• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Mar |OT| Now listening to the Stan Van Gundy mixtape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff-DSA

Rodeo Clown said:
It's Stockholm syndrome. They have to justify the $30M he'll be getting the next 2 seasons to put up numbers while the Jazz win 22 games.

How many wins is Kevin Love bringing you guys?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Jeff-DSA said:
relio's arguments in the last handful of posts are compelling.
What argument am I supposed to have? Should I listen to ItWasMeantToBe who thinks that CJ Miles is better than Batum, that Batum is a bad defender, that Al Jefferson is as good as Dwight Howard in post defense, and that Gordon Hayward is a good player?

Or should I go by my experience of watching Batum play hundreds of games, the fact that Nate McMillan (USA Basketball's defensive coordinator) not only puts him on the best wing player, but also regularly has him guard the best point-guards like Steve Nash, Chris Paul, Deron Williams, and Derrick Rose?

No, wait, you are right. I'll listen to the guy that thinks Gordon Hayward is a good basketball player, but is being held back by the evil Ty Corbin.

Rodeo Clown said:
It's Stockholm syndrome. They have to justify the $30M he'll be getting the next 2 seasons to put up numbers while the Jazz win 22 games.

There's been a lot of talk all season that either or Millsap will have to be moved because they're both scorers who suck at defense and rebounding, but Al's man D is actually good this season, he can limit the guys he's guarding very well and doesn't need help like every other big in recent Jazz history has.

What argument am I supposed to have? Should I listen to ItWasMeantToBe who thinks that CJ Miles is better than Batum, that Batum is a bad defender, that Al Jefferson is as good as Dwight Howard in post defense, and that Gordon Hayward is a good player?

Wow, I didn't say any of those things other than Hayward is good at basketball. Corbin is an insane coach who plays Raja Bell 47 minutes per game even though Raja can't defend and refuses to take shots and can't pass. Hayward played well at the beginning of the season, lost his confidence, and has started to play well again in the last couple months.

Jeff-DSA

reilo said:

Or should I go by my experience of watching Batum play hundreds of games, the fact that Nate McMillan (USA Basketball's defensive coordinator) not only puts him on the best wing player, but also regularly has him guard the best point-guards like Steve Nash, Chris Paul, Deron Williams, and Derrick Rose?

No, wait, you are right. I'll listen to the guy that thinks Gordon Hayward is a good basketball player, but is being held back by the evil Ty Corbin.

Yes.

reilo

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Wow, I didn't say any of those things other than Hayward is good at basketball. Corbin is an insane coach who plays Raja Bell 47 minutes per game even though Raja can't defend and refuses to take shots and can't pass. Hayward played well at the beginning of the season, lost his confidence, and has started to play well again in the last couple months.
You just said that Batum isn't as good as CJ Miles AND that Batum is a bad defender a page ago, wtf. You also posted those Al Jefferson defensive stats a week or so ago. If you don't believe in any of that shit, why are you posting it?

reilo said:
You just said that Batum isn't as good as CJ Miles AND that Batum is a bad defender a page ago, wtf. You also posted those Al Jefferson defensive stats a week or so ago. If you don't believe in any of that shit, why are you posting it?

Uh, no?

You: "Lazar Hayward has better stats than Gordon Hayward!"
Me: "CJ Miles has better stats than Nicholas Batum."
You: "WTFWERW#R, AL JEFFERSON DEFENSIVE STATSWERASDF."

I posted Al and Dwight's defensive stats because it was funny how similar they were. I think both CJ and Batum are pretty mediocre SFs and I never posted which one I think is better (Would be pretty uninteresting to compare), I think Hayward can a pretty good basketball player.

SUPREME1

Banned
reilo said:
Eh? What a terrible analogy. If any one NBA team was the "Duke" of the NBA, it would be the Lakers.

I don't see how it's 'terrible'.

- Spurs play a very disciplined style of basketball, as does Duke.

- Spurs don't rely on super atheletes, neither does Duke.

- Spurs have a history of winning rings, but have their off years, as does Duke.

- Spurs have an all time great coach, as does Duke.

- Spurs, for a while anyway, were the outright favorites earlier in the season, so was Duke. Both have shown signs of weakness since then.

- If the Spurs were to win it all, nobody would be too surprised, same with Duke

- If the Spurs were to lose at some point, nobody would be too surpised, same with Duke

- Spurs are great franchise, top to bottom, Duke's a great program is also great top to bottom

- If Duke would have been knocked out in the final four, it'd be like the Spurs losing in the WCF. Disappointin, but acceptable.

- Duke plays with certain level of maturity, usually fields a mature team with plenty of seniors. Spurs likewise.

- Duke getting bumped this early surely was not expected, neither would a Spurs loss in the second round.

- I could even go into injuries, or more specifically, having your best player recover from injury just in time for the playoffs/tourney and having to adjust their game for the betterment of the team.

Let's not act as if Duke was an outright favorite or expected to win it all. They were a safe bet, which ended up not coming thru. Hell, I woulda bet on them if I was in Vegas, but it's not like I'd counting my money before they actually won.

The Spurs are actually a lot more similar than your suggestion of the Lakers. If the Lakers were to lose anywhere before the WCF, it'd be fucking huge.

I could on, but I was just trying to make a point that it wasn't a terrible analogy at all.

reilo

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Uh, no?

You: "Lazar Hayward has better stats than Gordon Hayward!"
Me: "CJ Miles has better stats than Nicholas Batum."
You: "WTFWERW#R, AL JEFFERSON DEFENSIVE STATSWERASDF."

I posted Al and Dwight's defensive stats because it was funny how similar they were. I think both CJ and Batum are pretty mediocre SFs and I never posted which one I think is better (Would be pretty uninteresting to compare), I think Hayward can a pretty good basketball player.
No, I said Lazar was putting up the same numbers in less minutes. My overall larger point, which I actually wrote out to you in detail because you obviously didn't understand the subtlety of it:

The actual point I'm trying to bring up here, Gordon Hayward is worth talking about as much as Lazar Hayward is. You're wasting everybody's time.

dIEHARD said:
BYU is like the Jazz, never quite good enough and full of white guys.

sigh..

And full of shitty defense, Jazz are now 29th in three point defense and are allowing 46% from three for the last several months, you can't draft a perimeter player who doesn't defend in this situation.

reilo

ImperialConquest said:
I don't see how it's 'terrible'.
With Bruce Bowen gone, how many Spurs players are even hated? Hell, how many players can you even name from their team?

With Duke, and with the Lakers, they've constantly fielded quite a few egotistical douchebags over the past decade that aren't very well liked, on top of them winning a shit ton of games. It's not about style nor pedigree as to why people dislike Duke. It's about the players being douches and the pedigree. You're missing the point as to why Duke is disliked.

dIEHARD said:
Hayward actually has a good chance to be a good player, so you're point doesn't really work there either.
Why does Gordon have a better chance at becoming a good player over Lazar?

diehard

Fleer
He has a better chance just from what i have seen from both of them, just an opinion, i'm not going to look up advanced stats to try and prove it.

diehard

Fleer
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
And full of shitty defense, Jazz are now 29th in three point defense and are allowing 46% from three for the last several months, you can't draft a perimeter player who doesn't defend in this situation.
That's from defensive philosophy, we have an even bigger problem on the other end with nobody that can consistently hit a 3. Find me someone who can hit 3's and play defense and it won't matter because we don't have a pick high enough to get him.

Sorry didnt mean to post twice.

SUPREME1

Banned
reilo said:
With Bruce Bowen gone, how many Spurs players are even hated? Hell, how many players can you even name from their team?

With Duke, and with the Lakers, they've constantly fielded quite a few egotistical douchebags over the past decade that aren't very well liked, on top of them winning a shit ton of games. It's not about style nor pedigree as to why people dislike Duke. It's about the players being douches and the pedigree. You're missing the point as to why Duke is disliked.

Why does Gordon have a better chance at becoming a good player over Lazar?

So your reasoning as to why the Lakers losing early is more simlar to Duke losing early than the Spurs would be, is because of douchebag players?

LOL.

reilo

ImperialConquest said:
So your reasoning as to why the Lakers losing early is more simlar to Duke losing early than the Spurs would be, is because of douchebag players?

LOL.
Ugh, yes. Nobody gives a shit about the Spurs because nobody can be bothered to dislike their players. The only ones that do feel like the Spurs are even comparable to someone like Duke would be insecure Laker fans. Oh hey, wait a minute...

reilo said:

With Duke, and with the Lakers, they've constantly fielded championship teams while crushing the hopes of other franchises because they have better players/coaching/more money/etc. It's not about style nor pedigree as to why people dislike Duke. It's about the players being douches and the pedigree. You're missing the point as to why Duke is disliked.

Adjusted for accuracy, and yes, the closest analogy in most people's minds for Duke is the Lakers. Always good, huge fan base, everyone always wants to beat them.

Dunno who the Spurs would be.

SUPREME1

Banned
reilo said:
Ugh, yes. Nobody gives a shit about the Spurs because nobody can be bothered to dislike their players. The only ones that do feel like the Spurs are even comparable to someone like Duke would be insecure Laker fans. Oh hey, wait a minute...

ITT, reilo completely ignores the various actual and specific similarities and circumstances of this year's teams. Choosing, instead, to go the BSPN route of bringing up meaningless comparisons which have nothing to do with actual play on the court.

reilo, you so crazy.

reilo

ImperialConquest said:
ITT, reilo completely ignores the various actual and specific similarities and circumstances of this year's teams. Choosing, instead, to go the BSPN route of bringing up meaningless, perceived similarities.

reilo, you so crazy.
Uhm, no. You're the crazy one. Talk to anyone that actually dislikes Duke, and their response will be irrational and full of talk about what Duke stands for rather than what Duke does. It's the same with the Yankees in baseball and the Lakers in basketball. It's not about style of play or what kind of athletes they have.

Oh, by the way, "facts"? lol come on dude.

If the Spurs were to lose at some point, nobody would be too surpised, same with Duke
What is this? If the Spurs score less points than the opposition, they lose the game! Thanks for the insight.

SUPREME1

Banned
reilo said:
Uhm, no. You're the crazy one. Talk to anyone that actually dislikes Duke, and their response will be irrational and full of talk about what Duke stands for rather than what Duke does. It's the same with the Yankees in baseball and the Lakers in basketball. It's not about style of play or what kind of athletes they have.

Oh, by the way, "facts"? lol come on dude.

What is this? If the Spurs score less points than the opposition, they lose the game! Thanks for the insight.

Dude, my reasons for why this year's Spurs team is more similar to this year's Duke squad are listed above.

What's your argument?

"Lakers are more similar to Duke because people hate them both"

Yeah, fuck, got me there. Talk about insight!!

reilo

ImperialConquest said:
Dude, my reasons for why this year's Spurs team is more similar to this year's Duke squad are listed above.

What's your argument?

"Lakers are more similar to Duke because people hate them both"

Yeah, fuck, got me there. Talk about insight!!
No, I clearly said that they feature douchey players and win despite that. That's why people dislike Duke. It doesn't have to be more complicated than that.

Nobody dislikes the Spurs nor do people really give a shit if they win or lose. gtfo.

Your awesome insight is that both teams have great coaches. Holy shit! Teams that win tend to have good coaching? No wayyyyyyy, John Madden!

The Lakers are a half-game behind, and it's a crucial one because it's in the loss column -- with teams of that caliber, that's basically worth three games in the win column. The Lakers also face a slightly more difficult schedule the rest of the way, albeit one with just four road games left.

And the tiebreaker? That's where it gets interesting. The two split the season series, and the next tiebreaker is record against playoff teams; the Lakers will almost certainly have the advantage here, as eight of their losses so far have been against current lottery teams against just six for Chicago.

Good to know ESPN employs people that don't know the actual rules. NBA Finals tiebreakers go to out of conference record and then [I think] a coin flip. Nice job, Hollinger

Black Mamba said:
Good to know ESPN employs people that don't know the actual rules. NBA Finals tiebreakers go to out of conference record and then [I think] a coin flip. Nice job, Hollinger

ESPN = Entertainment. Their NBA section has been a joke for a while.

Black Mamba said:

Hollinger posted on his Twitter immediately after the article went up that he made a mistake and was going to correct soon.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Hollinger posted on his Twitter immediately after the article went up that he made a mistake and was going to correct soon.

Ah, okay. He probably forgot. In his defense, I couldn't find the finals tiebreaker online a couple weeks ago from the NBA. Only in conference tiebreakers. Good to see he's fixing it.

reilo said:
No, I clearly said that they feature douchey players and win despite that. That's why people dislike Duke. It doesn't have to be more complicated than that.

Nobody dislikes the Spurs nor do people really give a shit if they win or lose. gtfo.

Your awesome insight is that both teams have great coaches. Holy shit! Teams that win tend to have good coaching? No wayyyyyyy, John Madden!

Actually I hate the Spurs because I hate Robot Tim Duncan.

charsace

Adam Blade said:
Controversial (?) opinion time...

Does anyone else hate ASOIAF and think it's the most overrated fantasy series of all time like I do?
The only fantasy series' I like more are The deed of Paksenarrian and The Hammer and Cross.

I think ASOIAF is great stuff.

masud

Banned
ht8m12.jpg

Jackass...

charsace said:
He's wrong. Everything on that list is worst since the trade. Can't wait for Antoni to get fired.

Hope we draft Knight, a big or the kid from colorado.

Both of those guys are going top ten in this horrible draft and I don't know if either would solve any of the Knicks' issues.

With Evan Turner's massive statistically downturn in the last ten games, there's still a chance Gordon Hayward could beat him in PER this season! How is Turner's defense? Jazz desperately need a SG who can rebound so they'll probably be interested in trading for him but they need defense from a SG more...

charsace

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Both of those guys are going top ten in this horrible draft and I don't know if either would solve any of the Knicks' issues.
Well I want them with our pick and if we have a second I would like Chandler Parsons on the knicks. I think Parsons will be a steal.

Am I the only NBA guy who doesn't follow college basketball?

Also now that ATHE isn't showing any NBA games anymore, where do you guys go now to get streams?

Jeff-DSA

charsace said:
He's wrong. Everything on that list is worst since the trade. Can't wait for Antoni to get fired.

Hope we draft Knight, a big or the kid from colorado.

Pringles is to blame? Could it be that Carmelo doesn't buy into anybody's system and just does his own thing regardless of whether or not it's actually helping?

charsace

Jeff-DSA said:
Pringles is to blame? Could it be that Carmelo doesn't buy into anybody's system and just does his own thing regardless of whether or not it's actually helping?
He's doing what Antoni tells him to do. He doesn't post up anymore all he does is sit in the corner and wait or run the pick and roll.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:

With Evan Turner's massive statistically downturn in the last ten games, there's still a chance Gordon Hayward could beat him in PER this season! How is Turner's defense? Jazz desperately need a SG who can rebound so they'll probably be interested in trading for him but they need defense from a SG more...

Turner plays okay defense. It looks funny but it's effective but if he gets called for touch fouls he enters emo mode and then falls off the face of the planet.

Turner also has to be a giant asshole in practice because Collins has been play Nocioni ahead of him the last 3 games. I so hope he turns it around because dude has been a huge dissapointment this year. I'd still take him if only because Doug would have killed or ate Cousins soul by now.

But hey, we making the playoffs and shit. First Round test for someone and bow out gracefully and do it again next year..fuck yeah.

reilo said:

For those of you who have torn your Achilles, what does it feel like? Yes it hurts, shooting pain, but do you actually feel as though something is torn? I have never torn any tendons or anything of that nature so I don't know.

Zep

Banned
reilo said:
At his age, it's probably the end of his career.

His game isn't predicated on athleticism so he'll be just fine coming back around. He can sit out on the wings like McDyess and hit the 15-18fter no problem.

Jeff-DSA

LovingSteam said:
For those of you who have torn your Achilles, what does it feel like? Yes it hurts, shooting pain, but do you actually feel as though something is torn? I have never torn any tendons or anything of that nature so I don't know.

I'm recovering from some torn tendons right now. It feels like a pop and some burn when it happens, and then your foot doesn't work right at all. You simply can't support weight on it. It's been since January, and I'm still nowhere near pain free. I can walk around fine now, but any twisting or putting any pressure on my ankle makes it hurt sharply and then it aches for a bit.

reilo

LovingSteam said:
I think The Crimson Blur talked about he tore his ACL and didn't even notice it until years afterwards. He kept practicing martial arts on it, too.

SUPREME1

Banned
reilo said:

Again, you've posted zero reasons why the Lakers are similar to Duke this year besides
perceived character issues.

"...they feature douchey players..."

^That's some really weak shit. Seriously. How the fuck does that so-called argument hold up in any way against what I posted? It doesn't.

And please don't try and make it seem like that's all I wrote. But if you insist, you might want to wait for the next page, so people won't think your full of shit. I mean the list is right there for all to see.

You're better than this reilo. C'mon son!

reilo

ImperialConquest said:
Again, you've posted zero reasons why the Lakers are similar to Duke this year besides
perceived character issues.

"...they feature douchey players..."

^That's some really weak shit. Seriously. How the fuck does that so-called argument hold up in any way against what I posted? It doesn't.

And please don't try and make it seem like that's all I wrote. But if you insist, you might want to wait for the next page, so people won't think your full of shit. I mean the list is right there for all to see.

You're better than this reilo. C'mon son!
You know, I'm just gonna leave this here and quote another Lakers fan that agrees with me:

Boombloxer said:
Adjusted for accuracy, and yes, the closest analogy in most people's minds for Duke is the Lakers. Always good, huge fan base, everyone always wants to beat them.

Dunno who the Spurs would be.
Have a good fucking day, sir!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom