• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Apr |OT| Presented By Unicef and Feed The Children, Fuk Yo Hunger Clown.

I feel bad for Lamar that it couldn't work out. Always been a fan of his. But the Odom defense force is too strong, here. We all go through personal shit and still have to go out and do what we gotta do.

Lamar being rich and taken care of is what allows him to renege on his responsibilities.

Branduil

I don't think that it's wrong to be upset with how Lamar has handled it but rather its to the level of calling him a baby or loser that is the problem.

Maybe but I'm sure I can think up some excuse from my personal life to explain it. Please just try to be understanding of my humanity, I'm not a robot.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I feel bad for Lamar that it couldn't work out. Always been a fan of his. But the Odom defense force is too strong, here. We all go through personal shit and still have to go out and do what we gotta do.

Lamar being rich and taken care of is what allows him to renege on his responsibilities.

Lamar getting fired is ok with me... No defense about his play. The Mavs decided to handle it this way than cutting him

I'm not part of the Odom defense force. I said "fuck him" when he forced a trade to the Mavs as a way of sticking it to the Laker organization. Now that hasn't quite worked like he thought it would in the moment he asked for it. He thought he'd have success with the Mavs and make Mitch jealous.

That never happened.

But you know what did happen?

Brandex.

Brandex happened.

Agreed. I can only deal with one dysfunctional team at a time though... I tip my hat to you for dealing with both the knicks and mets.

Are there any jets/mets/knicks-agers? Those poor souls. :(

I'm Knicks, Jets and Yankees. Thank you based Jeter.

I don't think that it's wrong to be upset with how Lamar has handled it but rather its to the level of calling him a baby or loser that is the problem.

I think part of the reason is that the organization has been VERY supportive of him. They tried to understand and gave him time to do anything he wanted to do. Hell if that happened to me, I'd end up saying "hey, my life sucks, but this organization REALLY wants me... The least I can do is try my best here."

The other thing that bothers me is that instead of the Mavs buying him out, they straight out told him, "we're paying you to do nothing." That sends a red flag to me that they're suspicious that he's not giving his all because he'd rather sign up for another team and do well there (aka: Lakers).

Branduil

I think part of the reason is that the organization has been VERY supportive of him. They tried to understand and gave him time to do anything he wanted to do. Hell if that happened to me, I'd end up saying "hey, my life sucks, but this organization REALLY wants me... The least I can do is try my best here."

The other thing that bothers me is that instead of the Mavs buying him out, they straight out told him, "we're paying you to do nothing." That sends a red flag to me that they're suspicious that he's not giving his all because he'd rather sign up for another team and do well there (aka: Lakers).

They're not doing that because they would have to pay him 2.5 million next year. They will trade him and $3 million to another team during the offseason to free up cap space.

h3ro

Regarding the current Odom debate, I empathize with the man. Having your darkest moments televised for the world to see must only worsen them by compounding the pressure that any man would feel dealing with tragedy.

Where he loses me is that he didn't deal with these issues as they arose before the season started after his trade. That's not only his failure, but a failure of his wife, his family, his entourage, his representation/council and his new employers.

Dragging the situation on like this wasn't professional at all. I know professional athletes/celebrities live by a separate set of rules, but this was a but much for me as I feel there were just so many opportunities for him to acknowledge the issues he had and take time away to rectify them. That's what the non-athlete professional would have to do or deal with the consequences of failing to carry out their contracted duty regardless of mitigating circumstances.

giri

Draft position has little to do with it. Both Harden and Ibaka would command huge salaries on the open market--probably above $12 million/year for each.

You're not only paying for how good they are now, but how good they will probably be in the future. They're both only 22. TWENTY-TWO. Harden would be an all-star starting SG/SF on many teams in the league, and Ibaka's already leading the league in blocks by a huge margin and has a decent-and-developing offensive game.

The only way we keep both is if we amnesty Perkins, which I'm honestly fine with.

I love Perk and what he brings to the team, but keeping the YNB-Durant-Harden-Ibaka core together means multiple chips IMO.

But gun to my head, I pick Harden.

Maybe its just me, but it would appear to me that ibaka hasn't developed much on the offensive end this year at all. In fact, he's gone back a little. So apart from his block numbers going up, he's gone backwards everywhere.

Apart from the fact i don't think OKC look to use him enough, i don't think his numbers will ever go up much unless one of durant/ynb/harden leave and he's forced to score more.

Ibaka is the odd one out.

I honestly don't get why GMs still continue to say that Perry Jones is just a misused SG/SF and that he'll dazzle people once there (like is written in the ESPN article). He's 6'11, laterally slow, has limited ball handling skill, has terrible court vision, can't make shots that are further than 17 feet from the rim, and plays just like Chris Bosh except much worse. I don't think it's hard at all to see what position he should play in the NBA. Will he be a crappy PF? Sure, but he'd be even worse at SF.

diehard

Fleer
I honestly don't get why GMs still continue to say that Perry Jones is just a misused SG/SF and that he'll dazzle people once there (like is written in the ESPN article). He's 6'11, laterally slow, has limited ball handling skill, has terrible court vision, can't make shots that are further than 17 feet from the rim, and plays just like Chris Bosh except much worse. I don't think it's hard at all to see what position he should play in the NBA. Will he be a crappy PF? Sure, but he'd be even worse at SF.

Arguement about Odom? I was seriously just thinking to myself it was about time for a IWMTB post.

What is your nick in reference to?

Emwitus

Woohoo Laker killer jarred jack is out today. Get well soon but thanks for taking the day, may be now we have hope of beating new orleans.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
h3ro got a new Mike Woodson image for you.

IMG_05461-475x354.jpg

... thank God you don't.

Can you get me D-Rtg and Pace numbers? Less PPG could just be because they're slogging on offense.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

Sounds like Earl Clark but worse.

exarkun

Damn, blackace and dy make a compelling case about all of the emotional baggage he had. Didn't know his son died.

Problem is, he's a professional. And whether you're a ballplayer, welder, doctor, lawyer, whatever you still signed a contract. He didn't fulfill an ounce of the contract. If I was a Mavs fan, i would consider that the organization took a gamble, adjust accordingly, but I would still be pissed.

If he wanted out from the beginning, he should of taken off or ask to be let go. Humans make bad decisions, but more often than not you don't still get paid millions for your bad decision. The Mavs are doing him a solid right now, but i don't even think he deserves that (by getting still paid).

Ergh, somehow didn't see the Odom stuff. That sucks, always loved his playstyle even though he always dominated the Jazz.

What is your nick in reference to?

When I signed up a few years ago, i was reading a book that had used the line "The way it was meant to be" frequently and I thought that sounded cool. My birthday is on December 19th and a good bit of my friends have birthdays on the 19th so I like that number.

Ergh, somehow didn't see the Odom stuff. That sucks, always loved his playstyle even though he always dominated the Jazz.

When I signed up a few years ago, i was reading a book that had used the line "The way it was meant to be" frequently and I thought that sounded cool. My birthday is on December 19th and a good bit of my friends have birthdays on the 19th so I like that number.

Ahhh makes sense.

DY_nasty

Damn, blackace and dy make a compelling case about all of the emotional baggage he had. Didn't know his son died.

Problem is, he's a professional. And whether you're a ballplayer, welder, doctor, lawyer, whatever you still signed a contract. He didn't fulfill an ounce of the contract. If I was a Mavs fan, i would consider that the organization took a gamble, adjust accordingly, but I would still be pissed.

If he wanted out from the beginning, he should of taken off or ask to be let go. Humans make bad decisions, but more often than not you don't still get paid millions for your bad decision. The Mavs are doing him a solid right now, but i don't even think he deserves that (by getting still paid).
He did handle it poorly - but what can you say? He lost most of his support system by leaving LA and he forgot that he was in a business. Easy to do when you're getting rings and poppin bottles.

I can empathize with him a bit. I didn't really deal with my mom dying until 2-3 years after the fact. Dude tried to tough out a lot of stuff. I can't really fault him for that. He should've got help, but everyone thinks they can handle themselves.

No real position?

Sound like a future Sixer to me!

Perry Jones III Futures

Gabyskra

Banned
No real position?

Sound like a future Sixer to me!

Perry Jones III Futures

The worst part about being a Sixers fan is that it's not like your team has a glaring flaw you could compensate for. You have decent players at every position. It's a fucking headache to get out of that situation. Too much depth, the talent is not concentrated enough.

With nine games remaining on the season, Pau Gasol wants the Lakers to turn up their intensity.

"Lately we're not playing with that sense of urgency that I think is needed at this point when there's only nine games left now," Gasol said, taking zero solace in his season-high 30 points to go with 13 rebounds. "We have a pretty tough schedule going into these nine games. So, we have to be aware of exactly what we're playing for and where we are at this point of the season, which is at the very end. Otherwise it's going to really hurt us."

The Lakers are just a half-game ahead of the Clippers for the third spot in the Western Conference playoff race.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...akers_To_Play_With_More_Urgency#ixzz1rZgC4J00

Hey Pau, where was this sense of urgency during last year's playoffs? Oh yea...

The worst part about being a Sixers fan is that it's not like your team has a glaring flaw you could compensate for. You have decent players at every position. It's a fucking headache to get out of that situation. Too much depth, the talent is not concentrated enough.

Pretty much.

Too many guys who can do a bunch of stuff but because of that they don't have a single role they are good-great at.

The only guy on the team that is in his perfect role is Lou Williams and even he has to play out of his comfort zone and be our closer.

Fun Fact: we have won like 3 games that were under 6 points with 2-5 minuted to go. Some closer.

But it is what it is. In this league it's tough to get THAT guy without tanking or hoping that he wants out and wants to come to your team...which no one wants to come to Philly and play 4th banana to all of the other teams. Shit if Philly College Ball wasn't ass this year we might be 5th on the scale of people giving a fuck.

The Turner pick also fucked us when He wasn't as NBA ready as promised that and the fact that we hired Doug "I hate rookies" Collins.

but oh well...I won't give up on them not yet...hopefully the new ownership doesn't sit on their thumbs like the last one and decide that it is time to move on from the Iggy era.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Ibaka wouldn't command $12mil/yr lol. If anyone gives him that then ahahaha.

Ibaka has the reputation of being good and DeAndre Jordan got $10m a year despite being a good bit worse than Ibaka so $12m (while stupid) could happen.

edit: Beaten...

Pretty much.

Too many guys who can do a bunch of stuff but because of that they don't have a single role they are good-great at.

The only guy on the team that is in his perfect role is Lou Williams and even he has to play out of his comfort zone and be our closer.

Fun Fact: we have won like 3 games that were under 6 points with 2-5 minuted to go. Some closer.

But it is what it is. In this league it's tough to get THAT guy without tanking or hoping that he wants out and wants to come to your team...which no one wants to come to Philly and play 4th banana to all of the other teams. Shit if Philly College Ball wasn't ass this year we might be 5th on the scale of people giving a fuck.

The Turner pick also fucked us when He wasn't as NBA ready as promised that and the fact that we hired Doug "I hate rookies" Collins.

but oh well...I won't give up on them not yet...hopefully the new ownership doesn't sit on their thumbs like the last one and decide that it is time to move on from the Iggy era.
I think Philly can get out of it sooner than later, isn't Brand an expiring next year? And really, that team needs a shooter. Meeks is not the answer and a decision has to be made in the Jrue/Turner/Iggy/Sweet Lou situation. One, maybe two of them have to be dealt in order to get some guys who can put the ball in the hoop somewhat efficiently. I don't think their bigs situation is bad at all, Hawes/Vuecevic is a nice Center combo. Brand's minutes have to be monitored right now, I don't see the harm in giving Lavoy Allen 18 minutes a night.

I think Philly can get out of it sooner than later, isn't Brand an expiring next year? And really, that team needs a shooter. Meeks is not the answer and a decision has to be made in the Jrue/Turner/Iggy/Sweet Lou situation. One, maybe two of them have to be dealt in order to get some guys who can put the ball in the hoop somewhat efficiently. I don't think their bigs situation is bad at all, Hawes/Vuecevic is a nice Center combo. Brand's minutes have to be monitored right now, I don't see the harm in giving Lavoy Allen 18 minutes a night.

Brand probably will get amnestied this summer or get traded at the deadline due to his expiring contract, so no worries there. Lou will opt out and go to Brooklyn after Deron bolts..or at least to some sucker who will give him a starting gig. Iggy is probably out too after his recent fuck yall bitches comments..hopefully some one is dumb enough to take him for that contract. Fuck Hawes...he shows up for a nice stretch, either gets hurt or just turns back into a bitch every year of his career. Hope he walks too.

So yeah while we aren't in a completely bad spot but there is teh chance that we half-ass the next step. That's been the problem since getting rid of A.I. We constantly thought that we could still contend. We should have traded Andre Miller before he carried us into the playoffs. We should have NEVER signed Brand. He didn't fit the whole fast break thing we had back then and he obviously was never gonna be the same again. Eddie Jordan and Doug Collins were the wrong types of coaches to hire for a team that needs to be developed. Basically we tried to stay contending with a shit core. They need to let it go and start over.

Not full on tank but move Iggy and pick either Jrue or Turner to start building around and see what happens. Iggy is what he is, Brand is done, and thus we need to cut our losses and move on.

But we won't. We might cut Brand, sign some bum, draft another roleplayer without a role, and I'll be here bitching next season too.

Go Sixers.

I would rather call him troubled and hope he seeks professional help. Dude has to get mental issues straightened out.

Lamar getting fired is ok with me... No defense about his play. The Mavs decided to handle it this way than cutting him

Yeah, I'm okay with him being fired or put aside (his contract for next year is too good to just cut. It's a legit asset).

people attacking him on a directly personal level are wrong, but so are those that say it's totally cool that he didn't even try for the entire season.

I'm not part of the Odom defense force. I said "fuck him" when he forced a trade to the Mavs as a way of sticking it to the Laker organization. Now that hasn't quite worked like he thought it would in the moment he asked for it. He thought he'd have success with the Mavs and make Mitch jealous.

That never happened.

True, but even thought he left because he was butthurt, I will never say "fuck him" to LO. Dude helped us win b2b titles and go to 3 finals after constantly being insulted by Laker fans for not being good enough year after year. And he accepted a role off the bench when he was a starter.

Odom will always be cool in my book.

Hey Pau, where was this sense of urgency during last year's playoffs? Oh yea...

They had it when they won what, 17 of 18 games to take the 2 seed, culminating with a beatdown of Dallas (only loss being to Miami in a close one). But they expended so much energy in that run, and Pau in particular was run down by the end of it for carrying the Lakers with no Bynum and a hurt Kobe for the first month, that they couldn't keep it up in the playoffs with the previous 3 Finals catching up to them. Phil fucked that one up by working them way too hard. Should have done a Pop last season.

KingGondo

Banned
Wowwwww @ Kurt Thomas. That is ice-fucking-cold.

Grizz could've had Harden and Love, instead they drafted Thabust and Mayo. :lol

DY_nasty

is there anyone in the league who's been screwed over worse than Mayo?

(other than DJ Messiah of course)
Ibaka wouldn't command $12mil/yr lol. If anyone gives him that then ahahaha.
12 mil? naw

he'll get at tyrus money at least

Top Bottom