• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Apr |OT| Presented By Unicef and Feed The Children, Fuk Yo Hunger Clown.

Gabyskra

Banned
I like how everyone thinks it's so noble not to tank. Spurs wouldn't have won anything if they didn't.

When did they tank? David Robinson was hurt that season. They signed Dominique to improve their team. They got Manu at the end of the draft, and Parker at the end of the first round.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Spurs clearly tanked for Duncan.

Without a HOF player, none of those other pieces fall into place in SA. Hell, Pop might be coaching in Milwaukee or something.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Spurs clearly tanked for Duncan.

Without a HOF player, none of those other pieces fall into place in SA. Hell, Pop might be coaching in Milwaukee or something.

There is knowing when to tank.. like when there is a Shaq or TD in the tank and then tanking like the Bobcats are doing.. Just like most of the franchise's existence they are doing it wrong..

Also, the Spurs have such great talent scouts.. they score big with late draft picks almost every year.. if they wouldn't have gotten TD who knows how they would look but if Pop got a fair shake there I am sure he would have put together a good squad

DY_nasty

There is knowing when to tank.. like when there is a Shaq or TD in the tank and then tanking like the Bobcats are doing.. Just like most of the franchise's existence they are doing it wrong..

Also, the Spurs have such great talent scouts.. they score big with late draft picks almost every year.. if they wouldn't have gotten TD who knows how they would look but if Pop got a fair shake there I am sure he would have put together a good squad

That's cold.

Suggesting we should sign middling free agents and re-sign mediocre talent with aspirations of a 6 seed and a 1st round upset.

We didn't ask for Bob Johnson.

giri

That's cold.

Suggesting we should sign middling free agents and re-sign mediocre talent with aspirations of a 6 seed and a 1st round upset.

We didn't ask for Bob Johnson.
You could also spend $126M on Joe Johnson.

besides, the brow could turn out to be quite good.

Biyombo still looks lost on O, but he seems to have it together on D. They could be an interesting pairing.

Then you only need to worry about getting starting level talent at 3 positions.

Gabyskra

Banned

Biyombo still looks lost on O, but he seems to have it together on D. They could be an interesting pairing.

Even with the highest odds, isn't there like a 75% possibility they don't get the first pick?

DY_nasty

I used to be mad about getting stuck with Henderson and missing out on Derozan, but I don't feel that way anymore. Mullens finally pulled his head out of his ass so he might turn into something decent if he ever decides to play defense and put a body on someone.

As for Biyombo... He's my favorite rookie in the entire class. The game obviously moves too fast for him on the offensive end (but he's 19!), but his defense is top-tier (and he's only 19!).

Kemba pisses me off for no other reason than being a complete fucking headcase. Most point guards have the issue of not seeing the court. His issue is that he doesn't want the court to see him. Dude is so concerned about doing everything perfect that he puts zero pressure on opposing defenses while in "omg they're looking at me" mode and he's become so passive and timid that he's completely forgotten that he can get by 90% of the defenders he'll see in the league. Its like looking at a rookie year, less talented, point guard version of LMA - you can't fix being a pussy. But because he's a lotto pick, he'll get all the attention in the world from the coaches and trainers when all he really needs is to delete his myspace.
Even with the highest odds, isn't there like a 75% possibility they don't get the first pick?
They don't even need the #1 pick. They needed to clean out those toxic contracts and get some talent on the team. I'd be happy with taking MKG or Robinson or whatever some pathetic team feels overpaying us to get Drummond.

h3ro

This is the wrong mentality. Knicks own the Pacers. Put yourself in position for a better matchup.

I dont understand how a fan or a player on the Knicks feel they have any chance vs Bulls or Heat.

Agreed, if the game was in reach. It wasn't going to happen last night. Amare was lost in the scheme and rustier than the Tin Man, the team was playing too poorly and I'd rather rest up Carmelo and Tyson in the fourth than risk injury to two vital guys who've had hampering injuries all season.

Of course I want to move up in the standings for a more favorable match up, but last night, it just wasn't going to happen.

jjasper

Not to mention everyone forgets Tim fucked up his knee the last few weeks of the season as well. He had a MAJOR drop off too. Spurs have 0 margin of error health wise, but we win that series against the Grizzlies if Tim and Manu were playing like they are right now.

Honestly I didn't think Timmy or Manu played that poorly. If anything it was Tony Parker and Richard Jefferson. Parker was absolutely horrible.

Emwitus

manubullet.gif

Can't hate on amazing! wow.

I can't believe I'm about to type this but....signing Diaw may been what made us a legit team. Not because he is so awesome, although he has been playing great. But Pop wouldn't start Splitter because that would make our big man reserves Bonner and Blair which would never work against teams like the Lakers and Grizz. Now, Pop can start Splitter and bring Diaw and Bonner off the bench. Not the best defensive combo, but all of a sudden the big men coming off the bench are just average or bad on defense instead of atrocious.

Gabyskra

Banned
I can't believe I'm about to type this but....signing Diaw may been what made us a legit team. Not because he is so awesome, although he has been playing great. But Pop wouldn't start Splitter because that would make our big man reserves Bonner and Blair which would never work against teams like the Lakers and Grizz. Now, Pop can start Splitter and bring Diaw and Bonner off the bench. Not the best defensive combo, but all of a sudden the big men coming off the bench are just average or bad on defense instead of atrocious.

That's overreacting considering how good the Spurs were already, but Diaw is a very good fit in every possible way. He's best buddy with TP, he loves to move the ball around and he has no expectation for himself right at the time when Pop changes his lineup all the time.

I think you're underrating Blair too.

T Dollarz

I feel like the Spurs are a better regular season team than they will be in the playoffs, simply because having a better bench than other teams will matter far less in the postseason. Like, if they were to play LAL in a series, with Kobe, Sessions, Bynum & Pau all getting playoff minutes, how can San Antonio match that? I just see the Lakers wearing them out. Same with OKC. Tony Parker will have to play out of his mind if they wanna make a run to the finals.

On another subject, so Anthony Davis is worth tanking for right? From what I saw, I think so. His game should translate well to the pros. What big man would you compare his potential to? I can't even think of anyone with his abilities really...

I feel like the Spurs are a better regular season team than they will be in the playoffs, simply because having a better bench than other teams will matter far less in the postseason. Like, if they were to play LAL in a series, with Kobe, Sessions, Bynum & Pau all getting playoff minutes, how can San Antonio match that? I just see the Lakers wearing them out. Same with OKC. Tony Parker will have to play out of his mind if they wanna make a run to the finals.

On another subject, so Anthony Davis is worth tanking for right? From what I saw, I think so. His game should translate well to the pros. What big man would you compare his potential to? I can't even think of anyone with his abilities really...

Deep bench team handled the Lakers just fine last season and won a title. Doesn't really matter as long as you've got good enough players.

Emwitus

Javale mcgee...lol, No, i'm serious. Mark my words people, 2 years from now, that guy will be the nuggets franchise player.

Emwitus

Deep bench team handled the Lakers just fine last season and won a title. Doesn't really matter as long as you've got good enough players.

I think everyone playing the lakers in the post season has watched the dallas/lakers tapes from last season and undergone season long drills on how to replicate that. Honestly, it was a dumb move moving away from the triangle and not making appropriate adjustment in the offseason. Gonna cost as big.

DY_nasty

This year's Lakers team has one of the strangest size advantages I've seen in recent memory. Never have two all-star 7 footers inspired so little confidence.

Emwitus

This year's Lakers team has one of the strangest size advantages I've seen in recent memory. Never have two all-star 7 footers inspired so little confidence.

LOL. Shoulda got rick aldeman....I mean, what were they thinking. System has won like 11 rings combined.

EDIT: And love looks so much better.

Derek Fisher rejects the NBPA executive committee call to step down as NBPA pres.

the article said:
Fisher sent a letter earlier this week to player reps informing them that the union's executive committee had decided the NBPA should undergo a business review, according to one Eastern Conference player representative. Several executive committee members, however, were surprised by the tone of the letter because the decision was not unanimous, another source said.

According to several sources, Hunter then contacted each committee member and convinced them the union already undergoes a regular internal audit and that Fisher's suggestion was both redundant and a personal attack on Hunter's leadership.

Internal audits? Lol

Fisher smells a rat and he wants to give the books another look. Considering how risky a move this is and how foolish he'd look if he's wrong, I've got to believe that Fish's on to something with this.

That's overreacting considering how good the Spurs were already, but Diaw is a very good fit in every possible way. He's best buddy with TP, he loves to move the ball around and he has no expectation for himself right at the time when Pop changes his lineup all the time.

I think you're underrating Blair too.

Blair can play against most teams in the league, but we're likely to run into Memphis or the Lakers at some point in the playoffs. He can't box out those big men, too short to bother their shots, has no jump shot, and has regressed a bit with his rebounding.

http://www.theknicksblog.com/2012/04/21/amarehad-bulging-disk-for-a-year/

CLEVELAND — Knicks forward Amar’e Stoudemire, in his most extensive interview in weeks at Friday morning’s shootaround at Quicken Loans Arena, confirmed his bulging disk has been around since he suffered a back injury in the playoff series against the Celtics last April.

Stoudemire said the bulging disk was discovered then but was not considered a big issue. Nevertheless, it became more noticeable after an MRI exam in late summer, and the setback in his rehab forced him to enter training camp not in proper condition.

“It wasn’t as herniated [last April],’’ Stoudemire said. “I don’t think they saw it until later on that summer. That’s why I came to training camp not really ready to go. It took a while to get to here I was 100 percent and in top shape and had explosiveness back.’’

Original story - http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knic...PMs2E4hrUxN?utm_medium=rss&utm_content=Knicks

No wonder he's been a zombie most of the year... holy crap.

Top Bottom