• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Apr |OT| Presented By Unicef and Feed The Children, Fuk Yo Hunger Clown.

Gabyskra

Banned
Why do people give offseason thread titles? I understand they're fans of the blazers or the lolcats, but you guys are forgetting something for other teams.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT| Who Will Pluck The Unibrow?

Also, Wiz ain't getting him, either. It'll be the Brooklyn Phrokorovs and you will like it.

Why do people give offseason thread titles? I understand they're fans of the blazers or the lolcats, but you guys are forgetting something for other teams.

The off-season thread is separate from the playoffs thread.

exarkun

if bobcats dont get the first or second pick...

man shit will get heavy in here with dy if that happens. might not even post, all the bobcats fans will be taking shots at everyone

Today was depressing as hell.

i-know-that-feel-bro.png

Eddie Jones had so much potential.

My favorite Laker of the 90s.

I still have his #25 jersey before he had to change it.

Really? Jones always bothered me. Seemed like a pussy when the game mattered. Trade rumors popped up and he'd go into a funk.

I pretended to be Sedale Threatt when shooting hoops by myself.

Writing a small report for my Sports Psychology module on why athletes 'Choke' (and what interventions could be used to help the player overcome the problem) - I'm going to use a made up person, but he's pretty much based on LeBron James. I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions - might give me ideas on research to add to what I'm already looking at.

giri

Writing a small report for my Sports Psychology module on why athletes 'Choke' (and what interventions could be used to help the player overcome the problem) - I'm going to use a made up person, but he's pretty much based on LeBron James. I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions - might give me ideas on research to add to what I'm already looking at.

In which direction?

On why he chokes? or how to over come it?

Gabyskra

Banned

Nick Anderson 1995 NBA Finals.

And the consequences on his shooting for the rest of his career (look at the %).

And maybe there's something Freudian about that:

sam_cassell1.jpg

In which direction?

On why he chokes? or how to over come it?

Probably more on why he chokes - I'm guessing its pressure to be the best. I've singled out that its pretty much just in the Playoffs where he fails to perform to his high standards (mentioning how he's often the best player in regular season). Intervention wise I was thinking of using 2 out of:

Goal Setting - start with him attempting to play a 'normal' game (though would argue that this could stop him from attempting clutch moments)
Self Talk & Thought Stopping - Is he doubting himself and piling the pressure on himself to perform miracles? Stopping that internal pressure.
Attention & Control Training - Will probably drop this one as I can't imagine he's losing focus or concentration during the games.

Nick Anderson 1995 NBA Finals.

And the consequences on his shooting for the rest of his career (look at the %).

And maybe there's something Freudian about that:

sam_cassell1.jpg

I'll look into this one, might give more ideas and offer comparisons. Thanks for that! Actually, this one seems really good too. Could do self talk and goal setting to aid recovery from that point in time. Good suggestion, thanks again. :)

Torres dodged a bullet.

EVERYONE is doing Torres!

pilonv1

giri

Probably more on why he chokes - I'm guessing its pressure to be the best. I've singled out that its pretty much just in the Playoffs where he fails to perform to his high standards (mentioning how he's often the best player in regular season). Intervention wise I was thinking of using 2 out of:

I think LBJ doesn't want to be the best, he just wants to be known as the best. A life of very preferential treatment from a very young age (iirc, LBJ was scouted when he was 14 or something). Then the way the entire cavs organisation just gave into his every demand.

Its hard for someone who has been given everything, to fail, several times, under pressure and then have to figure out how to overcome it, when everything else was served up on a platter.

That last is pure speculation rationale. But a lot of what he did at the cavs came off as immature.

I believe the following though, and have said so for a while. The difference between LBJ and Kobe is, LBJ wants to be known as the best, Kobe wants to BE the best.

He seems to be getting over that part, partially, but the crunch time worries still haunt him.

Ah right, so instead of the pressure/clutch situation you're looking more at the background/sporting education he's had as the reason he's 'underperforming' in the Playoffs?

Luckily, I've found a journal from 2010 that discussing Choking in the NBA.

pilonv1

Warriors last game is against the Spurs too. Pop will sit all his starters and the Warriors need to lose. Will be a great time out

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
For some, its the fact that they get distracted from the game by the moment. Guys start thinking about the shot instead of all they need to do in order to get the shot in the first place.

When I got my first shitty trophy, I got matched up against a guy I already saw 4 times since my junior year in high school. He was a better player than me. Just abused me off screens like it was a hobby. We never had a beef or anything and I'm not one for trash talk, but I threw him off by asking him where his family was sitting - immediately after I baited his friend into a moving screen by sagging off harder than normal and before I knew it the guy wasn't even the same player mentally. Started getting irritated with teammates, started bullshitting on cuts he'd normally take without hesitation... it wasn't the main reason they lost, but it was one of the few times I saw someone forget how to play because of the moment.

For some, its the fact that they get distracted from the game by the moment. Guys start thinking about the shot instead of all they need to do in order to get the shot in the first place.

When I got my first shitty trophy, I got matched up against a guy I already saw 4 times since my junior year in high school. He was a better player than me. Just abused me off screens like it was a hobby. We never had a beef or anything and I'm not one for trash talk, but I threw him off by asking him where his family was sitting - immediately after I baited his friend into a moving screen by sagging off harder than normal and before I knew it the guy wasn't even the same player mentally. Started getting irritated with teammates, started bullshitting on cuts he'd normally take without hesitation... it wasn't the main reason they lost, but it was one of the few times I saw someone forget how to play because of the moment.

Great example, was going to mention the occasion/moment being an issue - expectant fan base.

This beautiful mind game was the cornerstone of Larry Bird's defense. Love it.

giri

Join the club

I don't know about that for the W's.

They've got a lot to look forward to next year.

For the first time in a decade? they'll be fielding something akin to a Normal lineup.

Curry, Rush, Wright, Lee, Bogut is a very solid starting 5.

Klay & what ever you draft off the bench.

Its looking good in Warriors land next year. If curry can rehab his ankles properly you'll be set for a season over .500 atleast.

I think Cavs will get a decent pick, certainly one that will allow them to get one of the SGs. I think Hornets will get #1, Stern will feel he owes them something.

pilonv1

I don't know about that for the W's.

They've got a lot to look forward to next year.

For the first time in a decade? they'll be fielding something akin to a Normal lineup.

Curry, Rush, Wright, Lee, Bogut is a very solid starting 5.

Klay & what ever you draft off the bench.

Its looking good in Warriors land next year. If curry can rehab his ankles properly you'll be set for a season over .500 atleast.

Yes but the off-season is going to be super dull. Possibly no draft pick, only real intrigue is re-signing Rush/McGuire. The season will be interesting but May-October will be like pulling teeth

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Tim Duncan is a free agent this summer also

Nash and Duncan taking their talents to South Beach

Nash/Wade/Bron/Duncan/Bosh

ugh

Top Bottom