okay with what he's doing.
From his perspective, and from the perspective of what is actually happening in that universe, there is a
war going on
. Yeah there's going to be
casualties
in a
dimension/fate/etc spanning war between two opposing groups

I'm fully ready for Ikuhara to pull some crazy shit, and have
Momoka
be the villain. They constantly refer to the entity punishing them as a
goddess
so why not? Maybe the Takakura's have
no protectors
but themselves.

Except all kanba talks about is
Saving himari. He hasn't given any sign he's concerned about "putting the world back on track" or even that he's in on any of that aspect of sanetoshi's plan, whatever it is. So no, he's not in a dimension/fate spanning war where he has to make difficult choices. He's just doing whatever is asked of him as long as it saves Himari, consequences be damned, Himari's wishes be damned, Shouma be damned, Masako be damned. He doesn't give a damn.

Yami

So, best OP/ED this season?

I'm quite partial to Guilty Crown's OP. It's just... nice, haha. Ben-to's is pretty cheesy and sets the mood just right too. Anyone else?

So, best OP/ED this season?

I'm quite partial to Guilty Crown's OP. It's just... nice, haha. Ben-to's is pretty cheesy and sets the mood just right too. Anyone else?

1. Guilty Crown
2. Mirai Nikki
3. Phi Brain
4. Ika Musume 2
5. Ben-to
6. Horizon
7. All My Friends Are Dead
8. Fate/Zero
9. Persona 4
10. Hunter x Hunter R
11. C3 (OP 2 only)

Not a bad OP season.