• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Apr |OT| Presented By Unicef and Feed The Children, Fuk Yo Hunger Clown.

Alrix

outside of those ten games, he's been an above average player at best.

either way, he has proven that he can't share a court with carmelo and that'll be the biggest hurdle going into next year by far. i don't know why so many have forgotten that the Knicks wouldn't even be thinking about the playoffs if it weren't for him - the talk about improved defense, so and so stepping up, "gelling", and all the other tier 2 stuff does nothing but take away from the guy who they burnt out and used up without a second thought.

I don't consider "above average" to be a bad thing for a guy getting his first real taste of NBA playing time.

I don't think he's proven he can't share a court with Melo, yet. When together they lost 6 in a row, and then won 6 of 7. I need a bigger sample size before I believe the talk that they can't play together. And I know we wouldn't be in the playoffs if not for him. I keep JLin in my heart every day and wish for some kind of miracle where he'll play again this season. He isn't burnt out, though. As far as I know his injury wasn't one caused by overuse.

blake-on-ibaka-o.gif

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I don't consider "above average" to be a bad thing for a guy getting his first real taste of NBA playing time.

I don't think he's proven he can't share a court with Melo, yet. When together they lost 6 in a row, and then won 6 of 7. I need a bigger sample size before I believe the talk that they can't play together. And I know we wouldn't be in the playoffs if not for him. I keep JLin in my heart every day and wish for some kind of miracle where he'll play again this season. He isn't burnt out, though. As far as I know his injury wasn't one caused by overuse.
They don't play well together. The offensive efficiency has always been 1) Lin 2) Melo 3) Lin/Melol - guys have even posted the numbers here for that as well. The benefit of the season is that the shitty East gets to play the shitty East all the time and not only do a team's faults get hidden, the entire conference's faults are hidden. Its almost hilarious how bad the East is when compared to the West.

And regarding injuries... how many are blatant laid out as "this injury was caused by overuse!"? None. It should be obvious that when you take a guy that's never played significant minutes then run him into the dirt that the injury was caused by wear and tear in one form or another.

I like Lin, I always have, but NY ran him into the dirt with their BS. They were more concerned about banking off the guy than getting their team together and on the same page.
What's it like to look forward to the draft every year?
It gives me stability.

I like Lin, I always have, but NY ran him into the dirt with their BS. They were more concerned about banking off the guy than getting their team together and on the same page.
Who was playing PG for the Knicks if it wasn't Lin? Corpse of Bibby? Toney "No confidence" D? B Diddy?

D'Antoni rode Lin into the ground to save his job and to use as an "ally" against Carmelo. Woodson at least tried to limit Lin to 32-35 a night. Get it straight.

giri

BTW, i think lin and melo can share a court.

Melo played with billups at a really high level for years.

I just don't think Mike D knew how to use a wing player with a PG.

If he had have found Lin while Stat was healthy (i.e. last year), they probably don't do the melo trade, or melo is coming off the bench.

But i think that they can co-exist quite easily. But as has been seen, melo isn't (nor is ANY player) effecient if he only gets his touches as "well, we pissed around for 17 seconds, now there's only 7 left, have the ball now, and you know, do stuff!"

Alrix

They don't play well together. The offensive efficiency has always been 1) Lin 2) Melo 3) Lin/Melol - guys have even posted the numbers here for that as well. The benefit of the season is that the shitty East gets to play the shitty East all the time and not only do a team's faults get hidden, the entire conference's faults are hidden. Its almost hilarious how bad the East is when compared to the West.

And regarding injuries... how many are blatant laid out as "this injury was caused by overuse!"? None. It should be obvious that when you take a guy that's never played significant minutes then run him into the dirt that the injury was caused by wear and tear in one form or another.

I like Lin, I always have, but NY ran him into the dirt with their BS. They were more concerned about banking off the guy than getting their team together and on the same page

I still don't buy it until we see more games with them together. Melo was playing bad with ANYONE up until he finally showed up for the season 2 weeks ago (when Lin and Amar'e went down). I'm not saying GodMelo of the past few weeks will average 30 with Amar'e and Lin back. But even the times he got 20 before, it was ugly and on shitty %. I'm just going to hold judgments on the whole "Lin/Melo/Amar'e can't play together" until they get some real time together. Sadly that's been hard as fuck to come by this season.

Fair enough about the injury. I just always thought stress fractures and tendinitis were the "omg overuse" injuries.

I had a boss moment at work today.

Some asshole walked into my work area while I was texting on my break and said "That doesn't look like work."

So I calming pressed the power button on my phone, placed it on my desk, crossed my arms leaned in and said while looking into his eyes, "How exactly would you know what work looks like?"

I broke his soul.

If he had have found Lin while Stat was healthy (i.e. last year), they probably don't do the melo trade, or melo is coming off the bench.

But i think that they can co-exist quite easily. But as has been seen, melo isn't (nor is ANY player) effecient if he only gets his touches as "well, we pissed around for 17 seconds, now there's only 7 left, have the ball now, and you know, do stuff!"

Lol @ Melo coming off the bench.

Emwitus

Words that should not be uttered.

SAN ANTONIO -- Before he changed his name to Metta World Peace, the Los Angeles Lakers forward was considering an even bigger life decision: retiring from the NBA.

After scoring a season-high 26 points on 10-for-15 shooting in Wednesday's 98-84 win over the San Antonio Spurs, World Peace told reporters that he was playing through a lumbar disorder in his lower back last season. The back pain, specifically affecting his L4 and L5 vertebrae, was also limiting the range of motion in his legs and feet, severely limiting his jumping ability.

"I just thought my body was maybe messed up," World Peace said. "I was like, 'Yeah, 15 years is a lot of years. I got two more years on my contract and I could potentially be done.'"

World Peace was having trouble getting lift, even on wide-open layup attempts.

"It controls your foot, the downward motion," World Peace said. "So, if L4 and L5 is not working, or is compressed or inflamed, you might try to jump, but your foot, it's not going to move. It's not going to react."

World Peace was directed to a nerve doctor by Lakers trainer Gary Vitti after the Lakers were dismissed from the playoffs in embarrassing fashion in a sweep by the Dallas Mavericks in the second round. Just as embarrassing for World Peace were the career-low numbers he put up across the board, including averaging fewer than 10 points per game for the first time in his 12-year career.

Even though the problem was identified in May, the NBA lockout that started July 1 and lasted until early December prevented World Peace from approaching a rehab program with Vitti's and Lakers head physical therapist Judy Seto's guidance, as team employees were banned by the league from having any contact with players during the work stoppage.

Consequently, World Peace came into training camp 25 to 30 pounds overweight, according to estimates by the Lakers coaching staff, with work still to be done on his back. Also, World Peace had still not given up the notion of retirement, telling ESPNLosAngeles.com that he had contacted the National Basketball Players Association about retirement protocol should he not be able to play because of his back or if the Lakers decided to implement their amnesty provision on the three years and approximately $22 million remaining on his contract.

It was a gradual improvement for World Peace. He started the season on the bench and even received a DNP-CD early on in the year from new Lakers coach Mike Brown. His season averages coming into Wednesday -- 6.7 points on 38.0 percent shooting from the field, 29.1 percent on 3-pointers and 58.1 percent from the foul line -- are even lower than they were a year ago, but he's showed considerable strides as the season has worn on. In 16 games in the month of January, World Peace averaged 3.6 points on 27.5 percent shooting. In seven games in April, World Peace is averaging 14.3 points on 54.2 percent shooting from the field.

"Now I'm getting in more shape every day," said World Peace. He sticks to a diet free of processed food and also works in extra workouts when possible, working up a full sweat with Lakers strength and conditioning coach Tim DiFrancesco in the Suns' weight room following the Lakers' loss to Phoenix last weekend, for instance.

"I was top-10 once upon a time in this league and I took a quick drop-off," World Peace said. "Like, that's just not normal. Now that I'm taking care of my body, I don't know. I don't know what could happen now. But, I'll just keep working hard and see where it takes me."

World Peace estimated that because of the help of the Lakers training staff, he has more dunks this season than in his past four seasons combined.

"They set me up with a great program and I've been jumping, rebounding and, wow," World Peace said.

Added Brown: "He's extremely engaged. … He's locked in right now."

The Lakers are 8-5 this season when World Peace scores 10 or more points.

"I don't know where I was supposed to be at now in my career, but I'm going to keep working hard and I'm going to see," World Peace said.

He could still be the target of the Lakers' amnesty clause moving forward. The Lakers held off on using it during the preseason and will have it at their disposal this offseason should they want to shed the nearly $15 million owed to World Peace over the next two seasons from the books. But should that occur, retirement will not likely cross World Peace's mind.

"That's why I love the words 'don't give up,'" World Peace said.

Damn, didn't know he was having such a major back problem. He kept that completely under wraps.

Perhaps it really does explain why he was so bad. Also, 25-30lbs overweight, lol. At least he seems to have played himself back into shape.

J2 Cool

Artest has had some great games in recent weeks. I think this Kobe injury is a really good thing, he'll be fresh for the playoffs and maybe reclaim his January form.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!

F&@k that Melo played with AI at a high level..

h3ro

Not really. JR is a mentally challenged, Jeffries plays like an infant, Fields can't knock down a jump shot, Novak is one dimensional, Baron and Bibby are walking corpses, TD and Bill Walker are borderline D-League players. Lin is overrated and will get figured out sooner than later. I'll take Dragic over him any day of the week. The only players I like are Chandler, Melo, Amare, and Shumpert.

I agree with this post.

I think Lin can be competent, which is miles ahead of what we've had (bar Chauncey, I guess) for the past few years. But yeah, Dragic.

linsivvi

How does that work, anyway? Is it total points, or PPG with a minimum number of games played?

PPG with a minimum number of games. So Kobe resting up for the playoffs is a good thing. He won't have to force up x number of shots to get his 30 points.

Damn, didn't know he was having such a major back problem. He kept that completely under wraps.

Perhaps it really does explain why he was so bad. Also, 25-30lbs overweight, lol. At least he seems to have played himself back into shape.

We all know he reported to camp out of shape though. Remember when he refused to show his abs and he made a joke about it?

8-5 when Metta scores more than 10? Not so sure if that stat is something to be proud of...

Yeah that sounds like the Lakers winning percentage this season. I don't know why the writer bothered to include such a stat at all.

Talon

David West - assaulting mascots
This was a dogfight -- playfully and literally.

During pregame introductions, West got into a mock fight with Moondog, the Cavs' floppy-eared mascot, who often interacts and teases opposing players. West accidentally struck the character in the mask, sending him to the hospital with an eye injury.

"I feel terrible about that, I really do," said West, who was visibly upset. "We were just having fun. We were just messing around. I really hope he's OK. Make sure he knows I'm sorry."

A Cavs spokesman said the mascot was checked out and released.

Hibbert thought Moondog was joking when he went down holding the head of his costume.

"For real?" Hibbert said. "We thought he (Moondog) was just playing when it happened. Oh man, that's crazy. I can't believe it happened. I've never heard anything like that in the NBA."

Lamar should spend the entirety of the summer and first few months of next season working on conditioning and his mid-range and outside jumpshot so he can transition to SF for the Lake show next year.

Top Bottom