• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Apr |OT| Presented By Unicef and Feed The Children, Fuk Yo Hunger Clown.

Canuck76

Banned
He was also a turnover machine and played second fiddle to Mike fucking Bibby last year

Maybe D-wade and Lebron should step it and not rely on Chalmers for 4th quater magic.

The fact that your bemoaning the quality of role players is hilarious. Chalmers isn't bad. Mike Miller, Haslem are both quality guys. You have three quality alpha guys in Lebron, Bosh, and D-wade. Don't tell me lack of freaking talent is the reason this team will lose.

Triple U

Banned
Maybe D-wade and Lebron should step it and not rely on Chalmers for 4th quater magic.

The fact that your bemoaning the quality of role players is hilarious. Chalmers isn't bad. Mike Miller, Haslem are both quality guys. You have three quality alpha guys in Lebron, Bosh, and D-wade. Don't tell me lack of freaking talent is the reason this team will lose.

The last game vs the bulls, the highest scorer outside the three was 4 points. And that went OT.

The Cavaliers of LeBron James and Mike Brown were unreal in crunch time, leading the league by a hefty margin for three straight years, with the best performances of any teams in the record. It's easy to see that LeBron James matters here -- once he left for Miami the Cavaliers’ plus/minus plummeted. The Cavs averaged plus-113 with James during those three seasons, and plus one in the two seasons since. Meanwhile, before James, the Heat weren't good in crunch time, but have since become very solid.

Mike Brown emerges as an interesting character in crunch time. With James in Cleveland three straight years, and now in Los Angeles after a year off, his teams led the league by this metric every year he has coached in the last half-decade. In this period, neither team has been as good with other coaches, either.

The Lakers have by far the best crunch time plus/minus this season (plus-79, the Pacers are second at plus-65). Pau Gasol (plus-78) has been their biggest individual star, followed closely by Andrew Bynum (plus-74). Kobe Bryant ranks third at plus-58. The Lakers achieved this number with the NBA's second-best clutch offense (behind the Magic) and the eighth-best defense.

Three teams have shone for five straight years: The Lakers, Celtics and Magic. The Nuggets are flirting with joining that club, too.

Superstars matter. Or, at least some do. LeBron James, Derrick Rose, Dirk Nowitzki, Kobe Bryant and Chris Paul almost always end the season positive in this regard -- the only exceptions are Paul and Nowitzki this year, which could still change. Other big names, like Kevin Durant, Tim Duncan, Carmelo Anthony and Dwyane Wade have had more mixed results.

Good teams in general do well in crunch time. The top six teams in crunch time plus/minus this season have already locked up playoff spots, for instance (Lakers, Pacers, Hawks, Magic, Spurs and Bulls). But it's hardly a perfect correlation. In fact, surely a lot of what we're seeing in this chart appears to be simple randomness. The Pacers, terrible for a long time, are suddenly leaders. The Kings are excellent crunch time defenders this season. The Hawks are a solid team that is way better than solid late in games. And plenty of good teams -- the Sixers, the Knicks -- are pretty bad with the game on the line.

Over the past half-decade, just two teams, the Knicks and Timberwolves, haven't had a single season in positive territory.

The top ten late-game offensive teams this season are the Magic, Lakers, Grizzlies, Bulls, Hawks, Pacers, Rockets, Thunder, Spurs and Knicks.

The Pacers are by far this season's best defensive team late in close games. They are followed by the Hawks, Kings (!), Spurs, Heat, Magic, Bulls, Lakers, Thunder and Clippers.
The Dallas Mavericks have been very good for the last five years, but also have had the biggest drop-off in crunch time performance, from a league-leading plus-117 last season to an anemic minus-16 this season.

The Hawks have been good in crunch time for four straight years.

The Spurs and Thunder have been up and down.

The Houston Rockets (plus-31) and Memphis Grizzlies (plus-28) are the best crunch time teams this season that have yet to lock up a playoff spot. The Los Angeles Clippers (minus-9) are the only playoff team with a negative clutch plus/minus.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/40886/outscoring-opponents-in-the-clutch

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Magic offensive rating for the last 5 games: 108.7. The offensive rating for the entire season: 102.6.

Magic defensive rating for the last 5 games: 103.4. The defensive rating for the entire season: 101.0.

Just saying.

Man these playoffs are gonna be nuts.

Despite the lockout every relevant team is healthy right now. I really hope it stays that way.

I feel like this is the most excited I've been in a looong time. Not just for my team, but for the NBA. Other than some East matchups, every pairing is super interesting and frankly most could go either way.

Can't wait.

Talon

Despite the lockout every relevant team is healthy right now. I really hope it stays that way.

I feel like this is the most excited I've been in a looong time. Not just for my team, but for the NBA. Other than some East matchups, every pairing is super interesting and frankly most could go either way.

Can't wait.
Judging by coverage, you'd have no idea San Antonio is leading the west.

T Dollarz

Can't wait.

I felt the same way going into last year's. Two solid seasons.

SoulPlaya

more money than God

Can't wait.
Stealth dig at Bulls? You sonofabitch!

Stealth dig at Bulls? You sonofabitch!

I'm confident Rose & Deng are fine.

Same with Kobe.

I felt the same way going into last year's. Two solid seasons.

Last season was close. It was no 09, where everyone and their mother (even the champs!) had major injury woes, but Manu breaking his arm the last game of the regular season really tainted things. Especially for me obviously.

h3ro

Regarding TUESDAY NIGHT KNICKS, I foresee a close back and forth game that's chippy and filled with KG passionbag moves. In the fourth, the Knicks will go ahead on a miraculous Melo shot with around 5 seconds to go, followed promptly by a Pierce dagger and syphon, masud and I quickly committing sudoku.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Can't wait.

That's funny. Magic are missing Dwight + Hedo + Big Baby right now.

Doesn't matter though since the Magic are better off without those guys anyway.

Can't wait.

East coast will be asleep for all the Bestern Conference goodness.

Fuck California though, you have stolen all the good weather. If games started 6.30 locally, would you really be mad? Make that sacrifice for the right coast.

Playoffs are the time where I missed the old tv deal. TNT/TBS both with doubleheaders used to be boss.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Bobcats fans at RealGM talking about taking Beal if we drop to 3 or 4 lolololololololol

SUPREME1

Banned
LeBron passed Pippen in career points scored already, that's pretty insane.

LeBron has been the number 1 option for something like 8 or 9 years. Pippen played behind MJ for around the same amount of time.

LeBron would have to play 30 seasons though, to equal the amount of defense Scottie provided.

: P

Vahagn

Thats another dumb article by the stat guys at ESPN. The last 5 minutes includes everything from tight games to blowouts by that math. When you blow people out, and they put their second unit on the floor, that will be a blowout too.

In addition, teams that are playing from ahead, usually get more points in the last minute of a game because they get free points just for foul shots...sometimes up to 6-8 points in the final minute of a game.

Anyone who's watched the Heat the past two seasons knows that they're asstastic in the most clutch situations in the last 2 years.

You can really see the over-inflation of the blowouts in these stats with the Lakers 08-09 numbers compared to the numbers from 2010. In 08-09 we rarely played any close games, and in 2010 Kobe hit 6 or 7 game winners by himself yet the 08-09 numbers tower over the 2010 numbers in that graphic.

It, like most of the drivel that Abbott puts out, gets refuted by simple common sense.

Top Bottom