• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Apr |OT| Presented By Unicef and Feed The Children, Fuk Yo Hunger Clown.

TmQ2c.jpg

This is awesome.

Are the playoff matchups finalized yet?

1 SA v. 8 UT (DEN could technically still be 8, but they'd have to lose 2 in a row, including @MIN)
2 OKC v. 7 DAL/DEN (UT could be 7, but only if DEN drops to 8)
3 LAL v. 6 DAL/DEN
LAC v. MEM (HCA to be decided)

1 CHI v. PHI/NYK
2 MIA v. PHI/NYK
3 IND v. 6 ORL (ORL can move to 7 behind the Knicks but they'd have to lose to the bobcats at home)
BOS v. ATL (HCA to be decided)

is basically what we are looking at atm

Honestly all 4 east matchups look boring as hell

Well, I guess the Knicks will make for an interesting 5 games at least. And BOS/ATL will probably go longer than it has any right to.

Really excited for the West stuff though.

Vahagn

First team: Love, Bynum
Second team: Griffin, Dwight
Third team: Pau, Al Jefferson

Third team is my biggest contention along with Bum being on First team. Somehow people are dismissing Duncan's fantastic season on the best team in the league (15.4/9/2.3/1.5 in 28MPG).

I will never understand people who don't understand just how superstars age. People tend to think that superstars drop off in their ability and per minute production, when in reality, they usually drop off in their consistency and overall production

Kobe had the best per minute scoring numbers in years last year, but he was clearly a huge step down because he couldn't practice, played limited minutes, and couldn't consistently give you 40 good minutes a night for stretches.

Duncan pretty much can only play 28 minutes a night, and has to sit out 5-10 games a season when he's not injured just to play those 28 minutes.

15 / 9 in 28 minutes is efficient, but it doesn't make him great...and all NBA teams are about greatness

Owzers

West playoffs will be great, East i'm looking forward to Knicks/Heat, i think the Knicks have a chance for upset but the live and die by Melo they've been doing lately is scary and Amare is a huge liability. Can't wait to see Amare watch people stroll through the lane to a an easy dunk.

I will never understand people who don't understand just how superstars age. People tend to think that superstars drop off in their ability and per minute production, when in reality, they usually drop off in their consistency and overall production

Kobe had the best per minute scoring numbers in years last year, but he was clearly a huge step down because he couldn't practice, played limited minutes, and couldn't consistently give you 40 good minutes a night for stretches.

Duncan pretty much can only play 28 minutes a night, and has to sit out 5-10 games a season when he's not injured just to play those 28 minutes.

15 / 9 in 28 minutes is efficient, but it doesn't make him great...and all NBA teams are about greatness

????? There were plenty of games where he played around 35 minutes or so (not in a row) and he played fine. But those were counter acted with all the 18-25 minute games we had thanks to our depth and all those blowouts.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes

Al Jefferson.

still dances better than you

go back to saying good morning to your crazy co worker

Is this what passes for a burn in the OC? Vak come get your neighbor.

I need some actual fire to get in playoff shape. "How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?"

Well, yeah. If he was able to do the same production, but over 36 minutes, he'd be at 20/12/3/2. Thats all-NBA first team numbers, not third. We're comparing him to guys like Marc Gasol, who has worse stats all around but in 8 more minutes...

Of course Duncan couldn't produce this efficiently if he was at 40 mpg. But...28 minutes of Duncan is still so good that its better than Jefferson, Gasol, or whoever you want to put on that 3rd team.

(btw, I disagree that Duncan can only play for 28 a night. He'll be getting 35+ in the playoffs and he'll be fine. He could have done 32+ in the regular season too...but we just don't want him to)

OddSpoon

Banned
Irving had the ROTY award locked up in late January.

Rubio the Horrible had zero chance at winning the award. Injury/Missed Games? Kyrie played only 10 more games than Rubio. Plus Rubio played far more minutes.

First team: Love, Bynum
Second team: Griffin, Dwight
Third team: Pau, Al Jefferson

Third team is my biggest contention along with Bum being on First team. Somehow people are dismissing Duncan's fantastic season on the best team in the league (15.4/9/2.3/1.5 in 28MPG).

Pau is a 3rd teamer this year. Dirk has been below him and LMA has missed too much time. As did Zbo. Duncan doesn't even play 30mpg. I wouldn't put anyone under 30mpg in there.

People think Pau hasn't played well, but the Lakers were 3rd in the west despite Fisher and out of shape Artest playing most of the season shooting sub 35% overall with on bench. And Kobe chucking to a low percentage.

How do you guys think they won so many games? It's been Bynum and Pau consistently. 15. and 10.5 and 4 assists per game. He's also had his best defensive season as a Laker (especially the first 2 months) and he sees a lot more double teams than ever. Leads the team with a net +8 on/off splits (Kobe is half that).

I know people like to rag on Pau, but he had a good season. He and Bynum carried them many nights.

He gets it by default since LMA got hurt and his team tanked, but Pau deserves it. Lakers were a 3 headed team for most of the year with some awful play from everyone else other than Barnes.

I'd have KG or Tyson over Big Al, though.

Vahagn

????? There were plenty of games where he played around 35 minutes or so (not in a row) and he played fine. But those were counter acted with all the 18-25 minute games we had thanks to our depth and all those blowouts.

consistency Prime Duncan can go for 35 a night for 82 games. Way past his prime Duncan would completely break down if he tried that.

Reilo said:
Al Jefferson.

You're right, checkmate

Pau is a 3rd teamer this year. Dirk has been below him and LMA has missed too much time. As did Zbo. Duncan doesn't even play 30mpg. I wouldn't put anyone under 30mpg in there.

People think Pau hasn't played well, but the Lakers were 3rd in the west despite Fisher and out of shape Artest playing most of the season shooting sub 35% overall with on bench. And Kobe chucking to a low percentage.

How do you guys think they won so many games? It's been Bynum and Pau consistently. 15. and 10.5 and 4 assists per game. He's also had his best defensive season as a Laker (especially the first 2 months) and he sees a lot more double teams than ever. Leads the team with a net +8 on/off splits (Kobe is half that).

I know people like to rag on Pau, but he had a good season. He and Bynum carried them many nights.

He gets it by default since LMA got hurt and his team tanked, but Pau deserves it. Lakers were a 3 headed team for most of the year with some awful play from everyone else other than Barnes.

Don't really see how this can be refuted. Pau being 3rd team is about right.

Wow, Woj just brought in a bombshell

More and more, its becoming clear why Fisher wanted the audit. It looks like someone was lining their pockets.
And after reading that memo, that's straight up politics, some people didn't want to have the review.

giga

Garrity discovered information online that left him feeling obligated to confront Billy Hunter: Hunter's son, Todd, had a seat on the board of directors of Interstate Net Bank.

Todd Hunter is also a vice president for Prim Capital, which has a consulting contract with the NBPA that has paid the company in excess of $2.5 million since 2006, according to U.S. Department of Labor filings.
db409cf1693feb0e724e61034442d7ad9a339b62_m.gif

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Inaba, the wife of Todd Hunter, was paid $180,444 from July 1, 2010, to June 30, 2011. Among her responsibilities are coordinating the union's All-Star weekend gala and summer meetings, as well as running the union's Twitter account and handling other social media responsibilities.

What the fuck? $180k to organize a gala and post on Twitter? Jesus fuck.

Inaba, the wife of Todd Hunter, was paid $180,444 from July 1, 2010, to June 30, 2011. Among her responsibilities are coordinating the union's All-Star weekend gala and summer meetings, as well as running the union's Twitter account and handling other social media responsibilities. In her position as director of special events, Inaba has averaged the sixth-highest salary in the NBPA over the past five years: $148,633 per year, according to the filing

Wow, per Relio's link. That's a lot of money for that job...

These were central themes to Garrity's objections in February 2009 in Phoenix: Due process for hiring, and the appearance of Hunter's family ties impacting union business and finances. Garrity wanted answers about Hunter's motivation for investing into a small New Jersey bank that the Philadelphia Business Journal reported, "was a toxic mix of brokered deposits, construction and land development loans and questionable management."
Beyond the banking issue, Garrity raised questions about the process that led to the hiring of Hunter's daughter, Robyn, into a newly created staff position of director of benefits and concierge services. What was the human resources process? Was the job posted? Who else was interviewed?

League sources told Yahoo! Sports that the NBPA's health care provider, Cigna, had offered a premium service that would've afforded the Players Association access to a telephone concierge service to answer and assist players on benefits issues. Because the NBA was such an elite account for Cigna, the service would've come free of charge. Billy Hunter rejected the idea, sources said, and within months hired his daughter in a role with some duties similar to the ones that had been offered to the Players Association.

Amazing info by Woj.

Mothman91

My brother wants my take my family to the Miami game tomorrow....don't think it's worth it.

Tickets will be expensive just because it's Miami/last regular season game here...and they should be resting the big 3.

Unioncompensation_pies_final5.jpg

As NBA players lost $400 million in salary during last summer's lockout – and $3 billion over the course of the new 10-year collective bargaining agreement – Billy Hunter, his family and the entities that employed them made approximately $3,430,953 from July 1, 2010, to June 30, 2011, according to labor filings.

Before Fisher recently confronted Hunter and demanded a review of the union's business and financial practices, Garrity had been the last player in a position of power to truly challenge the union's executive director. As Garrity was shouted down, Fisher and his peers did nothing to back him that day, sources said. Fisher kept saying it wasn't the time or place for such a discussion, witnesses said. When Fisher wouldn't back him, witnesses said, Garrity seemed to understand it was pointless to keep pressing Hunter and Hall.

After Garrity left the 2009 meeting, sources said Hunter made a request: He told the executive committee he was owed several years of missed vacation, and that Hunter deserved $1 million in compensation. Eventually, the committee granted it.

At this point, more than a few should be calling for his head.

Hunter: "You think I got time to ask a man why he giving me money?...I'll take any motherfucker's money if he givin' it away!"

<3

TCB must have blocked 2001 from his memory. Fisher not only buried the spurs, he kicked dirt on the dead corpses in that series. 28-6-5 to send them home on 85% shooting (6 of 7 from 3).

Nice Wire reference there, Moris.

I'd bet anything Woj's original source was Fish himself. Fish needs to get this info out there from a 3rd party and Woj has a relationship with players like Fish. Woj might have dug some extra stuff up, of course.

Emwitus

rPau is a 3rd teamer this year. Dirk has been below him and LMA has missed too much time. As did Zbo. Duncan doesn't even play 30mpg. I wouldn't put anyone under 30mpg in there.

I want to see who has been playing better than pau at his position. Guy almost had a triple double twice in a week.

Lol @ Hunter's response

“Let me say this to you: My children are highly credentialed,” Hunter said. “In many instances, they’re being paid at or below the market….

“There’s nothing illegal,” Hunter said, “and you’re not going to find anything illegal, you or anybody else, if that’s what you’re looking for. I’m not afraid of that.”

GO FISH

My brother wants my take my family to the Miami game tomorrow....don't think it's worth it.

Tickets will be expensive just because it's Miami/last regular season game here...and they should be resting the big 3.

you gotta go see the human highlight reel that is dexter pittman

you might even catch a glimpse of the corpse of eddy curry

Vahagn

This whole Hunter Nepotism thing is insane. That family has made tens of millions on the backs of the players.

If we're going for nepotism, I'm sure some NBA players have siblings and relatives that are more highly qualified than Hunter's family...

Hunter has 0 justification here, none!

I wonder what degree the person running their twitter has.

Giving 100k to a dishwasher and trying to justify it by saying he has a masters in latin doesn't make sense.

Top Bottom