• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT3| The Barclays Center is covered in rust

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
lol cmon man smh. I do think Mcgee should be elite though. Hopefully working with Dream would help.

He really isn't... Rose can carry a team.. Paul can as well.. Of course they are better with good teammates.. But Rondo hasn't proven that he makes KG or PP better.. Actually they make him better.

I hope so.. He is basically Kemp like in raw ability

Puddles

Banned
I can't wait for Simmons to start purposing random trades that don't work under the CBA and don't make much sense at all in terms of value either at halftime. And then to go on with those fake trades for a long period of the time while the other people on the broadcast stare at him in confusion.

Simmons really should have become the Milwaukee Bucks' GM a few years ago. Herb Kohl was an idiot not to hire him.

Triple U

Banned
He really isn't... Rose can carry a team.. Paul can as well.. Of course they are better with good teammates.. But Rondo hasn't proven that he makes KG or PP better.. Actually they make him better.

I hope so.. He is basically Kemp like in raw ability

Rose isn't really a PG though. He's a decent combo type guard, but I don't think he could run an offense like Rondo could. He has like a top 5 BBIQ.

Blackace

Rose isn't really a PG though. He's a decent combo type guard, but I don't think he could run an offense like Rondo could. He has like a top 5 BBIQ.

Even Jason had a better jumper than Rondo and that's sad..

You don't think there are 5 smarter basketball players in the NBA today than Rondo?

Blackace

In terms of pure BBIQ

Duncan, Nash, maybe kidd

Duncan Nash Kidd...only? Shoot I think his two teammates trump him in BBIQ..

Edit: Manu, Paul, PP, KG, Kidd, Nash, TD are players I think have greater BBIQ than Rondo for sure

Blackace

They're good but I think Rondo is clearly the head of that snake for most of the game.

Nope.. Without their spacing Rondo isn't nearly as good.

Kidd also dislikes Paul... Also maybe Rondo reminds him of himself in a way..

Blackace

People say this but there really isn't any proof. This is just like the whole Amare without Nash thing.

And has Amar'e been as good as he was with Nash? Nope he hasnt..

Pretty much that is proof right there.

He was still good in his own right tho

h3ro

u8rm7.jpg

Neo cavs neo jerseys.

Not bad, it'd be interesting if they went to these as their default home uniforms and the wine colored jersey as the away.

Triple U

Banned
And has Amar'e been as good as he was with Nash? Nope he hasnt..

Pretty much that is proof right there.

He was still good in his own right tho

He was arguably better. His last year in PHX he was 23.1 on 56%, in NY his first year was 25.3 on 50%. And thats with Felton(I think) as the starting PG.

Its a bit of a trade-off as he did have to take more of the load offensively but I don't think he was considered worse at all. I attribute his decline now to a combination of his body breaking down and playing with one of the biggest ballstoppers in the league.

Bottom line is, I don't think its fair or accurate at all to give a player's production to another player until they actually get to prove it.

u8rm7jpg

Neo cavs neo jerseys.

Not bad, it'd be interesting if they went to these as their default home uniforms and the wine colored jersey as the away.

Meh.

I know we are trying to distance ourselves from the LBJ era, but I hate this shit. I rather we go back to the blue jerseys or something.

Blackace

He was arguably better. His last year in PHX he was 23.1 on 56%, in NY his first year was 25.3 on 50%. And thats with Felton(I think) as the starting PG.

Its a bit of a trade-off as he did have to take more of the load offensively but I don't think he was considered worse. I attribute his decline now to a combination of his body breaking down and playing with one of the biggest ballstoppers in the league.

Bottom line is, I don't think its fair or accurate at all to give a player's production to another player until they actually get to prove it.

You harp on hyperbole, but react to critism as if I said every single thing Rondo accomplished is due to PP and KG... Which I never said.. I said they make into a better player than he is. And that can be said about a lot of players throughout the NBA..

And 56% FG and 50% with + 2 ppg is not arguably better

Triple U

Banned
You harp on hyperbole, but react to critism as if I said every single thing Rondo accomplished is due to PP and KG... Which I never said.. I said they make into a better player than he is. And that can be said about a lot of players throughout the NBA..

It may not come from you but dude's like DY_nasty and I forget who else certainly imply it...

And 56% FG and 50% with + 2 ppg is not arguably better

It aint that much worse either, if at all. 50 is alot closer to his career average while 56 is one of his better years. He was still a top five scorer that year and I don't know who can complain about being that on 50% shooting(which is better than every other of the top 5 excluding LBJ, while being only decimal points behind in PPG). People were talking like he wouldn't be able to score at all without Nash, which was and is laughable...

dalVlatko

[IMGhttp://i.imgur.com/u8rm7.jpg[/IMG]

Neo cavs neo jerseys.

Don't like it. Wish it was more gold than yellow.

Someone made these and they just ruined the actual jerseys for me.

9ReHM.jpg

LOL, another Rondo argument incoming.
On a different note, I been arguing with someone saying Bird is better than MJ cause Larry filled up the stat sheet in ways that Jordan didnt, competed and won in a tougher era, and had a more dramatic impact on the Czs in his rookie and sophomore years than Jordan did with the Bulls. I thought the dude was cherry picking some shit and going out of his way to not give Jordan credit ("he only played well in the triangle offense, he didnt win without Pippen" the 90s teams were soft, etc) but it was an interesting argument.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
LOL, another Rondo argument incoming.
On a different note, I been arguing with someone saying Bird is better than MJ cause Larry filled up the stat sheet in ways that Jordan didnt, competed and won in a tougher era, and had a more dramatic impact on the Czs in his rookie and sophomore years than Jordan did with the Bulls. I thought the dude was cherry picking some shit and going out of his way to not give Jordan credit ("he only played well in the triangle offense, he didnt win without Pippen" the 90s teams were soft, etc) but it was an interesting argument.

Eh... Bird played with more great players than Jordan did, but its a reasonable argument

benjipwns

Banned
Those arguments are interesting because you get to play every hypothetical you can think of and that's always fun.

For me at least the only one that can ever get any real serious traction is Wilt and Jordan.

Triple U

Banned
Those arguments are interesting because you get to play every hypothetical you can think of and that's always fun.

For me at least the only one that can ever get any real serious traction is Wilt and Jordan.

Yeah the guy that most people never saw play in one of the weakest eras ever. Makes sense.

Blackace

I can hear Bill Simmons quivering with rage...

And to honest Wilt is fairly overrated... In the end you can't be the goat without winning regularly

Kwhit10

I find arguing Wilt with newer age players difficult. When Wilt played he was an athletic freak of nature and towered over a lot of people. He dominated in the stat sheet but he wasn't much of a winner.

Add to the fact that the games of Wilt and Jordan are completely different, I'd say even their competitiveness is far apart.

SamuraiX-

'Crazed' Kings Fans Now Pulled Into Adrienne Maloof Divorce

If you'd thought the Maloofs couldn't get any worse, Sacramento Kings fans are now being dragged into Adrienne "The Girl Maloof" Maloof's divorce from Dr. Paul Nassif. Adrienne, who you may know from that episode of Real Housewives of Beverly Hills shot partially at what everyone thought would be the last Sacramento Kings game ever in April 2011, an episode which included Adrienne being ridiculously anxious about the threat of physical violence from angry Kings fans even though not even the most tenuous proof of any such threat has been presented and even though, frankly, just about no one in Sacramento cares about Adrienne Maloof or her show ... where was I? Oh yes, Adrienne (the sister of George, Joe, Gavin and Silent Phil) had previously alleged that Nassif carried a firearm throughout their nine-year marriage.

TMZ reports that Nassif's excuse for packing heat is that ...

"he and his estranged wife -- whose family owns the Kings -- have been inundated with threats over the last year ... all because they're contemplating moving the Kings out of Sacramento to Virginia City [sic] -- a move that has Kings fans up in arms. Paul says the tension with the team, combined with their large fortune, puts them in constant life-threatening situations."

Ahem.

1. There has never been a report of any single legit threat made to any of the Maloofs. Ever. Not within the past year. Certainly not nine years ago. (Chris Webber's knee exploded nine years ago, by the way.)

2. The relocation rumors have been heavy for 18 months. But go ahead and cite a phantom threat from crazed Kings fans for the past nine years, buddy.

3. "Large fortune?"

smfh

Clown shoes.

Motherfucking clown shoes.

Blackace

Make no mistake Bird was beast so it isn't a knock against him....

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story...ks-mark-cuban-believes-new-guard-oj-mayo-star

Mayo was one of several acquisitions the Mavs made after after their attempt to lure Deron Williams to Dallas was unsuccessful.

"We went on the option for the big free agent. That didn't work out. Honestly, that wasn't my first choice," owner Mark Cuban said Monday. "Sometimes the best deals are the ones you don't do and they lead to better things. And I think that's what happened now."

Revisionist history is beautiful

Absolutely beautiful

benjipwns

Banned
Yeah the guy that most people never saw play in one of the weakest eras ever. Makes sense.
I can hear Bill Simmons quivering with rage...

And to honest Wilt is fairly overrated... In the end you can't be the goat without winning regularly
I find arguing Wilt with newer age players difficult. When Wilt played he was an athletic freak of nature and towered over a lot of people. He dominated in the stat sheet but he wasn't much of a winner.

Add to the fact that the games of Wilt and Jordan are completely different, I'd say even their competitiveness is far apart.
I wasn't arguing for any side, I was saying it's the only debate that even makes sense.

Wilt dominated his league of the era as Jordan did.

But Wilt did do it in an era where they wore chucks, flew public, no training, etc. Wilt mastered multiple sports, Track and Field, Volleyball, etc. He played fucking 48+ minutes a night.

I think it's the only the place you can even start to make an argument against Jordan. Because Wilt was so insane.

Blackace

Not winning isn't dominating to me.. He should have 5 rings at least..

That trade to the Lakers destroys the idea that Wilt was a top 5 player for me. The fact that the 76ers were willing to trade him in his prime is insane. Even more insane is that the 76ers didn't get much worse and the Lakers didn't get much better, the Lakers actually got worse on offense when they traded for Wilt. Wilt had some incredibly stacked supporting casts from 66 onward and only ended up with two rings and lost twice to Russell whose body was nearly broken and whose teams were terrible without him at that point. I think Wilt 10th best ever.

benjipwns

Banned
I don't deny Wilt was a coaster.

And he totally played some power games with every owner he ever met.

I'm just saying he's the only option you have if you want to deny Jordan.

DY_nasty

You can argue against Jordan with plenty of guys.

The thing is, most people just prefer to sound insane and go lalalacanthearyou instead of making any kind of real argument.

Hmm, I think Russell and Kareem still have arguments over Jordan. Kareem's teams probably underperformed in his career, but going just by watching him playing, he was basically impossible to guard and his career stats were ridiculous as well. Russell had the best defensive dynasty ever and revolutionized a good of defensive ideas and ended up with 11 rings. Both also had better college careers than Jordan.

benjipwns

Banned
You can argue against Jordan with plenty of guys.

The thing is, most people just prefer to sound insane and go lalalacanthearyou instead of making any kind of real argument.
I don't think you can, Jordan crushed the shit out of everyone.
Hmm, I think Russell and Kareem still have arguments over Jordan. Kareem's teams probably underperformed in his career, but going just by watching him playing, he was basically impossible to guard and his career stats were ridiculous as well. Russell had the best defensive dynasty ever and revolutionized a good of defensive ideas and ended up with 11 rings. Both also had better college careers than Jordan.
Kareem is the only other one, but he had a split league.

Russell was amazing, but clearly not a Wilt, Kareem, Jordan type level of overall player. Fantastic winner and paired with that team was epic. Just like Ben Wallace for example.

I am arguing mostly personally here though.

T Dollarz

I don't think you can, Jordan crushed the shit out of everyone.

Kareem is the only other one, but he had a split league.

Russell was amazing, but clearly not a Wilt, Kareem, Jordan type level of overall player. Fantastic winner and paired with that team was epic. Just like Ben Wallace for example.

I am arguing mostly personally here though.

You just compared Ben Wallace to Bill Russell. Argument invalid.

Blackace

From what I can gather Bills teams were alot better.
Not really true.. Bill was better, a winner... The Celts had some better teams along the way, but not in a lopsided fashion
I know Blackace, I do read your posts unlike others. I just disagree, especially since Wilt openly gave up.

Openly giving up, regualrly disqualifies you for GOAT status..

That trade to the Lakers destroys the idea that Wilt was a top 5 player for me. The fact that the 76ers were willing to trade him in his prime is insane. Even more insane is that the 76ers didn't get much worse and the Lakers didn't get much better, the Lakers actually got worse on offense when they traded for Wilt. Wilt had some incredibly stacked supporting casts from 66 onward and only ended up with two rings and lost twice to Russell whose body was nearly broken and whose teams were terrible without him at that point. I think Wilt 10th best ever.

He was traded 3 times in his prime

DY_nasty

You just compared Ben Wallace to Bill Russell. Argument invalid.
I lol'd too.

And shit, if you want, you could make a legit argument that MJ wasn't even the best player on his team. Russell, Dream, Duncan, CC23GOAT, Kareem, etc... shit, Jordan's the biggest icon by far but after that he's not really all that untouchable.

T Dollarz

I lol'd too.

And shit, if you want, you could make a legit argument that MJ wasn't even the best player on his team. Russell, Dream, Duncan, CC23GOAT, Kareem, etc... shit, Jordan's the biggest icon by far but after that he's not really all that untouchable.

I see what you're saying, but that statement does seem a little ridiculous. But yeah, I get your point of having respect for guys that did it without even a clear cut wingman on the team. I'd put Hakeem, Dirk, Duncan, Kobe in that category. Hell, I'd even say Lebron last year, considering how insignificant Wade became.

Omega

Banned
I lol'd too.

And shit, if you want, you could make a legit argument that MJ wasn't even the best player on his team
. Russell, Dream, Duncan, CC23GOAT, Kareem, etc... shit, Jordan's the biggest icon by far but after that he's not really all that untouchable.

im so confused right now. someone tell me i'm reading this wrong..

Top Bottom