• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Mar |OT| Now listening to the Stan Van Gundy mixtape

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rodeo Clown said:
You thought he was as scrub like a week ago.

He was playing pretty scrubby a week ago and had been for a few weeks but he's played well in Utah. You thought Magic Randolph was a scrub just three days ago and now you own his rookie card and jersey.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
He was playing pretty scrubby a week ago and had been for a few weeks but he's played well in Utah.
I always thought he was playing decently in New Jersey.

You thought Magic Randolph was a scrub just three days ago and now you own his rookie card and jersey.
PER of 19.1 in his Wolves career. Check the stats.

Really though, Randolph hasn't done anything to change my evaluation, which is that he doesn't have much in the way of skill.

Sanjuro

YuriLowell said:
I think Stern has some real shit he needs to sort out in the off season, but Stern doesn't care about how the game is played or the integrity of the game.
Like it or not though, Stern has been the best commissioner of the major four by far.

Jeff-DSA

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Like it or not though, Stern has been the best commissioner of the major four by far.

There's no excuse why the NBA shouldn't be as healthy as the NFL. More kids play basketball growing up, and more people stick with it beyond. Heck, guys in their 50s are still out there playing quite a bit. The NBA should be in far better shape than it is, but Stern does a lot of things that pushes fans away.

Sanjuro

Jeff-DSA said:
There's no excuse why the NBA shouldn't be as healthy as the NFL. More kids play basketball growing up, and more people stick with it beyond. Heck, guys in their 50s are still out there playing quite a bit. The NBA should be in far better shape than it is, but Stern does a lot of things that pushes fans away.
I wouldn't go that far, but I agree mostly. Goodell will be the top dog if he manages out of this pending lockout.

All of the big 4 sports execs suck equally, and they all clearly aren't about the integrity of their respective games if it affects the revenue.

Selig's game is awash in revenue, but he allowed steroid scandals and the big market/little market issues. Plus, he's Selig - inventor of the tied All-Star Game.

Bettman torpedoed his game in America.

Goodell is about to let the NFL get locked out. Also, his game features the most rapists, cheaters, murderers, drunks, wife-beaters and Brett Favre in America.

Stern's game has a litany of fixed outcomes, most blatantly revealed when his own referees were caught messing with games a few years ago.

Rodeo Clown

Bettman is by far the worst. The overexpansion into non-hockey markets, and leaving good markets behind in the mid-90s was horrible. Now the NHL is on 3rd-tier cable networks, and still nobody cares in places like the South.

Sanjuro

captmcblack said:
All of the big 4 sports execs suck equally, and they all clearly aren't about the integrity of their respective games if it affects the revenue.

Selig's game is awash in revenue, but he allowed steroid scandals and the big market/little market issues. Plus, he's Selig - inventor of the tied All-Star Game.

Bettman torpedoed his game in America.

Goodell is about to let the NFL get locked out. Also, his game features the most rapists, cheaters, murderers, drunks, wife-beaters and Brett Favre in America.

Stern's game has a litany of fixed outcomes, most blatantly revealed when his own referees were caught messing with games a few years ago.
Still, Goodell still does a semi-decent job of punishment. Every time someone "baws" about some suspension, I just shake my head. He runs the largest manbaby/meathead league by a large mile.

F@mous

Banned
Jeff-DSA said:

Lol how is Stern to blame for the popularity of basketball.

Rodeo Clown said:
Bettman is by far the worst. The overexpansion into non-hockey markets, and leaving good markets behind in the mid-90s was horrible. Now the NHL is on 3rd-tier cable networks, and still nobody cares in places like the South.

Hockey is akin to Curling in Virginia.

Rodeo Clown

YuriLowell said:
Hockey is akin to Curling in Virginia.
I was down in Charlotte a couple summers ago, maybe a year or two after the Hurricanes won the Cup and you wouldn't even know the Hurricanes existed. Granted, they play in Raleigh, but hockey is just not thing in the South. Kids can't play it. If the NHL got out, nobody would care.

Rodeo Clown said:
I was down in Charlotte a couple summers ago, maybe a year or two after the Hurricane won the Cup and you wouldn't even know the Hurricanes existed. Granted, they play in Raleigh, but hockey is just not thing in the South. Kids can't play it. If the NHL got out, nobody would care.

I remember they made us play field hockey in high school, and no one had any idea of the rules.

It was kinda sad.

Basketball as a sport will always be extremely popular.

Basketball as the product of the NBA will never be as good as it was say...in the years before the 2003 draft class because of all the rule changes to cheapen the game and lessen the strategy involved in its play...the same rule changes that get made/tweaked to facilitate the play of certain star players.

Jordan calls, Kobe calls, LBJ and Wade calls...things like that make the game suck.
Mystery calls and inconsistent refereeing...these make the game suck.
Bonehead players that lack fundamental things that the players even only one generation prior still had...these make the game suck.

There are other reasons why the NBA might not be as beloved as it used to be; some people suggested racial things, others say overexpansion/dilution of talent, and so on...and probably some of those things are true.

But hoops in and of itself will always be popular.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Apparently there is a theory by a doctor on how running on your toes versus running on your heels might improve your running efficiency and reduce injury:

nba_g_ljames_foot_576.jpg

nba_g_waded_run_576.jpg

This body position allows LeBron to use gratuitous forces like gravity, ground reaction force (GFR) and muscle-tendon elasticity to his advantage to engage his body weight into the action of moving. Consequently it allows him to reduce muscular tension and impact on all support tissues.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/25570/how-lebron-james-and-dwyane-wade-run

Interesting, to say the least.

Has anyone read the book discussed in that first paragraph, "Born to Run"?

reilo

YuriLowell said:
Who runs on their heels? That has to be a bad picture of D-Wade.
Hes not that stupid.
Apparently most people do. Not by design, but by just happenstance.

Simple Google Search of "Dwyane Wade running":

dwayne_running.jpg

Dwyane-Wade-Running-the-Point-342x228.jpg

dwyane-wade.jpg

Dwyane-Wade-drives-Mavericks1.jpg

AJXIIDWadePE5.jpg

He lands on his heel in almost every single one.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
I feel like at this point if i said the Celtics just signed Smush Parker, half of you would believe me.

SamuraiX- said:
Well, damn.

12 straight 50 win seasons ties for the record sure, but we are actually at 14 straight .600+ seasons (50 win pace) if you want to be fair. 98 was a 56 win season, and 99 was a 37-13 (61 win pace, .74 win %) championship year. People don't include those 2 seasons because 99 was a lockout season.

Its the most impressive run of winning the league has ever seen. No team has been on top for this long. And they don't look like they are stopping anytime soon...

Darkman M

The Crimson Blur said:
12 straight 50 win seasons ties for the record sure, but we are actually at 14 straight .600+ seasons (50 win pace) if you want to be fair. 98 was a 56 win season, and 99 was a 37-13 (61 win pace, .74 win %) championship year. People don't include those 2 seasons because 99 was a lockout season.

Its the most impressive run of winning the league has ever seen. No team has been on top for this long. And they don't look like they are stopping anytime soon...

Celtics 17 titles
Lakers 16 titles

those are more impressive imo.

reilo

Did I just hear correctly on the radio that BYU suspended a player for having sex with his girlfriend?

Jeff-DSA

The Crimson Blur said:

Now we all feel dumb that we didn't tank for Duncan.

Darkman M

reilo said:
Did I just hear correctly on the radio that BYU suspended a player for having sex with his girlfriend?

I heard somewhere that they are required to go to church every week, so this would not surprise me.

Jeff-DSA

reilo said:

Yeah, he got his girlfriend pregnant. It's a private school and there's an honor code that all students must abide by. Unfortunately for the players, they're actually dismissed from the team even in instances when they're not dismissed from the school. Any crimes, pre or extra marital sex, drug/alcohol abuse, or cheating is automatic dismissal from the team, and depending on the severity, also from school.

Darkman M said:
Celtics 17 titles
Lakers 16 titles

those are more impressive imo.

Um.

They didn't win those consecutively. We're talking about a consecutive winning season streak.

But no, the Lakers don't have 16 titles. They have 11.

Jeff-DSA said:
Yeah, he got his girlfriend pregnant. It's a private school and there's an honor code that all students must abide by. Unfortunately for the players, they're actually dismissed from the team even in instances when they're not dismissed from the school. Any crimes, pre or extra marital sex, drug/alcohol abuse, or cheating is automatic dismissal from the team, and depending on the severity, also from school.

Its particularly dumb because the kid probably chose the school because of basketball, not because of its morality or its academics. Mixing school and basketball has so many stupid consequences.

Duki

Banned
celtics won 11 championships in 13 seasons

dont be silly bro

Its particularly dumb because the kid probably chose the school because of basketball, not because of its morality or its academics. Mixing school and basketball has so many stupid consequences.

nope, by all accounts he willingly went to the school and wanted to abide by the code or w/e

reilo

Jeff-DSA said:
So he's completely kicked off the team for good?

Talon

reilo said:
On the plus side, the fact that he got laid has been national front page news for the past day.

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Stern has a one note blueprint for success. Find a superstar and market the hell out of him. He lucked into Jordan and Yao Ming. Stern has been trying to find the next Jordan since Anfernee Hardaway lost his knees. It's just that the other superstars aren't likeable or appealing.

Jeff-DSA

The Crimson Blur said:

No, he chose BYU because he's a lifelong BYU fan and he's LDS. Obviously he got caught in a moment of weakness and screwed up. I'm sure he doesn't feel good about it, as it goes contrary to his personal ethics/beliefs.

This stuff happens regularly at BYU. The players know the honor code before they come to the school, and the vast majority of them have no issues living it. A few get into trouble, but many sit out a year and come back. Lots of our non-Mormon players say that they like the honor code, and boy do their parents sure like it.

As a fan of the school, it's tough seeing one of your guys dismissed for honor code issues, but BYU wouldn't be BYU without it. If you believe in what the school is trying to do as far as putting development of character ahead of athletic development, it's not so ridiculous.

Remember, BYU lost their best football player right before this last season to an honor code violation, so he ended up with the Bears in the NFL instead.

marathonfool said:
Stern has a one note blueprint for success. Find a superstar and market the hell out of him. He lucked into Jordan and Yao Ming. Stern has been trying to find the next Jordan since Anfernee Hardaway lost his knees. It's just that the other superstars aren't likeable or appealing.

Kobe was working before he went raping.

Darkman M

In other news, guess who.

"20+ games left in phase 2. I'm ReFOCUSED! No prisoners, I have no friends when at WAR besides my Soldiers."

SamuraiX-

Darkman M said:
In other news, guess who.

"20+ games left in phase 2. I'm ReFOCUSED! No prisoners, I have no friends when at WAR besides my Soldiers."

Needs more "and I run the triangle better than Kobe!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom