• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012-13 Nov NBA Season |OT2| Westbrook demands a trade to Grinnell College

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
And what happens if overwork causing an injury to his aging trio?

Mike Brown damn near tried to kill Pau Gasol last year with his fucking overwork.

I applaud Pop for knowing his guys and looking at the big picture (all while fucking Stern on a nationally televised game)

That's what this shit is about.

If he sat them during that Magic game, not a single fuck would have been given.
This shit is about making money, not winning basketball games. Hell, the only reason people win basketball games, is so they can get to the playoffs, and make money off of a few more games. Pop is there to make money, and now he's fucking up other people's money. If you told Pop that he could coach anyway he wants to, but it may result in a small paycut, he wouldn't do it anymore. Pissing off fans (even if it's just a few) may mean less money (even if it's just a little less money). This shit is capitalism, and you've got to make as much as you can.

I don't like it, but it's the truth. It's how these systems work, why these players get paid big money, and why we're even able to watch games on national TV. Back in the old days, when coaches could "coach", games weren't even broadcasted live. The only way they got games on broadcast TV was by turning them into entertainment.

And let me be clear, I think fans should be offered a refund at the door, before the game. If they still choose to sit for the game, then they get no refund.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Dunno how the league could make a player play in a game. It's near impossible. Even if they put on a warm up, Stern can't say you have to play to play everyone in a warm up. Rose sat on the bench with warm ups on but had a torn ACL.

Steve Trash and Grant Hill missed a lot of games last season to get rest. They weren't hurt.
If they're healthy, then they should play. You're getting paid millions. If you can't take the grind anymore, then retire. These types of excuses wouldn't fly in a fucking McDonald's.

This shit is about making money, not winning basketball games. Hell, the only reason people win basketball games, is so they can get to the playoffs, and make money off of a few more games. Pop is there to make money, and now he's fucking up other people's money. If you told Pop that he could coach anyway he wants to, but it may result in a small paycut, he wouldn't do it anymore. Pissing off fans (even if it's just a few) may mean less money (even if it's just a little less money). This shit is capitalism, and you've got to make as much as you can.

I don't like it, but it's the truth. It's how these systems work, why these players get paid big money, and why we're even able to watch games on national TV. Back in the old days, when coaches could "coach", games weren't even broadcasted live.

And let me be clear, I think fans should be offered a refund at the door, before the game. If they still choose to sit for the game, then they get no refund.

Fuck that.

So if Pop flew the team out, had the starters on the court for the jump, immediately called timeout and sent them to the showers, is that cool?

I mean, the fans saw them play, right?

This shit isn't about money to a coach like Pop. It's about WINNING. Period.

A thought of anything less is disrespect of him and the game he loves.

And what happens if overwork causing an injury to his aging trio?

Mike Brown damn near tried to kill Pau Gasol last year with his fucking overwork.

I applaud Pop for knowing his guys and looking at the big picture (all while fucking Stern on a nationally televised game)

That's what this shit is about.

If he sat them during that Magic game, not a single fuck would have been given.

Pop knew the schedule, he knew how many games in how many nights they had. If he was that concerned, he could have staggered their minutes, or rested one guy one night and another guy the next. Sending his 3 best players home during a national TV game against the defending champs is not just strategic resting. You guys are naive as hell if you believe. that. He was trying to send a message to the league and to Stern. Pop being Pop. And that's fine. My issue is that he dicks over the paying fans by doing it, and I take offense to this notion that fans should just be happy with what they get or don't matter, because they are literally the reason anyone gives a fuck who Pop is or what he does. I don't even care about Stern. To be honest I don't even care what Stern does or doesn't do to the Spurs. My only issue is that Popovich himself couldn't have some consideration for the fans in this scenario. I would hope that he would take a second to think about it from that angle before doing what he did.

Fuck that.

So if Pop flew the team out, had the starters on the court for the jump, immediately called timeout and sent them to the showers, is that cool?

Go coach small town high school ball then. He collects a check every year with a fuckload of zeroes on it that is essentially paid for by the fans. They should be taken into account.

If they're healthy, then they should play. Old and tired can kiss an ass. You're getting paid millions. If you can't take the grind anymore, then retire. These types of excuses wouldn't fly in a fucking McDonald's.

Over work is why Rose fucked his shit up on a bad plant in the playoffs.

This stuff builds up over time, bro.

I would trust Pop over Stern's temper tantrum...

aznpxdd

Its tough, kinda agree with both sides to a point.

But its not like Pop chose this game out of the blue. Yes, they've had a tough schedule, and they are old. But Pop chose this game because its on TNT, vs the Heat...for a big F U to Stern.

I don't like it, but it's the truth. It's how these systems work, why these players get paid big money, and why we're even able to watch games on national TV. Back in the old days, when coaches could "coach", games weren't even broadcasted live. The only way they got games on broadcast TV was by turning them into entertainment.

You could argue owners resting older stars is them just protecting their investments/business. If Manu/Td go down and force SA out of the playoffs, The Spurs owner missing out on cash, and if no rest was allowed then you could shorten players' career and take food off their plates.

It's almost stern putting his interests above the owners and even players. It's really not his decision to make.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Fuck that.

You don't think this is about money to Pop? Are you kidding? If Pop's salary got cut to $50K, and he was offered a desk job somewhere else for $70K, he would spit in the face of basketball and be gone.

I bet some of you also think Brandon Roy tried to make a comeback for the love of the game, lol.

Pop knew the schedule, he knew how many games in how many nights they had. If he was that concerned, he could have staggered their minutes, or rested one guy one night and another guy the next. Sending his 3 best players home during a national TV game against the defending champs is not just strategic resting. You guys are naive as hell if you believe. that. He was trying to send a message to the league and to Stern. Pop being Pop. And that's fine. My issue is that he dicks over the paying fans by doing it, and I take offense to this notion that fans should just be happy with what they get or don't matter, because they are literally the reason anyone gives a fuck who Pop is or what he does. I don't even care about Stern. To be honest I don't even care what Stern does or doesn't do to the Spurs. My only issue is that Popovich himself couldn't have some consideration for the fans in this scenario. I would hope that he would take a second to think about it from that angle before doing what he did.

I know that Pop was gaming Stern, hence my comment about the Magic game.

My point is, Stern threatening sanctions is silly shit.

Pop, to my knowledge, didn't break any rules on the books--especially if teams regularly do that kinda shit in the final weeks, going into the playoffs. "Bu-bu-but I paid $1000 to see the Heat play the Raptors...what do you mean LeBron, Wade and Bosh aren't suiting up?"

Not a single threat of a sanction would happen.

Stern is just pulling shit out his ass.

You could argue owners resting older stars is them just protecting their investments/business. If Manu/Td go down and force SA out of the playoffs, The Spurs owner missing out on cash, and if no rest was allowed then you could shorten players' career and take food off their plates.

It's almost stern putting his interests above the owners and even players. It's really not his decision to make.

Stern works FOR the owners. If he fines Pop it will be at the blessing of Pop's own owner. His job is to look out for the best interest of the owners. Having the available star players play sells tickets, which is in the best interest of the players. If people now are hesitant to buy tickets for Spurs road games, this is an issue for Stern and his employers (again, the owners). Pop might not care (though he should) but plenty of people have a reason to.

SoulPlaya

more money than God

The owners benefit from networks like TNT broadcasting their games. They would whoop the Spurs' owners asses if he fucked that up for them. The playoffs don't mean shit if they're not on major networks being broadcasted for top dollar fees.

Stern works FOR the owners. If he fines Pop it will be at the blessing of Pop's own owner. His job is to look out for the best interest of the owners. Having the available star players play sells tickets, which is in the best interest of the players. If people now are hesitant to buy tickets for Spurs road games, this is an issue for Stern and his employers (again, the owners). Pop might not care (though he should) but plenty of people have a reason to.

The owners benefit from networks like TNT broadcasting their games. They would whoop the Spurs' owners asses if he fucked that up for them. The playoffs don't mean shit if they're not on major networks being broadcasted for top dollar fees.

Giving Stern that kind of power is too slippery a slope. TNT will still cover games, fans will still buy tickets, let's not get crazy.

Pop resting his old ass players against an elite team is classic mindfuck Pop. I guarantee the casual fan gives no fucks. This whole thing probably blows over if Stern just kept his yap shut.

SamuraiX-

I love how people continue to conveniently ignore the fact that this was the second of a Spurs back-to-back, their 10th game in 17 days, and they play the Grizzlies on Saturday.

But yeah, Pop should totally be punished for doing his job.

Giving Stern that kind of power is too slippery a slope. TNT will still cover games, fans will still buy tickets, let's not get crazy.

Pop resting his old ass players against an elite team is classic mindfuck Pop. I guarantee the casual fan gives no fucks. This whole thing probably blows over if Stern just kept his yap shut.

Why should he keep his mouth shut? You want to talk about setting precedents? You don't think otherwise healthy players not playing when that is what they are getting paid to do is a terrible precedent? Ultimately, yes there is very little that Stern can do. He will probably fine Pop, but if Pop wanted to be a dick he could just have his guys fake injuries in the future. But I have no problem with Stern and the owners calling him out on it and looking out for their product and their consumers because it was a dick move on his part. Like I said, I don't really care about what Stern does or doesn't do, I would only hope that someone in Popovich's position, who is in that position not because of how great of a coach he is, but because people pay money to watch him, would have a little more consideration.

I love how people continue to conveniently ignore the fact that this was the second of a Spurs back-to-back, their 10th game in 17 days, and they play the Grizzlies on Saturday.

Professional basketball players being "forced" to play basketball. What an injustice.

Pop knew the schedule well before any fans did. He could have done plenty to ease their minutes without outright sitting guys, and I doubt all three of his best players conveniently needed a breather this badly on the exact same night. This was as much about Pop being an ornery old fuck as it was an actual strategic move.

What about all those 5pur5 fans in Miami?

THINK OF THE KIDS!

:(

PBY

Banned
Why should he keep his mouth shut? You want to talk about setting precedents? You don't think otherwise healthy players not playing when that is what they are getting paid to do is a terrible precedent? Ultimately, yes there is very little that Stern can do. He will probably fine Pop, but if Pop wanted to be a dick he could just have his guys fake injuries in the future. But I have no problem with Stern and the owners calling him out on it and looking out for their product and their consumers because it was a dick move on his part. Like I said, I don't really care about what Stern does or doesn't do, I would only hope that someone in Popovich's position, who is in that position not because of how great of a coach he is, but because people pay money to watch him, would have a little more consideration.

Professional basketball players being "forced" to play basketball. What an injustice.

Pop knew the schedule well before any fans did. He could have done plenty to ease their minutes without outright sitting guys, and I doubt all three of his best players conveniently needed a breather this badly on the exact same night. This was as much about Pop being an ornery old fuck as it was an actual strategic move.
The bottom line is this: what is Pop's job to you, to win or to put out a good entertainment product? I fucking love Pop because he completely eschews all the ESPN/Skip Bayless- ish noise bullshit, and just does what actually matters. Its a regular season game. Its meaningless. Health, rest>>>one win.

The bottom line is this: what is Pop's job to you, to win or to put out a good entertainment product? I fucking love Pop because he completely eschews all the ESPN/Skip Bayless- ish noise bullshit, and just does what actually matters. Its a regular season game. Its meaningless. Health, rest>>>one win.

Putting out a good, entertaining product is why it matters if Pop wins or loses. It does come first. If people didn't give a fuck about the NBA it wouldn't matter how great of a coach Pop was, and the reason people give a fuck about the NBA, moreso than maybe ANY other sport, is because of individual players. The league was going to shit in the 70s. Magic and Bird brought it back to life. If Pop doesn't want to deal with the entertaining product part, he should find another line of work. I'd love to see him go somewhere and make $5-10 million a year just because he's good at strategy and mind games and not because people pay millions to watch the product. Bottom line is that this stuff SHOULD matter to Pop.

etiolate

Banned
Congrats on the lols to anyone helping whip up the faux-outrage over Pop's decision. Doing it all for idiot-based greed on Stern and TNT's part.

I will dance a merry dance when Stern's business model blows the NBA up. It is NOT sustainable. It is the Wii business model of pro sports.

Why should he keep his mouth shut? You want to talk about setting precedents? You don't think otherwise healthy players not playing when that is what they are getting paid to do is a terrible precedent? Ultimately, yes there is very little that Stern can do. He will probably fine Pop, but if Pop wanted to be a dick he could just have his guys fake injuries in the future. But I have no problem with Stern and the owners calling him out on it and looking out for their product and their consumers because it was a dick move on his part. Like I said, I don't really care about what Stern does or doesn't do, I would only hope that someone in Popovich's position, who is in that position not because of how great of a coach he is, but because people pay money to watch him, would have a little more

No because by that logic Timmy and Manu should be on the court during 30 point blow outs.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Does any of this apply to what happened here? and I've already said, this isn't a sport anymore, it's entertainment. "Coaches fucking coaching" doesn't apply here anymore, and hasn't in a long time. Pop wants to get paid millions? Then, he's going to have to change some things.

Get paid by whom? The only person Pop has to answer to is the owner.

Pop is here to attempt to win rings, which in turn makes him money. You're confusing the means and the end.

No because by that logic Timmy and Manu should be on the court during 30 point blow outs.

Did Timmy and Manu contribute to creating that 30 point lead? Fans want to see the best play. That's what they pay money for. That's why NBA tickets are expensive. If you are going to play a D-league line up then charge D-league prices. If the fans see the Spurs with Timmy and Parker and Manu run up a 30 point lead on someone and then rest the last 1/4 of the game, they saw the best. If I, as a fan, paid primetime NBA money for a ticket and found out the 3 best players on one of the team were at home resting "just because", i'd be a little ticked off. And to be honest, I've never liked the idea of resting players, even at the end of the season. At least play guys a half or something. I've always looked at it from the point of view that that game could be the ONLY game some fans get a chance to go to.

Stern works for his owners. He represents the owners. If he is pissed, that means Pop's boss is pissed.

Did Timmy and Manu contribute to creating that 30 point lead? Fans want to see the best play. That's what they pay money for. That's why NBA tickets are expensive. If you are going to play a D-league line up then charge D-league prices. If the fans see the Spurs with Timmy and Parker and Manu run up a 30 point lead on someone and then rest the last 1/4 of the game, they saw the best. If I, as a fan, paid primetime NBA money for a ticket and found out the 3 best players on one of the team were at home resting "just because", i'd be a little ticked off.

Doesn't matter who ran up the score, Pop is going to rest the old guys whether they're on fire or ice cold. If you paid to see the Spurs and didn't see the starters at all, that sucks. You reasonablly expect them to suit up, but if they don't it's simply tough luck. Same if your team loses, a player gets hurt, ejected or so on.

reilo

Stern works for his owners. He represents the owners. If he is pissed, that means Pop's boss is pissed.

Bullshit. If the owner didn't give Pop autonomy on a decision like this, he would have told Pop to play those players directly and avoid the media controversy.

Seriously, think about what you just said. You just claimed that the owner is pissed about sitting out Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili versus the Heat on a TNT game and his only course of action is to have Stern take this head on? The owner that cuts his checks and ultimately decides if he is a coach for the Spurs?

Come the fuck on. Think about what you write.

linsivvi

Pop is here to attempt to win rings, which in turn makes him money. You're confusing the means and the end.

Yeah this. The Spurs paid their players. If they want to give somebody $10M a year and not play them, they have every right to do so.

Doesn't matter who ran up the score, Pop is going to rest the old guys whether they're on fire or ice cold. If you paid to see the Spurs and didn't see the starters at all, that sucks. You reasonablly expect them to suit up, but if they don't it's simply tough luck. Same if your team loses, a player gets hurt, ejected or so on.

But it's not the same as a player getting hurt or ejected, because those are out of the coach's control. What Pop did was completely under his control. The idea of "tough luck" for the fans, the people that make this sport go, is what I find detestable. Oh too bad Timmy gets paid to play 82 games and is perfectly healthy and in game shape but he's at home playing AD&D sorry you paid $200 for this ticket bro!

Bullshit. If the owner didn't give Pop autonomy on a decision like this, he would have told Pop to play those players directly and avoid the media controversy.

Seriously, think about what you just said. You just claimed that the owner is pissed about sitting out Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili versus the Heat on a TNT game and his only course of action is to have Stern take this head on? The owner that cuts his checks and ultimately decides if he is a coach for the Spurs?

Come the fuck on. Think about what you write.

Think about what I said? What I said is LITERALLY true. Stern represents the owners. His salary is paid by them. He is elected by them. He works for them. His job is to act in their, and ONLY their, best interest. If the Spurs owner, or any other owner, didn't want him to speak out against Pop they would have asked him to STFU by now as THEY PAY HIS SALARY. If Stern is saying this is embarrassing, and he represents the owners, what we can naturally infer from that is that the owners find this embarrassing. If the Spurs owner and Pop's boss doesn't feel this way, he should probably clarify this position and maybe get a new Commissioner. Since he has done neither I don't think it's a stretch to assume he's on the same page as the guy he pays to publicly represent him and look out for his interest.

linsivvi

What? If Pop's boss is pissed, he can fire Pop.

In fact, Stern is threatening to discipline Pop's boss.

"This was an unacceptable decision by the San Antonio Spurs and substantial sanctions will be forthcoming."

You've got the facts wrong.

Think about what I said? What I said is LITERALLY true. Stern represents the owners. His salary is paid by them. He is elected by them. He works for them. His job is to act in their, and ONLY their, best interest. If the Spurs owner, or any other owner, didn't want him to speak out against Pop they would have asked him to STFU by now as THEY PAY HIS SALARY.

That must be why Cuban was fined half a million dollar because OMG Stern works for him.

reilo

Think about what I said? What I said is LITERALLY true. Stern represents the owners. His salary is paid by them. He is elected by them. He works for them. His job is to act in their, and ONLY their, best interest. If the Spurs owner, or any other owner, didn't want him to speak out against Pop they would have asked him to STFU by now as THEY PAY HIS SALARY.

This is one of the most idiotic fucking thing I have ever seen argued. If the OWNER OF THE SPURS wanted THE COACH OF THE SPURS to play THE STAR PLAYERS OF THE SPURS, he would tell THE COACH OF THE SPURS directly.

No, no. Instead THE OWNER OF THE SPURS will go tell the COMMISSIONER OF THE NBA how to handle THE STAFF OF THE SPURS.

I can't believe you are arguing this.

PBY

Banned
Ninja, but where is this outrage coming from?

The slippery slope? Pops been doing this for years, and hes the only one- no one else is. I mean, the Heat could rotate out their big 3 for the whole season and be fine going into the playoffs as an 8 seed.

The fans? It was a Heat home game, and it was close. Heat fans got to see their team.

TV? It was a realllly close game, with a great ending.

Why are you upset?

What? If Pop's boss is pissed, he can fire Pop.

In fact, Stern is threatening to discipline Pop's boss.

"This was an unacceptable decision by the San Antonio Spurs and substantial sanctions will be forthcoming."

You've got the facts wrong.

That must be why Cuban was fined half a million dollar because OMG Stern works for him.

You seem to not have an understanding of what the Commissioner's job is. Yes, he does work for the owners.

Ninja, but where is this outrage coming from?

The slippery slope? Pops been doing this for years, and hes the only one- no one else is. I mean, the Heat could rotate out their big 3 for the whole season and be fine going into the playoffs as an 8 seed.

The fans? It was a Heat home game, and it was close. Heat fans got to see their team.

TV? It was a realllly close game, with a great ending.

Why are you upset?

It's not a slippery slope. LIke I said, I've always disliked teams sitting healthy players out, even on the last day of the season. I undestand why they do it then, and I understand why Pop did it tonight. I just think he should have set aside his mind games or "F-U to Stern". Like I said, I personally don't care if Stern fines or takes action against Pop. If he does nothing, that's fine. I don't know if the Spurs or Pop deserve to get fined. My only issue is when Pop doing this is sort of a slap in the face to fans that pay a lot of money to see the best of the best, and Duncan, Parker and Manu are in this category.

But it's not the same as a player getting hurt or ejected, because those are out of the coach's control. What Pop did was completely under his control. The idea of "tough luck" for the fans, the people that make this sport go, is what I find detestable. Oh too bad Timmy gets paid to play 82 games and is perfectly healthy and in game shape but he's at home playing AD&D sorry you paid $200 for this ticket bro!

Are we really acting like this is so out of the blue and crazy? Pop does this a couple times a year, but if you're even against resting prior to the playoffs then I don't think we'll ever see eye to eye on this.

This is one of the most idiotic fucking thing I have ever seen argued. If the OWNER OF THE SPURS wanted THE COACH OF THE SPURS to play THE STAR PLAYERS OF THE SPURS, he would tell THE COACH OF THE SPURS directly.

No, no. Instead THE OWNER OF THE SPURS will go tell the COMMISSIONER OF THE NBA how to handle THE STAFF OF THE SPURS.

I can't believe you are arguing this.

Correctamundo.

reilo

You seem to not have an understanding of what the Commissioner's job is. Yes, he does work for the owners.

ALL of the owners. I would buy the argument that the OTHER NBA owners are upset -- not the Spurs' owner. Ridiculous.

reilo

Yo reilo, I'm thinking of coming down to Port-town after New Year's some time.

When do the Blazers play the Knicks?

Would you be down to go?

They don't play the Knicks until March in Portland. Portland is on a 4-gamer out of town around New Years until January 7th.

Are we really acting like this is so out of the blue and crazy? Pop does this a couple times a year, but if you're even against resting prior to the playoffs then I don't think we'll ever see eye to eye on this.

I'm not against it in that I think teams should fined or that the league should try and legislate it. That would be stupid and impossible to enforce. I dislike it from a fan's perspective.

reilo

Oooo...I want those tix.

Are Knicks tickets a high commodity Portland?

Should I buy them way in advance?

Depends if the Knicks gonna Knicks. I'd wager no at this point. I would think they're fucking expensive though.

reilo

<checks StubHub>

Damn. Section 101 for $200, 3 rows back?

I love Portland pricing!

I'd get laughed outta Staples expecting prices like that there!

... seriously? I think that's way too much money for a game anywhere, especially Portland.

keuja

I'm not against it in that I think teams should fined or that the league should try and legislate it. That would be stupid and impossible to enforce. I dislike it from a fan's perspective.

From a fan perspective, I prefer seeing the best players kept healthy for deep playoff runs rather than injured because of fatigue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom