• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT2| Lakers Fans Despise Freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

squicken

So now Orlando is going to get Varajeo and Cleveland bynum?

Not buying this. This shit needs to end, already

Yeah I'm not buying any of these Lakers proposals until I see one where the other teams involved don't look like they are going out of their way to help LA get Howard

Jeremy Lin said:
"Honestly, I preferred New York," "But my main goal in free agency was to go to a team that had plans for me and wanted me. I wanted to have fun playing basketball. ... Now I'm definitely relieved."
Carmelo... Woodson... Hello Houston!
ibhU8COG3QF0kk.gif

There's an insider at clutchfans whose information is corroborated by another insider at truebluenation saying that Hennigan doesn't want any long-term deals and that a total rebuild with Houston rookies is what he's gunning for.

I haven´t posted a lot but this offseason has been one of the funniest i ever seen.

The Nets spend billions to keep the same garbage team that was a bottom feeder last season and then they got Joe Johnson to be their savior? A reasonable GM would probably amnesty the deals of Bropez, Crash and Joe right now, without even having to wait a season or two.

The Knicks let Lin go because now, all of a sudden they decided to save money? But instead, this move hurts them badly with the fans and it doesn´t save a lot of money... to replace him, they trade for Felton, who was DevinHarris´d last season? This has got to be a joke but it isn´t.

And the Rockets, they mortgage part of their future to hire a guy they cut last season because they thought he was not NBA level talent!

Spoiled millionares running pro sports are a joke. People on message boards shouldn´t make more sense them people running pro teams, but they do. This whole franchise model in america really needs a change because is just trully fucked up.

Nelo Ice

Banned
There's an insider at clutchfans whose information is corroborated by another insider at truebluenation saying that Hennigan doesn't want any long-term deals and that a total rebuild with Houston rookies is what he's gunning for.

Wasn't sure if anyone was gonna post since wasn't sure if anyone would believe it but the posts in question.
http://truebluenation.com/forum/ind...he-dwight-howard-drama-unfolds/page__st__5400

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=223668

If that source has anv validity then yeah he literally said Hennigan is trying to up the ante on Houston's end. I wouldn't be surprised if he is legit since Ariza's freaking agent broke the news about him being traded to LA on one of the Laker forums.

Branduil

The Houston deal is the only one that makes any sense at all. I can only think that Orlando is trying to gain leverage for a better deal from them.

SamuraiX-

http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2012/7/18/3166975/sacramento-kings-salary-cap-tyreke-evans

Barring a trade before then, the dominant storyline going into 2013 free agency for the Sacramento Kings will be Tyreke Evans. Because the Kings aren't offering an extension this offseason, he'll be a restricted free agent on July 1, 2013. The Kings will retain the option of matching any contract offer sheet that he signs, but as we've seen this summer, teams are all too willing to extend max offers to borderline players (Roy Hibbert, Eric Gordon) and make things as difficult as possible (Omer Asik, Jeremy Lin).

The salary cap should be $60 million, so the max contract for Evans would start at $15 million. Adding that to the Kings' prior commitments puts the team salary at $61 million, just barely over the cap. It'd give the Kings 11 roster players, not including any draft picks. Depending on his performance this season, Johnson would be the team's only other free agent of note.

Evans isn't likely getting a max deal from the Kings, though. If he gets $12 million, based on his first three seasons, I'll be surprised. That puts the Kings under the cap by $2 million before accounting for picks and Johnson. If the contract starts at $10 million, the Kings would have $4 million of cap space.

The only way to have the space for a big free agent splash or lopsided trade next offseason: let Evans walk (a horrible idea) or amnesty John Salmons, the last contender remaining (as described this morning). Amnestying Salmons and re-signing Evans to a deal starting at $12 million would give the Kings $10 million in cap space before accounting for draft picks or Johnson. That space could be used to nab a small forward or, if needed, point guard. Remember, Brooks could also decide to opt out, freeing up another $3.3 million but also opening up another hole in the rotation.

But that poses problems for 2014-15, when DeMarcus Cousins' extension kicks in. (That is projected to be a max deal.) Salmons and Garcia are the last whale contracts expiring before extensions to Evans and Cousins kick in. Using the space created by their expiration for non-current Kings involves going well over the cap or not retaining Evans or Cousins. Given what we know about the Maloofs, that is not feasible.

I can't wait to choke to death from laughing after some inept GM offers Reke a full max deal or a poison pill contract next offseason.

I hope we start aggressively pushing for trades if he continues to underperform through the first half of this season.

So here's my prediction of what will happen: the Kings will make Evans the team's highest-paid player early in restricted free agency in July 2013. But the team will not use amnesty on Salmons, and will either keep Johnson on a lower-than-Thompson deal or find another new small forward paid only a few million. The team will then sign Cousins to a max early extension and call the offseason a raging success full of committed money galore all while the team continues to sit far below its competitors in terms of payroll.

Sounds about right.

MaDOOF-esque

squicken

I'm sure he'd love to create ORL West in HOU, but HOU will never do that. Ultimately, no matter what he says, he must trade Dwight. Everyone else can wait it out

I'm sure he'd love to create ORL West in HOU, but HOU will never do that. Ultimately, no matter what he says, he must trade Dwight. Everyone else can wait it out

Hennigan doesn't have to trade Dwight if the offers aren't good, you can take a shit deal anytime (the revised Houston offer where the Magic get only one of their rookies is trash); they could always hang on to him and use bird rights as leverage at the end of the year.

Hennigan doesn't have to trade Dwight if the offers aren't good, you can take a shit deal anytime (the revised Houston offer where the Magic get only one of their rookies is trash); they could always hang on to him and use bird rights as leverage at the end of the year.

bird rights won't mean dick to a guy who wants no part of the team. Look at how Ray left.

Dwight isn't staying no matter what. To be honest, the longer things go, I think the less desperate teams will be to trade for him.

What if the Lakers have a #1 record come January? Do they move Bynum, then? And if not, then there is no leverage for Orlando with him to use on other teams.

Honestly, I think Dwight is gone by the end of the month, but definitely before the season starts. If the season starts, I think it's way too risky for Orlando.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I haven´t posted a lot but this offseason has been one of the funniest i ever seen.

The Nets spend billions to keep the same garbage team that was a bottom feeder last season and then they got Joe Johnson to be their savior? A reasonable GM would probably amnesty the deals of Bropez, Crash and Joe right now, without even having to wait a season or two.

The Knicks let Lin go because now, all of a sudden they decided to save money? But instead, this move hurts them badly with the fans and it doesn´t save a lot of money... to replace him, they trade for Felton, who was DevinHarris´d last season? This has got to be a joke but it isn´t.

And the Rockets, they mortgage part of their future to hire a guy they cut last season because they thought he was not NBA level talent!

Spoiled millionares running pro sports are a joke. People on message boards shouldn´t make more sense them people running pro teams, but they do. This whole franchise model in america really needs a change because is just trully fucked up.

This is all very true.

squicken

Well he's definitely getting a lottery guaranteed/protected pick from TOR via HOU. And he'd get another of the young guys and probably dump at least Hedo. That's better than Dwight walking and better than building around Bynum imo

I'm not really familiar with any revised deal. All I ever saw was the garbage "all the bad contracts and Dwight to HOU, all the young guys and multiple picks to ORL" rumor

bird rights won't mean dick to a guy who wants no part of the team. Look at how Ray left.

Dwight isn't staying no matter what. To be honest, the longer things go, I think the less desperate teams will be to trade for him.

What if the Lakers have a #1 record come January? Do they move Bynum, then? And if not, then there is no leverage for Orlando with him to use on other teams.

Honestly, I think Dwight is gone by the end of the month, but definitely before the season starts. If the season starts, I think it's way too risky for Orlando.

Ray Allen is old as hell and just wanted to ring chase with as minimal effort on his part as possible, who cares. This is Dwight's last big deal before he reaches his 30s; money matters, it's why Dwight was so desperate to get traded to the Nets instead of just walking their as a free agent.

I think Dwight will be in Houston before the season begins but if for some reason he isn't and the offers don't improve then I imagine Hennigan will just see if he's really willing to take a 30 million dollar haircut, especially when the only team he wants to go to is super capped out. And if anyone says DUDDDUR YOU CANT LET HIM WALK FOR NOTHING TAKE R SHITSANDWHICH DERP they can go fuck themselves.

Mxrz

Don't think Hedo qualifies as our worst contract any more. I doubt very many teams see any value left in J-Rich, so any deal needs to involve his 3-4 years.

I agree, I'd rather have the rockets rookies/picks more than anything at this point.

* Get on the horn with whoever is running NO. Maybe they're idiots. Davis + whatever. Gogogo.

Well he's definitely getting a lottery guaranteed/protected pick from TOR via HOU. And he'd get another of the young guys and probably dump at least Hedo. That's better than Dwight walking and better than building around Bynum imo

I'm not really familiar with any revised deal. All I ever saw was the garbage "all the bad contracts and Dwight to HOU, all the young guys and multiple picks to ORL" rumor

KMart, Lamb, Parsons, Jones + the Toronto and Dallas pick

for

Dwight, J-Rich

The Magic need to pay someone and Hedo and Duhon are partially non-guaranteed next season so I don't see why those two need to be sent to Houston.

LuchaShaq

Banned
I can think of 20+ PGs better than Lin. I can't do the same with Amare. He is a top player when he gets his touches and that should be there with Felton and Kidd

Even if they made the same money there are 20 better Pfs, defense and rebounding still matter.

Bosh
Boozer
Milsap
Love
Aldridge
Blake
Pau
Randolph
Jefferson
Dirk
cousins
Monroe
Garnett
Duncan
David lee yes that David led is a better player at this point
Ryan Andersen
ibaka
Sullinger

Hell and a bunch of young guys I'd take over amare in a year let alone three.
Thompson
Davis
Robinson
Taj Gibson (miles better on d and rebounding already)

Amare is on the same level as garbagani/scola

I'm not even sure amare is as good as big baby who at least does well in the playoffs.

There isn't a single good nba team that would start amare even if they got him for the veteran minimum.

squicken

KMart, Lamb, Parsons, Jones + the Toronto and Dallas pick

for

Dwight, J-Rich

The Magic need to pay someone and Hedo and Duhon are partially non-guaranteed next season so I don't see why those two need to be sent to Houston.

That's definitely a better deal than initially floated. The only NBA forum I read is this one so I don't know all the contract #s. I do know HOU really likes Lamb and Jones. Parsons seems to me the guy who obviously moves, along with KMart of course.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
I turned on my TV this morning to watch Boomer & Carton. Realizing that it was on MSG, I quickly changed the channel to prevent Dolan from receiving any sort of compensation/satisfaction.

isB05IJXaTS1y.gif

...sigh.

etiolate

Banned
http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2012/7/18/3166975/sacramento-kings-salary-cap-tyreke-evans

I can't wait to choke to death from laughing after some inept GM offers Reke a full max deal or a poison pill contract next offseason.

I hope we start aggressively pushing for trades if he continues to underperform through the first half of this season.

Sounds about right.

MaDOOF-esque

Yeah, I was just thinking about this situation last night. The team is at salary cap. (Yes, they spent all their cap to become a 30 win team.) You have rookie contracts to add to that. Any trades that happen will be with those future extensions in mind. As in, they won't be trading Salmons for a big time player with a contract that would keep them from being able to extend Cousins.

My hope is that the start of the season is a trial period for Evans. If he shows up as the same player he has been for three straight seasons, then I think they pretty much have to trade him mid-season.

As to why the team spent their cap the way they did, I'm not sure. I remember a tidbit attributed to Stern about being wary of teams using revenue sharing as a way to be a non-competitive money maker. As in, don't think you can just not spend any of your salary cap and expect to profit off of the teams that do.

Nash as a Lakers made me sad a little at first, mainly because he's not wearing #13. However, I'll enjoy watching you guys this up coming season. He's still my favourite guy in the NBA at the moment. Glad he didn't go to the Heat, I'd have really been tested.

Bynum to the Cavs would be a pretty significant leap for them but you have to wonder what assets they'd be willing to give up and if they'd be at all inticing to Orlando. An unprotected 2013 1st + Zeller and some other teams late 1sts? Seems kind of weak.

Nelo Ice

Banned
And looks like Jamison signing is about to be official.
Marc J. Spears ‏@SpearsNBAYahoo
Lakers have agreed to a one-year deal paying the minimum with free agent forward Antawn Jamison, a source tells Yahoo! Sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom