• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT3| The Barclays Center is covered in rust

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I like Simmons but he will be terrible in that environment. ESPN is shooting for a TNT like show but you can't just create that chemistry. Simmons' act doesn't play with casual halftime watchers. It's going to be Kornheiser on MNF all over again.

Dennis Miller era bad..

If it was JVG it would be awesome... But Stan?

I can't wait for Simmons to start purposing random trades that don't work under the CBA and don't make much sense at all in terms of value either at halftime. And then to go on with those fake trades for a long period of the time while the other people on the broadcast stare at him in confusion.

Blackace

I can't wait for Simmons to start purposing random trades that don't work under the CBA and don't make much sense at all in terms of value either at halftime. And then to go on with those fake trades for a long period of the time while the other people on the broadcast stare at him in confusion.

The first time he compares SVG to Ron Jeremy...

KingGondo

Banned
He's shocking on PTI. He's not a host, and sounds so wooden talking about anything in a structured fashion.
I actually think he's good on PTI. And there's no way that there won't be entertainment with him and Stan Van on set.

I'm just glad ESPN recognized the obvious--that their previous lineup was turrible and needed a shakeup.

The first time he compares SVG to Ron Jeremy...

or compares LeBron's performance to some episode of Beverly Hills 90210. Seriously the WORST thing for Simmons is the quick doses and fast takes required for a half time type show. There's a reason he sucked when he was at the Boston Globe and didn't take off until he started his own website where he could make 20,000 word columns filled with footnotes.

Is Charles Oakley any good in front of a camera? Give that man some tv time. We for sure will be hit with many instances of when keepin it real goes wrong.

pilonv1

I actually think he's good on PTI.

I just cant get into PTI unless it's Mike & Tony. Or LeBatard. A few weeks back when it was Broussard or Adande with Wilbon were insufferable.

And there's no way that there won't be entertainment with him and Stan Van on set.

I'm just glad ESPN recognized the obvious--that their previous lineup was turrible and needed a shakeup.

Agreed, I'd rather him than Broussard.

KingGondo

Banned
I just cant get into PTI unless it's Mike & Tony. Or LeBatard. A few weeks back when it was Broussard or Adande with Wilbon were insufferable.
Bill is the second-best replacement host behind Le Batard, IMO. As long as he's paired with Wilbon, at least.

I think he's smart enough to know his role and limit the pop culture references to Grantland.

pilonv1

Bill is the second-best replacement host behind Le Batard, IMO. As long as he's paired with Wilbon, at least.

I think he's smart enough to know his role and limit the pop culture references to Grantland.

I think it's the shows with him and Tony I can't stand. "Here's a pop culture reference you don't get Tony because you're old LOL".

pilonv1

Oakley/Rick Barry ftw

img17922231.jpg

Why are all of these top 100 NBA players lists still leaving Gordon Hayward? He had a pretty good year last year and there are guys who are just bad like Brandon Bass and JaVale McGee are getting in the top 100 ahead of him. I mean, I shouldn't care at all about the media's rankings of players, but Gordon Hayward is really good and Brandon Bass is bad and JaVale McGee was in contention for worst player in the NBA for most of last season.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Why are all of these top 100 NBA players lists still leaving Gordon Hayward? He had a pretty good year last year and there are guys who are just bad like Brandon Bass and JaVale McGee are getting in the top 100 ahead of him. I mean, I shouldn't care at all about the media's rankings of players, but Gordon Hayward is really good and Brandon Bass is bad and JaVale McGee was in contention for worst player in the NBA for most of last season.

The fuck?

Hayward wasn't that good last year. Definitely not a top 100 player.

The fuck?

Hayward wasn't that good last year. Definitely not a top 100 player.

Almost every plus or minus stat rated McGee as the worst player on the 2nd worst team in the NBA and the dude created one of the infamous failure reels ever last year and watching him showed clearly that he was the worst decision maker in the NBA.

Recon

Banned
Considering that there are 450 players at the max, it is safe to say Hayward could somehow find his way onto a top 100. It might take some Warner Bros. level of accounting magic, but its possible.

Triple U

Banned
In a league that has the likes of Kwame Brown and Raymond Felton, its pretty hard to say Mcgee is one of the 5 worse. He actually has worth on a basketball court. I expect him to have his best year this year now that he is playing with a real coach.

giri

McGee was fine with Denver. He just needed to get away from the fuckball shenanigans.

Just because McGee is a fucked in the head, doesn't mean he plays fuck ball. The wizzard just play horrible basketball... because they have horrible players. McGee being a major part of that.

In Denver he was masked, hidden, and traded for as cap relief.

He's legitimately one of the lowest IQ players in the NBA.

In a league that has the likes of Kwame Brown and Raymond Felton, its pretty hard to say Mcgee is one of the 5 worse. He actually has worth on a basketball court. I expect him to have his best year this year now that he is playing with a real coach.

I don't think being paid $11M Per year to provide comedy youtube highlight videos is really a "worth".

Triple U

Banned
Just because McGee is a fucked in the head, doesn't mean he plays fuck ball. The wizzard just play horrible basketball... because they have horrible players. McGee being a major part of that.

In Denver he was masked, hidden, and traded for as cap relief.

He's legitimately one of the lowest IQ players in the NBA.

I don't think being paid $11M Per year to provide comedy youtube highlight videos is really a "worth".

They have a horrible coach. One that no player can expect to grow under. A team full of rookies with no direction and nobody competent to guide them is a horrible enviroment.

Also, he only got that contract this year right? After he had that decent series against the Lakers. You should look at the denver behind the scenes show, he wasn't traded for relief. Especially considering the contract he ended up getting.

giri

They have a horrible coach. One that no player can expect to grow under. A team full of rookies with no direction and nobody competent to guide them is a horrible enviroment.

Also, he only got that contract this year right? After he had that decent series against the Lakers. You should look at the denver behind the scenes show, he wasn't traded for relief. Especially considering the contract he ended up getting.

They traded away NeNe for a short term contract because they wanted the salary relief.

When McGee had his one good game against the lakers, i called it, he was going to get his big contract.

He's just not a good player, because he's so basketball dumb. Yeah, the wizards are horrible, and were horrible, but he never even showed any actual player development. He never looked like he got better. And thats on him as much as any coach.

DMC plays on a team with probably as much/less talent, and he actually got better and gives more shits. And his owners are the worst in the league.

McGee's "Decent" series against the lakers was 9.8 rebounds and 8.6 points. He had a shittacular series. In fact, he only had 2 good games in a 7 game series. one with 16 pts and one with 21pts. out side of that he was terrible. Bynum, for comparison, who javale WAS guarding - 12.3reb 16.7pts, on .512 fg%

There's no doubting the guy has physical gifts. His vert is insane, he seems to be able to stay relatively injury free, and moves around the court relatively well. But not a single bit of that has been converted to NBA Skill. And he lacks a ton of the basics that a NBA Center who has a bad offensive game has to focus on, to make up for it. You're certainly not looking at him to anchor a great defensive team.

I'm not sure what value he has over someone like Ibaka, except that he's 2 inches taller, and Ibaka's contract was terrible too.

McGee is like that friend who when you play a pick up game with will for the sake of comedy scream "KAREEM!" and throw up an unorthodox sky hook just inside the 3 point line or if left wide open attempt a granny shot.

McGee does these things while getting paid and playing against professionals.

Triple U

Banned
They traded away NeNe for a short term contract because they wanted the salary relief.

When McGee had his one good game against the lakers, i called it, he was going to get his big contract.

He's just not a good player, because he's so basketball dumb. Yeah, the wizards are horrible, and were horrible, but he never even showed any actual player development. He never looked like he got better. And thats on him as much as any coach.

DMC plays on a team with probably as much/less talent, and he actually got better and gives more shits. And his owners are the worst in the league.

McGee's "Decent" series against the lakers was 9.8 rebounds and 8.6 points. He had a shittacular series. In fact, he only had 2 good games in a 7 game series. one with 16 pts and one with 21pts. out side of that he was terrible. Bynum, for comparison, who javale WAS guarding - 12.3reb 16.7pts, on .512 fg%

There's no doubting the guy has physical gifts. His vert is insane, he seems to be able to stay relatively injury free, and moves around the court relatively well. But not a single bit of that has been converted to NBA Skill. And he lacks a ton of the basics that a NBA Center who has a bad offensive game has to focus on, to make up for it. You're certainly not looking at him to anchor a great defensive team.

I'm not sure what value he has over someone like Ibaka, except that he's 2 inches taller, and Ibaka's contract was terrible too.

Dude what lol? Those are good numbers for a guy who plays about 20min a game, you really need to learn what decent means, there are players who played alot worse.

I don't see how the second best center in the league being the second best center in the league is supposed to be a slight against the kid.

Dude has his best year last year in Denver and Carl is pretty high on him. I trust his opinion alot more than I do yours.

ESPN was dumb to get rid of Greg Anthony.

Why don't they try to pry Chris Webber away now that he isn't in the studio for TNT?

There has to be better people than Simmons and SVG for this role. I don't know if anything can be worse than Broussard, Barry, Magic, and Wilbon, though. God, was that bad. Made me want Stu Scott back. And I can't stand him.

giri

Dude what lol? Those are good numbers for a guy who plays about 20min a game, you really need to learn what decent means, there are players who played alot worse.

I don't see how the second best center in the league being the second best center in the league is supposed to be a slight against the kid.

Dude has his best year last year in Denver and Carl is pretty high on him. I trust his opinion alot more than I do yours.

He played over 25mpg.

let his oponent beast on him

was worthless in any other "non-statistical" facet of the game

has been a waste of space for years.

negatively impacts his team

redfines the word decent.

Ok dude, you keep on cheering for him. I'm sure i'll hear from you when he drops his annual 20-10 next year and you'll blow him up.

Just realise perkins is more valuable than he is. Thats where mcgee ranks. May also want to remember that this guy has 150% more double doubles than your guy in 1/2 the number of seasons. In the west. On a team with worse resources.

Javale McGee, redefining "decent".

cdyhybrid

Would you want an expansion franchise or a team to relocate?

Expansion would be bad, as already mentioned. League would be hurt by adding more teams.

Hornets to Seattle with the Bobcats getting the old logo back is the best option for everyone.

The first Thunder game in Seattle would be incredible.

I'd love this. I'll take any team I can get, though. If I had my way I'd grab the Kings because I'm obviously a UW fan and would love to rock an Isaiah Thomas Sonics jersey.

giri

Last thing the league needs is another expansion team. Take the Kings, Bobcats or Hornets.

Hornets to Seattle with the Bobcats getting the old logo back is the best option for everyone.

Never happen, Hornetts new owner has them locked in for a while.

I think the Wizards were/are up for sale?

But bobcats aren't going anywhere with jordon running the place

The best bet is the kings, but the maloofs seem determined to hold onto them, but run them as a for profit only, team.

The pistons are up for sale too, aren't they? And the bucks owner sounds disillusioned with the NBA...

co-signed. It'd basically be removal of the Bobcats.

Hornets become Seattle Sonics

Bobcats become Charlotte Hornets

New Orleans deals with it.

Triple U

Banned
He played over 25mpg.

let his oponent beast on him

was worthless in any other "non-statistical" facet of the game
has been a waste of space for years.

negatively impacts his team

redfines the word decent.

Ok dude, you keep on cheering for him. I'm sure i'll hear from you when he drops his annual 20-10 next year and you'll blow him up.

Just realise perkins is more valuable than he is. Thats where mcgee ranks. May also want to remember that this guy has 150% more double doubles than your guy in 1/2 the number of seasons. In the west. On a team with worse resources.

Javale McGee, redefining "decent".

Oh wow, is this the whole he has no heart thing? LOL. Seriously, he wasn't even a worst five center. I'd take him over perks stiff ass anyday.

NBA-GAF where being top 5 in certain categories essential to your postion makes you a worst-5 player. Oh and Mcgee isn't "my guy". Ask me about Kyrie...

giri

Oh wow, is this the whole he has no heart thing? LOL. Seriously, he wasn't even a worst five center. I'd take him over perks stiff ass anyday.

NBA-GAF where being top 5 in certain categories essential to your postion makes you a worst-5 player

out side of youtube blooper reals, what is he top 5 at?

and perkins is worth more.

until you actually start coming up with something other than "nah-uhhhhhhhhhs" this conversation is over. You're not backing it up in anyway.

McGee isn't worth anything. I'm embarrassed the suns signed beasley, but at lesat he has NBA Skills.

And i never said he had no heart, but he obviously doesnt' give much of a shit about the game. Only fucks he gives are to ho's he flys in. Then doesn't feed.

Triple U

Banned
out side of youtube blooper reals, what is he top 5 at?

and perkins is worth more.

until you actually start coming up with something other than "nah-uhhhhhhhhhs" this conversation is over. You're not backing it up in anyway.

McGee isn't worth anything. I'm embarrassed the suns signed beasley, but at lesat he has NBA Skills.

And i never said he had no heart, but he obviously doesnt' give much of a shit about the game. Only fucks he gives are to ho's he flys in. Then doesn't feed.

Blocks in the regular season, Blocks and Rebounds in the postseason. I really don't have to back it up because its retarded. Look at the list of centers in the NBA. Look at players. If you put him in the bottom five, you're an idiot. Point blank. I don't even like the guy that much, I just hate how much you underrate players.

Blackace

I'd love this. I'll take any team I can get, though. If I had my way I'd grab the Kings because I'm obviously a UW fan and would love to rock an Isaiah Thomas Sonics jersey.

Shit DMC, Evans, Thomas not bad talent level... just get rid of the owners and bring in Balmer..

giri

Blocks in the regular season, Blocks and Rebounds in the postseason. I really don't have to back it up because its retarded. Look at the list of centers in the NBA. Look at players. If you put him in the bottom five, you're an idiot. Point blank. I don't even like the guy that much, I just hate how much you underrate players.

Name centres he's actually better than.

And if you're argument is blocks, on a guy who is really bad at defense in general, then it's a failed argument.

I don't under rate players, i just accurately know that javale mcgee is going to lose his match up every game.

Brooke Lopez? better than McGee.

I mean, i look through the NBA Starting C list, and there isn't 5 C's he's better than. The Maybe list goes Meyers Leonard, Haywood (thought doubtful, Haywood is actually useful on defense), maybe DeAndre Jordan?

You have this inane habbit of just loving guys for no particularly good reason who don't really do very much at all.

Cause i was bored, i went through and found all the starting C's in the league. There are 6 (really 5, Bosh is listed as the starting C for the heat, but i added Joel just cause) players McGee might be better than. 6. And 3 of them are rookies.

Jonas Valanciunas
Gustavo Ayon
Meyers Leonard
DeAndre Jordon
Haywood
Joel Anthony

The full list taken from ESPN. (excluding McGee).

KG
Brooke Lopez
Tyson Chandler
Bynum
Jonas Valanciunas
Noah
Varjao
Monroe
Hibbert
Dalembert
Horford
Haywood
Bosh (Joel Anthony)
Gustavo Ayon
Nene
Al Jefferson
Meyers Leonard
Pekovic
Diaw
Anthony Davis
Asik
Kaman
DMC
Gortat
Dwight
DeAndre Jordon
Bogut

Yeah. McGee, redefining the word Decent.

Shit DMC, Evans, Thomas not bad talent level... just get rid of the owners and bring in Balmer..
I think Evans is almost lost, on that team. But most certainly under those owners. There are pieces to work with on the Kings though, thats for sure. DMC is the sort of guy you can probably build around, he goes for 20/10 season this year and ups that FG%, while still looking like he gives a shit about winning, Kings fans are going to be pissed when he leaves.

Blackace

I think Evans is almost lost, on that team. But most certainly under those owners. There are pieces to work with on the Kings though, thats for sure. DMC is the sort of guy you can probably build around, he goes for 20/10 season this year and ups that FG%, while still looking like he gives a shit about winning, Kings fans are going to be pissed when he leaves.

I like Evans for a piece to move

pilonv1

Never happen, Hornetts new owner has them locked in for a while.

I can dream. I don't like seeing places with history like Detroit sold and moved, or even somewhere like Sacramento.

No one cares about basketball in New Orleans, it's a football town.

Triple U

Banned
Name centres he's actually better than.

And if you're argument is blocks, on a guy who is really bad at defense in general, then it's a failed argument.

I don't under rate players, i just accurately know that javale mcgee is going to lose his match up every game.

Brooke Lopez? better than McGee.

I mean, i look through the NBA Starting C list, and there isn't 5 C's he's better than. The Maybe list goes Meyers Leonard, Haywood (thought doubtful, Haywood is actually useful on defense), maybe DeAndre Jordan?

You have this inane habbit of just loving guys for no particularly good reason who don't really do very much at all.

Cause i was bored, i went through and found all the starting C's in the league. There are 6 (really 5, Bosh is listed as the starting C for the heat, but i added Joel just cause) players McGee might be better than. 6. And 3 of them are rookies.

Jonas Valanciunas
Gustavo Ayon
Meyers Leonard
DeAndre Jordon
Haywood
Joel Anthony

The full list taken from ESPN. (excluding McGee).

KG
Brooke Lopez
Tyson Chandler
Bynum
Jonas Valanciunas
Noah
Varjao
Monroe
Hibbert
Dalembert
Horford
Haywood
Bosh (Joel Anthony)
Gustavo Ayon
Nene
Al Jefferson
Meyers Leonard
Pekovic
Diaw
Anthony Davis
Asik
Kaman
DMC
Gortat
Dwight
DeAndre Jordon
Bogut

Yeah. McGee, redefining the word Decent.

I'd add Diaw and Dalembert. And thats just starting centers, who you said there's five he's better than. Its a far cry from 5 worst players in the league. Its crazy how you yourself can point out your own hyperbole and still act like you are being reasonable. I don't want defend Mcghee because he's not really that good but I hate the hyperbole. This is the whole Rondo isn't an elite PG madness....

Oh and who is it that I "love for no good reason" who do "nothing at all"?

Blackace

I'd add Diaw and Dalembert. And thats just starting centers, who you said there's five he's better than. Its a far cry from 5 worst players in the league. Its crazy how you yourself can point out your own hyperbole and still act like you are being reasonable. I don't want defend Mcghee because he's not really that good but I hate the hyperbole. This is the whole Rondo isn't an elite PG madness....

Oh and who is it that I "love for no good reason" who do "nothing at all"?

5 or 6 centers who are better centers than McGee if you say one is D12 who is a top 3 or 4 player in the league where do you think the next best center ranks in the league overall maybe 15th or 20th? and do that until to McGee to see his worth..

the thing that sucks is he should be the 2nd best center in the league with his tools but he isn't

And Rondo isn't elite... good but not elite.. and neither is Tony Parker..

Triple U

Banned
5 or 6 centers who are better centers than McGee if you say one is D12 who is a top 3 or 4 player in the league where do you think the next best center ranks in the league overall maybe 15th or 20th? and do that until to McGee to see his worth..

the thing that sucks is he should be the 2nd best center in the league with his tools but he isn't

And Rondo isn't elite... good but not elite.. and neither is Tony Parker..

lol cmon man smh. I do think Mcgee should be elite though. Hopefully working with Dream would help.

Top Bottom