• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Mar |OT| Now listening to the Stan Van Gundy mixtape

Status
Not open for further replies.

The M.O.B

Cloudy said:
rearviewmirro.jpg

Only thing that could make this better is to have another team crashed on the side of the road.

Derwind

giri said:
Yes, the last few years were a mirage!

Well, there championship winning team was an entirely different one then what they have currently. :shrug

The M.O.B said:
Only thing that could make this better is to have another team crashed on the side of the road.

Miami?

Wait, we're talking about the regular season.....okay...

Black Mamba said:
You play the other 4 teams in your division 4 times. You play 6 of the other 10 conference teams 4 times. It's only FOUR teams you play 3 times out of 15. 4 games out of an 82 game season.

It's doesn't make a difference.

DIV A
Team A
shit team
shit team
shit team
shit team

DIV B
Team B
contender
contender
contender
contender

DIV C
average team
average team
average team
average team
average team

Team A plays 16 games against shit teams, ~14 games against contenders, ~17-18 against average teams, and ~3/4 against Team B.

Team B plays 16 games against contenders, ~14 games against shit teams, ~17-18 against average teams, and ~3/4 against Team A.

Assuming Team A and B are as good as one another the difference is:

Team A plays +2 against shit teams, -2 against contenders. That usually amounts to a 4.0 game difference in W-L. Now the conferences aren't as imbalanced as that usually (but they have been in recent years; see Southwest vs. Pacific), so we can say divisions make a 0 to 4 game difference, or 2 on average.

Sure its not as big a difference as conference, but up to 4 games difference is a big deal. Divisions matter.

dream said:
Perk helped team chemistry and brought all those intangibles mentioned when someone asks why Derek Fisher is a starting point guard.

Pretty much this, though Perk is still a much better player than Fish. "If it ain't broke" is generally the rule of thumb for elite teams.

Fish starts because Kobe and Phil trust him implicitly. There is no other reason. If a guy gives you -5 wins on the season, but gives you the peace of mind and one big shot to be +1 in the post-season, I guess the rule is you hang onto him. It's also why Buss hasn't shipped out Bynum yet. Trading Perkins is like, the Rockets trading Thorpe for Drexler fresh off of winning a ring. It worked out in the end for them, but the Celtics' road looks just as tough if not tougher.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Pretty much this, though Perk is still a much better player than Fish. "If it ain't broke" is generally the rule of thumb for elite teams.

Fish starts because Kobe and Phil trust him implicitly. There is no other reason. If a guy gives you -5 wins on the season, but gives you the peace of mind and one big shot to be +1 in the post-season, I guess the rule is you hang onto him. It's also why Buss hasn't shipped out Bynum yet. Trading Perkins is like, the Rockets trading Thorpe for Drexler fresh off of winning a ring. It worked out in the end for them, but the Celtics' road looks just as tough if not tougher.

Also, Jeff Green is terrible at basketball
And even worse at reboundball which Bargnani says they don't play in the NBA so maybe that's a moot point

The Crimson Blur said:
DIV A
Team A
shit team
shit team
shit team
shit team

DIV B
Team B
contender
contender
contender
contender

DIV C
average team
average team
average team
average team
average team

Team A plays 16 games against shit teams, ~14 games against contenders, ~17-18 against average teams, and ~3/4 against Team B.

Team B plays 16 games against contenders, ~14 games against shit teams, ~17-18 against average teams, and ~3/4 against Team A.

Assuming Team A and B are as good as one another the difference is:

Team A plays +2 against shit teams, -2 against contenders. That usually amounts to a 4.0 game difference in W-L. Now the conferences aren't as imbalanced as that usually (but they have been in recent years; see Southwest vs. Pacific), so we can say divisions make a 0 to 4 game difference, or 2 on average.

Sure its not as big a difference as conference, but up to 4 games difference is a big deal. Divisions matter.

2 on average. Out of 82. that's around 2.5%. Injuries, flukey stuff, scheduling make a much larger difference than something like divisions.

Don't forget, if you are -2 against a contender, that means the other 2 contenders are also -1 at least because they don't play you, either!

No one can claim to division as a reason for anything, IMO.

Nice flop by CP3.

dream

You know what's fucked? I only like the Lakers when they wear their alt jerseys. Fuck the Lakers the rest of the time.

Omiee

dream said:
You know what's fucked? I only like the Lakers when they wear their alt jerseys. Fuck the Lakers the rest of the time.

yeah they look good in white, i do like their new yellow jerseys they were wearing against boston and the knicks.

Black Mamba said:
2 on average. Out of 82. that's around 2.5%.

Come on man, you can't be serious. 2 games is huge. Conference races get decided by much less.

Black Mamba said:
Injuries, flukey stuff, scheduling make a much larger difference than something like divisions.

Well no shit. But thats not what I am arguing. Injuries matter. Conference matters. Scheduling (b2bs, long road trips, etc) matters. Duh.

But so does the division. Having an up to 4 game difference in the results makes it a significant factor.

Cloudy said:
Those are retros of the early 90s jerseys

I thought they were like the '77 Lakers or something like that.

Come on man, you can't be serious. 2 games is huge. Conference races get decided by much less.

For the 3rd time, can it affect a seeding. YES. Does it change whether a team is legit or not? NO.

Black Mamba said:
IFor the 3rd time, can it affect a seeding. YES. Does it change whether a team is legit or not? NO.

Do you understand that your argument makes no god damn sense then?

You are telling me injuries, scheduling, and conference change whether a team is legit or not? If not, the fuck are you arguing then? None of those factors change whether a team is good or bad. They just change win-loss record.

Omiee

dream said:
He's a decent shooter and he flops a lot.

haha i ment his injury if there is one.

WOOOW AT THAT DUNK & that hang time by brown!

and one bitches, pau been playing realy well lately.
love love love our chanses against noh if we face them in the first round

The Crimson Blur said:
Do you understand that your argument makes no god damn sense then?

You are telling me injuries, scheduling, and conference change whether a team is legit or not? If not, the fuck are you arguing then? None of those factors change whether a team is good or bad. They just change win-loss record.

Fair point. When I said that, I was only talking about record, cuz i got sucked into that.

But your original comment was this:

"Their record isn't as impressive as everyone is making it out to be...Central division is the weakest division in all of sports."

I'm saying that division doesn't overrate anyone's record. Divisions don't matter in this respect.

Omiee

Forceatowulf said:
This is why I want NO in the first round. They just can't guard our best guys.

Paul is going to give us fits, but he's only one dude.

yeah noh is going to be our utah this year. I dont care what anyone tells you, having an easy first round gives you a lot of confidence.

Cloudy

Banned
Forceatowulf said:
This is why I want NO in the first round. They just can't guard our best guys.

Paul is going to give us fits, but he's only one dude.

I want NO cos it keeps Fish off the floor with foul trouble. Maybe then Phil will realize that Blake works well with Kobe

Black Mamba said:
"Their record isn't as impressive as everyone is making it out to be...Central division is the weakest division in all of sports."

I'm saying that division doesn't overrate anyone's record. Divisions don't matter in this respect.

Yeah, when I was saying that, I meant it like:

"The Bulls play in the weakest division of the weakest conference. The Spurs play in the hardest division of the hardest conference. Its amazing that the Spurs have the lead over the Bulls that they do, considering the circumstances"

Dreohboy

If Shannon had Chris Paul's basketball IQ he would have been the first pick in his draft class.

Unfortunately, his BBall IQ isn't so high.

But the mofo, to be 6'2"-3", he's as strong and athletic as they come in his size.

He's a freak.

laker bench failed again. Shannon's shot has been gone for too long now. And it's infected Barnes.

Now they look bored. Looks like they're hitting some malaise again.

Black Mamba said:
laker bench failed again. Shannon's shot has been gone for too long now. And it's infected Barnes.

Barnes is a player who has no discernible skill in anything.

Omiee

Black Mamba said:

i thought i was the only one who noticed this, monica has been slacking.
the guy was consistent all season, but recently he's been playing worse.
hope he turns it around come playoff time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom