• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Apr |OT| Presented By Unicef and Feed The Children, Fuk Yo Hunger Clown.

Gabyskra

Banned
Regarding TUESDAY NIGHT KNICKS, I foresee a close back and forth game that's chippy and filled with KG passionbag moves. In the fourth, the Knicks will go ahead on a miraculous Melo shot with around 5 seconds to go, followed promptly by a Pierce dagger and syphon, masud and I quickly committing sudoku.

I'm not sure if I want the Heat or the Bulls.

LeBron has been the number 1 option for something like 8 or 9 years. Pippen played behind MJ for around the same amount of time.

LeBron would have to play 30 seasons though, to equal the amount of defense Scottie provided.

: P

scottie was born with balls of steal.
you can't teach that to a crunch time fearing, egotistical, hairline receding maniac.

charsace

Beal is stronger, tougher, quicker, and smarter than Lamb and is way more skilled than MKG.

He isn't quicker than Lamb nor is he smarter. He had a better team that's about it. Lamb is the better athlete, bigger, better shooter, better perimeter defender and better scorer overall. Beal is easily the most overrated guy in this draft. A shooter that didn't shoot well and is a poor shooting on the move.

Flash

Thats another dumb article by the stat guys at ESPN. The last 5 minutes includes everything from tight games to blowouts by that math. When you blow people out, and they put their second unit on the floor, that will be a blowout too.

In addition, teams that are playing from ahead, usually get more points in the last minute of a game because they get free points just for foul shots...sometimes up to 6-8 points in the final minute of a game.

Anyone who's watched the Heat the past two seasons knows that they're asstastic in the most clutch situations in the last 2 years.

You can really see the over-inflation of the blowouts in these stats with the Lakers 08-09 numbers compared to the numbers from 2010. In 08-09 we rarely played any close games, and in 2010 Kobe hit 6 or 7 game winners by himself yet the 08-09 numbers tower over the 2010 numbers in that graphic.

It, like most of the drivel that Abbott puts out, gets refuted by simple common sense.

They had a segment with him and someone else (forgot who) on these finding they were going on about how this is "overwhelming evidence" that LeBron is in fact a clutch player. lol wut.

Don't get me wrong, as much as I don't like the guy he's easily the most talented players in the league. But for the most part, he's god awful in the clutch and all you need to do to find that out is actually watch games.

Why didn't these guys check the stats for the last minute, last 30 seconds, and so on? Wouldn't that be more indicative of "clutch" situations? I'm guessing because the findings didn't serve their agenda.

Flash

Bulls, definitely. Last year the Heat showed up for the playoffs (not including the finals) and they were deadly as hell. And they are going to be very motivated because if they don't win this year, I'm expecting that team to self destruct in the off season.

Bulls with Rose have been mediocre and I wouldn't count on their spectacular bench during the playoffs when shit slows down and becomes more strategic. BUT we gotta keep in mind that Rose's bad play during the playoffs last year was due to fatigue from being over played in the regular season.... this season he's had quite a bit of rest, especially as of late. So if he shows up during the playoffs injury free and back to form (doubtful), they might cause quite a bit of trouble in the east.

Vahagn

They had a segment with him and someone else (forgot who) on these finding they were going on about how this is "overwhelming evidence" that LeBron is in fact a clutch player. lol wut.

Don't get me wrong, as much as I don't like the guy he's easily the most talented players in the league. But for the most part, he's god awful in the clutch and all you need to do to find that out is actually watch games.

Why didn't these guys check the stats for the last minute, last 30 seconds, and so on? Wouldn't that be more indicative of "clutch" situations? I'm guessing because the findings didn't serve their agenda.

This last 5 minute obsession that some stat guys came up with, really has no bearing on whether games are close or not, or whether Lebron James is even on the floor during those blowouts. A much easier, and better statistic, would be combinations of what we already have:

1) Team record in games decided by 3 points of less

2) FG% and shots made in game winning and tying situations in final 5-10 seconds

3) FT% in same situation

If they wanted to really be attached to their last 5 minutes or less mantra, we can do point differential in last 5 minutes for games decided by 3 points or less

But even with these numbers...Lebron would be getting credit for wins that D Wade brought when Lebron deferred throughout the fourth. At the end of the day, the simple eye test tells everyone who watches that Lebron is not a consistently willing or successful participant in clutch end game situations

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Anyone see Rose complaining about being famous today? Dude has been on a bitching spree
You should probably not base your news on Twitter. It was from a GQ interview that he did a while ago, and he wasn't "bitching". He just said that he wasn't used to all the attention that he gets now, and that he valued his down time. That's all.

Flash

This last 5 minute obsession that some stat guys came up with, really has no bearing on whether games are close or not, or whether Lebron James is even on the floor during those blowouts. A much easier, and better statistic, would be combinations of what we already have:

1) Team record in games decided by 3 points of less

2) FG% and shots made in game winning and tying situations in final 5-10 seconds

3) FT% in same situation

If they wanted to really be attached to their last 5 minutes or less mantra, we can do point differential in last 5 minutes for games decided by 3 points or less

From the article: "Using NBA.com data from the last five years (current as of today), from games within five points in the final five minutes of the fourth quarter or overtime, Trevor Ebaugh of ESPN Stats & Info. dug in and created this pretty Tableau table: "

So for the most part, blow outs were probably excluded (unless of course the game turned into a blow out within the last 5 minutes).

Alrix

Really tough call. I think we might have a better shot against the Bulls, especially if Rose doesn't shake the rust off by then. But a part of me WANTS a series with Miami worse than anything, because if we pull off the upset it would be glorious. Memories of '99 <3

giri

Damn, didn't realise, LBJ is 28 this year. He's only got 4 - 6 more years of prime left.

He doesn't win this year, then i can't see him getting more rings than MJ. And will struggle to catch Kobe.

There's that and there's the fact that LBJ is alot better.

If we're picking teams, i take pippen.

You should probably not base your news on Twitter. It was from a GQ interview that he did a while ago, and he wasn't "bitching". He just said that he wasn't used to all the attention that he gets now, and that he valued his down time. That's all.
http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/stor...bulls-derrick-rose-uncomfortable-dealing-fame

I read the quotes from there. I can understand why he might be bugged, because it doesn't fit his personality. He was still complaining.

Thats another dumb article by the stat guys at ESPN. The last 5 minutes includes everything from tight games to blowouts by that math. When you blow people out, and they put their second unit on the floor, that will be a blowout too.

Blowouts are not included...it's "crunch time." within 5 points...

In addition, teams that are playing from ahead, usually get more points in the last minute of a game because they get free points just for foul shots...sometimes up to 6-8 points in the final minute of a game.

Making FTs is a component of being clutch.

Anyone who's watched the Heat the past two seasons knows that they're asstastic in the most clutch situations in the last 2 years.

They've actually been excellent in the clutch versus crappy teams, but asstastic in the super crunch time (final 24 seconds) versus most teams.

Did you know Miami is 6-1 in games that are 3 points or less this year?

If the Heat were down 5 with 3 min to go and lose by 1, they outscored the other team by 4 in that stretch, so that is positive on their crunch time numbers, although not enough to seal the deal.

Miami does perform in the crunch time, they're just terrible versus good teams in super crunch time.

You can really see the over-inflation of the blowouts in these stats with the Lakers 08-09 numbers compared to the numbers from 2010. In 08-09 we rarely played any close games, and in 2010 Kobe hit 6 or 7 game winners by himself yet the 08-09 numbers tower over the 2010 numbers in that graphic.

Except the data doesn't include any blowouts...

It only counts within 5 points under 5 minutes left...

a lot of people would create a championship team around pippen over lebron.
hell, i would.

being better in whatever relations doesn't really matter

Pippen got denounced for sitting out the end of a game because the last shot wasn't drawn up for him.

People say he wasn't being a team player and that's legitimate but he was a lot tougher than many gave him credit for.

Barkley would always fuck with Pippen because Pippen was considered mentally soft for a while but as the years went on, he showed that wasn't the case.

I thought his performance against the Jazz in Jordan's last game as a Bull was rather gutsy. He could barely walk.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
LeBron passed Pippen in career points scored already, that's pretty insane.

tumblr_ldwhghXsgO1qzyobqo1_500.png

SoulPlaya

more money than God
http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/stor...bulls-derrick-rose-uncomfortable-dealing-fame

I read the quotes from there. I can understand why he might be bugged, because it doesn't fit his personality. He was still complaining.
And? It was an interview that was done weeks ago, and they asked him about how he feels about the fame. He's a shy kid. Everyone knows that about him. He's not saying, "Fuck everyone cause I'm famous." He just said that he's not used to not being able to go where he wants to. "A shy kid from a fucked up neighborhood is now the most famous kid in his hometown" is the angle the writer was going with.

And? It was an interview that was done weeks ago, and they asked him about how he feels about the fame. He's a shy kid. Everyone knows that about him. He's not saying, "Fuck everyone cause I'm famous." He just said that he's not used to not being able to go where he wants to. "A shy kid from a fucked up neighborhood is now the most famous kid in his hometown" is the angle the writer was going with.
It was put up today so it was news to me.

Several articles with his complaints have come out in the past week or two. I found that funny.

LeBron needs to shave his head and beard, and get rid of the headband. He looks old as fuck right now.
You know what's going to be really funny? When Love loves the Wolves, and signs with the Bulls. Yeah, I went there! :p
I've been predicting that Love will leave for a while now, so that's not really a dis. We have incompetent management.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
LeBron needs to shave his head and beard, and get rid of the headband. He looks old as fuck right now.
I've been predicting that Love will leave for a while now, so that's not really a dis. We have incompetent management.
You're fucking right your feelings are hurt! Ha! I win!

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I have no clue how beal turned into a top 5 pick.

Its arguable that he wasn't even the best player on his team

Vahagn

My bad on misreading the blowout situation in relation to those metrics.

So Mamba, Miami is good in crunch time against teams they should blow out, and bad in crunch time against competent teams?

How is that an argument for their crunch time prowess?

charsace

Didn't Gordon have relatively poor shooting percentages at Indiana?

I'm more of a Lamb fan, btw.

Gordon's percentages(and that whole team) dropped off after Indiana fired the coach. Before they fired the coach Gordon was getting player of the year recognition. Anyone that watched Gordon knew what strengths he showed at the time. Gordon was a much better prospect than Beal.

My bad on misreading the blowout situation in relation to those metrics.

So Mamba, Miami is good in crunch time against teams they should blow out, and bad in crunch time against competent teams?

How is that an argument for their crunch time prowess?

No, they're good in crunch time (final 5 within 5), but bad in SUPER crunch time (final 24 seconds, shot to tie or take lead).

Miami down 5 vs Chicago doesn't usually lose by 10. Maybe by 1 or 2, but they close the gap.

They're good in crunch time because it's really hard to score on them. The point of this analysis is to throw defense into the mix.

An MRI conducted on Marc Gasol revealed a bone bruise on his left knee.

Gasol was injured in Sunday's road loss at New Orleans with what was initially diagnosed as a hyperextended left knee.

Gasol has no ligament or structural damage.

"It's all good. I'll be back as soon as possible," Gasol wrote on his Twitter page.

Gasol could be questionable for the rest of the week.

Huh.

Top Bottom