• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Mar |OT| Now listening to the Stan Van Gundy mixtape

Status
Not open for further replies.

giri

MidnightCowboy said:
Dude, I'd love it if Griffin adopted the same mentality as Rose for next year. "Why can't I be MVP?" I know I'm overreacting, but he's so good.
He gets an elbow jumper that he hits ~45% on, and starts shooting ft's ~75% he really does come close to the best PF. Would atleast have an amazing career.

dream

I like making fun of the Knicks and I especially love watching the Knicks play good teams! but writing them off is silly. I think they have a lot more longterm potential than the Heat.

dream said:
I think they have a lot more longterm potential than the Heat.

Why? They're pretty much capped out for the foreseeable future, they owe multiple draft picks, they have no depth, their point guard is 35 and Amare's knees are this >< close to shot. Not to mention the fact that Amare & Carmelo aren't as good as Wade & Lebron in the first place.

Plus let's be real - Riley vs. Donnie secretly controlled by Isiah Thomas, part time NCAA coach. You're betting on Donnie?

threenote

Banned
dream said:
I like making fun of the Knicks and I especially love watching the Knicks play good teams! but writing them off is silly. I think they have a lot more longterm potential than the Heat.
No they really don't.

They traded half their team, draft picks, and cash. Knicks cannot/will not win with what they have.

dream

LiveFromKyoto said:
Why? They're pretty much capped out for the foreseeable future, they owe multiple draft picks, they have no depth, their point guard is 35 and Amare's knees are this >< close to shot. Not to mention the fact that Amare & Carmelo aren't as good as Wade & Lebron in the first place.

Plus let's be real - Riley vs. Donnie secretly controlled by Isiah Thomas, part time NCAA coach. You're betting on Donnie?

I guess when it comes down to it, I'm just a point guard whore and I don't have any faith that Miami will ever run proper offensive sets with the ball in anyone but Lebron's hands. I think Chauncey is a lot better than Michael Bibby too.

dream said:
I guess when it comes down to it, I'm just a point guard whore and I don't have any faith that Miami will ever run proper offensive sets with the ball in anyone but Lebron's hands. I think Chauncey is a lot better than Michael Bibby too.

None of that matters when you have the power to enable a free throw parade.

SamuraiX-

threenote said:
No they really don't.

They traded half their team, draft picks, and cash. Knicks cannot/will not win with what they have.

I think what he's trying to say is they have two superstars that don't negate each other out and who also don't have to change their style of play that much for the Knicks to have future success. They just need a more defensive minded coach, some size down low, and some key role players to be championship contenders.

SamuraiX- said:
I think what he's trying to say is they have two superstars that don't negate each other out

They kinda do. Neither is a great defender and they both like the ball in roughly the same spot. If NY was offered a Carmelo + Amare for Wade + Lebron trade they wouldn't even think about it before saying yes.

SamuraiX- said:
I think what he's trying to say is they have two superstars that don't negate each other out and who also don't have to change their style of play that much for the Knicks to have future success. They just need a more defensive minded coach, some size down low, and some key role players to be championship contenders.

Neither Amar'e nor Melo play any actual defense or are that efficient on offense. Maybe the problem is that they're also overrated.

They will need a lot more support from the role players than Miami.

dream

For some reason, I sort of picture Amare and Melo eventually developing that KG/Pierce or Odom/Pau type of deal where they compliment each other without getting in each other's way. Maybe it's just wishful thinking though.

wtf, I don't even like the Knicks. It's not wishful thinking - it's just ignorance.

threenote

Banned
SamuraiX- said:
Interesting perspective . With that point of view , they may have a shot in the future .
Like you said , they need that defense , man. It's killing them .

Zep

Banned
It just dawned on me that Rose will have the same amount of MVP's as Shaq after the season. Biased league against big men, confirmed.

Kogepan

SamuraiX- said:

Blaming the coach is a ridiculous cop out. The simple fact is that they gave up way too much of their depth to obtain Carmelo. They have a black hole at C. Opponents have figured out how to attack their short roster.

Its not gonna get any better the next 3-4 years either...since Amare/Melo DIDN'T sign for less money like wade/lebron/rupual...they're not gonna have cap room to fix this.

giri

Kogepan said:
Blaming the coach is a ridiculous cop out. The simple fact is that they gave up way too much of their depth to obtain Carmelo. They have a black hole at C. Opponents have figured out how to attack their short roster.

Its not gonna get any better the next 3-4 years either...since Amare/Melo DIDN'T sign for less money like wade/lebron/rupual...they're not gonna have cap room to fix this.
You're right, when you give up 3 starters (all 3 are role players) for 2 upgrades (i think chauncy is better, but you coud probably argue he's about even with feton) and one of them the best scorer in the game? You gotta turn it down. I know there's no way I'd do that trade. Nuh uh. Only an idiot would do that trade.

diehard

Fleer
TheGreatMightyPoo said:
2 on 1 with 6'3" Rose trying to block the shot is comparable to half court possession with 6'11" Dwight Howard shying away from lil Rajon Rondo dunking???

Oh wait, Jazz fan.

Nevermind.
Getting dunked on in last years playoffs means you can't be this years MVP??

Oh wait, Bulls fan.

Nevermind.

Kogepan

giri said:
You're right, when you give up 3 starters (all 3 are role players) for 2 upgrades (i think chauncy is better, but you coud probably argue he's about even with feton) and one of them the best scorer in the game? You gotta turn it down. I know there's no way I'd do that trade. Nuh uh. Only an idiot would do that trade.

So everyone that wasn't on the Team USA roster in Beijing is a 'role player'?

i bet u if a coach gave Chandler the same usage rate as Anthony, there wouldn't be much difference in production. In fact I bet u it would be better. Dude blocked 6 shots playing SG.

Any yeh, i'd take Chandler/Gallo/felton over anthony/billups/jeffries any day, in fact i've been whining about it since the trade went down.

oh, yeh, you forgot to mention the Knicks also have VERY limited flexibilty to add anything without renoucning chauncy/fields because of this trade. But yeh, they got Balkman for the next couple years.

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
The Heat and Knicks are great for the league, it shows you how not to rebuild a team.

This is really stupid. You're reaching levels of homerism unthinkable. What's the best plan? Get fucking lucky and luck into Derrick Rose? Ok. Because before this summer, Chicago had a reputation for a great front office, right?

Besides that, I think I will take going from a lottery to a mediocre .500 team for a couple years to one of the league's elite any day of the week.

giri said:
Billups is in no way equal to Felton. Aside from his hero shots against the Heat, what has he given this team? That was the biggest mistake of the trade. The Knicks are retarded if they pick up his option next year.

KingGondo

Banned
Had a great time at the game last night, although it was closer for much of the game than it should have been.

I'll be honest, Al Jeff abused Perk tonight. 14-18? Damn.

Still a nice win, hopefully we can keep this momentum going and beat Minny on Friday (without Love, lol) and Portland on Sunday. That would pretty much wrap up the division.

Eric Gordon is a weird player to judge the value of. Great player, maybe the fourth best SG in the league, clutch, defends better than most, but he's missed 20+ games the last two seasons and in college was really held back by another injury. Going to be interesting to see how much teams offer him knowing that they're only going to get 55-60 games a year.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Going to be interesting to see how much teams offer him knowing that they're only going to get 55-60 games a year.

Does it matter?

clippers.png

Pat Riley did a pretty good job in rebuilding the team. Only one 15 win season and a couple 5th seed seasons with plenty of cap room at the end to sign Lebron Wade and Bosh

CherryWoodFuton said:
Pat Riley did a pretty good job in rebuilding the team. Only one 15 win season and a couple 5th seed seasons with plenty of cap room at the end to sign Lebron Wade and Bosh

It just makes no sense to call anything a bust or a success at this point when we're not done. Most of the teams that went through an overhaul had high expectations but everybody knows that this year isn't the only year you can add meaningful pieces. Unless the CBA fucks teams over, that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom