• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Apr |OT| Presented By Unicef and Feed The Children, Fuk Yo Hunger Clown.

I can understand Lamar's troubles and problems, but a lot of people have had things happen to them and personal problems and still have to go to work eventually. I had a bad childhood. I can't hold that as a reason for my work performance now.

I've seen employers layoff people for poor performance, after they have given an employee time off work to deal with personal problems. It sucks, but what are you gonna do. IDK, at least Dallas is still paying him.

Plus, wasn't he more hurt over the trade than anything else?

Lamar, come back home to the Clips!!! :) Somehow. Probably not though, heh.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
It does suck, but if he didn't want to play basketball he should have taken the year off like he said he wanted to.

Again, stop treating players like they can't human....

Blackace

I can understand Lamar's troubles and problems, but a lot of people have had things happen to them and personal problems and still have to go to work eventually. I had a bad childhood. I can't hold that as a reason for my work performance now.

I've seen employers layoff people for poor performance, after they have given an employee time off work to deal with personal problems. It sucks, but what are you gonna do. IDK, at least Dallas is still paying him.

Plus, wasn't he more hurt over the trade than anything else?

Lamar, come back home to the Clips!!! :) Somehow. Probably not though, heh.

If he got fired I don't really care... Players get cut all the time, it's the fuck him attitude that sickens me

Especially when you still want to get paid millions of dollars without having to do anything for it.

Give me a break bro. These athletes aren't freaking robots where they can turn off their emotions and day to day troubles. Just because you're getting paid millions doesn't change the fact that you're human, as Ace has said repeatedly. Again, it's not as easy as saying 'Can't give it your 100% best? Then don't play!'.

Branduil

If he got fired I don't really care... Players get cut all the time, it's the fuck him attitude that sickens me

He took that attitude towards us first.

Give me a break bro. These athletes aren't freaking robots where they can turn off their emotions and day to day troubles. Just because you're getting paid millions doesn't change the fact that you're human, as Ace has said repeatedly. Again, it's not as easy as saying 'Can't give it your 100% best? Then don't play!'.

There's a difference between being human and being a baby. Lamar never grew up.

JoeFu

Banned
I don't hate Lamar as much like as Brandi does. I really wished it worked out. I hope he can sort out his problems and play basketball at the level he did for the Lakers. I just wished he did it here. I don't hate him, just disappointed. There have been other players that had crappy stuff happen to them and they still played. Amar'e lost his brother, Roddy B lost his dad, they are still trying hard at least. I know it isn't the same has having a terrible childhood and your kid dying, but still.

Emwitus

Those are just excuses he uses to wallow in self-pity. If he cared that much he'd have taken the season off to begin with. You can't just be like "meh I don't wanna play" once the season has started. Well you can, it just makes you a loser, and that's what Lamar Odom is. Proof that having a ring and being a winner aren't the same thing.

oH BoY. I'm afraid to break it to you, but those players are not machines.

I don't hate Lamar as much like as Brandi does. I really wished it worked out. I hope he can sort out his problems and play basketball at the level he did for the Lakers. I just wished he did it here. I don't hate him, just disappointed. There have been other players that had crappy stuff happen to them and they still played. Amar'e lost his brother, Roddy B lost his dad, they are still trying hard at least. I know it isn't the same has having a terrible childhood and your kid dying, but still.

And Kobe played through a rape case. And Michael Jordan played through a freaking horrible flu. Etc. You can't typecast a player when it comes to non basketball related issues. I'm sure Lamar wishes he could've put up the numbers he's use to during this season. I'm sure Lamar feels that he let his team down. But again, you can't judge all players the same when it comes to this type of thing.

Branduil

oH BoY. I'm afraid to break it to you, but those players are not machines.

I like how everyone is presenting this false dilemma of players either being inhuman robots or the sack of pathetic excuses that is Odom. That's a pretty big insult to all the players who actually have integrity and honor their contracts.

Is Dallas saying "fuck him"? Seems that they tried everything they could to get Lamar back in the game with positive reinforcement (from reading the ESPN article), and his attitude is hurting the locker room, and plus his performance is sub par.

They aren't cutting him, correct? He is still getting paid and all of that. It seems he getting what he wants, time off away from basketball and the team to get himself together, while still getting his full salary.

A lot of normal working people would love that situation in hard personal times.

What if they cut him and said your performance is not acceptable and unprofessional in a statement? Would that be more a "fuck you" to him?.

Or if they told him privately that we don't care about your out of office things, we just care about your on court performance, shape up or ship out?

Seems like Dallas tried, and Lamar is not into it mentally.

Emwitus

Different people take death in the family differently. Some work off the pain other's aren't able to function at all. You never know these things. Seems like lamar was close to the cousin he lost.

linsivvi

... who is talking about getting rid of Kobe? I never said that. But paying him $30 million annually for the next few years is going to hurt the Lakers. As will paying Gasol the amount they are. Eventually you have to prepare for the future. This Lakers team isn't making it out of the West, let alone winning it all and as the other teams continue to get younger and deeper the Lakers will become less competitive.

That's just how the league is structured. He couldn't be paid $30M annually when he was worth that price, and that applies to pretty much every superstar. So until there's a drastic change to salary increase and rookie scales, which will probably never happen, nothing can be done.

Unless you are saying that NBA teams should be allowed to profit from NBA stars without paying them their market value, which is even more absurd.

Blackace

I like how everyone is presenting this false dilemma of players either being inhuman robots or the sack of pathetic excuses that is Odom. That's a pretty big insult to all the players who actually have integrity and honor their contracts.
The term million dollar slave has never been more appropriate than in this conversation..
Is Dallas saying "fuck him"? Seems that they tried everything they could to get Lamar back in the game with positive reinforcement (from reading the ESPN article), and his attitude is hurting the locker room, and plus his performance is sub par.

They aren't cutting him, correct? He is still getting paid and all of that. It seems he getting what he wants, time off away from basketball and the team to get himself together, while still getting his full salary.

A lot of normal working people would love that situation in hard personal times.

What if they cut him and said your performance is not acceptable and unprofessional in a statement? Would that be more a "fuck you" to him?.

Or if they told him privately that we don't care about your out of office things, we just care about your on court performance, shape up or ship out?

Seems like Dallas tried, and Lamar is not into it mentally.

The Mavs are great.. Mavs' fans aren't..

Emwitus

Lamar odom lost a relative. Not everyone takes a loss the same...that's why we are human.

That's just how the league is structured. He couldn't be paid $30M annually when he was worth that price, and that applies to pretty much every superstar. So until there's a drastic change to salary increase and rookie scales, which will probably never happen, nothing can be done.

Unless you are saying that NBA teams should be allowed to profit from NBA stars without paying them their market value, which is even more absurd.

Ofcourse they should have to pay them market value, never said that they shouldn't. My problem is again how this will hamstring the Lakers going forward. Didn't Magic sign that 25 year $25 million deal with the understanding he'd be allowed to become part owner of the team after he retired? Would this be possible under the previous CBA? Would Kobe be able to restructure his deal in a way that he'd be able to make up the difference after he retired?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
528075_411635225531674_367810133247517_1463323_2101522498_n.jpg

AirBrian

The term million dollar slave has never been more appropriate than in this conversation..

The Mavs are great.. Mavs' fans aren't..

Not all Mavs' fan, to be fair.

But yeah, Cuban/Mavs did all they could to get Odom going. He just wasn't in basketball shape mentally and physically. If a player contemplates not even playing a year, it's a big red flag that he's a risk. The Mavs gambled, kept up their part of the bargain and tried, but it didn't work out. Move on. Mavs' fans that hate Odom need to let go -- the Mavs also knew what they were getting into when they signed him.

Blackace

LOL please. That's a ludicrous copout.

I'm sure a lot of us non-slaves wish we could take a year off of working with no repercussions.
Sure many of wish we could.. and who knows he might never play again because of this.. A lot of players never bounce back from these types of things.. like Vin Baker...

Stop treating fans like they can't be human.

talk about cop outs..

linsivvi

Ofcourse they should have to pay them market value, never said that they shouldn't. My problem is again how this will hamstring the Lakers going forward. Didn't Magic sign that 25 year $25 million deal with the understanding he'd be allowed to become part owner of the team after he retired? Would this be possible under the previous CBA? Would Kobe be able to restructure his deal in a way that he'd be able to make up the difference after he retired?

I don't think they've been able to do that for a long time. It is indeed a flaw to the way the CBA works right now. Players can only earn a salary that reflects their market value years into the league, and teams will have to pay that price later.

Just be thankful that he helped the Lakers to win 5 championships.

So he finally left... About damn time, I'd say so myself. Seriously, if he was in such a bad shape he should have just left basketball to begin with. His heart was never in it, so instead of just taking a break initially, he wasted almost a full basketball season to make a decision. If he truly felt like this during the Summer, he should have never even attempted to play basketball.

I honestly don't think his bad play has to do with what happened to him during the summer, I think it just stems from the fact that he feels betrayed by the Lakers for wanting to trade him. Well good riddance, it was just sad to see him play like this. That trade has to go down as one of the most mind boggling trades that I can remember, in regards to a player not living up to his hype.

just chiming in..to be fair to the mavs organization, carlisle and cuban pretty much coddled odom the entire time he was here. praising him for showing effort, and diverting attention away from odom after subpar performances. they did their best to get excited whenver lamar had like a 6-3-2 game, and definitely were always encouraging lamar after games. i just didnt think it was a good fit for either team.

Blackace

You're the one arguing I can't be upset with him because he's a human being. If that's so, why are you upset with me, I'm also a human being.

Because wishing him more misery is the human thing to do, eh?

AirBrian

just chiming in..to be fair to the mavs organization, carlisle and cuban pretty much coddled odom the entire time he was here. praising him for showing effort, and diverting attention away from odom after subpar performances. they did their best to get excited whenver lamar had like a 6-3-2 game, and definitely were always encouraging lamar after games. i just didnt think it was a good fit for either team.

He was never comfortable playing the 4 in Dallas.

Blackace

Yo, I have nothing but kudos for how the Mavs handled it all!

linsivvi

So he finally left... About damn time, I'd say so myself. Seriously, if he was in such a bad shape he should have just left basketball to begin with. His heart was never in it, so instead of just taking a break initially, he wasted almost a full basketball season to make a decision. If he truly felt like this during the Summer, he should have never even attempted to play basketball.

I honestly don't think his bad play has to do with what happened to him during the summer, I think it just stems from the fact that he feels betrayed by the Lakers for wanting to trade him. Well good riddance, it was just sad to see him play like this. That trade has to go down as one of the most mind boggling trades that I can remember, in regards to a player not living up to his hype.

No it's not.

First of all the Mavericks did not give up anything of significance. More importantly they can pick up his option year and use him as a trade bait for a veteran.

No it's not.

First of all the Mavericks did not give up anything of significance. More importantly they can pick up his option year and use him as a trade bait for a veteran.

I'm not talking about what the Mavs gave up to get him or anything else like that, I said in regards to a player living up to his hype, in which Odom was not even CLOSE to being the player he should be. Who would have thought that Odom would go from 6th man of the year, to looking like he shouldn't even be playing in the NBA?

Everyone is a loser except Dirk.

Kidd? Garbage
JET? Garbage
Haywood? Garbage

The list goes on.

Brandy is the Mavs Konex. Dirk is never wrong.

That list is actually correct.

h3ro

Liking the Knicks doesn't make you weird, just a glutton for punishment.
Agreed. I can only deal with one dysfunctional team at a time though... I tip my hat to you for dealing with both the knicks and mets.

Are there any jets/mets/knicks-agers? Those poor souls. :(

Top Bottom