• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT2| Lakers Fans Despise Freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
And because he was Asian.. Not a bad thing it's a great but if it was an unknown black kid it would have made sports stories but not like that... Even on the Knicks..

Oh, as a person of color, I know that was also the case, 'Ace.

The point is, the New York media (and the way they love to make shit a bigger deal than it is) made him into the sensation that he was. I seriously doubt the buzz would have been as huge as it was if it happened on a team like Golden State or Boston Houston Rockets.

It would have registered but not nearly as huge as it did.

That is my opinion.

Darkman M

tumblr_m7b7ukguzu1r2khhjo1_400.gif

Damn got freaked like Brandi on prom night LOL.

Waitaminute...

after ALL OF GAF virtually said Lin was a scrub on the Knicks and overrated (LOL KNICKS), now that Lin is gone suddenly he's an All-Star PG and the Knicks fucked it up (LOL KNICKS)?

DataLaughing_gif.gif

Oh NBA-GAF, never change.

NEVER

EVER

EVAR

CHANGE

That's not what people think though.

Lin was a starting caliber PG, the hype he received made some people say stupid things about him both positive and negative. He's young and could develop into a nice PG.

People are laughing at the Knicks because they are so poorly managed. They got a PG who generates money. The cap had the knicks tapped out financially and they were gifted a Taiwanese media sensation and they let him walk because of money? They're fucked financially with or without Lin, at least with him the fans had some hope and you could get some of that asian money.

He could very well fail in Houston, but he has the tools to be a starter in this league. Knicks gave him up.....because. That's why everyone is pointing and laughing. His merch sales would have covered his contract if it hasn't already and The Knicks were gonna suck with or without him, but now in a few seasons when fatMelo and Amare hang it up, Lin won't be around for the rebuild.

knicks if you do, knicks if you dont™

Give me my royalties.

Oh, as a person of color, I know that was also the case, 'Ace.

The point is, the New York media (and the way they love to make shit a bigger deal than it is) made him into the sensation that he was. I seriously doubt the buzz would have been as huge as it was if it happened on a team like Golden State or Boston Houston Rockets.

It would have registered but not nearly as huge as it did.

That is my opinion.
It certainly wouldn't have been as big, but I still think it would have gotten coverage. That was a crazy tear that he went on.

RBH

Lin was a starting caliber PG, the hype he received made some people say stupid things about him both positive and negative. He's young and could develop into a nice PG.

People are laughing at the Knicks because they are so poorly managed. They got a PG who generates money. The cap had the knicks tapped out financially and they were gifted a Taiwanese media sensation and they let him walk because of money? They're fucked financially with or without Lin, at least with him the fans had some hope and you could get some of that asian money.

He could very well fail in Houston, but he has the tools to be a starter in this league. Knicks gave him up.....because. That's why everyone is pointing and laughing. His merch sales would have covered his contract if it hasn't already and The Knicks were gonna suck with or without him, but now in a few seasons when fatMelo and Amare hang it up, Lin won't be around for the rebuild.
Exactly.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!

This this this

And they replaced him with Failton

It certainly wouldn't have been as big, but I still think it would have gotten coverage. That was a crazy tear that he went on.

Yes, no doubt it would have gotten coverage but all the drama surrounding the Knicks too? Rumors of D'Antoni getting fired? The Knicks stinking it up? Melo on the mend?

Savior Lin appears in them iddle of all?

Then, once Linsanity started, the questions of how Melo would mesh with Lin?

That shit was a soap opera AND it was happening in NY.

Get back in the corner, fly boy.

The NY media made it into a bigger story than it would have been if he was playing in Houston or Golden State (his first stops). Not fucking way that shit would have gotten that big in a smaller market.

The main reason it got all the buzz and spotlight it did was because it was happening in the largest media market in the nation and he was running off 8 games in a row while Melo was on the mend. The narrative couldn't have been more perfect either: Harvard player cut from 2 NBA teams gets a chance and explodes to help a struggling Knicks team.

He was propelled into the spotlight to a large degree because he played for the NEW YORK Knicks.

Who gives a fuck about the media narrative? You fools buy into that shit, I don't give a fuck about it. What about what he did on court? There wouldn't have been shit to report if he wasn't playing some good ball. Who gives a fuck about who published whatever story, without Lin's play there ain't shit to write about.

I really don't see what the hell your point is, but whatever it is seems to be based on the bedtime stories and fairy tales you all seem to subscribe to, rather than what is really going on.

But it's not about money. I guarantee you this is about him "pissing off" Dolan.

But see you're being disingenous now, people were guffawing before when the contract was 5/5/9/9 and saying the Knicks were dumb to match. Which is why I have been jokingly posting that Knicks will make up the money by selling Jeremy Lin suppositories/condoms. Then the offer was upped to 5/5.2/14.9? Come on, go back a week and see GAF's reaction, most people were going to be like "LOL Knicks" anyway.

The bottom line is it comes down to Raymond Felton was available and cheaper (And Dolan being pissed, of course). Felton will care considering he never wanted out of NY, but if he doesn't play well and Lin comes out of the gate hot hooo boy I can imagine the papers in November.

Blackace

Espn, fox sports and what not would have covered it... But unknown players make tears all the time... 2nd round draft picks turn into all stars yearly

Uh, correct me if I'm wrong but that money he generates (via jersey, merch sales) is considered BRI and the league splits that shit between the PA and the owners.

The Knicks don't get all that money. Even the overseas negotiations fall under that umbrella, don't they?

LuchaShaq

Banned

Give me my royalties.

This a thousand times.

If bailing on Lin meant they had the capspace to sign CP3 next year, or some other great pg? Would be shocked at the knicks being smart.

Paying camby/kidd/faton 10 mil combined a year and then not overpaying lin as well for 3 years that are already capped out? WTF he will make it back in Asian money anyways.

This is Dolan and his LOLOL ego, nothing more, nothing less.

Yes, no doubt it would have gotten coverage but all the drama surrounding the Knicks too? Rumors of D'Antoni getting fired? The Knicks stinking it up? Melo on the mend?

Savior Lin appears in them iddle of all?

Then, once Linsanity started, the questions of how Melo would mesh with Lin?

That shit was a soap opera AND it was happening in NY.
The best part about the Knicks is that the media doesn't need to sensationalize anything. As you said, that shit is/was a soap opera. I love watching NYK's FO screw up every year.

I feel bad for Knicks fans, though.

Westlo

Nah Knicks fucked up, could've used him as an expiring in his 3rd year and rode the Lin merchandise wave for the first two... lol @ Failton,

Also Boston rockets!? lmao, Lin fans keeping it real and I've dead @ those gifs.

Espn, fox sports and what not would have covered it... But unknown players make tears all the time... 2nd round draft picks turn into all stars yearly
I don't know about that. I think we can all agree that, at the very least, it was a great story. I was rooting for him the whole way (though the crazy stans have been annoying).

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
So now there's no doubt that the Brooklyn Nets are better than the Knocks and will be for the foreseeable future.

Lets wait and see. I can see deron having crazy games until Shump comes back like he did last year when he faced the Knicks without Shump. If Shump comes back healthy I say the Knicks have the edge since Shump really did give Deron problems defensively.

People hate to admit it but the Knicks made the right move.

I'm pissed they brought old ass KT back thb
You need someone on the team to show you the proper way to clothesline a guy going for a layup.
Lets wait and see. I can see deron having crazy games until Shump comes back like he did last year when he faced the Knicks without Shump. If Shump comes back healthy I say the Knicks have the edge since Shump really did give Deron problems defensively.
Been waiting for the Nets to be "better" for 3 years. Let's see if they finally are in 3-4 months.

But it's not about money. I guarantee you this is about him "pissing off" Dolan.

But see you're being disingenous now, people were guffawing before when the contract was 5/5/9/9 and saying the Knicks were dumb to match. Which is why I have been jokingly posting that Knicks will make up the money by selling Jeremy Lin suppositories/condoms. Then the offer was upped to 5/5.2/14.9? Come on, go back a week and see GAF's reaction, most people were going to be like "LOL Knicks" anyway.

The bottom line is it comes down to Raymond Felton was available and cheaper. And Dolan being pissed, of course.

You really think this makes the situation any better or less laughable?

Dolan throwing his cap starved team of overpaid stiffs even further down the drain by not matching a offer sheet thats actually decent until the third year because of him throwing a bitch fit. Serious question, will amare be worth whatever you are overpaying him at any time in his current contract?

Omega

Banned
Frankman, it's the Knicks. Everyone is gonna talk shit regardless. Why entertain it?

Even though I've said they should have matched, it wouldn't have made a difference. We're still a first round and done team in the playoffs unless we get lucky like the Sixers.

The bottom line is it comes down to Raymond Felton was available and cheaper. And Dolan being pissed, of course.

That kind of goes into the category of "poorly run", let your cash cow leave cause you're feeling pissy? Lol Dolan.

That contract is absurd from a basketball perspective and those "LOL KNicks gunna match dat!" were made, but those also stem from Knicks being run like shit. They were gonna toss some more dirt on the dirt pile. It was assumed that such a poorly constructed team had no choice but to sink further, but make no mistake they were buried before that contract and are buried without it, hence LOL KNICKS!

If Knicks had some options, then you let Lin go for the better basketball option in order to win. They let Lin go and it makes no sense, plus they added Jason "Kidd" and Raymond "If I buy one more sub sandwich, I'll get a free sub sandwich" Felton

Uh, correct me if I'm wrong but that money he generates (via jersey, merch sales) is considered BRI and the league splits that shit between the PA and the owners.

The Knicks don't get all that money. Even the overseas negotiations fall under that umbrella, don't they?

I have no clue, that would lessen the stupidity of the situation if true.

Blackace

I don't know about that. I think we can all agree that, at the very least, it was a great story. I was rooting for him the whole way (though the crazy stans have been annoying).

Marc Gasol, Millsap, Manu, Ellis, Redd, Boozer, Willis Reid...

Sure there are tons more it's not unheard of in the slightest

That kind of goes into the category of "poorly run", let your cash cow leave cause you're feeling pissy? Lol Dolan.

That contract is absurd from a basketball perspective and those "LOL KNicks gunna match dat!" were made, but those also stem from Knicks being run like shit. They were gonna toss some more dirt on the dirt pile. It was assumed that such a poorly constructed team had no choice but to sink further, but make no mistake they were buried before that contract and are buried without it, hence LOL KNICKS!

If Knicks had some options, then you let Lin go for the better basketball option in order to win. They let Lin go and it makes no sense, plus they added Jason "Kidd" and Raymond "If I buy one more sub sandwich, I'll get a free sub sandwich" Felton

Cash cow? Lulz. They make money whether Lin is there or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom