• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Mar |OT| Now listening to the Stan Van Gundy mixtape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff-DSA

reilo said:
That's certainly one way to say "we are tanking". I remember when Portland blew it up after the Sheed days, they called it a "youth movement".

It's the worst draft ever to tank for, but not having a disaster with Al getting a late season injury might be worth limiting his minutes. He was BEASTING recently but all of sudden it looks like they switched him off in the last handful of games.

friskykillface said:
hmmmmmmm if the Celtics keep playing like shit, it wouldnt surprise me if they got the 4th seed :/ smh

At least stay at two.

I still believe they will pull it together come playoff time. They are still the most complete team in the east.

Jeff-DSA said:
Is this online?

http://1320kfan.com/index.php/audio/listen/locked_on_jazz_podcast_kevin_oconnor

Little paraphrased:

Locke: "How do you pick between a great player that plays 60 games a year and a good player who plays 82 games a year?"

KO'C: "You can't be great if you miss 20 games a year, go with the 82 game player"

I wonder why he traded for Harris then...I like Harris, but he directly goes against what KO'C says in this interview.

Locke: "We're you surprised that your moves caused the Jazz's defense to suck this season?"

KO'C: "It didn't suck for the first half of the year!"

Locke: "Okay, but why do you think it sucks now?"

KO'C: "No idea, quit asking."

I may be going too far with the connection to Bell with this question though but Bell was the only player brought in this offseason who was considered a good defender.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
I wonder why he traded for Harris then...I like Harris, but he directly goes against what he says in this interview.
Not only that, but Harris as of late has been a mediocre player that plays 60 games a year.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Damn, this has been a great week to be a Lakers fan.

Higher seeded teams falling, Kobe beasting, Celtics shitting it up... Fucking love it.

I cannot believe we are only 3.5 games behind SA though. I didn't even think that was feasible a week ago. Plus, looking at their remaining schedule they could very realistically drop 4+ more games(I highly doubt it though).

Lakers have 3 more back to backs to go as well....

Lil T-Money1227 said:
I still believe they will pull it together come playoff time. They are still the most complete team in the east.

Their mojo has definitely changed since the Perkins trade though, and that's part of what makes them as good as they are. Everybody's saying Rondo's best buddy was Perk and now he's gone which is supposed to explain why Rondo's playing like shit...I say that's all overstated though.

He will be fine and he will give a shit again when the playoffs come. His eyes are especially going to light the fuck up when he sees Mike Bibby attempting to defend him.

Branduil

Forceatowulf said:

Higher seeded teams falling, Kobe beasting, Celtics shitting it up... Fucking love it.

I cannot believe we are only 3.5 games behind SA though. I didn't even think that was feasible a week ago. Plus, looking at their remaining schedule they could very realistically drop 4+ more games(I highly doubt it though).

I like how Lakers fans always act like there's ever been a bad time to be a Lakers fan.

Forceatowulf said:

We told everyone Lakers just had a extended training camp..Kobe with 107pts last 3(helping me in my fantasy league). Bynum starting to wake up with agressive plays

Gabyskra

Banned
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
http://1320kfan.com/index.php/audio/listen/locked_on_jazz_podcast_kevin_oconnor

Little paraphrased:

Locke: "How do pick between a great player that plays 60 games a year and a good player who plays 82 games a year?"

KO'C: "You can't be great if you miss 20 games a year, go with the 82 game player"

I wonder why he traded for Harris then...I like Harris, but he directly goes against what he says in this interview.

I'll take '98 Scottie Pippen.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
lol KO'C was killing Boozer and AK in that interview he did with Locke, got pissy when Locke basically asked him about Raja Bell.

Is David Locke doing the Jazz now? lol!

reilo

doug-collins-text-2.jpg

http://blogs.thescore.com/tbj/2011/03/29/texts-from-doug-collins/

Spencer Hawes had me rolling.

etiolate

Banned
"That letter is completely wrong, and it was uncalled for -- below the belt -- and it's a shame it had to come out of his office," Maloof told the Register. "We tried to be classy and not get in arguments in the media, but I [have to] make this comment. We will continue on with our business and do what is best for the viability of the franchise -- what's best for the franchise and what's best for the league."

The letter also asks Anaheim not to authorize $75 million in bonds to aid the move. The Anaheim city council is expected to vote on a financial plan to entice an NBA team to move to the city-owned Honda Center in a special meeting Tuesday night.

"It's not for the mayor or anybody to interfere with our business," Maloof told the Register. "That's what I think they're doing, and it's not right. We would appreciate that they not interfere with our business."

Maloof didn't return phone and text messages from The Associated Press late Monday night.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=6269005

Pkaz01

Stan Van going fuck the world mode...

"With Miami at the beginning of the year and New York since the trade, it's like, because so many people are interested in what happens with LeBron (James), (Dwyane) Wade and (Chris) Bosh and now with Carmelo (Anthony), Amar'e (Stoudemire) and Chauncey (Billups) you guys think our overwhelming (concern) is 'what's happening with Miami and New York?' Quite honestly, we don't give a damn," Van Gundy said. "We don't. I don't care. We're just getting ready to play them."

"It's not all Miami and New York," Van Gundy said. "I know to ESPN it is, but to the rest of us, we actually think some of the rest of the teams matter."

"This is the system David Stern and his minions like it. So that's the system you have ... I certainly can't have an opinion because David Stern, like a lot of leaders we've seen in this world lately, don't really tolerate other people's opinion or free speech or anything. So I'm not really allowed to have an opinion. So it's up to him. He decides and he likes the system he has."

reilo

"This is the system David Stern and his minions like it. So that's the system you have ... I certainly can't have an opinion because David Stern, like a lot of leaders we've seen in this world lately, don't really tolerate other people's opinion or free speech or anything. So I'm not really allowed to have an opinion. So it's up to him. He decides and he likes the system he has."
stanvangundyismissinghisfamily.com

reilo

David Locke? The same idiot that was told a fake story about Bayless and then passed it off as fact?

David Locke said:
"You can play badly and the team plays well. You can play badly and the team plays badly. The only two that matter, Jerryd, are when the team is playing well.'

"And Bayless looks at him and says, 'Coach I don't understand how I can play well and the team doesn't play well.'"
Jerryd Bayless said:
I just got an email saying the Utah reporter was saying some things about me?? It's all good though. Everyone can have there own opinion of me.

Even though I don't remember that happening
http://www.blazersedge.com/2010/9/2...-play-by-play-broadcaster-rips-jerryd-bayless

Jazz play-by-play guys making up stories of opposing players demanding trades or playing time (Which is like every single game) is easily the least terrible part of them. Harpring has to have brain damage. Hearing Boone the last few games has been amazing and I thought was pretty average pre-Harpring/Locke

Mike D'Antoni's decision not to hold game-day shootarounds isn't about rest or X's and O's. Instead, it comes down to rush hour traffic.

"New York's a little bit different than other places," D'Antoni said Monday. "I just don't know if Amar'e being in a car for two hours in the morning of a game is the way to go. If we can get a shootaround the day before, if we can get our work done, then I don't think that's the way to go. If we can't get our work done then yeah, we'll do this."

Monday, the Knicks held their first home morning shootaround, which is standard operating procedure for most teams. D'Antoni does conduct game-day shootarounds on the road but has passed on holding them for home games. It's a questionable decision since the Knicks went 18-23 at home last year and were 19-17 entering Monday night's game against Orlando.

One of the reasons D'Antoni gave last season for not holding home shootarounds was because he didn't feel it was right for Al Harrington to have to make the morning drive from New Jersey to Westchester. He is using that same logic for Stoudemire, which begs the obvious question, why not hold the shootaround at the Garden?

Donnie Walsh suggested that getting the team out of bed for an early game-day workout isn't such a bad thing. "When you're losing a lot you change something," Walsh said. "We'll see if the change helps us."
Man fuck you Al Harrington. D'Antoni you're still a moron.

Jared Jeffries over Earl Barron... son of a bitch.

Pkaz01

Gabyskra said:
Stan Van Gundy said that a couple of weeks ago... Old news.
It says in the article that he said it before yesterdays game..

edit - nevermind you are right the said the stern part on march 8 the shots at espn are still new.

reilo

Pkaz01 said:
Yeah, he obviously didn't take Stern seriously when he said "we won't be hearing from Van Gundy in a while."

Gabyskra

Banned
Pkaz01 said:

edit - nevermind you are right the said the stern part on march 8 the shots at espn are still new.

Yeah, that's right... He said before the game that they don't care about MIA ou NYK. But the part about Stern being a dictator, etc, that's old.

Pkaz01 said:

The thing about not giving a damn about the Bricks was yesterday. The Stern is a dictator comment was after Dwight missed the Portland game a few weeks ago.

I appreciate that SVG is saying what needs to be said...but holy shit the Magic are going to get Cubaned so bad in the playoffs.

Pkaz01

reilo said:
Yeah, he obviously didn't take Stern seriously when he said "we won't be hearing from Van Gundy in a while."
I don't think anything can stop us from hearing a van gundy for a while. They'll both find a way to say something.

reilo

Red Blaster said:
but holy shit the Magic are going to get Cubaned so bad in the playoffs.
Don't worry, Vince last season and Arenas this season won't require any Stern intervention on that front.

reilo

Red Blaster said:
Gilbert's gonna give Dwight two fouls 3 minutes into the 1st quarter?
No, he's just gonna make sure to chuck a contested 28 foot three-pointer instead of passing to a wide open Dwight Howard under the basket. Different tactic, same result!

linsivvi

Branduil said:
I like how Lakers fans always act like there's ever been a bad time to be a Lakers fan.

Try having Karl Malone in your team. That's almost as bad as Paul Pierce wearing a Lakers jersey.

Almost.

linsivvi

Red Blaster said:
The thing about not giving a damn about the Bricks was yesterday. The Stern is a dictator comment was after Dwight missed the Portland game a few weeks ago.

I appreciate that SVG is saying what needs to be said...but holy shit the Magic are going to get Cubaned so bad in the playoffs.

How quickly he has forgotten the lesson that his brother learned.

The ironic thing is that Cuban was on the opposing side when it happened to JVG.

ph33nix said:
Is Jeff Van Gundy allowed to fire shots at Stern on air and get away with it?

Why not? Stern doesn't have power over the media, at all. But if JVG is smart he wouldn't say much unless he plans to never coach again.

The Frankman said:
JVG will wait until he's coach of the Knicks.

Fixed.

And he'll do it through his assistant, Mark Jackson. Mark will take the heat; JVG will simply forge an iron defense and pretend nothing happened while sipping his Diet Coke.

ph33nix said:
Their mojo has definitely changed since the Perkins trade though, and that's part of what makes them as good as they are. Everybody's saying Rondo's best buddy was Perk and now he's gone which is supposed to explain why Rondo's playing like shit...I say that's all overstated though.

He will be fine and he will give a shit again when the playoffs come. His eyes are especially going to light the fuck up when he sees Mike Bibby attempting to defend him.

I'm thinking that their issues are overstated again, but not having homecourt didn't work out in their favor last year, and there were other circumstances (health) that made that regular season tank mode necessary.

Besides the trade, KG/Allen/Pierce are all healthy, right? This really could be it.

And Shaq has to come back at some point, right?

Stan Van Gundy vs David Stern.....

Goodbye Stan, we knew thee well....

Ant vs Shoe.

Gilbert's gonna give Dwight two fouls 3 minutes into the 1st quarter?

I'm curious, how far do you expect your squad to get this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom