• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT2| Lakers Fans Despise Freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

linsivvi

Wasn't there a rumor last week that the Rockets was trying to get Aaron Brooks back from the Suns?

You know, that guy who just lost to Starbury.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Wasn't there a rumor last week that the Rockets was trying to get Aaron Brooks back from the Suns?

You know, that guy who just lost to Starbury.

Starbury is super talented.. Just because the dude is crazy doesn't mean he isn't a straight bucket machine..

Pkaz01

We're gonna match at this point.

We can't sign and trade him to you all so there is no way we just let him walk for nothing.

Yea it would make no sense hopefully he gets over it and doesn't cause too many problems.

I am just content that the suns front office went after him aggressively and got him to commit. Didn't expect free agents to want to go to phoenix even though there with other options that could have paid them similar money.

"Dwight how would you like to go to a watered down version of the team you've hated being on for the past two years, with no up and coming talent, no draft picks, in a more talent dense conference and in an even shittier city?"

43009519:jpeg_preview_large.jpg

Jonm1010

Banned
Yea it would make no sense hopefully he gets over it and doesn't cause too many problems.

I am just content that the suns front office went after him aggressively and got him to commit. Didn't expect free agents to want to go to phoenix even though there with other options that could have paid them similar money.

I'm actually more surprised Phoenix didn't ask him to hold off on signing to try and facilitate a sign and trade.

I feel like the Hornets are in a place that if Phoenix got Gordon to keep making enough noise we would have just said "fuck it, were rebuilding anyways, give us some picks and a young player and let's call it a day."

I just hope he comes back with a better attitude since Davis really impressed me tonight(yeah it was garbage time but still) and we don't need a locker room cancer fucking his development up.

Pkaz01

I'm actually more surprised Phoenix didn't ask him to hold off on signing to try and facilitate a sign and trade.

I feel like the Hornets are in a place that if Phoenix got Gordon to keep making enough noise we would have just said "fuck it, were rebuilding anyways, give us some picks and a young player and let's call it a day."

I just hope he comes back with a better attitude since Davis really impressed me tonight(yeah it was garbage time but still) and we don't need a locker room cancer fucking his development up.

I think the suns are kind of in the same position so they were like hey if he comes over without us giving up talent we will take it but seeing as how new orleans is going to want some decent young players in return and the suns don't really have many to trade they probably said we are better off waiting until a max worthy player comes along that they won't need to give up talent for/need to worry about injuries.

I wouldn't mind if we slightly overpaid for gordon with the max contract but giving up talent just to do it is kind of too much just to be in mediocrity.

squicken

I'm not going to get too worked up until I see the final deal. That proposed deal that has been attributed to Larry Coon is awful for HOU. Only upside is they keep their own future draft picks.

It's kind of strange that after all this time the Bulls still don't know if they want to mach on Asik

Smokey

if you're going to take it might as well get the lube ready

morey has the lube ready

fucking double chin fuck giving up an entire team for this dude only to become the EXACT SAME TEAM HE'S ON, BUT IN THE WEST

oh and he's back is broke you say? that's nice

squicken

if you're going to take it might as well get the lube ready

morey has the lube ready

fucking double chin fuck giving up an entire team for this dude only to become the EXACT SAME TEAM HE'S ON, BUT IN THE WEST

oh and he's back is broke you say? that's nice

How many times has he been fleeced in his tenure? He's usually the guy that comes out ahead. All of this is rumor. If this deal was out there, why did Hennigan go back to Dwight to see if he would stay? Wouldn't he have taken it immediately? I just refuse to believe Morey will willingly let his team become Orlando West. He'd walk before doing the deal as presently suggested.

Nelo Ice

Banned
How many times has he been fleeced in his tenure? He's usually the guy that comes out ahead. All of this is rumor. If this deal was out there, why did Hennigan go back to Dwight to see if he would stay? Wouldn't he have taken it immediately? I just refuse to believe Morey will willingly let his team become Orlando West. He'd walk before doing the deal as presently suggested.

Yeah when is the last time the full details of a trade got out and it actually went through? Not sure what is happening besides Orlando seemingly leaking everything left and right. If this deal is on the table then Hennigan would've taken it and ran by now.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Also if theres one thing to be learned from the entire Dwight debacle is that there is a chasm of disconnect between what Dwight wants and what everybody whos making money off of Dwight wants. All these quotes saying Dwight has no interest in staying or signing an extension are coming from his handlers and not Dwight himself.

Dwight has never once said that he wants to enter free agency, he decided to not opt out when everybody expected him to, and now that Brooklyn is basically out of the picture what does he really want? And whatever it is that he wants is it worth leaving tens of millions on the table?

The Rockets are getting fleeced in that hypothetical but what are they really giving up? Some young players who don't have the potential to become legitimate franchise stars, certainly none in the light of somebody like Dwight who at worst is one of the 5 best players in the league. Convincing him to stay would make that entire package easily worth it.

Duhon is a nonfactor as he's off the books anyway next year. And either Hedo who is also off the books or J-Rich who would be a major contributor isn't exactly the end of the world. As much as I loathe Big Baby he definitely isn't as awful as he was last year, a change of scenery and new coaching will probably help him out a bit. And Scola wasn't exactly a world beater anyway.

So yeah as hilarious as the deal seems at first glance I can kind of see what Morey is going for. When you have the chance to get one of the best players in the league for a package of youngins who won't ever amount to anything and some picks you go for it.

squicken

So yeah as hilarious as the deal seems at first glance I can kind of see what Morey is going for. When you have the chance to get one of the best players in the league for a package of youngins who won't ever amount to anything and some picks you go for it.

It's not what they are giving up. It's that they are taking back all the bad contracts. It's why I don't believe this rumor. They will definitely be taking back some bad contracts. But not all of the bad contracts.

What are Orlando's two worst contracts?

benjipwns

Banned
A week or so ago there was a story that Dwight has barely talked to his agent in forever and that nobody knew who was the inner circle actually making the decisions.

Him opting back in suddenly last season did seem like his decision, overriding what he had been told to do, and probably what his agent would want.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
It's not what they are giving up. It's that they are taking back all the bad contracts. It's why I don't believe this rumor. They will definitely be taking back some bad contracts. But not all of the bad contracts.

What are Orlando's two worst contracts?

Big Baby is the worst of their contracts. J-Rich is making the same money but wasn't downright putrid last season. Him for 6 mil per year, considering all the craziness going on this free agency, isn't exactly an awful contract. Hedo and Duhon are both bad contracts for the purpose of this year but they are both off the books anyway next season

That isn't exactly the end of the world to take back in order to get Dwight Howard.

Getting Dwight leaves the Rockets with two outcomes.

He either leaves and they are back into suck mode with no chance of winning a title. Which they've been doing every year without Dwight in the post Yao days anyway. If they don't land Dwight they are still stuck in this rut, and the worst case scenario in this league is continually being stuck at mediocre.

Or he decides to stay and the Rockets have one of the best players in the league, a guy they can build around for years to come and make themselves contenders for a championship.

Got today off and I'm watching the Thunder and Jazz play right now. Jeremy Evans looks like a baller to me. It's too bad the Jazz are overloaded at his position, because I'd really like to see what he could do with more minutes.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
For this trade to make any sense at all Dwight must have signed an extension. Otherwise Morey is the worst GM, by far, in the entire NBA.

If Dwight said he was going to agree to an extension with whatever team they traded him to then the Magic would end up doing a whole lot better than that package.

The Rockets could have done nothing this year and had the cap room to go after Dwight + other guys in free agency. They chose not to for a reason. There are going to be tons of teams that have cap room to go after guys and only one team is going to get said guys. Everybody else continues their futility, maybe even entering another decade of irrelevance like the Knicks.

benjipwns

Banned
I'm surprised there isn't 2,000 more Trade Machine links in this thread by now.
Not enough players are actually on rosters to facilitate trades. Plus it's so hard to top the one that gets you a legit starting forward combo in Charlie V and Tayshaun Prince. But Joe D knows better than to give this up for an offensive liability.

diehard

Fleer
Got today off and I'm watching the Thunder and Jazz play right now. Jeremy Evans looks like a baller to me. It's too bad the Jazz are overloaded at his position, because I'd really like to see what he could do with more minutes.

he is really fun to watch.

especially because about half his points come from alley-oops

even in the SL , OKC parades to the line.. smh

The Rockets plan on using the amnesty clause to waive PF Luis Scola, which would clear roughly $21 million in salary space to make a run at not only C Dwight Howard now, but possibly PG Chris Paul a year from now.
If the Rockets follow through on their plan to amnesty Scola they'd be able to handle two max deals, after letting two excellent point guards (Goran Dragic and Kyle Lowry) and Scola go, which would put them in position to make a real run at Paul next summer. And if they can get Howard on board (with both the plan and in a Rockets uniform), anything is possible here.
Morey has a master plan. There was no way he was gonna give up the farm for a one-year rental. So Dwight and CP3, scary...

Kogepan

Morey has a master plan. There was no way he was gonna give up the farm for a one-year rental. So Dwight and CP3, scary...

why would Chris Paul leave LA/Griffin for Houston?

People write these stories like theres no other team's with cap space. When has Houston EVER landed a top tier free agent?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

People write these stories like theres no other team's with cap space. When has Houston EVER landed a top tier free agent?

Thats exactly why they want to trade for him in the first place.

The Deron Williams approach worked. You trade for a guy and have an entire year to convince him that this franchise is the right one for him.

Maybe CP3 sees that Blake has 2-3 years left in him before his reckless style of play comes back to haunt him and knees start disintegrating? Maybe he doesn't like it in LA for some reason? I dunno, none of us know. Morey obviously knows something tho cause no GM's dumb enough to give up their entire team for a one-year rental.

Thats exactly why they want to trade for him in the first place.

The Deron Williams approach worked. You trade for a guy and have an entire year to convince him that this franchise is the right one for him.
Yup

Enron

Banned
Maybe CP3 sees that Blake has 2-3 years left in him before his reckless style of play comes back to haunt him and knees start disintegrating? Maybe he doesn't like it in LA for some reason? I dunno, none of us know. Morey obviously knows something tho cause no GM's dumb enough to give up their entire team for a one-year rental.

Yup

2-3 years? wtf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom