• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Apr |OT| Presented By Unicef and Feed The Children, Fuk Yo Hunger Clown.

linsivvi

Don't see why he'd trade one 1st round fodder team for another, but sure whynot

He has all his friends and support system in LA. He'll probably play for either the Lakers or the Clippers.

At least he didn't turn out like MWP. He'll be ok with the long summer off.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
My Alex English jersey arrived.

I just need a George Gervin jersey and I'm done.

He has all his friends and support system in LA. He'll probably play for either the Lakers or the Clippers.

At least he didn't turn out like MWP. He'll be ok with the long summer off.
I don't see the Clippers going after him this year. They have already had a lot of trouble adjusting to new pieces and are just now finding their identity. Adding someone who has a history of off the court issues and trouble fitting in is the last thing the Clippers need right now.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Yeah dude has had serious issues/crap happen in his life. Moving around with all of that just probably took it's toll.

Agreed. My thought is the moving from LA took him away from his day-to-day support system. Dude has had a rough time recently. Basketball not being his top priority at the moment isn't that surprising. I think as fans we forget these are actually people, not just names in a fantasy team lineup.

linsivvi

I don't see the Clippers going after him this year. They have already had a lot of trouble adjusting to new pieces and are just now finding their identity. Adding someone who has a history of off the court issues and trouble fitting in is the last thing the Clippers need right now.

He doesn't really have a history of off the court issue though. He's just an emotional guy who let family and personal stuff get to him and affect his on court performance. I think either team might give him a chance if they can have him on the cheap, which might happen since I doubt he'd want to play anywhere else at this point.

Lakers would take him back unfortunately. I like Lamar but the last thing the Lakers need to do is go backwards. Why not try to get Derek Fisher and Luke Walton back while we're at it. Better yet, let's go for Smoosh Parker too. Ugh, we're going to be so screwed in a couple of years. Kobe and Pau will be as old as dirt. Bynum will not have matured. Ebanks will have signed elsewhere due to lack of playing time. Ramon Sessions will be the star of the Lakers.

So Dallas is making him inactive the rest of the season so no one else can sign him? I think about the only thing that could make this Lamar bullshit worse is cutting him then watching him play well in Miami or Clippers/Lakers.

I guess it's too late for playoff rosters, right?

Flash

I'm really surprised there isn't a media push to fire the clippers coach from the media. The guy has been just horrible putting all their new talent together, you would think everyone had higher expectations for the clips.

Remember Spo last year? Media was pushing so hard to get him fired even though the heat always had a pretty good record.

linsivvi

So Dallas is making him inactive the rest of the season so no one else can sign him? I think about the only thing that could make this Lamar bullshit worse is cutting him then watching him play well in Miami or Clippers/Lakers.

It's too late for playoff rosters. Nobody would sign him now, not for just a dozen games. They are keeping him so they can still use him in a trade in the summer. He has a non-guarantee year left at $8M, so he'll be very useful even just as a trade piece for the other team to cut salaries.

Lakers would take him back unfortunately. I like Lamar but the last thing the Lakers need to do is go backwards. Why not try to get Derek Fisher and Luke Walton back while we're at it. Better yet, let's go for Smoosh Parker too. Ugh, we're going to be so screwed in a couple of years. Kobe and Pau will be as old as dirt. Bynum will not have matured. Ebanks will have signed elsewhere due to lack of playing time. Ramon Sessions will be the star of the Lakers.

This is too pessimistic even for you.

Yep. Deadline was March 23rd.

I'm really surprised there isn't a media push to fire the clippers coach from the media.

The coach is only part of the problem.

Do you guys think the Lakers would take him back or is it too much of a Circus as it is right now?

Once he's had some time to clear his head, I'm sure Kobe will ask. 2 Years at the Vet Minimum is fine. He's probably already on a flight.

Just a wasted season all around. I know he was emotional, but shit, you have to think rationally or have people that push you out of that funk. I know he was mad that they tried to trade him, but come on, the only player we won't trade is Kobe.

I hope he comes through fine, he's been through a lot of pain.

Emwitus

Did you just compare lamar to those two? Ungrateful LA fans i guess.

EDIT: Even smush faker LOL. Might as well throw kobe to the gutter when his knees eventually give in.

I'm really surprised there isn't a media push to fire the clippers coach from the media. The guy has been just horrible putting all their new talent together, you would think everyone had higher expectations for the clips.

Remember Spo last year? Media was pushing so hard to get him fired even though the heat always had a pretty good record.

They already did until Sterling and Olshey came out and publicly backed him. Now they've won 8 of their last 9 games so you probably won't hear anything for a while.

Even though trading for Odom didn't really work out for the Mavs, it was a risk worth taking. The only way Odom will ever end up back in LA is if the Lakers take him back.

Emwitus

Fuck Odom. He was a POS this whole season.

Dallas will move Vince Carter to the 3 and Roddy B will get more minutes at the 2 with Terry. And we will have Wright playing more back up minutes at the 4.

I still think dallas made a HUGE mistake, or maybe they are letting him get some time in the gym to get ready for the playoffs? Unless lamar asked for the release.

Redux

Banned
Lester Hudson is like one of those loud mouth Washington players who think they have, what they call, "Swag" but with a head on his shoulders.

He shot 9-22 vs the Nets for 26 points in 29 min. Sessions type numbers.

Did you just compare lamar to those two? Ungrateful LA fans i guess.

EDIT: Even smush faker LOL. Might as well throw kobe to the gutter when his knees eventually give in.

I will always appreciate what Kobe has done for this franchise and fans but I will not be in favor of us paying him $30 million dollars when he is no longer contributing $30 million worth of play. I want a Lakers team that will ALWAYS be competitive for a championship and reliving the past isn't going to get you there. Too often teams don't move on quick enough and are stuck paying their veterans contracts that hamstring the franchise from staying competitive into the next era. I don't want that for the Lakers.

Emwitus

I will always appreciate what Kobe has done for this franchise and fans but I will not be in favor of us paying him $30 million dollars when he is no longer contributing $30 million worth of play. I want a Lakers team that will ALWAYS be competitive for a championship and reliving the past isn't going to get you there.

How is bringing in a player like lamar for vet min i must add re living the past? And regardless of what people think, kobe earned that 30 mill per year considering all the work and minutes he puts in for the team.

How is bringing in a player like lamar for vet min i must add re living the past? And regardless of what people think, kobe earned that 30 mill per year considering all the work and minutes he puts in for the team.

Puts equals the key word. As his body continues to break down, his FG% falls, and his ability to keep the Lakers competitive decreases, the $30 million (basically, half of the cap) will hurt more and more. You sign a guy like Lamar fro the vet minimum IF he is the type of player to push you over the hump. You don't sign a guy like Lamar if you're going to be a consistent 5-6 seed and that is what the Lakers will be soon. Again, the Lakers aren't your average team that is happy to just make the playoffs or win the first round. Look at the Spurs. THAT is how you retool. THAT is how you draft. THAT is how you prepare for the future.

I will always appreciate what Kobe has done for this franchise and fans but I will not be in favor of us paying him $30 million dollars when he is no longer contributing $30 million worth of play. I want a Lakers team that will ALWAYS be competitive for a championship and reliving the past isn't going to get you there. Too often teams don't move on quick enough and are stuck paying their veterans contracts that hamstring the franchise from staying competitive into the next era. I don't want that for the Lakers.

Lakers are never getting rid of Kobe. His marketing power worldwide is just too massive to let go. Plus it would look bad.

JoeFu

Banned
lololol at Lamar. We all heard how much crap he went through, but man just play basketball. I thought most of the guys played harder to try to get away from off the court stuff. OH well

Sad I missed the radio today when he got released, wonder what nice stuff was said about him. Oh well we got Azubuike coming up from the Legends!!!

Lakers are never getting rid of Kobe. His marketing power worldwide is just too massive to let go. Plus it would look bad.

... who is talking about getting rid of Kobe? I never said that. But paying him $30 million annually for the next few years is going to hurt the Lakers. As will paying Gasol the amount they are. Eventually you have to prepare for the future. This Lakers team isn't making it out of the West, let alone winning it all and as the other teams continue to get younger and deeper the Lakers will become less competitive.

Emwitus

... who is talking about getting rid of Kobe? I never said that. But paying him $30 million annually for the next few years is going to hurt the Lakers. As will paying Gasol the amount they are. Eventually you have to prepare for the future. This Lakers team isn't making it out of the West, let alone winning it all and as the other teams continue to get younger and deeper the Lakers will become less competitive.

They signed a contract knowing very well what would happen eventually. Nothing you can do about that.....at the time of signing he was worth that amount of money....and probably still is because of the amount of revenue the kobe brand itself makes. All in all that's why players sign contracts so teams don't use them up like tissue paper and toss them when they run out of piss...

EDIT: And if mike brown had half the coaching expertise as pop he would have played all of their rookies earlier on in the season and kobe wouldn't have to accumulate all of his minutes. This has been a plague with the lakers for sometime.

What are you suggesting they do then?

KingGondo

Banned
Most likely not. Harden can command alot because of his draft number, but he'll get like 12m a year, start in a year or so.

Serge was drafted 24th. About 10m for him soon.
Draft position has little to do with it. Both Harden and Ibaka would command huge salaries on the open market--probably above $12 million/year for each.

You're not only paying for how good they are now, but how good they will probably be in the future. They're both only 22. TWENTY-TWO. Harden would be an all-star starting SG/SF on many teams in the league, and Ibaka's already leading the league in blocks by a huge margin and has a decent-and-developing offensive game.

The only way we keep both is if we amnesty Perkins, which I'm honestly fine with.

I love Perk and what he brings to the team, but keeping the YNB-Durant-Harden-Ibaka core together means multiple chips IMO.

But gun to my head, I pick Harden.

They signed a contract knowing very well what would happen eventually. Nothing you can do about that.....at the time of signing he was worth that amount of money....and probably still is because of the amount of revenue the kobe brand itself makes. All in all that's why players sign contracts so teams don't use them up like tissue paper and toss them when they run out of piss...

EDIT: And if mike brown had half the coaching expertise as pop he would have played all of their rookies earlier on in the season and kobe wouldn't have to accumulate all of his minutes. This has been a plague with the lakers for sometime.

Pfft, this so not true. I mean, Kobe will deserve it because even if he won't be able to perform 30 million worth, he'll still give his all. Players like Tim Thomas, however, will only play during contract years. NBA needs some kind of clause where if they don't perform, the team has the option to give them less the next year or something. Kinda like Plan A or Plan B plan.

Emwitus

Pfft, this so not true. I mean, Kobe will deserve it because even if he won't be able to perform 30 million worth, he'll still give his all. Players like Tim Thomas, however, will only play during contract years. NBA needs some kind of clause where if they don't perform, the team has the option to give them less the next year or something. Kinda like Plan A or Plan B plan.

The contract DOES NOT JUST PROTECT THE TEAM. What do you mean? And like i said, KOBE SELLS TICKETS!!!! On the road, brings in revenue from internationally televised games and in big markets like china. For players like lebron, wade, kobe calliber, the amount of money they earn can't just be directly related to their production on the court.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
lololol at Lamar. We all heard how much crap he went through, but man just play basketball. I thought most of the guys played harder to try to get away from off the court stuff. OH well

Sad I missed the radio today when he got released, wonder what nice stuff was said about him. Oh well we got Azubuike coming up from the Legends!!!

lololol yeah your son died, your cousin died, you killed a boy in a car! lololol just play ball!

What are you suggesting they do then?

At this point there isn't much they can do since they're not going to ask Kobe to work work his contract and if I'm Kobe no way would I agree to it. But they have to be smart in who they sign going forward and for how much. They really have to start working their rookies into they system. Also, if they can, trade Gasol for a younger body.

I hope it continues and never ends. Screw him and his emo BS.

smh.

lololol yeah your son died, your cousin died, you killed a boy in a car! lololol just play ball!

Not to mention the crappy childhood he had.

Branduil

Not to mention the crappy childhood he had.

Those are just excuses he uses to wallow in self-pity. If he cared that much he'd have taken the season off to begin with. You can't just be like "meh I don't wanna play" once the season has started. Well you can, it just makes you a loser, and that's what Lamar Odom is. Proof that having a ring and being a winner aren't the same thing.

Those are just excuses he uses to wallow in self-pity. If he cared that much he'd have taken the season off to begin with. You can't just be like "meh I don't wanna play" once the season has started. Well you can, it just makes you a loser, and that's what Lamar Odom is. Proof that having a ring and being a winner aren't the same thing.

Really bro? REALLY?

He probably thought that being on the court would be the best medicine for what he had endured. Speaking as someone who did lose a child, I wanted to be at work because I didn't want to be at home and focus on the loss AND YET I couldn't give my all while at work. It's not as easy as being THIS or THAT.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!

Yeah, because you can't be human ever as long as you play for Brandy's team!!

Branduil

Really bro? REALLY?

He probably thought that being on the court would be the best medicine for what he had endured. Speaking as someone who did lose a child, I wanted to be at work because I didn't want to be at home and focus on the loss AND YET I couldn't give my all while at work. It's not as easy as being THIS or THAT.

The losing a child thing is bad, but it also happened 6 years ago. The thing he's really upset over is being traded. Because his life is so sucky, having to play for millions of dollars for a different team.

Yeah, because you can't be human ever as long as you play for Brandy's team!!

LOL because Lamar Odom is the only human being on the Mavs' roster.

Top Bottom