• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012-13 Nov NBA Season |OT2| Westbrook demands a trade to Grinnell College

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh, Knicks are still ahead of The Nets in standings.

Jay should have saved that post for when/if Nets are still in the playoffs and the Knicks are fishing.

'The city is under new management. This city deserve a better class of mediocrity, and The Nets are gonna give it to them tonight.'

Fox318

Jay should have saved that post for when/if Nets are still in the playoffs and the Knicks are fishing.

'The city is under new management. This city deserve a better class of mediocrity, and The Nets are gonna give it to them tonight.'

Maybe he thinks that the Bond villain of an owner will up his stake of 0.00066 ownership if he talks shit?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes

No, they're not. If the playoffs started today, the Nets would have the tie-breaker and the higher seed.

Completely forgot that last night's game was for the better record. Still, there have only been 13 games. 'The city is back under old management' is just waiting to happen.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Yesterday's loss tells me that Felton is still in need of a lot of guidance. He's a good player, but somehow, someone kept insisting he keep shooting. If he kept shooting, then Woodson was letting him.

But ultimately, it's Jason Kidd who seems to keep the offense flowing - more so than anyone else on the team. Without him, there was definitely quite a bit of confusion.

snack

Yesterday's loss tells me that Felton is still in need of a lot of guidance. He's a good player, but somehow, someone kept insisting he keep shooting. If he kept shooting, then Woodson was letting him.

But ultimately, it's Jason Kidd who seems to keep the offense flowing - more so than anyone else on the team. Without him, there was definitely quite a bit of confusion.
Felton is a Twinkie eating fool.

And I agree with you. Woodson probably gave him the green light to shoot that much in OT. Not sure why they didn't give the rock to Melo. Atleast that guy has had some success with finishing a game.

Last night was on:

- Felton's poor shooting (compounded with the inability to establish the offense). 3-19 shooting is devastating. Calling your own number all the time is more devastating, especially when you're not moving the ball around.

- Too many missed free throws. Knicks left 7 points out there w/FTs missed. A few of those, and maybe one or two more made shots from Felton and we take this game in regulation.

- Poor defense on penetration/getting caught on switches. Deron Williams shot almost as bad as Felton (6-17), but he was able to get dimes with simple pick and roll to Johnson/Wallace/Lopez. All shot poorly, but all had too many easy buckets at inopportune times for the Knicks.

- Too much stagnation on offense. When Carmelo got frustrated, he held the ball and ISOed (which was fine, since he was on last night). When other people got the ball, they thought they could do the same thing - Smith, Sheed and Felton being the big culprits - and the offense froze as a result. Stupid shots kept bailing the Nets' even more awful shooting out.

The Knicks SORELY MISSED having Kidd (for the offense/help D), Shump (for the perimeter D) and Amare (for the scoring/shooting/depth) last night. Hopefully we can split the season series in two weeks when they play again!

No need to panic, though. It was a tough loss to a good team...but we're a good team, too.

Vahagn

Last night was on:

- Felton's poor shooting (compounded with the inability to establish the offense). 3-19 shooting is devastating. Calling your own number all the time is more devastating, especially when you're not moving the ball around.

- Too many missed free throws. Knicks left 7 points out there w/FTs missed. A few of those, and maybe one or two more made shots from Felton and we take this game in regulation.

- Poor defense on penetration/getting caught on switches. Deron Williams shot almost as bad as Felton (6-17), but he was able to get dimes with simple pick and roll to Johnson/Wallace/Lopez. All shot poorly, but all had too many easy buckets at inopportune times for the Knicks.

- Too much stagnation on offense. When Carmelo got frustrated, he held the ball and ISOed (which was fine, since he was on last night). When other people got the ball, they thought they could do the same thing - Smith, Sheed and Felton being the big culprits - and the offense froze as a result. Stupid shots kept bailing the Nets' even more awful shooting out.

The Knicks SORELY MISSED having Kidd (for the offense/help D), Shump (for the perimeter D) and Amare (for the scoring/shooting/depth) last night. Hopefully we can split the season series in two weeks when they play again!

No need to panic, though. It was a tough loss to a good team...but we're a good team, too.

I just had to stop reading right there. So regulation ended in a tie, yet you need a "few more free throws" and a couple more made FG's from Felton to maybe take the game in regulation?

Am i missing something here?

I just had to stop reading right there. So regulation ended in a tie, yet you need a "few more free throws" and a couple more made FG's from Felton to maybe take the game in regulation?

Am i missing something here?

Ehh, doesn't matter. You win, I was wrong syntactically, but the point is that if the Knicks could've made even a little of what they missed, they could've won in regulation despite all of the other bad things the Knicks did that cost them the game that I put in my post.

Omega

Banned
all this over-analyzing isn't necessary.

A team is going nowhere when the star player settles for jumpshots when he can drive by most players or post them up.

Melo has had numerous opportunities throughout this season to either drive by bigger, slower defenders or to post up smaller, quicker defenders. What does he decide to do? dribble, dribble, shoot.

This team isn't doing shit and you guys should just come to accept it already. Our most important player (apparently) is a 40 year old point guard. Without him on the court our team plays like a fucking JV team..and I'm not even sure we're that good without him on the floor.

Hopefully Dwight gets more offense run through him tonight. Three straight games of less than 12 shot attempts. D'Antoni is cutting him out of the offense and if it continues to happen I don't see Dwight staying and playing for a coach who doesn't want him to be part of the offense.

Hopefully Dwight gets more offense run through him tonight. Three straight games of less than 12 shot attempts. D'Antoni is cutting him out of the offense and if it continues to happen I don't see Dwight staying and playing for a coach who doesn't want him to be part of the offense.

eh, Dwight got plenty of touches and they were looking for him, problem is he keeps turning the ball over in the post and most of those would be FGA if they weren't turnovers.

Vahagn

all this over-analyzing isn't necessary.

A team is going nowhere when the star player settles for jumpshots when he can drive by most players or post them up.

Melo has had numerous opportunities throughout this season to either drive by bigger, slower defenders or to post up smaller, quicker defenders. What does he decide to do? dribble, dribble, shoot.

This team isn't doing shit and you guys should just come to accept it already. Our most important player (apparently) is a 40 year old point guard. Without him on the court our team plays like a fucking JV team..and I'm not even sure we're that good without him on the floor.

Uh, Kobe and Jordan 96-98 live off jumpshots and have won multiple championships doing it. Even in their postups they usually result in a fadeaway jump shot.

This new advanced metric nonsense that has given people such short term memory loss is fascinating. That isn't to say that you should never drive past a player, but a star wing shooting mostly jumpshots can still be successful.

Oh yea, and obviously, Dirk says Hi!

Butler has been actually putting in really good stats on really good shooting percentages this year. Over .420 from 3 iirc.

All he needs is to up his rebounds a bit and he'll be living up to his contract.

Giving the clippers exactly what they need, spacing, shooting, and some decent D.

uh, last night's game fucked his numbers up. Before last night's game, here were his numbers.

9 points, 2 board, 1 assist, 1 TO per game on 43.5% shooting in 24 mpg. His 3 point shooting was good but his overall TS% was just 53% despite it because he can't make anything from 2. His offensive rating is 95. The team's defense is 12 point better with him on the bench. In fact, Barnes has played more than him the last 2-3 weeks and has closed out most of the games because VDN doesn't trust Caron's D. I've actually watched a bunch of their games.

He's literally giving the team nothing but a couple 3s a game. That's worth $8 million? The Knicks paid Novak much less for the same thing.

He's Caron Gomes with flashes of his former self. Don't let last night's game fool you.

Ehh, doesn't matter. You win, I was wrong syntactically, but the point is that if the Knicks could've made even a little of what they missed, they could've won in regulation despite all of the other bad things the Knicks did that cost them the game that I put in my post.
I'm not used to all this sensible talk outta Knicks-GAF captmcblack. I need you to start panicking.

Now panic! Now!

giri

uh, last night's game fucked his numbers up. Before last night's game, here were his numbers.

9 points, 2 board, 1 assist, 1 TO per game on 43.5% shooting in 24 mpg. His 3 point shooting was good but his overall TS% was just 53% despite it because he can't make anything from 2. His offensive rating is 95. The team's defense is 12 point better with him on the bench. In fact, Barnes has played more than him the last 2-3 weeks and has closed out most of the games because VDN doesn't trust Caron's D. I've actually watched a bunch of their games.

He's literally giving the team nothing but a couple 3s a game. That's worth $8 million? The Knicks paid Novak much less for the same thing.

He's Caron Gomes with flashes of his former self. Don't let last night's game fool you.

lol, ok.

Griffin's amount of offensive rebounds and shots at the rim per game has just collapsed this year, kind of weird. Down from a 10.7% OREB rate to 6.3%. From 7.2 shots at the rim per game to 4.8. Pretty giant drops.

giri

Griffin's amount of offensive rebounds and shots at the rim per game has just collapsed this year, kind of weird. Down from a 10.7% OREB rate to 6.3%. From 7.2 shots at the rim per game to 4.8. Pretty giant drops.

He has quite steadfastly been refusing to play physical in games after, what he perceives as, the ref's missing a foul on him.

He just starts pouting and playing away from the rim.

So Ersan Ilyasova finally had a good game. Should I pick him up, or was it a fluke?

Give it some time and see how he performs next game. Right now he's being relegated to bench duties, and with how poorly he's played so far this season, this game might have been an anomaly.

I feel sorry for you if you think they are losing for that scrub.

Hard to draft someone who can't really give you anything on offense other than in transition in the top 3, but he's hustling and working harder than I really expected him to.

12.4 ppg, 8.6 RPG, 3 APG, 3 BPG, 2.5 SPG, .62 from the field. He's making smart decisions but he's shooting only 55% from FT...which is frightening but it's early.

I'm kind of liking him but we'll see

charsace

He has quite steadfastly been refusing to play physical in games after, what he perceives as, the ref's missing a foul on him.

He just starts pouting and playing away from the rim.

Could it also be that teams are putting more effort into keeping him away from the basket? The dude gets beat up on a lot.

giri

Could it also be that teams are putting more effort into keeping him away from the basket? The dude gets beat up on a lot.

He plays power forward and is a physical player himself. Getting beat up is no excuse.

And i'm sure teams have always been trying to keep him away from the rim.

The only upside is that his jumper really is better this year, he's hitting it at around 44%.

But thats also the downside. Most of those shots he's no longer taking at the rim? He's taking in the 16 - 23ft category. At the rim, he makes about .61

He's also attempting less FT's because of it.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Maybe Griffin isn't fully healed from his injury this summer. He looks a bit slow out there to my eyes.

That's quite worrisome considering it was a minor meniscus tear iirc. As long as he has most of his meniscus left, he should be ok. Although, the injury always could be worse than they let on.

http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/powerrankings

Hollinger's power rankings are out!

Knicks > Heat. Pop bottles!

That can't be up to date. The Clippers have lost 4 in a row and are still #5? They have the talent to be that high, but not the coaching (as Chris Paul not-so-subtly hinted at after the Hornets game).

Edit: Never mind, I forgot his power rankings are based on a weird formula that never seems to be that accurate.

Raptors' MOV is pretty decent because they lose games close whereas the Bobcats' is pretty bad because of that blowout yesterday.

Bobcats also with 2nd easiest schedule in the league.

Toronto being above Dallas is funny but it seems solely to be based on Dallas' really weak schedule, too.

It's early.

pilonv1

Give it some time and see how he performs next game. Right now he's being relegated to bench duties, and with how poorly he's played so far this season, this game might have been an anomaly.

They have half a dozen forwards who could play on any given night too. Lack of guaranteed minutes is a killer for me.

Omega

Banned
Uh, Kobe and Jordan 96-98 live off jumpshots and have won multiple championships doing it. Even in their postups they usually result in a fadeaway jump shot.

This new advanced metric nonsense that has given people such short term memory loss is fascinating. That isn't to say that you should never drive past a player, but a star wing shooting mostly jumpshots can still be successful.

Oh yea, and obviously, Dirk says Hi!

1. Kobe and Jordan got to the spots on the floor they wanted to. Well..Kobe didn't care where he was, he was gonna chuck up from anywhere..

2. Dirk says hi? The Dirk that didn't do shit in his entire career and settled for jump shots for the first 8 years of his career until he developed a post game and took the shots he wanted?

Yeah let's compare them to Melo, a guy who will take a 20 foot jumper he's not comfortable with because Glen Davis or some other bum is guarding him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom