• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Apr |OT| Presented By Unicef and Feed The Children, Fuk Yo Hunger Clown.

Malone had one of the top 5 PG's of all time, and won... nothing.

TD had... popovich, and won it 3 times. I mean, he had no other player on his team that will go down as "top 5 of all time" at their position.

TD > Malone.

Malone might be the single best regular season player ever, LBJ is right up there in contention with that.

2soDd.gif

SUPREME1

Banned
1) Kobe-He eclipsed Jordan, and made everyone forget who #23 was.
2) Magic/Larry
3) Kareem
4) Jerry West
5) Micheal Jordan- I have long believed that one or two of his rings were handed to him by Stern as payback for a debt, I don't want to get into what I have heard.

Had to be said.

<.<

>.>

<.<

I'm going to the OKC game tonight, should be awesome. Still I feel like a bad Miami fan as the Marlins opening is such a huge event for our city. Oh well no way in hell I am passing up OKC tickets.

giri

I'm going to the OKC game tonight, should be awesome. Still I feel like a bad Miami fan as the Marlins opening is such a huge event for our city. Oh well no way in hell I am passing up OKC tickets.

From all i've heard, i hope you have already started to make your way there, traffic is apparently pretty bad.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Malone had one of the top 5 PG's of all time, and won... nothing.

TD had... popovich, and won it 3 times. I mean, he had no other player on his team that will go down as "top 5 of all time" at their position.

TD > Malone.

Malone might be the single best regular season player ever, LBJ is right up there in contention with that.
While I agree that TD is better than Malone, Malone had some stiffer competition in the 90's. Spurs beat the Knicks, Nets, Pistons, Cavs in the finals. Not the strongest of competition.

giri

While I agree that TD is better than Malone, Malone had some stiffer competition in the 90's. Spurs beat the Knicks, Nets, Pistons, Cavs in the finals. Not the strongest of competition.

Eh, i wouldn't have said their toughest games were ever their finals, but getting out of the west was pure hell for anyone in the 2000's.

giri

That image reeks of sadness.

2 years ago, Nash Vs D-will

Dragic goes off for 20 in a half. Suns still lose with 2 really late dumb plays that let the jazz come back from 5 down with 10seconds to play or something. Deron came up big.

Sigh.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Eh, i wouldn't have said their toughest games were ever their finals, but getting out of the west was pure hell for anyone in the 2000's.
It wasn't easy in the 2000's, either, and facing the Bulls in the Finals makes it much worse. The Spurs had it easy in the Finals, the Jazz didn't. Remember, one of those Bulls teams went 72-10, and doing that in the 90's is pretty tough. Though, like I said, I would still pick Duncan, cause Malone had Stockton.

giri

It wasn't easy in the 2000's, either, and facing the Bulls in the Finals makes it much worse. The Spurs had it easy in the Finals, the Jazz didn't. Remember, one of those Bulls teams went 72-10, and doing that in the 90's is pretty tough. Though, like I said, I would still pick Duncan, cause Malone had Stockton.

I may not remember this right, but didn't one of those spurs runs bump out a kobe-shaq lakers team?

Not saying Jordan bulls weren't a tough team to beat. But he played for 16 years or something. Jordan bulls only won 6 times. Thats 10 other years.

Here we go?

Those Celtic teams weren't stacked and faced far inferior competition? How the fuck else do you run off 11 chips in 13 years if you're Bill Russell?

Cause you're just that damn good?

With like 8 teams in the league, the playoffs were shorter as well.

GTFO.

IIRC, they also had first-round byes back then and each series was less games. 11 in 13 isn't impressive when there's only two rounds you have to win.

In more recent news, Bynum has lost his mind and I'd like our coach fired.

Also, inferior team acknowledges what world already knew--there is no rivalry if you've never been more successful than the other team.

I may not remember this right, but didn't one of those spurs runs bump out a kobe-shaq lakers team?

2003, by 28. One of the few times the Lakers lost to the Spurs in the playoffs.

El company of hypocrites.

I seem to remember CP3 performing a magical whirling dervish the last time the teams met...surely someone has this gif.

Blake and Cp3 flopping is laughable.

Have fun at the game dude. I'm gonna be missing both the new Marlins park opening and the Heat-Thunder game :( Hopefully I can get back in time to catch some of the action but I doubt it....

LuchaShaq

Banned
Fisher, Gasol.

El company of hypocrites.

Until the refs/league fix it (and it has to be from the beginning of pre season so players have time to adjust and SUPER strict) the floppers are in the right even if I hate seeing it.

It's not like some Bruce Bowen step under a dudes foot to try and snap his ankle style bullshit that would get you punched in a pickup game even full of 50 yr old rich fat dudes.

I can't believe ESPN is hyping this game as the game to decide the MVP.

Like, it's a pretty long season and not a one or two game thing...

When it comes to awards ESPN has always been about hyping nonsense stories over stats and realities of the game. This thread was just as guilty of it last Thunder/Heat game.

Yeah in 02-03

Lakers 3 peat. Spurs topple them in 2nd round (year shaq missed ton of games for toe surgery). Next year with Malone/Payton Malone gets hurt, and then Kobe literally throws the finals without basically any media attention. If Lebron played a finals anywhere near as bad as that one? Oh Lord this thread would be in literal flames on the neogaf server

Puddles

Banned

That was one of the worst series ever.

Btw, anyone saying that the Spurs were a one man team didn't watch that series.

Tony Parker killed us. So many of his stupid runners in the lane every time the Lakers tried to make a push. Robinson also had some huge clutch plays for the Spurs. Multiple cuts to the basket for lob dunks with just a few seconds left on the shot clock. Fucking open dunks when the Lakers were like 3 seconds away from a stop. It's hard to hate such a classy guy, but goddamn I wanted to beat his old ass with a baseball bat during that series.

Also, that was the year when Kobe started dominating the ball and taking the most shots on the team. Lots of people don't remember, but Shaq often looked gassed that year. He looked helpless against Duncan and Robinson on countless possessions.

Robert Horry was also horrible for the Lakers in that series.

giri

Until the refs/league fix it (and it has to be from the beginning of pre season so players have time to adjust and SUPER strict) the floppers are in the right even if I hate seeing it.

It's not like some Bruce Bowen step under a dudes foot to try and snap his ankle style bullshit that would get you punched in a pickup game even full of 50 yr old rich fat dudes.

Just because no one is stopping the drug lords in mexico from slaughtering people, it's ok, until the government cracks down on it!

Just because you get away with something doesn't make it right.

LuchaShaq

Banned

Tony Parker killed us. So many of his stupid runners in the lane every time the Lakers tried to make a push. Robinson also had some huge clutch plays for the Spurs. Multiple cuts to the basket for lob dunks with just a few seconds left on the shot clock. Fucking open dunks when the Lakers were like 3 seconds away from a stop. It's hard to hate such a classy guy, but goddamn I wanted to beat his old ass with a baseball bat during that series.

Also, that was the year when Kobe started dominating the ball and taking the most shots on the team. Lots of people don't remember, but Shaq often looked gassed that year. He looked helpless against Duncan and Robinson on countless possessions.

That series was such a fucking joke.

Stanislav Medvedenko was legitimately the Lakers third best player that series.

SoulPlaya

more money than God

Not saying Jordan bulls weren't a tough team to beat. But he played for 16 years or something. Jordan bulls only won 6 times. Thats 10 other years.
Yeah, but we're talking 90's Bulls teams here, they're far and away much more formidable than any team the Spurs had to face. Besides, the Jazz didn't have an easy walk to the finals. The Lakers teams they beat were pretty tough too.

LuchaShaq

Banned
... after LeBron right?

Hard to take that seriously when everytime he does do something clutch people just go "LOL LeTravel!" Or ignore it like his 16 straight points last night when Philly cut their lead to 4-5 with 2-3 minutes to go. Until people realize the last 2-5 minutes not just the last 5 seconds also counts as clutch it's hard to take people seriously.

Hard to take that seriously when everytime he does do something clutch people just go "LOL LeTravel!" Or ignore it like his 16 straight points last night when Philly cut their lead to 4-5 with 2-3 minutes to go. Until people realize the last 2-5 minutes not just the last 5 seconds also counts as clutch it's hard to take people seriously.

He was super clutch that one time against the Pistons
before he got unclutchly swept in the Finals.

There's no such thing as a pure one man team, but Duncan was way more part of that team than anyone other than Hakeem in '94. Parker contributed at times, other times was benched for Speedy Claxton. Jax chipped in as did DRob. I mean, in basketball you can't actually win with just 1 player being good.

But Duncan carried them big time. BTW, in the Laker series, DRob was trash. Duncan destroyed the Lakers. Something like 30 and 13 on 55%. Lakers had no answer. Horry looked so tired in that series.

giri

Yeah, but we're talking 90's Bulls teams here, they're far and away much more formidable than any team the Spurs had to face. Besides, the Jazz didn't have an easy walk to the finals. The Lakers teams they beat were pretty tough too.

The 90's bulls were on a different level to most chip teams, yes, but that doesn't count for the other 10 years he didn't win anything.

rage1973

Don't mention that shit to me.

I was standing in my living room in stunned disbelief when that shit clanged off.

I remember he was like 0 for 18 for the series from the 3 and Duncan killed him on the other end. That was the worst shit I have seen from a player in the playoffs and Phil refused to stop playing him.

Don't mention that shit to me.

I was standing in my living room in stunned disbelief when that shit clanged off.

I remember that play so vividly because it was so devastating to me. I swear it's the only game winning shot Horry ever missed. And it should have gone in.

Don't think I was ever as upset after a Laker loss as that one. I was certain that shot was going in. I even called the play for Horry before it happened. How did it not go in? Everything was lined up for him...

Top Bottom