• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Mar |OT| Now listening to the Stan Van Gundy mixtape

Status
Not open for further replies.

diehard

Fleer
Jeff-DSA said:
Man, I can't imagine the shock and awe of the OKC crowd seeing a call go against them in that building. It had to be confusion at the highest possible levels.
It's understandable that Confusion ensued and transformed to anger when they heard a whistle and didn't see Durant or Westbrook at the line.

So the semi-finals in my NBA fantasy league ended yesterday (my team is the #3 seed).

fantasyleague.jpg

Didn't progress because he beat me 2-1 in the regular season. Went down to the last game of the day where I needed Jet and Peja to hit 4 combined threes. Peja went 1-2, Jet.... 2-9. Fail. Worse is the fact that I could have actually won had I remembered to set up my lineup a few days ago. Danny Granger, the only play I forgot to start, went on to hit 2 three's and commit only 1 turnover that day (against Charlotte). :(

TylerD

Yep we don't know what to do with ourselves when we don't get calls.

My roommate currently sits at the top of the ESPN streak for the cash competition for users with active streaks in March. There are two 21 win streaks in front of him. He got to 20 by going Westbrook vs. Aldridge in points and Mavs over the Suns.

Two of his wins last week were Hornets over the Jazz and Blazers over the Spurs... lucky bastard.

It was just as intense in the other semi. Team Nilon progressed to the final... but only thanks to a Channing Frye block with 2 minutes remaining in the game, lol.

J2 Cool

K.Jack said:
Ooooh boy...

Cowherd just said:

- LeBron would lead the Heat to 60 games, without Wade/Bosh
- LeBron might be the second best player we've ever seen.
- The fact that he plays so well with other stars is exactly why he's the MVP
- Derrick Rose plays under no pressure
- He laughs at Rose being the MVP

Lmao, and that's not even everything.

In the last 2 months, didn't we all learn that Wade was a better player than Lebron? At least the debate got more interesting. LOL at the idea of Lebron putting up any kind of historic, career-defining season. If anything, he's underperformed as the table setter. 6.8 assists with those two players around him was not what people were expecting of Lebron and his "Magic-like" passing ability.

And the "Rose has no pressure" comment makes no sense.

Ninja Scooter said:
Another Laker sleepwalk through the Western Conference incoming. Wake me up when the Finals start.

I'm impressed with OKC's quiet rise, built around the defensive strength of Perkins/Ibaka/Sefalosha. I actually see them giving the Lakers the toughest series in the West. Remember, the Lakers still haven't beaten Perkins in a 7-game series... or something like that.

But seriously, them and the Spurs are it. Don't see the Mavs having the balls to run 'n gun the Lakers out of a series, Dirk's not a playoff performer. Blazers are the only team after that I can see even stealing a game.

thekad

Banned
I put an ass-beatin' on LazyvsCrazy in the vets league, as expected. It's ironic that it's me vs Konex in the finals. Two big Kobe fans facing off.

F@mous

Banned
K.Jack said:
Ooooh boy...

Cowherd just said:

- LeBron would lead the Heat to 60 games, without Wade/Bosh
- LeBron might be the second best player we've ever seen.
- The fact that he plays so well with other stars is exactly why he's the MVP
- Derrick Rose plays under no pressure
- He laughs at Rose being the MVP

Lmao, and that's not even everything.

Some of those statements may be a little pretentious. However, as far as the MVP is concerned, Rose's argument for winning the award is not much than Lebron's. Is Rose in the top 5 of any singular stat? When's the last time the award went to somebody like that? Though it is no laughable for Rose to win the MVP, he is by no means a runaway candidate. Really though, in the NBA, the MVP usually goes to the best player on the team with the most wins in a conference....so I can see why he probably will win. Great player...yes. MVP....maybe or no.

And though Rose is playing under the shadow of Jordan, nobody gives him Jordan expectations. In comparison to Lebron, he really is under no pressure. The Bulls were, at the beginning of the year, expected to be in the 3-6 spot in the East. It's been kind of a shocker year for them, especially being currently #1 in the East.

Jeff-DSA

Upcoming Coors Light commercial.

hqdefault.jpg

Coach Green, are the Knicks who we thought they were?

dennis_green_feature.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Coach?

Dennis_Green.jpg

LOL, that's funny. They're worse.

2/10

Edit: stolen from another forum

Darkman M

F@mous said:
Some of those statements may be a little pretentious. However, as far as the MVP is concerned, Rose's argument for winning the award is not much than Lebron's. Is Rose in the top 5 of any singular stat? When's the last time the award went to somebody like that? Though it is no laughable for Rose to win the MVP, he is by no means a runaway candidate. Really though, in the NBA, the MVP usually goes to the best player on the team with the most wins in a conference....so I can see why he probably will win. Great player...yes. MVP....maybe or no.

And though Rose is playing under the shadow of Jordan, nobody gives him Jordan expectations. In comparison to Lebron, he really is under no pressure. The Bulls were, at the beginning of the year, expected to be in the 3-6 spot in the East. It's been kind of a shocker year for them, especially being currently #1 in the East.

Really? just a little?

woodchuck said:
jesus christ. people still spout this nonsense.
I wouldn't doubt that NBA fans have the lowest average IQ of any of the NA sports. The amount of player defending and bashing without any rationality is just ridiculous.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Dirk Nowitzki

Regular Season
23PPG, 8.4RPG, 47.6FG%, 38 3PT%, 87.7FT%, 984 games

Playoffs
25.6PPG, 10.9RPG, 45.9FG%, 37.2 3PT%, 88.2FT%, 103 games

In other words, people are dumb.

F@mous

Banned
Dirk's been in the playoffs too many times not to have any memorable stand out performances. He doesn't elevate his play in the playoffs. He's by no means awful and will give a a solid 20-25 per night, but he won't dominate too many if any games in the playoffs.

J2 Cool

woodchuck said:
jesus christ. people still spout this nonsense.

You don't get knocked out of the first round as a #1 seed and lose Finals series when you're up 2-0, if you're a playoff ace. I really don't care about the stats, Dirk's not beating the Lakers in a series.

SamuraiX-

F@mous said:
Dirk's been in the playoffs too many times not to have any memorable stand out performances. He doesn't elevate his play in the playoffs. He's by no means awful and will give a a solid 20-25 per night, but he won't dominate too many if any games in the playoffs.

...Did you start watching basketball yesterday or something?

Oh, wait. Don't answer that. You're a Heat fan. Of course you did.

Jeff-DSA

F@mous said:

Consistency into the playoffs is admirable. Many players wilt under the pressure of the playoffs *cough* Boozer *cough* Carmelo-era Nuggets *cough* and it can cost their teams a title run.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
F@mous said:
Just to make sure you're not blind...

reilo said:
Dirk Nowitzki

Regular Season
23PPG, 8.4RPG, 47.6FG%, 38 3PT%, 87.7FT%, 984 games

Playoffs
25.6PPG, 10.9RPG, 45.9FG%, 37.2 3PT%, 88.2FT%, 103 games

In other words, people are dumb.

J2 Cool

Jeff-DSA said:
Consistency into the playoffs is admirable. Many players wilt under the pressure of the playoffs *cough* Boozer *cough* Carmelo-era Nuggets *cough* and it can cost their teams a title run.

But Boozer's 20/12.5/3 on 50fg% in the playoffs. He only scores more, rebounds better...

I'll be the counter-point:

T-Mac's regular season PER compared to postseason PER

2000: 20.0-15.3
2001: 24.9-26.8
2002: 25.1-25.6
2003: 30.3-27.0 (Note that this playoff series he scored 43 PPG in the first few games and played against the best D in the league)
2005: 22.9-27.2
2007: 23.2-21.2
2008: 18.4-24.4

So outside of his first time in the playoffs, T-Mac usually had similar or better stats than in the regular season.

F@mous

Banned
Dirk's 23.0 PPG regular season are skewed by his first 5 years in the league. He's basically the same in the playoffs as in the regular season. Saying that, he's a great player, future hall of famer. But he's not a winner.

The Stealth Fox said:
T-Mac played really hard in the playoffs. It's unfortunate that Rafer Alston was his teammate.

He played really hard but he just wasn't versatile enough to win. This coming from a huge T-Mac fan. I think they were up 2-1 against the Mavs one year and let it slip...I believe in a 5 game series. Same thing happened when he was in Orlando and let that 3-1 series against the Pistons slip.

J2 Cool

thekad said:
That's skewed by the Rockets series.

He had a series with the Rockets where he put up only one game of 20 flat, otherwise was in the teens the rest of the series. The other Rockets series he dominated in.

You can't play the exceptions game. If we're judging Dirk on stats, you could do the same for Boozer. Or if you want to talk exceptions, he just matches up bad against the Lakers size.

Either way, it doesn't matter in Dirk's case or Boozer's, unless they have playoff success. Dirk's most memorable moments are playoff disasters. (Miami and the Warriors)

thekad

Banned
I was just joking about Boozer. He gets a bad rap, but he isn't a choker like Malone.

F@mous said:
He played really hard but he just wasn't versatile enough to win. This coming from a huge T-Mac fan. I think they were up 2-1 against the Mavs one year and let it slip...I believe in a 5 game series. Same thing happened when he was in Orlando and let that 3-1 series against the Pistons slip.

smh

Phreak47

Jeff-DSA said:
He just shoots better, scores more, and rebounds more. What's your point?!

Everyone knows it's Cuban's fault that Dirk doesn't have a ring yet.

I hope you have enjoyed my above entry into this wonderful world of pseudo-logic.

F@mous said:

IIRC he is one of only four or five players in the history of the game to average 25 points and 10 boards in their playoff career. To say the guy is not a playoff performer is just fucking dumb. He has no rings, but hey, he hasn't had a great cast of players around him either. And the guys he has had around him tend to disappear come playoff time.

No memorable performances is a stretch. I still remember plenty of games where he tore up the Kings, the entire series he had against KG when he was in Minnesota when he just shat all over the TWolves, the 50 he dropped on the Suns in 2006, the and 1 in game 7 against the Spurs in that same year, among others.

But hey, he doesn't have a ring so he must suck in the playoffs. Fans are stupid.

stats dont really matter. after all, the only players to average more than 25/10 in the playoffs are elgin baylor, the dream, dirk, and bob pettit. all of whom absolutely suck.

edit: bumblebeetuna beat me to it.

seriously though, that finals team was one of the worst.

pg: jet lol
sg: adrian griffin
sf: howard
pf: dirk
c: desagana diop ftw

thekad

Banned
Looking at clutch stats, Mo Williams is surprisingly, and without a doubt, really good this year. Of course, he hasn't had as many opportunities. And Rose is a lot less clutch than I gave him credit for.

F@mous

Banned
Bumblebeetuna said:
IIRC he is one of only four or five players in the history of the game to average 25 points and 10 boards in their playoff career. To say the guy is not a playoff performer is just fucking dumb. He has no rings, but hey, he hasn't had a great cast of players around him either. And the guys he has had around him tend to disappear come playoff time.

No memorable performances is a stretch. I still remember plenty of games where he tore up the Kings, the entire series he had against KG when he was in Minnesota when he just shat all over the TWolves, the 50 he dropped on the Suns in 2006, the and 1 in game 7 against the Spurs in that same year, among others.

But hey, he doesn't have a ring so he must suck in the playoffs. Fans are stupid.

That's stupid.

F@mous said:
That's stupid.

Darrell Armstrong
Erick Dampier
Marquis Daniels
DeSagana Diop
Adrian Griffin
Devin Harris
Josh Howard
Didier Ilunga-Mbenga
Rawle Marshall