• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT2| Lakers Fans Despise Freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pimpwerx

Without injuries, that Laker team would be pretty heavy favorites. Nash is arguably the best offensive player in the NBA and Dwight is the best defender and rebounded and finisher and arguably the best low-post scorer in the NBA and then there's Kobe and Pau. OKC and SAS could still beat them though if they catch fire because the perimeter defense should be pretty bad and be covered up and thus ignored by the fact that Dwight will turn them into top 3 defensively in the regular season.

I don't think he gets traded to LA though. At least not in this scenario.

Lakers will be lucky to get past OKC. People forget that just a month ago, they were penciling OKC in as a dynasty, despite Dwight being on the move. They haven't grabbed anyone noteworth in FA, but they were head and shoulders above the rest of the west last season.

The problem for the Lakers is that OKC's strengths are LA's weaknesses, and it's not like OKC has a frontcourt that's gonna struggle against Dwight+Pau. Perk+Iblocka is a solid frontcourt, and they have the best backcourt in the league. Nash, Kobe and Metta can do nothing to stop Russ, Harden and Durant. And it's not like Dwight blocking the paint is something that's gonna scare them. They can kill you from the perimeter. PJ3 was also a nice addition to an already solid bench, and they should have Maynor back.

What's gonna happen when OKC gets Dwight in foul trouble quickly? There's no bench. Pau gonna make up the difference? Career role player Jamison? Dwight can go to BK or LA...it's not gonna make a difference. It's not like he's a big improvement over Bynum either. Miami and OKC will still be the teams to beat this season. Lakers should make the WCF though...unless they have chemistry issues. PEACE.

Damage control? Im saying right now that if Dwight goes to LA they will still lose to OKC in 5 or 6. This is just like you all overrating the greatest team in NBA history™ when I told yall OKC was gonna get in that ass. But like I said plan your parade by all means bruh bruh

Like he should.

Um dwight? If he doesn't have a few easy moves to make I love our chances. And Lebron averaged like 40 in a series against one of the top teams in the league anchored by Dwight and still beasts against Dwight teams to this day. Again Im not scared one bit....

Why wouldn't he get easy looks against Anthony, Juwan Howard and Bosh? If you switch Bosh to C, Pau will rape Haslem.

Not to mention Metta playing man to man on Bron with Dwight behind him.

Cole and Chalmers on Nash? Bwahah

Heat would be so fucked against a Dwight LAL. Ray Allen would be the only guy not facing a huge defensive challenge due to LA's shit 3 point protection.

Lakers will be lucky to get past OKC. People forget that just a month ago, they were penciling OKC in as a dynasty, despite Dwight being on the move. They haven't grabbed anyone noteworth in FA, but they were head and shoulders above the rest of the west last season.

The problem for the Lakers is that OKC's strengths are LA's weaknesses, and it's not like OKC has a frontcourt that's gonna struggle against Dwight+Pau. Perk+Iblocka is a solid frontcourt, and they have the best backcourt in the league. Nash, Kobe and Metta can do nothing to stop Russ, Harden and Durant. And it's not like Dwight blocking the paint is something that's gonna scare them. They can kill you from the perimeter. PJ3 was also a nice addition to an already solid bench, and they should have Maynor back.

What's gonna happen when OKC gets Dwight in foul trouble quickly? There's no bench. Pau gonna make up the difference? Career role player Jamison? Dwight can go to BK or LA...it's not gonna make a difference. It's not like he's a big improvement over Bynum either. Miami and OKC will still be the teams to beat this season. Lakers should make the WCF though...unless they have chemistry issues. PEACE.

Antawn, believe it or not, should be huge off the bench. I know he's toast but he still averaged 19 a game last season. Even if he can just average like 12-13 a game, that's double our what out best scorer off the bench did last year.

]Lakers will be lucky to get past OKC.[/B] People forget that just a month ago, they were penciling OKC in as a dynasty, despite Dwight being on the move. They haven't grabbed anyone noteworth in FA, but they were head and shoulders above the rest of the west last season.

The problem for the Lakers is that OKC's strengths are LA's weaknesses, and it's not like OKC has a frontcourt that's gonna struggle against Dwight+Pau
. Perk+Iblocka is a solid frontcourt, and they have the best backcourt in the league. Nash, Kobe and Metta can do nothing to stop Russ, Harden and Durant. And it's not like Dwight blocking the paint is something that's gonna scare them. They can kill you from the perimeter. PJ3 was also a nice addition to an already solid bench, and they should have Maynor back.

People really keep forgetting that the Lakers were 2 chokejob away from being up 3-1 in that series.

and Oh the backcourt defense is crazy on this USA team.

Omega

Banned
Since when did it become cool to say Dwight isn't a great player?

He is a great player.

Someone in this thread keeps saying he's Top 2 in the league. I also have a problem with calling him a great center. The only decent ones either don't give a fuck (Bynum) or are constantly injured (Bogut)

Dude would have gotten eaten up in any other era. Fuck outta here with that shit.

Pimpwerx

People really keep forgetting that the Lakers were 2 chokejob away from being up 3-1 in that series.

and Oh the backcourt defense is crazy on this USA team.

No one gave Miami fans that argument with the 2011 Finals, so I don't know why Lakers fans would expect the same consideration. You guys lost in 5. There is no moral victory in getting stomped in 5. PEACE.

I don't understand how an isolation scorer is more useful for the Heat than the best defender, rebounder, and finisher in the NBA would be. Because Wade and LeBron already do the iso stuff and you could probably play LeBron at the 4 and get another shooter if Dwight was protecting the paint.

Pimpwerx

no and no.

How is Bosh not more useful for us? Did Dwight develop a midrange game while laid up with a bad back? As for Wade being better than Dwight, I'll leave that alone. That's a subjective debate that's been going on for a few years now. But Bosh is definitely a bigger piece for us than Dwight. If we traded Bosh for Dwight, our offense would stink. Teams would clog the lanes to no end. PEACE.

Bosh is far more useful for Miami, and Wade is a better player than Dwight. This is a wing's game now. PEACE.

Really Bosh is more useful and DWade is better? What makes you say that? And why do people keep saying Dwight would get eaten up in any other era. What does it matter? He didn't play then he plays now and he's dominant.

Emwitus

He is a great player.

Someone in this thread keeps saying he's Top 2 in the league. I also have a problem with calling him a great center. The only decent ones either don't give a fuck (Bynum) or are constantly injured (Bogut)

Dude would have gotten eaten up in any other era. Fuck outta here with that shit.

Dwight could have easily developed an olajuwon type game but i guess it's not what he wanted. I saw him working out with him but i wish he would have done it earlier on in his career.

Pimpwerx

I don't understand how an isolation scorer is more useful for the Heat than the best defender, rebounder, and finisher in the NBA would be. Because Wade and LeBron already do the iso stuff and you could probably play LeBron at the 4 and get another shooter if Dwight was protecting the paint.

Bosh is one of the best shooting bigs in the league. Spaces the floor really well, rebounds fine (when he tries like he did in the Finals) and is also an excellent defender. It's not like teams eat us up inside, and that's supposed to be our weakness. PEACE.

How is Bosh not more useful for us? Did Dwight develop a midrange game while laid up with a bad back? As for Wade being better than Dwight, I'll leave that alone. That's a subjective debate that's been going on for a few years now. But Bosh is definitely a bigger piece for us than Dwight. If we traded Bosh for Dwight, our offense would stink. Teams would clog the lanes to no end. PEACE.

Dwight is objectively better than Wade.

No one gave Miami fans that argument with the 2011 Finals, so I don't know why Lakers fans would expect the same consideration. You guys lost in 5. There is no moral victory in getting stomped in 5. PEACE.

I'm not talking about moral victory here. The point is if the Lakers were able to do that without Dwight or Nash and a really crappy bench.

Not sure why the era argument is only used against Dwight (I actually do, it's because people undervalue defense and size/athleticism a great deal and want to marginalize the players who are great because of those factors). If Dwight played in the 90s, he wouldn't be as great, but Shaq played today, he'd be a lot worse. Shaq's teams would be terrible defensively in this era where 85% of the playbook is pick-and-roll. In the end, it doesn't matter at all for either player...

charsace

Lakers would still lose to the Thunder. The current NBA is built for perimeter players and that makes OKC a tough team to beat. The Lakers biggest problem is that they are old and lack depth on the perimeter. They didn't address the perimeter and that will hurt them again next season.

Ahhh Why not Chuckbrook why not?

Lakers would still lose to the Thunder. The current NBA is built for perimeter players and that makes OKC a tough team to beat. The Lakers biggest problem is that they are old and lack depth on the perimeter. They didn't address the perimeter and that will hurt them again next season.

well we'll see soon enough when the season starts.

Why wouldn't he get easy looks against Anthony, Juwan Howard and Bosh? If you switch Bosh to C, Pau will rape Haslem.

Not to mention Metta playing man to man on Bron with Dwight behind him.

Cole and Chalmers on Nash? Bwahah

Heat would be so fucked against a Dwight LAL. Ray Allen would be the only guy not facing a huge defensive challenge due to LA's shit 3 point protection.

Because we play good D on entry passes. Dwight ain't catching to many gimmes against us and lol at him trying to make a move. And who the fuck would guard Bosh for that matter?

Bron will feast with Mettas stiff ass on him. Nash doesn't exactly fill it up these days either and with his recent trend of turnovers I don't really see him as much of a threat alone.

This is all irrelevant though because this lakers team doesn't make it past OKC...

I find the argument that Dwight is only good because all of the other centers suck funny.

This may be true but...uh...isn't the fact that he's the only good center left a good thing and that having that advantage would help a team greatly?

It's that reason why putting Dwight on almost every team in the League would make them a playoff team at worst.

That advantage is pretty damn big.

He lacks reading comprehension. "More useful" doesn't mean "better". It means better for us, that's all. Dude's got issues. That's why I have him on ignore. PEACE.
"better for us" as an argument is so misconstrued. why would we argue if dwight is a better fit in a fantastical scenario where he's in miami and i might add will never happen in this trade scenario we're talking about.
its pointless, we might as well argue who's a better fit in miami now, magic johnson or bosh
and someone quote me so his delicate flowery feelings can read this

He is a great player.

So much truth..

Nelo Ice

Banned
How in the world is Ariza's agent an idiot???

Dude got paid.

Mitch was going to give him the same exact contract and he tried holding out in a futile attempt to get even more money. Instead Mitch went out and got Metta while Ariza was left going to Houston with the same contract he would've gotten in LA.

He is a great player.

but he's not playing in that era...

He's playing in a era in which he has a insane advantage over his peers.

That is pretty important bro.

The fact that Dwight is one of the best rebounders and help defenders in NBA history is also pretty important. Basketball is a 5 on 5 sport, not a series of 1 on 1 matchups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom