• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Apr |OT| Presented By Unicef and Feed The Children, Fuk Yo Hunger Clown.

Ummm, did anyone see this?

Larry Johnson's coming back to the Knicks.

The Knicks announced on Sunday morning that they've hired Johnson as a business and basketball operations representative.

Johnson will assist with player development, marketing and community relations.

He said he first approached owner and Garden executive James Dolan with the idea three or four weeks ago.

This is his first official position with an NBA team. He said he hopes to eventually work in an NBA front office.

Johnson said he hopes to work with the Knicks' post players, Amare Stoudemire in particular. Johnson dealt with back issues in his career that ultimately forced him into retirement. He'd like to talk to Stoudemire, who is out 2-4 weeks with a bulging disk in his lower back, and provide some perspective on how to play through the injury.

Johnson is perhaps best known for converting a four-point play with :05.7 remaining en route to a 92-91 victory over the Indiana Pacers in Game 3 of the Eastern Conference Finals at Madison Square Garden on Jun. 5, 1999.

In five seasons with New York, Johnson, a four-time Knicks captain, averaged 12.3 points and 5.5 rebounds over 330 games from 1996 through 2001.

Check the blog after the game for more on Johnson's work with Stoudemire after the game.

dabig2

Well, for a point, he wasn't doing that much in the second(especially compared to the first) and I thought his legs were shot(just like everyone else's) towards the end but maybe adrenaline took over.

I don't agree with a double on Carmelo, I think they should have just let him beat his man and hope there was a contest on a two pointer.

Melo's play opossum, then put up a quick bomb doesn't fool anyone.....except I guess the Bulls.

Deng should've been all up in Melo's grill as soon as he was spotting up on that wing. Everyone in the building knew he was going to shoot it there and then. Deng should've made him drive in by not giving him space and then the Bulls could've collapsed and forced one of the other guys to make a shot.

Thibs also should've called a TO after Rose got pushed down there and reset. What a dumb sequence.

Deng should've been all up in Melo's grill as soon as he was spotting up on that wing. Everyone in the building knew he was going to shoot it there and then. Deng should've made him drive in by not giving him space and then the Bulls could've collapsed and forced one of the other guys to make a shot.

Thibs also should've called a TO after Rose got pushed down there and reset. What a dumb sequence.

Yeah, the idiot commetator(s) said it was good defense but you can't give a guy like that any space or he could make you pay.

Deng(and Taj Gibson) played good regular-part-of-the-game defense there but in that situation, it was flawed.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Two busts on the Bobcats from one draft. Everything is possible.

Biyombo a bust? lololololol

Shump isn't even the 2nd best rookie in his own conference. He shoots almost as bad as Kemba too.

Doug Collins won't get fired.

He might get Guile'd tho.

He's old enough for it to work too.

He's lost the locker room. At least the younger players are tired of his shit. but at the same time, this team's talent is too similar and yet it's not good either.

Thad Young is the best player on the team ,IMO. At least he's the most consistent it seems.

But who am I kidding...the Bucks or Knicks will choke due to having an actuall tough schedule down the stretch and we will get bodied by the Heat or Bulls and do it again next year.

Doug Collins won't get fired.

He might get Guile'd tho.

He's old enough for it to work too.

He's lost the locker room. At least the younger players are tired of his shit. but at the same time, this team's talent is too similar and yet it's not good either.

Thad Young is the best player on the team ,IMO. At least he's the most consistent it seems.

But who am I kidding...the Bucks or Knicks will choke due to having an actuall tough schedule down the stretch and we will get bodied by the Heat or Bulls and do it again next year.

why would you want to tank so late?

Shump isn't even the 2nd best rookie in his own conference. He shoots almost as bad as Kemba too.
Greg Stiemsma is a better basketball player and a better human being than Biyombo.
You're drafting Barnes with your pick this year.

These are things you will need to learn to deal with.

diehard

Fleer
Biyombo has had like 4 games with 10+ rebounds, get the fuck out of here. He has no impact on his team.

stats?

Kanter has much worse stats than Shumpert too.

He will still be better.

I'm going to quote myself in the future: "Remember when someone said Shumpert was the 2nd best player from the 2011 draft? LOL"

charsace

This is why you getting Barnes'd.

stats?

He will still be better.
I like Kanter, but to discount shumpert's game is foolish. Shumpert is an elite athlete with a skillset that should do well in the league. I could see Shumpert being similar to Harden in 2 seasons if he improves his jumper. And since Shump is a good ft shooter his jumper should come along.

why would you want to tank so late?

What does making the playoffs do for us?

Nothing. This team is poorly constructed and all that making the playoffs does it make the FO go hmmm maybe this could work? Because these guys do try and play hard so they will take a game and that would get the FO hype and think that all we have to do is add some overrated vet and everything would be gravy or worst sign Hawes to a giant contract or some shit.

I normally don't advocate tanking or trying to lose but in this case losing is the best option if only to finally get the FO to do something.

We never actually fully rebuilt from trading Iverson...every move we have made was patchwork over a shit foundation. Got Andre Miller and kept him..Signed the corpse of Elton Brand for a young fast breaking team.

We needed to go young 8 years ago....falling on our face would finally get the FO to realize that this "core" is ass and that we need to make major moves.

Look if we could turn this around and win the division...i would be okay with that but honestly whats the point if it's not due to our two guys worth a damn? If Jodie fucking Meeks gets hot and gets us into the playoffs does that make us a better team in the long run?

TLDR version. We need a star and that dude isn't on the team or on the market. So we be fucked.

stats?

He will still be better.
stephen-a-o.gif

diehard

Fleer
I like Kanter, but to discount shumpert's game is foolish. Shumpert is an elite athlete with a skillset that should do well in the league. I could see Shumpert being similar to Harden in 2 seasons if he improves his jumper. And since Shump is a good ft shooter his jumper should come along.

I'm not discounting him, or even saying he isn't good.

He just isn't 2nd best from the draft good.

calling Biyombo a bust is just dumb too

Novid

Banned
What does making the playoffs do for us?

Nothing. This team is poorly constructed and all that making the playoffs does it make the FO go hmmm maybe this could work? Because these guys do try and play hard so they will take a game and that would get the FO hype and think that all we have to do is add some overrated vet and everything would be gravy or worst sign Hawes to a giant contract or some shit.

I normally don't advocate tanking or trying to lose but in this case losing is the best option if only to finally get the FO to do something.

We never actually fully rebuilt from trading Iverson...every move we have made was patchwork over a shit foundation. Got Andre Miller and kept him..Signed the corpse of Elton Brand for a young fast breaking team.

We needed to go young 8 years ago....falling on our face would finally get the FO to realize that this "core" is ass and that we need to make major moves.

Look if we could turn this around and win the division...i would be okay with that but honestly whats the point if it's not due to our two guys worth a damn? If Jodie fucking Meeks gets hot and gets us into the playoffs does that make us a better team in the long run?

TLDR version. We need a star and that dude isn't on the team or on the market. So we be fucked.

agreed. elton not so much corpse as in tin man, hes rusted.

IWTMB, what's the story with Tony Wroten? Everything I've read about him indicates he's potentially a non-headcase version of Tyreke...so what's he doing going in the low 20s in mocks.

IWTMB, what's the story with Tony Wroten? Everything I've read about him indicates he's potentially a non-headcase version of Tyreke...so what's he doing going in the low 20s in mocks.

People love their headcases man.

But no seriously it's a two sided thing. Tyreke hasn't panned out and thus the lower teens is probably the best place for a guy like that or Wroten's jumper is worse than Tyreke's...

which is bad.

But I'll let our resident Jay Bilas, give you actual facts.

His jumper is complete garbage and he's incredibly turnover-prone and teams hate the fact that Washington couldn't get into the tournament despite playing in a garbage conference and with Wroten not even being the best player on the team. Probably too dumb to be a starting PG, but lacks the shooting or offball ability to be a starting SG. Could be a pretty good 6th man I guess. He probably could be better than Reke, but there's a lot of really good players in this draft so he could still be in the late first-round.

His jumper is complete garbage and he's incredibly turnover-prone and teams hate the fact that Washington couldn't get into the tournament despite playing in a garbage conference and with Wroten not even being the best player on the team. Probably too dumb to be a starting PG, but lacks the shooting or offball ability to be a starting SG. Could be a pretty good 6th man I guess. He probably could be better than Reke, but there's a lot of really good players in this draft so he could still be in the late first-round.

You are talking about Ross being the better player right?

If we decide to ship Jrue or Turner for a pick, he would be a nice target...we need a swing that can play off the ball that isn't a midget.

charsace

You are talking about Ross being the better player right?

If we decide to ship Jrue or Turner for a pick, he would be a nice target...we need a swing that can play off the ball that isn't a midget.

Ross is the second best SF in the draft imo.

I heard Carmelo said, "this is my house," to Deng before he blew dude's brains out with the 3pt winner. Sick if true.

DY_nasty

Biyombo has had like 4 games with 10+ rebounds, get the fuck out of here. He has no impact on his team.

Youngest player in the league - Gave Dwight two of the toughest one on one games of his life.

SHUMPSDAGOD

can't shoot on the most spaced out floor in the league and can't separate himself from Chris Singleton. Thank god for Garden Mystique.

masud

Banned
Youngest player in the league - Gave Dwight two of the toughest one on one games of his life.

SHUMPSDAGOD

can't shoot on the most spaced out floor in the league and can't separate himself from Chris Singleton. Thank god for Garden Mystique.

Shump can't shoot but he can handle the ball, drive and pass. Biyombo can't do anything on offense. I'd take Shump mystique or not.

DY_nasty

Shump can't shoot but he can handle the ball, drive and pass. Biyombo can't do anything on offense. I'd take Shump mystique or not.

Point me to a 19 year old big who came into the league with a NBA ready offense.

Because that is arguably the dumbest stance to make in this argument. Hell, half of NY thought they were getting a PG in Shump - he can't put the ball on the court. Or did you guys just forget the first half of the season?

charsace

Point me to a 19 year old big who came into the league with a NBA ready offense.

Because that is arguably the dumbest stance to make in this argument. Hell, half of NY thought they were getting a PG in Shump - he can't put the ball on the court. Or did you guys just forget the first half of the season?

He's not a pg, but he can definitely put the ball on the floor. Its one of the reasons why people thought he could play pg.

DY_nasty

He's not a pg, but he can definitely put the ball on the floor. Its one of the reasons why people thought he could play pg.

People thought he could play PG for the same reason they thought Reddick could play PG.

They didn't know what the hell they were talking about.

charsace

People thought he could play PG for the same reason they thought Reddick could play PG.

They didn't know what the hell they were talking about.

People thought Redick could play pg because they thought he was too small for sg.

Shumpert is a completely different situation. Shumpert is a playmaker, but not an offense creator. Shumpert has no problems getting into the lane. He just doesn't drive into the lane with the intention of creating offense for a teammate like a pg is supposed to. He looks for his shot, but if he sees someone he will get them the ball.

NOVAKINNNNNNN

Right guys right? Do the little belt thing. The little championship belt thing like your above .500 but your not.

Are the knicks above .500?
What a pile of fail.

masud

Banned

And how many raw as fuck bigs actually devevelop that NBA ready offense? Shump isn't a point but he can play it in spots like he did tonight. He's better at the 2 or 3 and he has above average handle and play making ability at both those positions. Plus he has good form and can shoot ft's, he's gonna be a decent shooter eventually. He's already shown improvement during the season. Biyombo is a good young player but so is Shump and I'd take him at this point.

Top Bottom