• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Apr |OT| Presented By Unicef and Feed The Children, Fuk Yo Hunger Clown.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Dwyane Wade is such a douchebag, so that doesn't surprise me. But I am surprised at Ray.

That's why I'm actually looking at seriously. Ray doesn't just shit wind.

I think the NBA may be one of the few sports associations not getting anything directly back. I don't necessarily believe they should for the sake of morality and fuckstern, but I think there is discussion to be had.

giri

Are you pre-mad about how Kyrie will turn heel on Australia's team once he gets a Team USA invite?

But its definitely not an American thing. Euro clubs from futbol to basketball, as well as all baseball teams worldwide, have believed that some form of compensation is fair practice.

Uhh, no, soccer teams don't get compensation, nor do Rugby Union.

Its built into the contracts that the clubs sign with the ruling body, that they will make their players available for international play, during certain periods. Those periods include every world cup (those sports, olympics) and a bunch of others "international windows".

The clubs get nothing for this.

Those players DO get paid, but they aren't playing at the olympics. I believe none of AU's swimmers get paid for going to the olympics in particular, that's left up to them to get endorsements for.

I agree with this. Guys should be all nationalistic and stuff, but they should get a cut outside of exposure as well.

Also, teams should get some sort of insurance or compensation for international players as well.
The money made off of the big programs helps to support the smaller sports. Same thing as college.

DY_nasty

Uhh, no, soccer teams don't get compensation, nor do Rugby Union.

Its built into the contracts that the clubs sign with the ruling body, that they will make their players available for international play, during certain periods. Those periods include every world cup (those sports, olympics) and a bunch of others "international windows".

The clubs get nothing for this.

Those players DO get paid, but they aren't playing at the olympics. I believe none of AU's swimmers get paid for going to the olympics in particular, that's left up to them to get endorsements for.
The clubs don't have some sort of insurance?

And soccer definitely has some form of this. They way they loan out players is a cash cow in itself.

Not sure about swimming... I have no clue at all if they even have a governing body or oversight entity similar to that of tennis or anything. But due to the nature of that sport, it'd have to be handled differently.

Emwitus

So wait it's ok to hammer professional ball playrrs about their personal life..see Iverson, Allen but the media is off limits? Bullshit..gtfo with that mamby pamby bullshit.
'

Who said anything about the media being off limits? This is among collegues in a freaking work place dude. You gtfriko.

DY_nasty

The money made off of the big programs helps to support the smaller sports. Same thing as college.

I don't think that's a fair analogy. Olympics committees (and bureaucratic bs) has a lot more to do with the handling of smaller sports than the amount of money that bigger sports draw. Its not like a D1's football team essentially funding it's women's field lacrosse crew. The Olympics is on a much bigger scale...

he has a ring.*

Correct.

So FT parades constitute an asterisk now???

No but
stern.jpg

referees.jpg

giri

The clubs don't have some sort of insurance?

And soccer definitely has some form of this. They way they loan out players is a cash cow in itself.

Not sure about swimming... I have no clue at all if they even have a governing body or oversight entity similar to that of tennis or anything. But due to the nature of that sport, it'd have to be handled differently.

FINA i beleive is the international swimming body.

And the clubs insure the players, not the national teams.

Just like in the NBA.

And in sports where players are paid for national team honors, its certainly taken a lot more seriously than most NBA players take their national team duties. Wade and Allen want to rock up for 3 months every 4 years and get a pay day?

Come the fuck on.

Compare that to union where players finish their club season (after probably having had international duties during the season) and are then expected to attend training and go on tour for an additional 3 - 4 months of the year. Every year.

I mean, i get it, the US Olympic team will probably make money off the back of these guys in some indirect fashion. Not through ticket sales or anything, but merchandise / PR events. Most of that will more than likely go back into other Olympic sports that don't make money. Hockey, rowing archery. All that stuff.

It's not like it's the NCAA.

SUPREME1

Banned
The amatuer aspect of the Olympics is what makes the games more intriguing to me. These (usually) young and struggling athletes make huge sacrifices in life just for a chance to compete at the games. Once professionals were allowed to compete, it fundamentally changed how the games work. But to now start compensating athletes, especially ones who are already millionaires, as this were their regular jobs, it just tarnishes the spirit of the games.

Insurance seems logical. No issue there. Compensation should be kept in check though. I'd hate for these players to get paid a lot of money, just because it's what they are accustomed to in the NBA. Give them a flat $10K and call it a day. As a matter of fact, just give that same $10K to every athlete who participates in the games... whether it be the world famous gold medalists or the guy who finished last in an event nobody watched.

DY_nasty

FINA i beleive is the international swimming body.

And the clubs insure the players, not the national teams.

Just like in the NBA.

And in sports where players are paid for national team honors, its certainly taken a lot more seriously than most NBA players take their national team duties. Wade and Allen want to rock up for 3 months every 4 years and get a pay day?

Come the fuck on.

Compare that to union where players finish their club season (after probably having had international duties during the season) and are then expected to attend training and go on tour for an additional 3 - 4 months of the year. Every year.

I mean, i get it, the US Olympic team will probably make money off the back of these guys in some indirect fashion. Not through ticket sales or anything, but merchandise / PR events. Most of that will more than likely go back into other Olympic sports that don't make money. Hockey, rowing archery. All that stuff.

It's not like it's the NCAA.
The main reasons I say that they should be compensated is because the toll from playing basketball year round is on the extreme end when compared to other sports. Also, if someone is going to be making money off you, I believe that you should be entitled to something for it. It only "works" in the WNBA because those players get shafted from the start.

Insurance in the NBA is a contract by contract thing too.

And the Olympics is not that hurt for money... still, I don't think that they should be paid by the Olympic committee or anything like that. There are enough 3rd parties out there that could make it work. Whether it be the Olympics, FIBA, or general tours.

DY_nasty

The amatuer aspect of the Olympics is what makes the games more intriguing to me. These (usually) young and struggling athletes make huge sacrifices in life just for a chance to compete at the games. Once professionals were allowed to compete, it fundamentally changed how the games work. But to now start compensating athletes, especially ones who are already millionaires, as this were their regular jobs, it just tarnishes the spirit of the games.

Insurance seems logical. No issue there. Compensation should be kept in check though. I'd hate for these players to get paid a lot of money, just because it's what they are accustomed to in the NBA. Give them a flat $10K and call it a day. As a matter of fact, just give that same $10K to every athlete who participates in the games... whether it be the world famous gold medalists or the guy who finished last in an event nobody watched.
Pretty much all I'm saying.

SoulPlaya

more money than God

I like that concept.

I figured it out. Collins has always said that he never benches just one guy that way it doesn't look like it's his fault...so he benched Hawes with Turner.

Hawes was playing like shit so that made sense...BUT if you look further..you find some stuff.

http://tweetwood.com/conversation/spencerhawes00/thekidet

Hawes and Turner watched Wrestlemania together.

Which means Turner has actualy friends and doesn't hate his life.

Doug can't have this, so Hawes will pay for this by getting benched as well.

Turner's life must be a miserable as possible.

It's the only excuse.

giri

The main reasons I say that they should be compensated is because the toll from playing basketball year round is on the extreme end when compared to other sports. Also, if someone is going to be making money off you, I believe that you should be entitled to something for it. It only "works" in the WNBA because those players get shafted from the start.

Insurance in the NBA is a contract by contract thing too.

And the Olympics is not that hurt for money... still, I don't think that they should be paid by the Olympic committee or anything like that. There are enough 3rd parties out there that could make it work. Whether it be the Olympics, FIBA, or general tours.

If the toll on their body is so great, then don't play.

But if you think the NBA guys should get a token 10k payment, then EVERY athlete should. Not just those guys.

giri

For the first time ever, i agree with all of a John Hollinger Article.

He's spot on about Tyson. Guy has been the knicks best player this year too.

giga

Of course people at non-profits get paid. The people who run this shit have lives too. Administrative expenses constitute a minority share of what the USOC's expenses though.

You're free to see their balance sheet and earnings reports: http://www2.teamusa.org/About-the-USOC/Organization/Financial.aspx

Excess revenues are put back into the organization for the purpose of supporting both amateur and professional U.S. athletes. They don't exist to make money off athletes. Excluding international competition like the Olympics, Paralympics, and Pan American games, things like training centers, events, education, student programs, and so on are all supported by the USOC.

Amare was playing good defense before he got hurt. Not sure if it's good for melo with spacing though. I think they need to figure that out but we cold use some more offense as you can see in yesterdays game.

Top Bottom