• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Mar |OT| Now listening to the Stan Van Gundy mixtape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bread

Banned
SephCast said:
Can any knowledgeable C's fans tell me what the fuck is going on with Shaq? His injury still isn't healed?
There's no real reason to rush him back, his injuries seem to be from overuse, and we want him fresh for the playoffs. As much as I'd like homecourt throughout the playoffs, I'd take a 100% Shaq over it any day.

ph33nix said:
It just makes no sense to call anything a bust or a success at this point when we're not done. Most of the teams that went through an overhaul had high expectations but everybody knows that this year isn't the only year you can add meaningful pieces. Unless the CBA fucks teams over, that is.

How many quality MLE signings have their been ever? There's usually less than one good one per offseason. Players who get the MLE suck almost all of the time. Getting rid of the MLE would be good for the league.

I must add that every day, I thank my lucky stars for Danny Ainge.

Ehh, Perkins still isn't healthy.

KingGondo

Banned
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Ehh, Perkins still isn't healthy.
I think he's healthy, it's more a matter of conditioning and familiarity with the other players at this point. He has actually looked really good running up and down the court, I think he even brought the ball up on one play against the Wizards, it was actually kind of shocking.

I've been very pleasantly surprised by his passing ability, too.

And I'm still having to get used to having defensive rebounding. You mean to tell me that we can limit the other team to one shot now?

I would literally sell my soul for the following three things:

1. A 7-foot center. The Knicks haven't had one since they traded Marcus Camby, and they haven't had even a passable one since they let go of Nazr Mohammed/Mutombo retired. My God, my kingdom for a center. Please. We'll take anyone. I am so desperate.

2. Any point guard who is fast enough/skilled enough to keep his head up and look up the floor. So many times up the floor, Amare is rolling and could receive a pass for a free shot - but Billups, Douglas and Carter will just stop and hold the ball, or pull back, or turn it over, or take a stupid shot. It is sad that Felton would be a monster for 20 minutes a game simply backing Billups up and assisting Amare and Melo on pnr.

3. Anything or anyone that can force the coaching of defense. Shit, I'll even take Jeff Van Gundy back. Please.

Please. :*(

Bread

Banned
KingGondo said:
And I'm still having to get used to having defensive rebounding. You mean to tell me that we can limit the other team to one shot now?
After watching Krstic for about a month now, it looks to me like he's a much better rebounder than Perkins. Did he not do that well in OKC or did he not get enough PT to make an impact?

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Bread said:
There's no real reason to rush him back, his injuries seem to be from overuse, and we want him fresh for the playoffs. As much as I'd like homecourt throughout the playoffs, I'd take a 100% Shaq over it any day.

Re-integration into the system? Familiarity with the players? Don't know if 10ish games is enough for that.

Bread

Banned
SephCast said:
Re-integration into the system? Familiarity with the players? Don't know if 10ish games is enough for that.
Meh, that's what practice is for. He knows the system, he's not going to come back and be lost.

captmcblack said:

1. A 7-foot center. The Knicks haven't had one since they traded Marcus Camby, and they haven't had even a passable one since they let go of Nazr Mohammed/Mutombo retired. My God, my kingdom for a center. Please. We'll take anyone. I am so desperate.
Well, they have a 7-footer in Serbia and they can get a rookie 7-footer in the draft (Mocks have them at #16, dunno if they have a 2nd rounder). Then they have this sexy beast they can sign in the offseason.
2. Any point guard who is fast enough/skilled enough to keep his head up and look up the floor. So many times up the floor, Amare is rolling and could receive a pass for a free shot - but Billups, Douglas and Carter will just stop and hold the ball, or pull back, or turn it over, or take a stupid shot. It is sad that Felton would be a monster for 20 minutes a game simply backing Billups up and assisting Amare and Melo on PnR.
Remember Derek Harper when he was first signed? Looked like crap initially then adjusted fast? They're the same type of cerebral player who needs to know player's tendencies on O and D and he works off that. I like how the offense ran smoother yesterday (very efficient game by Carmelo), but yeah there were alot of missed opportunities.
3. Anything or anyone that can force the coaching of defense. Shit, I'll even take Jeff Van Gundy back. Please.

Please. :*(
It must be killing you to say that. Accept the Almighty Jeff Van Gundy as your savior and all will be right.

Bread said:
Knicks should go after Dalembert this offseason, he would be a perfect addition to that team.
Didn't he get like $8 mill this year? That's way too much, he might ask for around 7-8 mil again again he ain't worth it.

The Knicks could've literally signed The Baron of NY to a 2 year/$1.8 million dollar deal and this center talk would be over. Amazing.

I know we've got Jerome Jordan in the wings...but that's next year. I wouldn't be surprised if the Knicks found a way to get Mozgov back too since Denver isn't playing him.

I guess I just have to accept that we're just broken this year irreparably. :(

As for Billups...I absolutely remember how long it took Derek Harper to become an extension of Pat Riley, but this is a different day and age, and a different coach. I know it takes time to get all the nuances down, and I accept that - but every one of these games I can count so many missed opportunities to move that ball upcourt for free and easy rolls to the basket, and they're missed. Billups is way too savvy to not see every single one of those obvious opportunities. It doesn't take that much time to learn how to do a pick and roll. It took Felton about 10 games.

Also, no Dalembert unless it is as a cheap backup to the real starting center. We cannot have undersized players anymore. We just cannot. The next starting center for the Knicks ABSOLUTELY must be tall enough and strong enough to competently defend and rebound against other centers and/or forwards.

Wait, we won last night?

Whooooooooooooooooooo...

In yo face, Dark Sharp!

Gordon CLUTCH 3!

Griffin Trip DUB!

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

... :x

SamuraiX-

captmcblack said:
Also, no Dalembert unless it is as a cheap backup to the real starting center. We cannot have undersized players anymore. We just cannot. The next starting center for the Knicks ABSOLUTELY must be tall enough and strong enough to competently defend and rebound against other centers and/or forwards.

Sorry, bro, but sometimes you just can't have your cake and eat it too.

THE WORST BIG-MINUTE/STARTING DEFENSIVE PFs AND Cs IN THE NBA IN VARIOUS DEFENSIVE SITUATIONS ACCORDING TO SYNERGY SPORTS FROM WORST TO LESS WORSE:

Chris Wilcox 437
Iso: 241
Pos-up: 204
Spot-Up: 354

Greg Monroe: 409
Iso: 230
Post-Up: 202
Spot Up: 350

Ed Davis: 394
Iso: 217
Post-Up: 226
Spot-Up: 145

David Lee: 388
Iso - 63
Post-Up: 226
Spot Up - 250

JJ Hickson: 365 TIE
Iso: 250
Post Up - 143
Spot Up: 323

Charlie Villanueva: 365 TIE
Iso: 159
Post-Up: 153
Spot-Up: 314

Amare Stoudamire: 352
Iso: 210
Post-up: 153
Spot-Up: 303

Andris Biedrins:336 - TIE
Iso: 260
Post-Up: 30
Spot-Up: 354

Amir Johnson: 336 - TIE
Iso: 188
Post-Up: 127
Spot-up: 279

Tyler Hansbrough: 319 TIE
Iso: 87
Post-up: 180
Spot-up: 192

Patrick Patterson: 319 TIE
Iso: 170
Post-Up: 247
Spot-up: 145

Kwame Brown: 298 - TIE
Iso: 289
Post-up: 180
P&R man: NA
Spot up: 16

N. Pekovic: 298 - TIE
Iso: 254
Post-Up: 12
Spot Up: 323

Roy Hibbert:276 3-WAY TIE
Iso: 272
Post-Up: 143
Spot Up: 117

Channing Frye: 276 - 3-wAY TIE
Iso: 140
Post-Up: 180
Spot-uP: 145

Andrea Bargnani: 276 3-WAY TIE
Iso - 49
Post-Up - 133
Spot-Up - 308

Paul Milsap: 254 - 3-WAY TIE
Iso: 101
Post-Up: 133
Spot-up: 234

Carlos Boozer: 254 - 3-WAY TIE
Iso: 254
Post-up: 93
Spot-Up: 56

Serge Ibaka: 254 - 3-WAY TIE
Iso: 241
Post-uP: 133
Spot-up: 234

Blake Griffin: 231 - 3-WAY TIE
Iso: 37
Post-up: 187
Spot-Up: 217

Elton brand: 231 - 3-WAY TIE
Iso: 130:
Post-Up: 159
Spot-up: 130

Samuel Dalembert: 231 3-WAY
Iso: 272
Post-Up: 75
Spot Up: 167

Javale McGee: 209
Iso: 23
Post-Up: 202
Spot-up: 66

(shamelessly stolen from RealGM)

KingGondo

Banned
Bread said:
After watching Krstic for about a month now, it looks to me like he's a much better rebounder than Perkins. Did he not do that well in OKC or did he not get enough PT to make an impact?
Krstic was a decent player, and I'm sure Presti would have liked to have kept him if that had been possible.

Krstic gets better rebounding numbers, but he wasn't much of a presence in the paint which is what we needed. Getting Perk allows Serge to fly around and focus on rebounding and blocking shots. Nobody feared going into the paint when Krstic was manning the middle, which is obviously much different now. Perk provides leadership, experience, and that nasty edge that we needed. His impact is far greater than his (modest) career numbers.

I liked Krstic better than most Thunder fans, and I'm not all that surprised with how he's played in Boston. But I'd do the trade again in a split second.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
spike-lee-big-orange-hat1.jpg

captmcblack said:
I know we've got Jerome Jordan in the wings...but that's next year. I wouldn't be surprised if the Knicks found a way to get Mozgov back too since Denver isn't playing him.

I guess I just have to accept that we're just broken this year irreparably. :(
I have. The Knicks were a 1st-round out before the trade, and every said they were a 1st round out (why people pick them to take Miami to 7 I dunno) this year. Trade is about the future, grab some role players in the offseason. This year was about .500/playoffs, and that'll happen.
As for Billups...I absolutely remember how long it took Derek Harper to become an extension of Pat Riley, but this is a different day and age, and a different coach. I know it takes time to get all the nuances down, and I accept that - but every one of these games I can count so many missed opportunities to move that ball upcourt for free and easy rolls to the basket, and they're missed. Billups is way too savvy to not see every single one of those obvious opportunities. It doesn't take that much time to learn how to do a pick and roll. It took Felton about 10 games.
And the Knicks were 3-8 the first 10-11 games. :D

I dunno, after all that's happened I just feel the team needs an offseason to get on the same page. Right now there is NO DEPTH, not enough functional bigs, and no familiarity.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/dalemsa01.html

Dude is a legit 6'11 with a monster wingspan. I don't buy the scoring spree he's been on, but IMHO he won't be worth the price tag. Knicks don't need Gasol or a balanced center here, they just need to guy 7-ft to defend... they got Jeffries, the most uncoordinated NBA player ever playing center. This guy would've cost 870K.

Sammy also happens to be one of the biggest dumbasses in the league. Dude goaltending his own teammates gamewinning jumper. For all the good Sammy does he does just as much bad. Goaltends , fouls, takes Jordan turnarounds and doesn't fraid of anything

reilo

captmcblack said:

Except Marcus is a 6'11 Power Forward that weighs as much as Eric Gordon being asked to play a tweener center role.

Knux-Future said:
Sammy also happens to be one of the biggest dumbasses in the league. Dude goaltending his own teammates gamewinning jumper. For all the good Sammy does he does just as much bad. Goaltends , fouls, takes Jordan turnarounds and doesn't fraid of anything
Ouch. I remember I had a list of true centers around, I'll check it out.

Which would bring more LOLZ, a Dumbass Contest between Javale McGee and Andray Blatche, or a Jumpshooting Contest between Rajon Rondo and Jared Jeffries? Because I know if Jeffries and Rondo did that AS Saturday night TNT would've never been able to show the Dunk Contest/3 Point Shooting Contest.

hubes

cuevas said:
I hate Jemele Hill. Bye.
shes easily one of the worst people at ESPN. i don't know what made you say that, but was it her bringing up race into a topic that has absolutely nothing to do with the color of someones skin?

reilo

She also proclaimed that Kobe was better than Jordan a few years back. That got quite a few chuckles.

"Grizzlies guard O.J. Mayo recently delivered the message to his teammates. Now, he's making his play a public service message to opponents and fans. 'I'm back,' Mayo said after scoring 11 points off the bench Wednesday night during the Grizzlies' 90-87 win at Boston. 'My mind is clear.' Mayo, who had 11 points Monday in a win over Utah, reached double figures in scoring in consecutive games for the first time this month. Mayo said he no longer is thinking too much and is playing more in the flow of the game. 'I kind of lost my identity,' Mayo said. 'I think I got away from what got me here. I lost confidence for a while. But I'm back.' Griz coach Lionel Hollins is a believer. Hollins started Mayo in the second half and brought Sam Young off the bench."

Oh really now... since when were you ever here in the first place?

Over-hyped meh player total.

List looks extremely accurate for man defense. Love and Bargnani are worst at help D which this isn't tracking so that's why they're lower than expected. I think Monroe might be a better defender than that, but otherwise it looks good.

Bread

Banned
The Frankman said:
Which would bring more LOLZ, a Dumbass Contest between Javale McGee and Andray Blatche, or a Jumpshooting Contest between Rajon Rondo and Jared Jeffries? Because I know if Jeffries and Rondo did that AS Saturday night TNT would've never been able to show the Dunk Contest/3 Point Shooting Contest.
Rondo has a great jumpshot

when he's playing HORSE

SamuraiX-

Adam Blade said:
THE WORST BIG-MINUTE/STARTING DEFENSIVE PFs AND Cs IN THE NBA IN VARIOUS DEFENSIVE SITUATIONS ACCORDING TO SYNERGY SPORTS FROM WORST TO LESS WORSE:

Cousins not on the list? WOOHOOO!

He's probably so bad that there's no point in stating the obvious

hubes said:
shes easily one of the worst people at ESPN. i don't know what made you say that, but was it her bringing up race into a topic that has absolutely nothing to do with the color of someones skin?
SephCast said:
What'd she say?

Just wanted to express my hatred towards her and the pointless arguments she brings up. She ruins anything she is on (ATH) or makes it worse (First take) just by being there.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
cuevas said:
Just wanted to express my hatred towards her and the pointless arguments she brings up. She ruins anything she is on (ATH) or makes it worse (First take) just by being there.

I've learned to basically only watch PTI. ATH is doable, but they discuss the same stuff PTI does, so I don't need to watch it. I don't even watch Sportscenter anymore.

Jeff-DSA

SephCast said:
I've learned to basically only watch PTI. ATH is doable, but they discuss the same stuff PTI does, so I don't need to watch it. I don't even watch Sportscenter anymore.

And Around the Horn has Bill Plaschke, who is wrong about everything.

Hayward's shot creation stats are so terrible. He has a .3 PPP for isos and post-ups this season, that is so fucking bad. His transition stats are great like expected though.

reilo

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Al's stats are pretty legit, he doesn't get that much help and usually does a really good job against his man. His rotations can be really really bad though.
Don't fall into the trap.

reilo said:
Don't fall into the trap.

I'm not that big into most defensive stats, I thought it was kind of funny/weird that Al and Dwight had the same numbers. Al has been the best defender on the team for most of the season (Though he isn't now and the fact that he was is why the team is going to miss the playoffs). And his advanced defensive stats are more legit than Okur's are.

edit: Goddamn, Al is a beast on PnR, 1.2 PPP. Top 23 in NBA. Can't believe people bashed the trade for saying he couldn't run PnR and that that was all the Jazz ran (Jazz are last in NBA in PnRs run). People were probably right for bashing his defensive IQ though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom