• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Apr |OT| Presented By Unicef and Feed The Children, Fuk Yo Hunger Clown.

is there anyone in the league who's been screwed over worse than Mayo?

(other than DJ Messiah of course)

12 mil? naw

he'll get at tyrus money at least

EvanTurner12.jpg

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Wowwwww @ Kurt Thomas. That is ice-fucking-cold.

Grizz could've had Harden and Love, instead they drafted Thabust and Mayo. :lol

They could've had anybody from the 09 draft. It was an awesome draft.

So of course the Wolves came away using the #6 pick on Jonny Flynn.

KingGondo

Banned
They could've had anybody from the 09 draft. It was an awesome draft.

So of course the Wolves came away using the #6 pick on Jonny Flynn.
At least the Love-Mayo trade was defendable at the time. Nobody knew that Love is a probable HOF-er and that Mayo is mediocre.

But drafting Thabeet at #2 is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen, and I remember thinking exactly that on draft day. Thank god Memphis was picking ahead of OKC at #3 or we wouldn't have The Beard.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Drafting Thabeet made no sense whatsoever for Memphis considering they had Marc Gasol coming into his own.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
At least the Love-Mayo trade was defendable at the time. Nobody knew that Love is a probable HOF-er and that Mayo is mediocre.

But drafting Thabeet at #2 is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen, and I remember thinking exactly that on draft day. Thank god Memphis was picking ahead of OKC at #3 or we wouldn't have The Beard.

I shat on that trade sooooo hard. Even if Love has "empty" stats at least he s getting stats at this point in his career..

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Kahn got his man.

His eye for talent is uncanny.

It's crazy that the only two picks he hasn't screwed up were total no-brainers, Ricky Rubio and Derrick Williams. And when Williams gets traded for some mediocre vet to "balance the roster" this summer, I'll be sad.

Pretty much.

Too many guys who can do a bunch of stuff but because of that they don't have a single role they are good-great at.

The only guy on the team that is in his perfect role is Lou Williams and even he has to play out of his comfort zone and be our closer.

Fun Fact: we have won like 3 games that were under 6 points with 2-5 minuted to go. Some closer.

But it is what it is. In this league it's tough to get THAT guy without tanking or hoping that he wants out and wants to come to your team...which no one wants to come to Philly and play 4th banana to all of the other teams. Shit if Philly College Ball wasn't ass this year we might be 5th on the scale of people giving a fuck.

The Turner pick also fucked us when He wasn't as NBA ready as promised that and the fact that we hired Doug "I hate rookies" Collins.

but oh well...I won't give up on them not yet...hopefully the new ownership doesn't sit on their thumbs like the last one and decide that it is time to move on from the Iggy era.
I'll give you Derrick Williams for Iggy

His eye for talent is uncanny.

It's crazy that the only two picks he hasn't screwed up were total no-brainers, Ricky Rubio and Derrick Williams. And when Williams gets traded for some mediocre vet to "balance the roster" this summer, I'll be sad.

You shouldn't even have Rubio...I have no idea how Grunsfeld has a job today.

Sometimes I wonder about what organizations are thinking. I'm pretty sure Grunsfeld is going to pick a critical draft asset for us despite him probably not getting an extension which seems kind of insane when you think about it.

Is there a sleeper team in the East (like Memphis) that could potentially pull an upset?

I also don't buy that Love's stats are empty. You could place him on any team, regardless of record, and he could put up similar numbers.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Is there a sleeper team in the East (like Memphis) that could potentially pull an upset?

I also don't buy that Love's stats are empty. You could place him on any team, regardless of record, and he could put up similar numbers.

Knicks will beat Miami
once.

Determining sleepers based on standing is lol. There is almost no separation 3 to 9 in the East.

How are they a sleeper? Aren't they the 4th seed?

Good answer.

... why did they even play him? Is this a reinjury or did they rush him back?

He reinjured it in the last game against the 76ers.

Knicks will beat Miami
once.

Determining sleepers based on standing is lol. There is almost no separation 3 to 9 in the East.

He reinjured it in the last game against the 76ers.
Get your ass on PSN and accept my Friend Invite. The MLB 12: The Show league should start this weekend, Friday if we're lucky.

Christian

From SI.com Foul Faces piece:

javale-mcgee.jpg

Am I the only one that thinks this is probably how JaVale looks most of the time anyway - utterly perplexed?

No, they don't.

They're in worse shape than Philly and NY
Yes they do, it's potential... throw the ball into a healthy Dwight 20+ times and let him cause havoc. Play speedster Ish Smith over Duhon, who is Mike Bibby-bad. Give Von Wafer more than 10 minutes a night. FREE BIB BABY. But will they do that? nawwwwwwwwwwww

And how are they in worse shape than Philly? They just beat Philly with a 50% D12.

giri

Mayo will be a good player, just not in memphis. He needs out.

Whether the problems there were made by him, or just being a really bad fit personality wise... i have no idea.

Also, thabeet is the worst pick in recent memory. Everybody knew he would be terrible. Everybody.

jjasper

Yeah I have no problem with the Love-Mayo trade. But the Thabeet thing was inexcusable. I think that was when the team hit rock bottom in terms of support. It is what happens when Hiesley butts in and keeps Wallace from doing his job. Listening to Wallace try and defend the pick was cringeworthy. It was clear he didn't want him. That entire draft was a fucking abortion for us. Sam Young, Demarre Carroll, and Thabust.

Luckily after that Heisley took a back seat and Wallace has done some great work. Every move he has made this year has been great. He should win GM of the year or at least be in serious consideration for it.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I remember when Memphis took Thabeet , Hollins was asked why they didnt take Rubio, his answer:

"What am I gonna do with Rubio?"

My guess is not trade him to Houston for peanuts.

Yeah I have no problem with the Love-Mayo trade. But the Thabeet thing was inexcusable. I think that was when the team hit rock bottom in terms of support. It is what happens when Hiesley butts in and keeps Wallace from doing his job. Listening to Wallace try and defend the pick was cringeworthy. It was clear he didn't want him. That entire draft was a fucking abortion for us. Sam Young, Demarre Carroll, and Thabust.

Luckily after that Heisley took a back seat and Wallace has done some great work. Every move he has made this year has been great. He should win GM of the year or at least be in serious consideration for it.

And yet half the Grizzlies forum wants him fired for some reason. The fans have an extremely short memory.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Yes they do, it's potential... throw the ball into a healthy Dwight 20+ times and let him cause havoc. Play speedster Ish Smith over Duhon, who is Mike Bibby-bad. Give Von Wafer more than 10 minutes a night. FREE BIB BABY. But will they do that? nawwwwwwwwwwww

And how are they in worse shape than Philly? They just beat Philly with a 50% D12.
Stan will never play Ish. Its obvious that bad point guard play is his fetish.
Dwight hasn't been forcefed in his entire career. Why would it happen now?
Wafer will continue to ride pine for sharing the same name as a cookie.

At least Philly is just coming back down to Earth. Orlando is a sinking, burning ship.

giri

Stan will never play Ish. Its obvious that bad point guard play is his fetish.
Dwight hasn't been forcefed in his entire career. Why would it happen now?
Wafer will continue to ride pine for sharing the same name as a cookie.

At least Philly is just coming back down to Earth. Orlando is a sinking, burning ship.

Yeah, Orlando is a mess from the outside.

Particularly the recent SVG rumors will hurt the locker room more. Every bit of good will gained by re-signing, Dwight lost when that stuff went to press.

The last time Orlando fed Dwight, he had 50pt's by half time, then the magic collectively shat the bed against Atlanta in the second half and went on to lose the series.

giri

I don't think there was as much consensus with Thabeet being terrible as Shelden Williams.

I think there was.

The only one crazy enough to think he might turn into something is charsace, and even then i'm not sure he said good things about thabeet..

Most positive comments about the thabeet pick were "i'm glad memphis took him so my horrible GM can't".

Talon

I think there was.

The only one crazy enough to think he might turn into something is charsace, and even then i'm not sure he said good things about thabeet..

Most positive comments about the thabeet pick were "i'm glad memphis took him so my horrible GM can't".
This was more an indictment of Shelden and that dumbfuck Billy Knight than support for Hasheem.

jjasper

I remember when Memphis took Thabeet , Hollins was asked why they didnt take Rubio, his answer:

"What am I gonna do with Rubio?"

My guess is not trade him to Houston for peanuts.
The amount of players we have passed on or traded away because of Hollins love for Conley is sickening.

Barrage

I agree Mayo needs out. And it seems that Memphis is perfectly content to let him walk.

I think he could thrive, as long as he goes to a team that knows his strengths and doesn't overpay him to be a cornerstone (ala Ben Gordon in Detroit). Maybe go to Philly, finiish out the Iggy era.

exarkun

This video is how i feel whenever i watch gasol/bynum and the lakers every night. LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZrVRU5G2dg&feature=relmfu

EDIT: Holy crap metta is a gold mine of funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=yT9Ot7PvNpk#t=82s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTdnuh-hYAc&feature=relmfu

damn, i kind of love how MWP is now treating Artest as a separate personality. I think he needs to change his name since Artest could get things done.

Top Bottom