• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Playoffs |OT3| If he dies, he dies *wink*

Status
Not open for further replies.

TylerD

Probably because a mod assigned his avatar and didn't allow it to be changed so that might be difficult to deactivate.

Or GAF Gold.

Whatever happens tonight, I am so proud of how we have fought back against the Spurs. Playing some basketball and defense that I honestly did not think we were capable of playing.

KingGondo

Banned
Or GAF Gold.

Whatever happens tonight, I am so proud of how we have fought back against the Spurs. Playing some basketball and defense that I honestly did not think we were capable of playing.
Tonight will be tough, but I'm convinced they can get it done.

This is essentially for the series. Steal a win and close it out in Game 6. That would be a hell of a way to finish the series after going down 0-2.

Or GAF Gold.

This is essentially for the series. Steal a win and close it out in Game 6. That would be a hell of a way to finish the series after going down 0-2.

I really hope GAF doesn't go down tonight. My laptop's power cord broke this weekend, and I'm waiting on its replacement to ship. My gaming PC is still stuck at home and not with me in LA ($3000+ catching dust across the country smh....my PS3, 360, and Wii are still there too!) so all I have is my iPhone lol.

Don't really want to have to deal with irc on a phone so GAF is my only hope. :eek:

TylerD

I think we can do it too and think that what we have been doing the last 7 mins of game 2 and through games 3 and 4 should still work on the road.

If you have NBA TV, tonight Ahmad Rashad will have a sit down talk with our Bestbrook on his One on One program. The episode with Durant several months back was really good and from the teaser they showed during Game Time Saturday night it looks like Russ will discuss his fashion choices.

For you non-Thunder fans, the other guests will be Tony Parker and Doc Rivers. Good show all around.

Hey guys, were you beginning to get bored with this generation's blown up helicopters, sneak up kills, and shitty scripted events?

Too bad, here's more.

KingGondo

Banned
I think we can do it too and think that what we have been doing the last 7 mins of game 2 and through games 3 and 4 should still work on the road.

If you have NBA TV, tonight Ahmad Rashad will have a sit down talk with our Bestbrook on his One on One program. The episode with Durant several months back was really good.
I'll definitely check that out.

I agree with you--the key is transferring that defensive intensity from OKC onto the road. We have to expect their roleplayers (especially Leonard and Green) to play better, but with Thabo on Parker and our effective switching on picks, we can definitely replicate some of the success we had in OKC.

To me, forcing turnovers is the only sure way to beat SA. They're so good at getting open shots that you have to prevent them from getting shots in the first place. I'm actually not worried about offense, either--we haven't had much trouble scoring on them except for the 4th quarter of game 1.

If OKC manages to win this game (and the series), this game will be looked back on as when they "took the leap."

Looking forward to it.

dream

That's why everyone should embrace casual gaming. That's where the real innovation and high concept stuff happens.

At this point, I can't stand the mainstream market for games. Its all shit. Heavily disguised shit, but nevertheless shit.

Esports is the only savior.

That's why everyone should embrace casual gaming. That's where the real innovation and high concept stuff happens.

Theres nothing high concept about doodle jump

Vestal

Check out these postseason numbers (Note: Hibbert's numbers are post-Game 1 after Bosh's injury):

---

Miami's score margin, Garnett on the floor: minus-19 in 153 minutes (minus-6.0 per 48 minutes).
Miami's score margin, Garnett off the floor: plus-25 in 49 minutes (plus-24.5 per 48 minutes).

Miami's score margin, Hibbert on the floor: minus-30 in 166 minutes (minus-8.7 per 48 minutes).
Miami's score margin, Hibbert off the floor: plus-60 in 74 minutes (plus-38.9 per 48 minutes).

Now let's put it all together:

Miami's score margin with Garnett/Hibbert on: minus-49 in 319 minutes (minus-7.4 per 48 minutes).
Miami's score margin with Garnett/Hibbert off: plus-85 in 123 minutes (plus-33.2 per 48 minutes).

Wow at those numbers..

Check out these postseason numbers (Note: Hibbert's numbers are post-Game 1 after Bosh's injury):

---

Miami's score margin, Garnett on the floor: minus-19 in 153 minutes (minus-6.0 per 48 minutes).
Miami's score margin, Garnett off the floor: plus-25 in 49 minutes (plus-24.5 per 48 minutes).

Miami's score margin, Hibbert on the floor: minus-30 in 166 minutes (minus-8.7 per 48 minutes).
Miami's score margin, Hibbert off the floor: plus-60 in 74 minutes (plus-38.9 per 48 minutes).

Now let's put it all together:

Miami's score margin with Garnett/Hibbert on: minus-49 in 319 minutes (minus-7.4 per 48 minutes).
Miami's score margin with Garnett/Hibbert off: plus-85 in 123 minutes (plus-33.2 per 48 minutes).

Wow at those numbers..

The telling thing about these stats is that it's not like Lebron/Wade doesn't score when KG and Hibbert are in the game, they are just much less likely to foul (causing FTs) and more likely to force bad shots, which gives the Heat defense less of a chance to be set in transition.

Miami's 1st half play has been so bad for 3 games. Like, no energy, especially on D. When they clamp down, Boston struggles. Not sure what they're doing collectively. Also, Wade has to play better for most of the game, not just 20 minutes.

Their defense on Rondo until the 4th last night couldn't possibly be dumber. You can't just play off Rondo. You have to use that with length to crowd the off-ball movement. Otherwise, you're just giving him sightlines everywhere. Miami isn't forcing the TOs as a result which they need.

Officiating was so all over the place last night. One of the worst games of the year both ways.

Brooks made some good adjustments last 2 games. more Ibaka and Thabo and off-ball movement. Tonight should be a good game and a close one. Durant has been so good up until this point. Loved how he took over game 4 after setting everyone up for 3 quarters.

Bestbrook needs to show up, however, soon if they want to win the series. I wonder if Pop starts Ginobili with how Green has struggled. Leonard has been awesome.

Vahagn

Miami's 1st half play has been so bad for 3 games. Like, no energy, especially on D. When they clamp down, Boston struggles. Not sure what they're doing collectively. Also, Wade has to play better for most of the game, not just 20 minutes.

Their defense on Rondo until the 4th last night couldn't possibly be dumber. You can't just play off Rondo. You have to use that with length to crowd the off-ball movement. Otherwise, you're just giving him sightlines everywhere. Miami isn't forcing the TOs as a result which they need.

Officiating was so all over the place last night. One of the worst games of the year both ways.

Brooks made some good adjustments last 2 games. more Ibaka and Thabo and off-ball movement. Tonight should be a good game and a close one. Durant has been so good up until this point. Loved how he took over game 4 after setting everyone up for 3 quarters.

Bestbrook needs to show up, however, soon if they want to win the series. I wonder if Pop starts Ginobili with how Green has struggled. Leonard has been awesome.

I disagree. Kobe's shown that the best way to play Rondo is off Rondo. The problem is that unless the Heat Double and smother him, Rondo gets into the paint and causes havoc.

What you can't do is sag off him and also allow him to drive. He has to be kept on the perimeter and just hitting guys coming off screens. If you do that you negate Rondo's scoring and turn the Celtics into a jump shooting team. If you start to play on him, he'll drive and carve you up, and if you double him he might get startled in the beginning like he did, but they'll figure it out and swing the ball to KG or others for wide open shots.

Play off Rondo and keep him on the perimeter as best as possible.

Edit: Also, switch Wade onto Rondo and let Chalmers chase Ray Ray through screens. It will preserve Wade's legs and Rondo will have a harder time attacking Wade off the dribble.

I disagree. Kobe's shown that the best way to play Rondo is off Rondo. The problem is that unless the Heat Double and smother him, Rondo gets into the paint and causes havoc.

What you can't do is sag off him and also allow him to drive. He has to be kept on the perimeter and just hitting guys coming off screens. If you do that you negate Rondo's scoring and turn the Celtics into a jump shooting team. If you start to play on him, he'll drive and carve you up, and if you double him he might get startled in the beginning like he did, but they'll figure it out and swing the ball to KG or others for wide open shots.

Play off Rondo and keep him on the perimeter as best as possible.

I don't think you understood what I said. The way Kobe and the Lakers defend Rondo is not the same way Wade or Chalmers defended him. They just stand back and do nothing. Go re-watch the Finals from 2010 and see how Kobe would not just stand back. He's used the fact that he was hardly guarding Rondo to disrupt the cuts Pierce and Allen made or hedge toward them as they were happening, allowing Ron or Fish to stay close to them. Then the Lakers would use one of their bigs, depending on the position, to Mike (as in football) Rondo a bit to help Kobe should he turn the corner (which Miami also is not doing). Kobe disrupted passing angles and open looks off the ball.

Yes, you play off rondo. But you don't just stand 4 feet back of Rondo and do nothing else as a team. Every team that does this, and it's a lot of teams, eventually get burned by him. Cleveland saw this happen in 2010 when Mo or Bron did it. Miami the last 2 seasons (except when he was hurt). And other teams.

If you're just going to stand back being lazy, you might as well not be out there. Also, Wade/Chalmer don't have the length Kobe does to stand back and still contest. Between what they did most of the past few games or actually defending and hedging, I'd do the latter. At least it came out of his hands more often. Especially do this when KG is out.

The play off Rondo strategy generally will only work if you have a defender with length helping on off-ball and shot blockers in the paint. otherwise, it won't work. That's the reason few teams have been successful like the Lakers at it.

giri

Mamba is right, btw. Kobe played off rondo, but he didn't play him for the drive (though, he did deny that) he denied him the pass that he wanted. Pau or Bynum (i assume Pau) was yelling at him all the time on which side to hedge, and move up.

It wasn't passive, standing back.

Vahagn

Mamba is right, btw. Kobe played off rondo, but he didn't play him for the drive (though, he did deny that) he denied him the pass that he wanted. Pau or Bynum (i assume Pau) was yelling at him all the time on which side to hedge, and move up.

It wasn't passive, standing back.

I never said passive standing back. But Mamba's point is a good one, If Miami can't execute that type of team defense effectively then they shouldn't do it.

I just don't think attempting to play on Rondo with someone like Chalmers is too great of an idea, Rondo getting in the paint is really dangerous because he can hit the floater, he can get to the rim, he's confident with his FT's and if the defense collapses he'll find the right guy every time.

I guess i'd prefer ray allen and PP shooting jumpshots coming off those pin down screens than having Rondo attack the basket and find the open man that way.

Edit: If he picks his dribble up, he should absolutely be smothered and denied those clear lines of vision, but with a live dribble, I see Rondo blowing past Chalmers regularly if he pressures into him.

Now if Rondo is attempting to pass it to KG when he's being fronted than whoever is guarding Rondo should absolutely smother Rondo because Rondo can get that lob pass over the top of the defense every time. So it's situational, anytime Rondo is attempting an entry pass to a teammate who is fronted he should be played up close until he regularly beats you off the dribble and scores. Anytime he picks the ball up on the perimeter, he should be played up close. But in a lot of other instances (pick and roll game for example) it's best to go under the screens and play off him a bit to prevent the drive.

SamuraiX-

It had a good run.

From what I gathered, they're turning it into a co-op shoot-em-up, right?

This sucks for me. I vastly prefer immersive single-player experiences to online stuff.

Pretty much. It's more horrible than I ever could've imagined. So. Much. Dudebro.

I've said before that I expected no less with EA as the publisher, but it's still depressing as hell.

At least there's still some of that iconic atmosphere left... a little... kinda... :(

Fjordson

EA didn't even show Live 13 =[

Saw like a 10 second clip of Melo dunking, a Rose crossover, and I think Wade dunking, but that was it.

lol darksides avatar is the only one shown, like last year sdfljfdssdfldsfkfdfsd

smh at that 3DS XL news, i just bought a 3DS a couple months ago :(

dead space 3 B^)

Tom Penny

The telling thing about these stats is that it's not like Lebron/Wade doesn't score when KG and Hibbert are in the game, they are just much less likely to foul (causing FTs) and more likely to force bad shots, which gives the Heat defense less of a chance to be set in transition.

Game 3 and 4 Miami shot like 35% when KG was on the Floor vs over 75% when he wasn't 0_0

so the MicroSoft Conference in 3 GIFs:

jlCHT.gif

untitled-1m0zbqv9jh5.gif

and of course Mama Robotnik:
dlxXI.gif

is this correct? I left after Splinter Cell: Blacklist

EA didn't even show Live 13 =[

Saw like a 10 second clip of Melo dunking, a Rose crossover, and I think Wade dunking, but that was it.
This is BS. They should've had Wade kicking a guy in the nuts and getting a bailout call, Kobe yelling at Pau Gasol, and Corey Magette intentionally passing to the other team for uber-realism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom