• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Mar |OT| Now listening to the Stan Van Gundy mixtape

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
I'm not that big into most defensive stats, I thought it was kind of funny/weird that Al and Dwight had the same numbers. Al has been the best defender on the team for most of the season (Though he isn't now and the fact that he was is why the team is going to miss the playoffs). And his advanced defensive stats are more legit than Okur's are.

edit: Goddamn, Al is a beast on PnR, 1.2 PPP. Top 23 in NBA. Can't believe people bashed the trade for saying he couldn't run PnR and that that was all the Jazz ran (Jazz are last in NBA in PnRs run). People were probably right for bashing his defensive IQ though.
Noooo you fell into the trap!

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
linsivvi said:
We've learned a long time ago that even the worst poster* here can make better predictions that Hollinger's formula.

*Provided you ask them not to rank their own team.
Hrmm.

Let's put that to a test.

Rodeo, how does thekad do on Wednesday pick'ems?

Derrick Rose has joined the Lakers' Pau Gasol, the Trail Blazers' LaMarcus Aldridge and the Hawks' Al Horford in pledging to donate 1,000$ to Direct Relief International for every point they score in designated games this weekend. The organization created the Japan Relief and Recovery Fund in partnership with the Japanese American Citizens League to aid that country's relief efforts for those seeking medical care from the earthquake and tsunami.

"When disaster strikes we are all on the same team," Rose said in a statement. "Right now we're all pulling for the poeple of Japan. Through the good work of Direct TRelief International and other organizations in this country, we need to step up and help however we can."

-The Chicago Tribune

Good job, boys.

ph33nix said:
This is really stupid. You're reaching levels of homerism unthinkable. What's the best plan? Get fucking lucky and luck into Derrick Rose? Ok. Because before this summer, Chicago had a reputation for a great front office, right?

Besides that, I think I will take going from a lottery to a mediocre .500 team for a couple years to one of the league's elite any day of the week.

Lumping Sportscenter "superstars" together with no care of how they will work and play together without adding any complimentary good players along with them is not how you win in the league.

It'd be one thing if they could keep adding next year but it seems neither the Knicks nor Heat can really improve their rosters drastically so they are stuck with incomplete teams with no quality reserve depth.

Throwing talent on a roster means shit.

As Denver has shown, a bunch of decent to good players is better than a few so called superstars with nothing else.

linsivvi

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
As Denver has shown, a bunch of decent to good players is better than a few so called superstars with nothing else.

You still need 1 or 2 superstars who compliment each other to win in this league though.

2004 Pistons was a fluke, made possible by a man named Karl Malone.

SUPREME1

Banned
TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Derrick Rose has joined the Lakers' Pau Gasol, the Trail Blazers' LaMarcus Aldridge and the Hawks' Al Horford in pledging to donate 1,000$ to Direct Relief International for every point they score in designated games this weekend. The organization created the Japan Relief and Recovery Fund in partnership with the Japanese American Citizens League to aid that country's relief efforts for those seeking medical care from the earthquake and tsunami.

"When disaster strikes we are all on the same team," Rose said in a statement. "Right now we're all pulling for the poeple of Japan. Through the good work of Direct TRelief International and other organizations in this country, we need to step up and help however we can."

-The Chicago Tribune

Good job, boys.

That's great.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
If the Bulls had Joe Johnson and 3 Rasual Butler level players instead of Keith Bogans, Ronnie Brewer, Kyle Korver, and Kurt Thomas, would they have been this good?

SephCast said:
If the Bulls had Joe Johnson and 3 Rasual Butler level players instead of Keith Bogans, Ronnie Brewer, Kyle Korver, and Kurt Thomas, would they have been this good?

No.

The Bulls bench is doing work.

I think you need one "starter" off the bench.

For me that's Taj though arguably a few of the others could start somewhere in the league.

The players you mentioned of the Bulls all are "specialty" players and all different in what they do best so the variety is rather potent.

All I know about Rasual is he seems a decent shooter that moves ok but not that well.

SephCast said:
Sorry for my constant Bulls talk, I'm excited that we're good, but this is a great interview. Omer Asik's first interview on video, interviewed by Brian Scalabrine.

http://www.nba.com/bulls/video/one-one-omer-asik.html

Will check it out later, I haven't heard him speak much at all and always wonder how it is with him communicating with the guys on the floor.

He nods a lot and the team really respects him and makes him feel like he's an important part of it all and he's shown that he is.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Hayward's shot creation stats are so terrible. He has a .3 PPP for isos and post-ups this season, that is so fucking bad. His transition stats are great like expected though.

I wonder if he's better able to create off the dribble than Barnes...smh

Adam Blade said:
THE WORST BIG-MINUTE/STARTING DEFENSIVE PFs AND Cs IN THE NBA IN VARIOUS DEFENSIVE SITUATIONS ACCORDING TO SYNERGY SPORTS FROM WORST TO LESS WORSE:

Chris Wilcox 437
Iso: 241
Pos-up: 204
Spot-Up: 354

Greg Monroe: 409
Iso: 230
Post-Up: 202
Spot Up: 350

Ed Davis: 394
Iso: 217
Post-Up: 226
Spot-Up: 145

David Lee: 388
Iso - 63
Post-Up: 226
Spot Up - 250

JJ Hickson: 365 TIE
Iso: 250
Post Up - 143
Spot Up: 323

Charlie Villanueva: 365 TIE
Iso: 159
Post-Up: 153
Spot-Up: 314

Amare Stoudamire: 352
Iso: 210
Post-up: 153
Spot-Up: 303

Andris Biedrins:336 - TIE
Iso: 260
Post-Up: 30
Spot-Up: 354

Amir Johnson: 336 - TIE
Iso: 188
Post-Up: 127
Spot-up: 279

Tyler Hansbrough: 319 TIE
Iso: 87
Post-up: 180
Spot-up: 192

Patrick Patterson: 319 TIE
Iso: 170
Post-Up: 247
Spot-up: 145

Kwame Brown: 298 - TIE
Iso: 289
Post-up: 180
P&R man: NA
Spot up: 16

N. Pekovic: 298 - TIE
Iso: 254
Post-Up: 12
Spot Up: 323

Roy Hibbert:276 3-WAY TIE
Iso: 272
Post-Up: 143
Spot Up: 117

Channing Frye: 276 - 3-wAY TIE
Iso: 140
Post-Up: 180
Spot-uP: 145

Andrea Bargnani: 276 3-WAY TIE
Iso - 49
Post-Up - 133
Spot-Up - 308

Paul Milsap: 254 - 3-WAY TIE
Iso: 101
Post-Up: 133
Spot-up: 234

Carlos Boozer: 254 - 3-WAY TIE
Iso: 254
Post-up: 93
Spot-Up: 56

Serge Ibaka: 254 - 3-WAY TIE
Iso: 241
Post-uP: 133
Spot-up: 234

Blake Griffin: 231 - 3-WAY TIE
Iso: 37
Post-up: 187
Spot-Up: 217

Elton brand: 231 - 3-WAY TIE
Iso: 130:
Post-Up: 159
Spot-up: 130

Samuel Dalembert: 231 3-WAY
Iso: 272
Post-Up: 75
Spot Up: 167

Javale McGee: 209
Iso: 23
Post-Up: 202
Spot-up: 66

(shamelessly stolen from RealGM)
ctrl + f Kevin Love

alllllright. Love 4 MVP baby.

cuevas said:
Don't apologize, after years of Kirk and Gordon we have the right to be excited. Not that they were bad just so average.

Ill listen to this when I get home. Scal is always great.

Gordon was the most exciting player on that 09 Bulls team.

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Too one dimensional.

At times, I wish the Bulls had a player like that now and then I realize how limited he was.

You constantly defend Bogans and Brewer's terrible jumpshot and then say Gordon is too one dimensional?

I think it's easier to just call you stupid at this point.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Red Blaster said:
You constantly defend Bogans and Brewer's terrible jumpshot and then say Gordon is too one dimensional?

The release of Ben Gordon was a necessary evil. It helped Rose become the man he is today.

Ben Gordon's defense was not half as bad as everyone claimed.

Red Blaster said:

I think it's easier to watch the games and realize that Bogans is a good defender who can hit the open three and Brewer is great at making the other team turn the ball over, get out on the break and play the baseline as well as most I have seen.

The Bulls are built on defense in case you just woke up in NBA land.

A streaky shooter that does nothing else well isn't exactly a good fit on this team.

Maybe off the bench but I don't miss Gordon though he provided spurts of great offense.

Derwind

dream said:

meh...Blake Griffin dunks don't interest me anymore, I mean not unless they are some acrobatic circus dunks. We all know Griffin has a high vertical leap and we've all seen the same tomahawk dunk over & over & over again....at some point even very athletic feats get boring if its redone a hundred times....:shrug

I liked what he did earlier in the season though, with those creative 360 layups and stuff....

dream

Derwind said:
meh...Blake Griffin dunks don't interest me anymore, I mean not unless they are some acrobatic circus dunks. We all know Griffin has a high vertical leap and we've all seen the same tomahawk dunk over & over & over again....

I liked what he did earlier in the season though, with those creative 360 layups and stuff....

Those are all from a single game though. Granted, it was against the Wizards, but still. :/

Maybe this will meet your approval: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjSvzPfJgws

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
TheGreatMightyPoo said:
I think it's easier to watch the games and realize that Bogans is a good defender who can hit the open three and Brewer is great at making the other team turn the ball over, get out on the break and play the baseline as well as most I have seen.

The Bulls are built on defense in case you just woke up in NBA land.

A streaky shooter that does nothing else well isn't exactly a good fit on this team.

Maybe off the bench but I don't miss Gordon though he provided spurts of great offense.

Poo, I think you defend Bogans' three point shooting a little too much. Sure he hits a decent percent, 37%, but those are all wide open looks. Give Anthony Morrow those wide open looks, and he'd hit close to 50%.

Derwind said:
meh...Blake Griffin dunks don't interest me anymore, I mean not unless they are some acrobatic circus dunks. We all know Griffin has a high vertical leap and we've all seen the same tomahawk dunk over & over & over again....

Him handling the ball and his layups like you said were far more impressive than the majority of his dunks.

I'm not a huge fan of dunking but he's completely overrated in that regard.

Yes, he is good at finishing oops but it's all the same and guys like Aldridge can do it as well.

Derwind

giga said:

smfh.gif

SephCast said:
Poo, I think you defend Bogans' three point shooting a little too much. Sure he hits a decent percent, 37%, but those are all wide open looks. Give Anthony Morrow those wide open looks, and he'd hit close to 50%.

I guess.

I actually am surprised at Bogan's threepoint percentage because he's got a "textbook" shot and like you said, he gets great looks.

At times, he really starts knocking several of them down but he does miss too much.

In the playoffs, he has to knock most of those down.

Just think how many Korver would hit in the same situation, it pays to have a guy on the floor no one respects.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
TheGreatMightyPoo said:
I guess.

I actually am surprised at Bogan's threepoint percentage because he's got a "textbook" shot and like you said, he gets great looks.

At times, he really starts knocking several of them down but he does miss too much.

In the playoffs, he has to knock most of those down.

Just think how many Korver would hit in the same situation, it pays to have a guy on the floor no one respects.

He's gotten much better. I think he's been working a lot with Ron Adams to quicken up his release.

November 3P% of .286. March 3P% of .388. Last month he was at a whopping .457. Hope he keeps it up.

SephCast said:
He's gotten much better. I think he's been working a lot with Ron Adams to quicken up his release.

November 3P% of .286. March 3P% of .388. Last month he was at a whopping .457. Hope he keeps it up.

I know Thibs hates the three point barrage and I understand why but it is a decent weapon in the Bulls' arsenal.

That bigs list is more of a list of bigs most exploited one on one. And as mentioned, just man to man, no help defense.

Personally, I think David Lee is the worst defensive big, especially man to man. But he's not last on the list. Well, he missed some time, but also there's a good chance teams like to exploit the Curry/Monta backcourt a lot too since that's just as bad defensively. So as bad as David Lee is, because he's playing with other defenders just as bad, it will be spread out more equally.

In Love's case, Beasley is worse and is probably exploited more. There's a chance they also double Love's man a lot (Rodeo would have to confirm/deny this, I don't know) which limits opportunities.

Anyway, there's no one on that list that shouldn't be on it somewhere, so I think it confirms what we think.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Kevin Love doesn't get tough assignments. That's why his advanced defense stats are good.

Also, advanced stats are garbage. Drtg is the worst. Basketball is such a team game, especially on defense, that the eye test is better.

SephCast said:
The release of Ben Gordon was a necessary evil. It helped Rose become the man he is today.

Ben Gordon's defense was not half as bad as everyone claimed.
He was a nice relief for what the bulls were post-jordan but Rose has spoiled me again.

Rodeo Clown said:
Kevin Love doesn't get tough assignments. That's why his advanced defense stats are good.

Also, advanced stats are garbage. Drtg is the worst. Basketball is such a team game, especially on defense, that the eye test is better.

I agree about DRating. It's really a team rating, anyway (or unit).

Synergy stats are really advanced stats, though. I look it at it like this. If your stats are bad, you're definitely bad. How bad? Rely on our eyes.

giri

Kogepan said:
So everyone that wasn't on the Team USA roster in Beijing is a 'role player'?

i bet u if a coach gave Chandler the same usage rate as Anthony, there wouldn't be much difference in production. In fact I bet u it would be better. Dude blocked 6 shots playing SG.

Any yeh, i'd take Chandler/Gallo/felton over anthony/billups/jeffries any day, in fact i've been whining about it since the trade went down.

oh, yeh, you forgot to mention the Knicks also have VERY limited flexibilty to add anything without renoucning chauncy/fields because of this trade. But yeh, they got Balkman for the next couple years.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Billups is in no way equal to Felton. Aside from his hero shots against the Heat, what has he given this team? That was the biggest mistake of the trade. The Knicks are retarded if they pick up his option next year.

Chandler is mediocre. The evidence is his career to date.

Chauncy is better on O, and makes much smarter decisions and less stupid passes than felton. I know it seems odd to say, because i also think he can be bit of a chucker, but he's still a great 3pt shooter (shooting over .400 for the season). They only gave up some D, but chauncy CAN play D when he chooses too. But he's backed up by absolutely no interior D at all.

the only real loss is on that third player, because if you think gallo is == melo, you're insane. But gallo plays the same position so he was always going to be redundant anyway.

And i didn't say anything about team USA, nor is there any logical reason to bring it up, have you got a chip on your shoulder about something? Amare didn't go to beijing either, i wouldn't call him a role player?

CherryWoodFuton said:
Pat Riley did a pretty good job in rebuilding the team. Only one 15 win season and a couple 5th seed seasons with plenty of cap room at the end to sign Lebron Wade and Bosh

getting those bottom 4 play off seeds in the east for the last 6 years didn't really count for much in terms of a "good" season.

marathonfool said:
How can you account for Love's statistics when his man is shooting a wide open jumper and he's underneath the rim boxing out his teammate.

Synergy does account for that, they don't account for rotations where someone would take Love's man after Love gets beat and then Love fails to rotate to an open shooter though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom