• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT2| Lakers Fans Despise Freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to understand the rules etc.

NBA rules or Olympic basketball rules?

Or just basketball in general?

Thanks. I quite enjoyed the little bit that I watched,

Seems like basketball in general. The links provided are a good start. The basic rules is all you need to know what going on.

Learn:

Double dribbling
Traveling
fouling
shot clock
Free throws
3 point line
3 seconds in the key

That's about all I can think of you need to know off the top of my head to have a good idea about the game as you're watching it,

I disagree...when I watched him there simply too many times where he didnt give a fuck

phil jackson even kinda took a poke at him when he said "his next step is accepting to be the captain on defense" or something like that

I've seen almost every game he's ever played, and I don't agree. Phil just being Phil means nothing.

I take it there's a difference? I suppose NBA.

check my edit to that post.

NBA, college, and Euro ball only have a few rule differences that don't really change the game much.

http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_index.html Are the official NBA rules. But the stuff is technical and even I need to decipher it.

The stuff I mentioned earlier is what you want to learn.

A couple other things to learn after are things like

Pick and Roll or Pick and Pop
Screens
And learn terms like "rebounds" and "assists"

it's a super easy game to follow, like soccer.

Salvadora

check my edit to that post.

NBA, college, and Euro ball only have a few rule differences that don't really change the game much.

http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_index.html Are the official NBA rules. But the stuff is technical and even I need to decipher it.

The stuff I mentioned earlier is what you want to learn.

A couple other things to learn after are things like

Pick and Roll or Pick and Pop
Screens
And learn terms like "rebounds" and "assists"

it's a super easy game to follow, like soccer.
Thanks guys, I'll try to follow it this season & like you guessed I'm a football fan.

Thanks guys, I'll try to follow it this season & like you guessed I'm a football fan.

haha, I wasn't actually guessing you're a futbol fan, just personally find basketball as easy to pick up as soccer. Compared to American football and baseball which is way more technical and harder to follow when learning about the sports.

If you're British (based on your Arsenal mention), the Chicago Bulls have Luol Deng who played for the British squad in the Olympics. He's a pretty good player.

is that a dynasty or a midrange team? Sorry I don't follow football

they're a top flight franchise. Man U is probably like the Lakers. Maybe Arsenal is the Bull or Celtics?

edit: Nuggets would be a fun team to watch, I agree.

Salvadora

haha, I wasn't actually guessing you're a futbol fan, just personally find basketball as easy to pick up as soccer. Compared to American football and baseball which is way more technical and harder to follow when learning about the sports.

If you're British (based on your Arsenal mention), the Chicago Bulls have Luol Deng who played for the British squad in the Olympics. He's a pretty good player.

they're a top flight franchise. Man U is probably like the Lakers. Maybe Arsenal is the Bull or Celtics?

is that a dynasty or a midrange team? Sorry I don't follow football
Arsenal are a team forever on the verge of greatness if they didn't keep selling their best players, by choice or forced. Tend to collapse mentally nearing the end of a season. I think I'll watch a bit before making a choice.

The Warriors are a potential up and coming team that could be fun to watch. got Bogut for D and Lee + Curry + Klay for offense.

Arsenal are a team forever on the verge of greatness if they didn't keep selling their best players, by choice or forced. Tend to collapse mentally nearing the end of a season. I think I'll watch a bit before making a choice.

Good call. Lakers, Heat, Thunder, Spurs are the best teams right now. Bulls when their star player is healthy up there. If you want to avoid a pure bandwagon. Don't be a Celtics fan, though. No one likes them.

pilonv1

The Warriors are a potential up and coming team that could be fun to watch. got Bogut for D and Lee + Curry + Klay for offense.

You're forgetting Black Falcon and Rush.

Rodeo Clown said:
Like those dudes are going to last a whole season

At least this year if Curry goes down they have Jarrett Jack and not Nate Rob. I'm more worried about Bogut than Curry.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
So there's no real equivalent of relegation, Just three divisions in each conference? Please tell me some transfer muppetry exists.

Well, there's free agency and trades. But selling players doesn't happen. Not technically. Players occasionally get traded for conditional second round draft picks the team will never see instead.

SamuraiX-

So there's no real equivalent of relegation, Just three divisions in each conference? Please tell me some transfer muppetry exists.

Nothing like in soccer (football). The divisions themselves are pretty useless in general. 99.9% time you only hear people talk about the Western and Eastern conferences in terms of where a team plays and the strength of competition. The West has been and still remains the tougher conference to play in since the mid-late 90s.

In the NBA, there's only trades, not transfers. The basic idea is that if you want to trade one player for another player, the yearly salaries between those two players must be within a certain range of each other. There's no "transfer fee" or anything like that. If you want to know about all the exceptions and other rules, Black Mamba reads that kinda shit for fun so he could tell you more.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
In the NBA, there's only trades, not transfers. The basic idea is that if you want to trade one player for another player, the yearly salaries between those two players must be within a certain range of each other.

Unless one team is far enough under the cap that they can absorb salary. Or they have a trade exception they can slot a player into.

giga

Salvadora

Well, there's free agency and trades. But selling players doesn't happen. Not technically. Players occasionally get traded for conditional second round draft picks the team will never see instead.

Nothing like in soccer (football). The divisions themselves are pretty useless in general. 99.9% time you only hear people talk about the Western and Eastern conferences in terms of where a team plays and the strength of competition. The West has been and still remains the tougher conference to play in since the mid-late 90s.

In the NBA, there's only trades, not transfers. The basic idea is that if you want to trade one player for another player, the yearly salaries between those two players must be within a certain range of each other. There's no "transfer fee" or anything like that. If you want to know about all the exceptions and other rules, Black Mamba reads that kinda shit for fun though, so he could tell you more.
We have trades in football as well although they are a bit rarer these days. Trading could be very cool & something very interesting.

typical mynum

they look like philly sweats to me, unless this is a photoshop

A0Oi8JQCcAAraKp.jpg

SamuraiX-

We have trades in football as well although they are a bit rarer these days. Trading could be very cool & something very interesting.

Yeah, trades are pretty much everything in the NBA. Although making good, reasonable trades is seemingly an extinct possibility for most team general managers around the league nowadays.

If you see a trade happen or read about one that happened and you're first thought is that it doesn't make any sense, then it probably doesn't.

The Spurs and Nuggets play extremely fast and score a ton of points.
The Bulls, Grizzlies, Hornets, and Jazz play extremely hard.
The Kings and Knicks have massive disfunction
The Heat and Thunder are great teams with incredible players
Becoming a Laker or Celtic fan is not a good idea.

SamuraiX-

The Spurs and Nuggets play extremely fast and score a ton of points.
The Bulls, Grizzlies, Hornets, and Jazz play extremely hard.
The Kings and Knicks have massive disfunction
The Heat and Thunder are great teams with incredible players
Becoming a Laker or Celtic fan is not a good idea.

paint yo face, clown

no relegation. 3 division winners, but 5 others make the playoffs. 8 in each conference.

Divisions don't matter much, anymore. Conferences still do.

Every team plays the other conference 2 times a season (home and away). You play everyone in your division 4 times. You play 6 other teams in your conference 4 times, the other 4 3 times. It rotates every year, but I'm not sure the criteria. 82 games total.

Division winner guaranteed a top 4 seed but better record has home court advantage. Playoffs are best of 7 series. East vs West for the Finals.

Every season has a trading deadline in February where things ramp up. Won't see many trades during the season until then. And trades during the offseason, usually around the draft.

Trades are a big deal. Teams don't keep many players for very long unless they're a top 10 player. And even then, players tend to leave for another team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom