• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Apr |OT| Presented By Unicef and Feed The Children, Fuk Yo Hunger Clown.

charsace

Memo to NBA GMs: Draft Rivers and Drummond.

Drummonds will probably end up going second once workouts are through. There's always a few guys that get huge bumps because of workouts. Shumpert went from late second to late lotto because of workouts.

Athletic big guys almost never rise in workouts, that's a pretty major myth. GMs and scouts already know they're athletic and their combine results can't help them but their interviews can often hurt them.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Athletic big guys almost never rise in workouts, that's a pretty major myth. GMs and scouts already know they're athletic and their combine results can't help them but their interviews can often hurt them.

Unless their footwork shows something amazing...

Isn't a combine just to confirm the tape? And to see who's stupid enough to fuck up an interview obvi.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Isn't a combine just to confirm the tape? And to see who's stupid enough to fuck up an interview obvi.
He's right about bigs.

Combines help guards and wings more than anyone else. GMs tend to over-analyze things to the point of disproving the tape when it comes to guards and skill players in general.

DY_nasty

2011 draft>12
Not a chance. There aren't even a dozen guys worth talking about... usually it takes a solid two years for guys to get dismissed. The 2011 draft largely skipped that entire phase.

I'm trying to think of major stars that have come out of the draft in the last 4 years. Other than Griffin and Wall, I'm drawing a blank, and Wall is kind of a stretch at this point. I know it takes time for players to mature, but it seems like the talent overall just hasn't been as good.

DY_nasty

I'm trying to think of major stars that have come out of the draft in the last 4 years. Other than Griffin and Wall, I'm drawing a blank, and Wall is kind of a stretch at this point. I know it takes time for players to mature, but it seems like the talent overall just hasn't been as good.

It hasn't.

But the issue is that teams have been drafting for immediate stars instead of actually developing talent in many instances.

I don't know what you would define major stars to be. Cousins and Monroe and arguably Favors are better prospects and players than Wall at this point and Irving has greatly outplayed him and I think Valanciunas is going to be awesome in the NBA. And for the 2009 draft, Harden is pretty great and Rubio and Curry will be as well without injuries. 2009, 10, and 11 drafts weren't as good as 2003 or 2004 or 2008 (and the 11 draft was pretty shitty in general), but it's hard for each draft to reach that level.

Rubio, Harden, Curry
Cousins
Kyrie, Klay

There are probably a few others who are good enough to start and could be future all stars but those guys are from the top of my head.

DY_nasty

Klay? He gets his powers from being ugly and unloved. Once he finally gets some ass for being a legit NBA player, he'll drop to Meeks-tier.
I don't know what you would define major stars to be. Cousins and Monroe and arguably Favors are better prospects and players than Wall at this point and Irving has greatly outplayed him and I think Valanciunas is going to be awesome in the NBA. And for the 2009 draft, Harden is pretty great and Rubio and Curry will be as well without injuries.
Cousins could be a great player if he wasn't 8 years old mentally.

Rubio, Harden, Curry
Cousins
Kyrie, Klay

There are probably a few others who are good enough to start and could be future all stars but those guys are from the top of my head.

Yeah I forgot about Rubio and Harden. The rest are pretty iffy to me right now. Cousins just doesn't seem like much of a team player. I actually don't even know who Klay is. Still, it seems like there aren't a lot of talented big men at the very least.

DY_nasty

Yeah I forgot about Rubio and Harden. The rest are pretty iffy to me right now. Cousins just doesn't seem like much of a team player. I actually don't even know who Klay is. Still, it seems like there aren't a lot of talented big men at the very least.
The thing about Cousins is that even though he is immature as fuck he was right. Tyreke and Westphal are both clueless. And if his entire organization wasn't a complete mess, he'd probably be putting up fringe all-star numbers.

Monroe is a beast - but he's stuck playing with some pretty bad people too.

I'm big on Klay. You can tell he's an asshole but he has great movement off the ball and has great shooting form. He still needs work defensively, but I really think he could be a really good wing. If he commits I think he could be Rip with a better J and with his size he could even work other SGs in the post.

Wes Johnson was a lotto pick

Blackace

It hasn't.

But the issue is that teams have been drafting for immediate stars instead of actually developing talent in many instances.

I think drafting so young really hurts the NBA...

A lot of players would have gained so much from two to three years of college

I'm big on Klay. You can tell he's an asshole but he has great movement off the ball and has great shooting form. He still needs work defensively, but I really think he could be a really good wing. If he commits I think he could be Rip with a better J and with his size he could even work other SGs in the post.

Cousins is still a beast. He will mature in time.

Curry's shitty ankles have robbed him of his penetrating ability (not to mention he was super crafty around the rim). It's sad b/c he really has all the tools to be a great offensive PG. Wasn't high on Klay Thompson at the beginning of the season but he's really progressed nicely. At the very least, he'll be a solid 2 guard.

Blackace

I doubt he grows up much, but that isn't even necessary right KG?

He just needs a good/smart teammate to cool him down and reign him in. His situation in Sacramento is hurting his development.

Someone needs to be his Starbury

The thing about Cousins is that even though he is immature as fuck he was right. Tyreke and Westphal are both clueless. And if his entire organization wasn't a complete mess, he'd probably be putting up fringe all-star numbers.

Monroe is a beast - but he's stuck playing with some pretty bad people too.

All those double-doubles wasted due to shitty teammates. Shame.

I don't know that the last few years have really been bad for big men in the lottery

2010: Monroe, Cousins, Favors
2011: Valanciunas, Biyombo, Kanter
2012: Davis, Robinson, Drummond
2013: Probably Noel, Zeller, Adams

Seems like an OK stretch.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
tumblr_m1ws1oXKpE1qjhttjo1_500.gif

charsace

I don't know what you would define major stars to be. Cousins and Monroe and arguably Favors are better prospects and players than Wall at this point and Irving has greatly outplayed him and I think Valanciunas is going to be awesome in the NBA. And for the 2009 draft, Harden is pretty great and Rubio and Curry will be as well without injuries. 2009, 10, and 11 drafts weren't as good as 2003 or 2004 or 2008 (and the 11 draft was pretty shitty in general), but it's hard for each draft to reach that level.
If you look at how top 5 picks have developed over the years, Irving should end up being the top player in the NBA in 3 years based on the ridiculous efficiency he's put up this season. I can't think of a recent perimeter player that was this efficient in their rookie season. I highly doubt he will be the best in 3 years though.

Klay? He gets his powers from being ugly and unloved. Once he finally gets some ass for being a legit NBA player, he'll drop to Meeks-tier.

Cousins could be a great player if he wasn't 8 years old mentally.
Klay has my axe. Dude is representing for ugly men everywhere. He's a great marketing opportunity waiting to happen.

Blackace

If you look at how top 5 picks have developed over the years, Irving should end up being the top player in the NBA in 3 years based on the ridiculous efficiency he's put up this season. I can't think of a recent perimeter player that was this efficient in their rookie season. I highly doubt he will be the best in 3 years though.

Roy is the only player I can think of

thekad

Banned
Oden had the more dominating physique and was considered to be more skilled. He was compared to top ten all -time players like Duncan. Dwight definitely wasn't.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Oden was better offensively than Dwight, but that doesn't really say much.

rage1973

What injury history? One wrist injury? He had 25-12-4 against Noah and Horford in the title game and was completely dominant through high school and a good bit of college.

He needed two hip surgeries at young age and it resulted in one leg being longer than another. And it's the reason he runs with a permanent limp.

Top Bottom