• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Mar |OT| Now listening to the Stan Van Gundy mixtape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

If Corey Brewer wants to be the next Bruce Bowen, he'll have to get to work.

Step 1: karate kick Manu Ginobili in the face.

Karakand

Jeff-DSA said:
There was more to it than what MTV and Julie said. Wasn't the reason given why Julie was kicked out of school was because she had male roommates?
Yes she was in violation of the rule that says you're not allowed to live with unrelated members of the opposite sex, even when you aren't in school.

I never really believed the bit where her family and her said BYU made it sound like she was riding the train in the house as well in the notice.

giri said:
He'll look you in the eye, shake your hand, and call you sir.

This is how you draft jonny flynn people.

Not considering character when drafting is stupid. Patrick O'Bryant would have gone #1 and would have been a star if he wasn't a fucking idiot. Instead, he went #9 and was out of the league in two years. The Grizzlies didn't consider Thabeet's character and it's one of the (Several) reasons why he's out of the NBA essentially within 1.5 years. Character isn't the most important thing for a prospect of course, but you need to consider it and Reddick had a DUI and some other problems as well in college.

Name the last high Ohio State prospect that did shit in the league?

Conley I guess...but for the most part they do not translate well at all.

Fuck Thad Matta. He's like a reverse Ben Howland.

anyone read John Trollinger's new article about Miami and Orlando being legit title contenders?

They've won in the playoffs before. James, Wade and Howard account for three of the past five Eastern Conference championships. We're really saying they can't be factors? While Boston has the trump card of knocking off all three in succession in last season's playoffs, the Celtics couldn't get past Orlando the year before and barely beat a much weaker LeBron-led Cleveland team in the second round in their 2008 title run.

I love how he forgets that KG didn't play in that Orlando series or that Boston also went 7 vs the Hawks their title season.

He then cites scoring margin while conveniently ignoring that Cleveland and Orlando led in that department the past 2 seasons and failed against Boston last year and that LAL-Boston weren't top 3 in scoring margin.

Typical Trollinger.

I just saw the thing about running on heels/toes

That's interesting...maybe that's why Wade gets so many minor (and we all know about the major) knee injuries

DCX

DCX
Knux-Future said:
Name the last high Ohio State prospect that did shit in the league?

Conley I guess...but for the most part they do not translate well at all.

Fuck Thad Matta. He's like a reverse Ben Howland.
Jimmy mutherfucking Jackson son!!

user_jackson_osumen.jpg

DCX

dschalter

Black Mamba said:
anyone read John Trollinger's new article about Miami and Orlando being legit title contenders?

I love how he forgets that KG didn't play in that Orlando series or that Boston also went 7 vs the Hawks their title season.

He then cites scoring margin while conveniently ignoring that Cleveland and Orlando led in that department the past 2 seasons and failed against Boston last year and that LAL-Boston weren't top 3 in scoring margin.

Typical Trollinger.

i think you are conveniently ignoring that the hawks won a bunch of close games at home and got blown out in boston. they lost by 23, 19, 25 and 24 at boston. the cavs lost by 4, 16, 7, 5.

Interested to see where Perry Jones falls. He has the same character flaws that LeBron and Bosh and arguably Deron have and four of the eight picks in the draft are from teams that just got out of those eras (Cavs, Raptors, Jazz). The Timberwolves are obsessed with him, but he doesn't smile and seems to have a poor handshake and is honestly a clone of Magic Randolph who they just acquired. I could see him falling to the bottom part of the top 10 despite his massive talent. Or he could go #1. Wide range.

benita

Banned
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Not considering character when drafting is stupid. Patrick O'Bryant would have gone #1 and would have been a star if he wasn't a fucking idiot. Instead, he went #9 and was out of the league in two years. The Grizzlies didn't consider Thabeet's character and it's one of the (Several) reasons why he's out of the NBA essentially within 1.5 years. Character isn't the most important thing for a prospect of course, but you need to consider it and Reddick had a DUI and some other problems as well in college.

Half the reason the Bucks took Bogut over Marvin (lol) was that he turned up to their pre-draft meetings in a suit and tie and actually, you know, treated it like a job interview.

dschalter said:
i think you are conveniently ignoring that the hawks won a bunch of close games at home and got blown out in boston. they lost by 23, 19, 25 and 24 at boston. the cavs lost by 4, 16, 7, 5.

It still went 7. And Cleveland lost in 6 last year, being run out the final 3 games.

dschalter

Black Mamba said:
It still went 7. And Cleveland lost in 6 last year, being run out the final 3 games.

IT STILL WENT 7.

whatever that means, given that the hawks never were close to threatening the celtics, while the cavs actually were. second point is reasonable.

benita said:
Half the reason the Bucks took Bogut over Marvin (lol) was that he turned up to their pre-draft meetings in a suit and tie and actually, you know, treated it like a job interview.

Which is funny because ESPN hyped the shit out of Marvin Williams' intangibles. Guess they needed something to hype since Marvin lacked athletic ability, basketball skills, and a position. It's sort of amazing that he turned out as well as he did and is only considered a major bust instead of the worst pick ever.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Going back to that one argument as to why sometimes you should just let a basket go...

Undercut On Breakaway Dunk Leaves High Schooler Temporarily Paralyzed
Alex Etherington, a 6'5" small forward at Hamilton Heights High School in Indiana, had an open look at the basket just minutes into a game against Peru High on Saturday. The score was just 2-0, but a Peru player still attempted to stop Etherington's dunk attempt with a vicious undercut push from behind.
http://deadspin.com/#!5775848/undercut-on-breakaway-dunk-leaves-high-schooler-temporarily-paralyzed

Video at the link. Reminded me of how Bogut got injured last season. It also reminds me of Jeff making fun of Isiah Thomas the other day after he posted a video of Malone elbowing him in the face and leaving him with 15 stitches to the face and 25 internal stitches.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Interested to see where Perry Jones falls. He has the same character flaws that LeBron and Bosh and arguably Deron have and four of the eight picks in the draft are from teams that just got out of those eras (Cavs, Raptors, Jazz). The Timberwolves are obsessed with him, but he doesn't smile and seems to have a poor handshake and is honestly a clone of Magic Randolph who they just acquired. I could see him falling to the bottom part of the top 10 despite his massive talent. Or he could go #1. Wide range.
Unless they win the lottery, I hope the Wolves trade the pick. I'm sure Terrence Jones is a great guy, but I'd rather have a vet or a 2012 first.

Talking about drafts, lets take a moment to appreciate how stacked the 08 draft class was:

1. Derrick Rose
2. Michael Beasley
3. OJ Mayo
4. Russell Westbrook
5. Kevin Love
6. Danilo Gallinari
7. Eric Gordon
9. DJ Augustin
10. Brook Lopez
12. Jason Thompson
15. Robin Lopez
17. Roy Hibbert
18. JaVale McGee
19. JJ Hickson
21. Ryan Anderson
22. Courtney Lee
24. Serge Ibaka
25. Nicolas Batum
26. George Hill
35. DeAndre Jordan
36. Omer Asik
45. Goran Dragic

Absolutely ridiculous. One of the best drafts in recent memory.

Alright, now lets have some fun. Redraft them using what you know now!

reilo said:
Going back to that one argument as to why sometimes you should just let a basket go...

http://deadspin.com/#!5775848/undercut-on-breakaway-dunk-leaves-high-schooler-temporarily-paralyzed

Video at the link. Reminded me of how Bogut got injured last season. It also reminds me of Jeff making fun of Isiah Thomas the other day after he posted a video of Malone elbowing him in the face and leaving him with 5 stitches.

If I were his team mates id beat the shit out of that punk.

SamuraiX-

reilo said:

Video at the link. Reminded me of how Bogut got injured last season. It also reminds me of Jeff making fun of Isiah Thomas the other day after he posted a video of Malone elbowing him in the face and leaving him with 5 stitches.

Jesus Christ, man.

I wouldn't let that motherfucker walk out of there alive if he did that to my teammate.

What an absolute dick move.

Is it okay to wish pain and injury upon the Peru High player yet?

giri

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Maybe, but it's the last thing on the list. It's what you can use to distinguish between 2 picks that are equal on everything else. I'm a huge fan of culture, and club culture is massive in how well a franchise plays on the court, and sometimes you can take that gamble, if the rest of the club is in inline, and let the senior players bring them inline. It's the best thing that chancey ever did for melo.

Sanjuro

I dunno, in the video it doesn't look like the shove the opposing player gave didn't look that severe.

The two parts of the problem.

1. Players are taught to do that at the early stages.

2. High School players shouldn't be dunking.

giri said:
Maybe, but it's the last thing on the list. It's what you can use to distinguish between 2 picks that are equal on everything else. I'm a huge fan of culture, and club culture is massive in how well a franchise plays on the court, and sometimes you can take that gamble, if the rest of the club is in inline, and let the senior players bring them inline. It's the best thing that chancey ever did for melo.

The Jazz had a quality team culture and thought they could ignore character because of that for a series of years. One of their former picks is in prison, another has an Abraham Lincoln tattoo on his neck, one is one of the most hated player in D-League history. Character is right behind athletic ability and skills that are hard to teach once players reach the NBA (Dribbling, help defense) and maybe court awareness for most important thing for a prospect.

SamuraiX-

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
I dunno, in the video it doesn't look like the shove the opposing player gave didn't look that severe.

Bull fucking shit.

That was hardly a casual push. Don't watch the slow-mo. The guy trailing him didn't even slow down and didn't give the guy a second glace when he hit the ground.

It's pretty obvious that is intention was to fuck him up.

They're taught to undercut opposing players when they go up for a dunk?

Sanjuro

SamuraiX- said:
Bull fucking shit.

That was hardly a casual push. Don't watch the slow-mo. The guy trailing him didn't even slow down and didn't give the guy a second glace when he hit the ground.

It's pretty obvious that is intention was to fuck him up.

They're taught to undercut opposing players when they go up for a dunk?
You could be right. The only video there is in slow-mo and from that angle I can't make a solid judgement. I'm not defending the action though.

Both of the points I made apply though. They are taught to take the foul in most cases on the breakaway. The motion/explanation on the proper way of doing it isn't.

Sumidor

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:

The two parts of the problem.

2. High School players shouldn't be dunking.
What? I need some explanation on this.

Either way, I'm with Samurai on this.

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
You could be right. The only video there is in slow-mo and from that angle I can't make a solid judgement. I'm not defending the action though.

Both of the points I made apply though. They are taught to take the foul in most cases on the breakaway. The motion/explanation on the proper way of doing it isn't.

Never EVER should someone take someone's legs out from under them. That's some Basketball 101 stuff.

SamuraiX-

Austin Rivers Wants To 'Destroy' LeBron One Day

RealGM said:
In an interview with the Sporting News’ Brian McLaughlin, Duke recruit Austin Rivers was asked what it’s like to rub elbows with the best players in the world. Rivers’ response:

“Well, I’ve met Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, Ray Allen—you name it. A lot of people ask me who I’ve met through my dad, and they’re in awe when they hear the names of the players, but I’ve never looked at it like that. It’s cool meeting all of them, but I really want to be in their situation one day. I don’t want to just meet LeBron, I want to destroy him on the court one day.”

Rivers was gave his impression of Jordan.

“Michael Jordan has a strong personality, “ Rivers said. “He still thinks he’s the best player that ever played. He wouldn’t ever tell you that, but you can just tell that’s what he thinks, even now. That’s how I want to be, I want to have that kind of confidence. Jordan might go 1-for-20 one night and then go out the next night and score 50 points. Basketball has a lot of ups and downs, so you have to be confident to be successful.”

lmfao

Jeff-DSA

Sumidor said:

I actually agree that they should take dunks out of high school. Lots of injuries occur when a player is going for a dunk. I know it's a big part of the game, but it should be illegal in high school.

Sanjuro

Sumidor said:

At that point the players are in the stages of learning the game. That's why before the game they line up and cycle layups. It should be about getting the fundamentals down at this stage.

MorisUkunRasik said:
Never EVER should someone take someone's legs out from under them. That's some Basketball 101 stuff.
I'm not saying people should. The players aren't properly taught what to do at that point. I'm sure some coaches who are smart enough or have seen things stress this, but this is a very low percentage of them.

reilo

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
At that point the players are in the stages of learning the game. That's why before the game they line up and cycle layups. It should be about getting the fundamentals down at this stage.
Ugh, if you've ever been to an NBA game early enough, they still line up and do layup drills.

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
At that point the players are in the stages of learning the game. That's why before the game they line up and cycle layups. It should be about getting the fundamentals down at this stage..

NBA teams do this too.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Im glass joe'ing that dude if he ever did that to any team mate of mine.. hell I might have stole him if I was on his team

Jeff-DSA

I had a friend that broke both wrists after getting nudged on a dunk. With how your body is already moving forward, it doesn't take much contact to make you slip off the rim or get your feet too far out in front of you.

Sanjuro

reilo said:
Ugh, if you've ever been to an NBA game early enough, they still line up and do layup drills.
Ugh? Yes. I've been to an NBA game before. What is your point? In the NBA they are professionals at this point and should be able to determine what they can/can't/should/shouldn't do.

reilo

Jeff-DSA said:
I had a friend that broke both wrists after getting nudged on a dunk. With how your body is already moving forward, it doesn't take much contact to make you slip off the rim or get your feet too far out in front of you.
That's all it took for Bogut's injury when Amare nudged him. Not saying it was malicious, but Amare should have known better than put his hand on Bogut's lower back as he's mid-air.

giri

reilo said:
That's all it took for Bogut's injury when Amare nudged him. Not saying it was malicious, but Amare should have known better than put his hand on Bogut's lower back as he's mid-air.
There was really next to no pressure from Amare, boguts a big guy, he has a lot of momentum anyway. Still, amare should know better, but no one is calling him a genius.

Jeff-DSA said:

I've seen someone go for a layup and get nudged and it caused him to crash into the metal pole (yay streetball). Separated his shoulder right there. Gruesome.

Yeah, it takes very little in that spot.

Owzers

I can't stress how much i hate push fouls. They should be automatic ejections in the NBA. Push fouls are cheap, dangerous, and show that you have no place on the court.

Jeff-DSA

Black Mamba said:
I've seen someone go for a layup and get nudged and it caused him to crash into the metal pole (yay streetball). Separated his shoulder right there. Gruesome.

Yeah, it takes very little in that spot.

I got pushed on a layup in a gym, hip hit the wall, and cracked my hip. Not a good couple of months after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom