• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Mar |OT| Now listening to the Stan Van Gundy mixtape

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a really depressing draft for lottery teams. You can tell that Sullinger and Barnes are the type of guys who have the mentality where they are completely fine with going back to campus, getting ass all over the place, experiencing the tournament again and then joining the NBA later. And what's worse is Kyrie, Harrison and Jared seem to have a connection not unlike Wade/Bron/Bosh so I wouldn't be surprised if Kyrie stays again. He knows he'll probably be a top 3 pick whenever he comes out, especially with Nolan Smith leaving this summer.

So there is a good chance that it's Derrick Williams or quite literally bust. It's going to be hilarious how many teams are going to instantly be considering trade down or trade OUT scenarios...even the team that is selecting second overall.

And things get even WORSE if they change it so you can only join the NBA after you're sophmore season. Of course there's an offchance that someone improves like Williams did in their soph season, but at this point it would almost be like the same SHITTY draft again next year, with Barnes, Kyrie and Harrison has top 3 picks.

ima go ly down.

Kyrie will declare.

edit: Local writers defending this class is pretty hilarious though. "Harrison Barnes, I'd take him #1, why do you people say this is a weak draft?" Because Barnes' main comparisons don't start for below average basketball teams. Jazz will probably end up taking Burks, Kanter, or Knight 6th and those guys might not go lottery in a normal year.

Kogepan

AlphaSnake said:
I'm fairly certain this won't happen. The Knicks are more aware than ever that they simply need a legit center. D'Antoni will get fired, and we'll get a new center. Turfiaf, Balkman, and Shelden Williams will likely get traded away for a mid-level center.

who's going to u give a mid-level C for Turiaf and BALKMAN?

More likely a FA like Dalembert/Nazr....or a trade for a guy like Robin Lopez...

Kogepan said:
who's going to u give a mid-level C for Turiaf and BALKMAN?

More likely a FA like Dalembert/Nazr....or a trade for a guy like Robin Lopez...

Memo Okur for Landry Fields, Memo is 7'0 and rebounds and he fits Knicks' culture with the threes, probably would be the best defender in the Knicks' frontcourt as well.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
You can never trust what college kids say in March after losing in the tournament. Most will still end up declaring. This draft will still suck, though.

Rodeo Clown said:
You can never trust what college kids say in March after losing in the tournament. Most will still end up declaring. This draft will still suck, though.

Sullinger has said he's been going to stay every time before this. I don't think he's a starter in the NBA though.

Gabyskra

Banned
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Memo Okur for Landry Fields, Memo is 7'0 and rebounds and he fits Knicks' culture with the threes, probably would be the best defender in the Knicks' frontcourt as well.

Stop with the idiocy please. Okur has a gigantic contract, it wouldn't work. Fields is worth much more than him at that point.

BruceLeeRoy said:
This might sound ridiculous but I always feel one of the things that separates the truly great from just the talented is how they act after they have a amazing finish. Rose never gets too wrapped up in the emotion. He makes a incredible shot and stays calm amidst everyone losing their damn minds.

Thats because he doesnt have a personality.

BruceLeeRoy said:
This might sound ridiculous but I always feel one of the things that separates the truly great from just the talented is how they act after they have a amazing finish. Rose never gets too wrapped up in the emotion. He makes a incredible shot and stays calm amidst everyone losing their damn minds.

For the most part I agree. On occasion he'll thump his chest after a great finish to the basket (I think from his final drive for the AND1 last night).

His humbleness is really inspiring though. I love his "why can't I be MVP" comment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3NVmn51zE0

BruceLeeRoy said:

So I guess Kobe is a scrub then.

BruceLeeRoy said:

Most players would not stop to celebrate when play is still happening. If it's buzzer beater or and and1 yeah, but I think you're overstating what he did there.

and by the way, when Shaq first came in with Wade, it was all "omg what a humble gentleman.." look now...
it's coming to get you too, Derrick

I had to catch the replay of last nights game, I just wanted to say HOOOLY SHIIIT!!!! This is like a video game, I can see the ball on fire while Wade holds it. God I can't wait for the playoffs to start.

charsace

The knicks team I wanted to have for next season is:

Felton
Fields
Carmelo/Gallo
Amare
DeAndre Jordan
Bench:
Turiaf
Toney D
Drafted player

And then fill out the rest.

charsace said:

Felton
Fields
Carmelo/Gallo
Amare
DeAndre Jordan
Bench:
Turiaf
Toney D
Drafted player

if you signed melo where would the cap space for deandre jordan come from? wilson chandler?

charsace said:

Felton
Fields
Carmelo/Gallo
Amare
DeAndre Jordan
Bench:
Turiaf
Toney D
Drafted player

The Laker Team I wanted for next season

PG- Prime Magic
SG - Prime Kobe
SF - Prime Baylor
PF - Prime Rib
C - Prime Kareem

Bench - Various Monstars

Dark FaZe said:
This is a really depressing draft for lottery teams. You can tell that Sullinger and Barnes are the type of guys who have the mentality where they are completely fine with going back to campus, getting ass all over the place, experiencing the tournament again and then joining the NBA later. And what's worse is Kyrie, Harrison and Jared seem to have a connection not unlike Wade/Bron/Bosh so I wouldn't be surprised if Kyrie stays again. He knows he'll probably be a top 3 pick whenever he comes out, especially with Nolan Smith leaving this summer.

So there is a good chance that it's Derrick Williams or quite literally bust. It's going to be hilarious how many teams are going to instantly be considering trade down or trade OUT scenarios...even the team that is selecting second overall.

And things get even WORSE if they change it so you can only join the NBA after you're sophmore season. Of course there's an offchance that someone improves like Williams did in their soph season, but at this point it would almost be like the same SHITTY draft again next year, with Barnes, Kyrie and Harrison has top 3 picks.

In all honesty, if I had a lottery pick I'd just target guys like Derrick Williams or Kemba Walker. Take a known entity, even if those guys aren't going to be franchise players or super stars, at least you know what you are getting. The "potential" guys in this draft scare the shit out of me. Perry Jones might just be another Brandan Wright and Kyrie Irving could be Boobie Gibson for all we know.

ph33nix said:
if you signed melo where would the cap space for deandre jordan come from? wilson chandler?

if Knick's front office doesn't understand the salary cap why would you expect their fans to?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
The Celtics are fading fast. I wish the Heat had the 7th or 8th seed so we can send those old guys to the retirement home already.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:

Fields is a New York staple at this point. He survived the massive trade, that tells me the Knicks have plans for him. Quite frankly, he's Rookie of the Year as far as I'm concerned.

And yes, I do firmly believe that the Knicks are going to trade away a whole bunch of scrubs for one average center.

DCX

DCX
ph33nix said:
If we bought out Billups we could sign Deandre Jordan and have Douglas be the point.

DCX

AlphaSnake said:
Fields is a New York staple at this point. He survived the massive trade, that tells me the Knicks have plans for him. Quite frankly, he's Rookie of the Year as far as I'm concerned.

And yes, I do firmly believe that the Knicks are going to trade away a whole bunch of scrubs for one average center.

first of all, LOL at Landry fields being RotY. Ever heard of Blake Griffin, bro?

Also, LOL at the Knicks getting Brendan Haywood.

The parallels between this draft and the 2006 draft are striking. The 2006 draft had four total starters :( I wonder who will be this draft's Sene.

AlphaSnake said:

But THREES.

Kings' want to trade their pick for a veteran player, MEMO OKUR HAS CHAMPIONSHIP EXPERIENCE.

So... ...it looks like Mo Williams is back from the dead. He's been a very good pickup for the Clips so far.

His scoring is up. His FG% is up. His 3pt % is up. He's improved in almost every statical category since joining the Clips.

He may not be All-Star quality, but not just any PG can put up 30 points. Getting away from Lebron and Cleveland will end up being the best thing for his career in years.

AlphaSnake

Ninja Scooter said:
first of all, LOL at Landry fields being RotY. Ever heard of Blake Griffin, bro?

While Fields may not be as high of a scorer as Griffin, for obvious reasons, he has the hustle, he's a better shooter statistically, he's a decent defensive player for his stature, he steals, he rebounds (far more than he should be, really), and his style of play is smarter than most. It's not often I see Fields take a shot when he's covered, he knows when the shot isn't his and is quick to keep passing it around.

Griffin has the attention because he doesn't have an all-star cast around him, with the former exception of Davis - but even Davis has gotten older and his game worse, so Griffin was able to take over. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying Fields is RoTY in my opinion. Even though I know he won't win it.

DCX

DCX
AlphaSnake said:
While Fields may not be as high of a scorer as Griffin, for obvious reasons, he has the hustle, he's a better shooter statistically, he's a decent defensive player for his stature, he steals, he rebounds (far more than he should be, really), and his style of play is smarter than most. It's not often I see Fields take a shot when he's covered, he knows when the shot isn't his and is quick to keep passing it around.

Griffin has the attention because he doesn't have an all-star cast around him, with the former exception of Davis - but even Davis has gotten older and his game worse, so Griffin was able to take over. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying Fields is RoTY in my opinion. Even though I know he won't win it.
stop...just stop

DCX

AlphaSnake said:

But i'm saying you're wrong. Griffin is having one of the best rookie seasons of the least decade, he's probably the best rookie since LeBron.

The Chosen One said:
So... ...it looks like Mo Williams is back from the dead. He's been a very good pickup for the Clips so far.

His scoring is up. His FG% is up. His 3pt % is up. He's improved in almost every statical category since joining the Clips.

He may not be All-Star quality, but not just any PG can put up 30 points. Getting away from Lebron and Cleveland will end up being the best thing for his career in years.

While I agree with the rest of this post, you are not aware of Fisher's defense!

Remember when a 55 year old Earl Boykins torched LAL this season? ya...

diehard

Fleer
Lakers should find a way to get Jimmer, he would kill in the triangle and it's not like you arent used to bad PG defense already.

dIEHARD said:
Lakers should find a way to get Jimmer, he would kill in the triangle and it's not like you arent used to bad PG defense already.

He wouldn't be able to handle the Lakers Honor Code, which calls for mandatory 3ways with supermodels at least twice a week during the season.

AlphaSnake

Ninja Scooter said:
But i'm saying you're wrong. Griffin is having one of the best rookie seasons of the least decade, he's probably the best rookie since LeBron.

Put me on the Clippers and I'd be rookie of the year too.

Scrubby team with 3...well, 2 good players = inflated stats.

So eat my nuts, PistonHonda.

AlphaSnake said:
Put me on the Clippers and I'd be rookie of the year too.

Scrubby team with 3...well, 2 good players = inflated stats.

So eat my nuts, PistonHonda.

Did you just start watching basketball after the Melo trade? Playing for Donald Sterling is a detriment if anything. The Clippers are fucking cursed and Blake is still dominating. It's like a guy pitching at Coors Field putting up 1.50 ERA.

AlphaSnake

Ninja Scooter said:
Did you just start watching basketball after the Melo trade? Playing for Donald Sterling is a detriment if anything. The Clippers are fucking cursed and Blake is still dominating. It's like a guy pitching at Coors Field putting up 1.50 ERA.

LOL @ Melo trade. I've been watching for 20 years, Knick fan through all of them...lots of tears have been shed. Got all the proof laying around here somewhere too.

Wes Matthews should have won RotY last year. Starter on second-round playoff team in West, great defender, intangibles, shooting, people are finally coming around to it I think.

Ninja Scooter said:

I don't follow the MLB very much, but haven't the Rockies have had a great pitching staff with quality ERAs the last few years?

edit: NOOOO, Valanciunas might not declare according to people who follow Euro basketball closely, :((((((.

Red Blaster said:
So I guess Kobe is a scrub then.

Meh I don't really count mamba face or the occasional chest hit but of course I am biased. For the most part I would say Kobe is calm and collected. Contrast that with pretty much any player on the Celtics outside of Ray Allen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom