• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT3| The Barclays Center is covered in rust

I just rewatched Game 4 of the 87 Finals. shit is crazy. Blatant thuggery from Boston, James Worthy and Michael Cooper throwing punches, and no ejections.. when the nba was a mans league. that whole Celtics roster looked like they could've come from a shipyard or meat packing plant. no wonder they were loved.

CarmeloAnthony.162.jpg

Jeff-DSA

I'm ready for the season to start, even if the Bulls are going to suck.

We all miss Boozer yelling out "AND 1" for himself and the rest of his team. And as for the Jazz, who else isn't looking forward to another squeak into the playoffs to lose in 5 games year?

What team would Carmelo actually work on? Let's play a game, swap a good to great team's SF with Melo and tell me if they improve their chances of chipping.

OKC...nah. YNB and Melo together would be ugly.

LAL...Metta is probably a better fit to be honest. His D is more important than getting 20 from a 5th player with no D. Nash would make him look good and Dwight would cover for him a bit...this one is tough

MIA...child please.

Celtics...could be a good fit imo. Rondo would get him the ball and he could takeover PP's old role of Iso scoring.

Spurs...if any coach can break and remold Melo it's Pop. Could have tremendous results. I'd put this near the top.

Grizz....would be really interesting, they probably get better, how much I'm not sure.

Pacers....ugliest offense gets uglier nothnx.

Nets.....this team would shoot so many jumpers, Bropez probably gets career highs in rebounds.

Sixers.....Id love to see what that team would look like.

Sanjuro

Celtics...could be a good fit imo. Rondo would get him the ball and he could takeover PP's old role of Iso scoring.

It's not as bad, but it's still certainly going to be tough to attract those type of players going forward. That being said, I'm absolutely ecstatic about the young core we have right now. Don't have any delusions other than they will continue to be competitive.

What team would Carmelo actually work on? Let's play a game, swap a good to great team's SF with Melo and tell me if they improve their chances of chipping.

OKC...nah. YNB and Melo together would be ugly.

LAL...Metta is probably a better fit to be honest. His D is more important than getting 20 from a 5th player with no D. Nash would make him look good and Dwight would cover for him a bit...this one is tough

MIA...child please.

Spurs...if any coach can break and remold Melo it's Pop. Could have tremendous results. I'd put this near the top.

Grizz....would be really interesting, they probably get better, how much I'm not sure.

Pacers....ugliest offense gets uglier nothnx.

Nets.....this team would shoot so many jumpers, Bropez probably gets career highs in rebounds.

Sixers.....Id love to see what that team would look like.

haters-gonna-hate.gif

It's not as bad, but it's still certainly going to be tough to attract those type of players going forward. That being said, I'm absolutely ecstatic about the young core we have right now. Don't have any delusions other than they will continue to be competitive.

Swap Melo for Fab Melo, no new yorker will notice.

"Hey we didn't advance in the playoffs, that MUST BE the same Melo."

Sanjuro

Swap Melo for Fab Melo, no new yorker will notice.

"Hey we didn't advance in the playoffs, that MUST BE the same Melo."

Pretty much. I'm still astounded to this day how many Celtics fans are out in NY. I was living out there when we won the title.

My favorite story. The following morning wearing a Celtics shirt, I ended up nicking the bumper of some guy who was double parked. Not only did he care more about my car's (very very minor) damage, he congratulated me and gave me free breakfast at his shop.

DominoKid

man 2K really brought out the star power for the celebrity team in 2K13

Slam Online said:
There’s no longer any kind of specific mode for the legends teams, but each of those old-school squads in 2k12 is still playable, including one new one: The Allen Iverson-led ’00-01 Philadelphia 76ers. There’s also a celebrity team, starring Justin Bieber, Meek Mill, Wale, JB Smoove, Jersey Shore‘s Vinny and Pauly D, Bow Wow, Sean Kingston, Mac Miller and Brian Baumgartner (Kevin from The Office).

chizmiz

Banned
I thought I was being pretty fair, what part of what I said would you argue against?

Oh i dunnow, when you said that swapping Metta with Melo would be a tough sell, maybe? I guess you're right, he's a borderline starter.

By that logic, you'd have picked Metta over Melo for the Olympics btw.

Jeff-DSA

Oh i dunnow, when you said that swapping Metta with Melo would be a tough sell, maybe? I guess you're right, he's a borderline starter.

No, just that Carmelo wouldn't be a good fit for the Lakers as much as MWP is. I'd have to agree.

Unless Carmelo changes his game (haha), he's always going to be a bad teammate.

chizmiz

Banned
No, just that Carmelo wouldn't be a good fit for the Lakers as much as MWP is. I'd have to agree.

Unless Carmelo changes his game (haha), he's always going to be a bad teammate.

You troll yourself when you take it that far. Not even worthy of being acknowledged.

Metta still plays D better than most SFs which is more important than Melo's 25 a night when you have 4 guys on the squad who will produce about 80 a game including two guys who handle the ball a lot. I don't feel the addition of Melo's offensive contributions outweigh his lacking D and need for the ball to be in his hands enough to say he would be a good fit. He's a better player than Metta, but not the better fit for that team.

Melo's game was made for international play, so no. And don't put words in my mouth.

chizmiz

Banned
And don't put words in my mouth.

I wouldn't, they're funny enough as it is. It's just your typical rant of someone who thinks he understood something about team cohesion in basketball to the point he thinks that it outweighs sheer talent that much. It doesn't. Iggy didn't play starters minutes in London, guess why.

Jeff-DSA

I wouldn't, they're funny enough as it is. It's just your typical rant of someone who thinks he understood something about team cohesion in basketball to the point he thinks that it outweighs sheer talent that much. It doesn't. Iggy didn't play starters minutes in London, guess why.

I call this kind of talk a "Carmelo punch." You're trying to hit him in the back of the head, hoping for some lights out effect, but when he turns around and comes at you with a good point, you go running and hide behind something like a weak insult.

A stockpile of individual talent can get their shit pushed in by a well constructed team. Ask Bron and Melo about their bronze medals, ask Payton, Shaq and Kobe why they couldn't get Malone a ring.

Maybe you misunderstand my not wanting to replace metta with melo as me being a Metta fan.

I'd swap him for Granger, Iggy, Deng, Durant, Bron, Batum, Marion

Hell I'd take Ariza on that Laker team before I added Melo.

And only 2 of those guys are better talents than Melo

Maybe you misunderstand my not wanting to replace metta with melo as me being a Metta fan.

you know you want melo after kobe retires.

giri

If you don't want to add Melo because he won't mesh with the team, you probably want to take Bron off that list for the exact same reason.

If you don't want to add Melo because he won't mesh with the team, you probably want to take Bron off that list for the exact same reason.

Bron can play better D and he could be nice to have as orchestrator of the bench offense.

The difference between Bron domiinating the ball and Melo dominating the ball is that Bron thinks about passing it which would be nice for when Nash needs to sit.

you either build a defensive team around Melo like the 2000 76ers (but even Ivy gave you more effort on the defensive end and 5 assists a game) or you put him somewhere where he isnt the top dog. hes seems fine when hes deferring to other players, like at the Olympics.

giri

Bron can play better D and he could be nice to have as orchestrator of the bench offense.

The difference between Bron domiinating the ball and Melo dominating the ball is that Bron thinks about passing it which would be nice for when Nash needs to sit.

Except for bron to do what makes him "great" he needs to dominate the ball all game. Essentially what Melo does.

I get the others, they're complementary pieces, but saying you'd take bron but not melo is just bias for bias sake.

Except for bron to do what makes him "great" he needs to dominate the ball all game. Essentially what Melo does.

I get the others, they're complementary pieces, but saying you'd take bron but not melo is just bias for bias sake.

Bron has the ability to be a team's offense and for that team's offense to be really good. Melo doesn't. And one is a top ten defender while the other is very bad defensively. This is like comparing Hakeem or Wilt to Al Jefferson or Brook Lopez.

I'm be willing to relent a bit on Bron. As good as he is, he wouldn't be an ideal piece for the 2013 Lakers, it'd be a waste of his talent to have him just D people up and shoot corner 3s. Which is what the Lakers would need the most.

While Bron isn't ideal I think he'd be a much better fit than Melo.

giri

Bron has the ability to be a team's offense and for that team's offense to be really good. Melo doesn't. And one is a top ten defender while the other is very bad defensively. This is like comparing Hakeem or Wilt to Al Jefferson or Brook Lopez.

Eh, he excluded one for being a bad fit for the team, i say they'd both be bad fits for an entire season. The others make sense.

It's not like comparing those things at all though.

I even get why you wouldn't want THIS melo on THIS lakers.

You can probably add Gallo to the list of players that make sense.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
That's going to be our only real bit of 'business' isn't it? :\

Are you a new Cavs-Ager? Awesome.

We might as well hold on to the cap space, instead of dumping it now on an overpaid free agent. Something crazy could appear closer to the trade deadline, and it's good to have this crazy flexibility.

In Chris Grant I trust. For Now. Until Waiters and Zeller bust.

Are you a new Cavs-Ager? Awesome.

We might as well hold on to the cap space, instead of dumping it now on an overpaid free agent. Something crazy could appear closer to the trade deadline, and it's good to have this crazy flexibility.

In Chris Grant I trust. For Now. Until Waiters and Zeller bust.

Cavs fan since the Sonics disappeared. I've seen exciting times and... the last 2 years.

Top Bottom