• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Playoffs |OT3| If he dies, he dies *wink*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today Miami was in full meltdown mode.The radio was insane with angry people everywhere. Some hosts trying to stay positive, others already saying it is over. Knicks fans came out of their roach holes to infect the airways. Wilbon was on Lebatard's show outright calling us Heat fans "stupid".

I will be rooting for the Spurs since the Heat and Spurs are strangely connected this conference finals.

Why was he calling Heat fans stupid? Their piss poor enthusiasm during games? Or their "wah, wah give me championships" routine?

J2 Cool

Malone was built for longevity though. He was pretty bulky.

KG is tall and lanky. And the only players in the league who have played similar minutes to him are Kidd and Kobe.

Here's something to ponder: KG, Allen, and Pierce have played 123, 126, and 128 playoff games, respectively. Lebron has already played 108. Wade 103. They're much bigger playoff veterans than KG, Pierce, and Allen were when they joined together in Boston.

I think KG's built for longevity more than Malone. I'll take tall and lanky on the knees over bulk, like Kareem. (the other model for longevity) I still think Jordan may not have taken the two injuries he had in Washington, if he didn't overbulk for his comeback. Malone's an exception for someone built like that. I'll be surprised if Lebron could do much at 36, though without a postgame or jumper, he's not setting himself up to.

charsace

I think Harden is worth Ginobili money, which at this stage of his career is $11 million with raises each year. Manu will make about $13M this year.

Ibaka's who you have to hardball, IMO. While he has been occasionally brilliant, he has been far too inconsistent to offer 8 figures to right now. Try to get him down to $8-9 million and keep the role players in place, and we're golden.

And as someone else mentioned, the amnesty option for Perkins is always available, although he has been extremely valuable to this playoff run.

But obviously--if you have to amnesty Perk to keep the young guns, you do it.
Harden is getting max. He's young, good, and plays a position of need that is hard to fill right now.

He's not in the top 6, but in the top 7. I've said the top 6 or 7 matter, depending on the team, but the top 6 do the bulk of the work.

I'm not arguing them being out there doesn't matter in the sense that they matter as much as a traffic cone. I'm arguing that the 8th/9th guy isn't any different than any other playoff team's 8th/9th guy in terms of quality and cannot affect whether a team wins the title or not.

The Mavs win the title last year with any other scrap heap big if they didn't have Cardinal. Spurs the same without Elson. Lakers the same without Farmar. That's what I mean when I say they don't matter. If you remove Ariza or Bowen, that matters. Now every team's 4-6 guys are as good.

If you matter that means your presence can affect the outcome of the team winning a title. the 8/9 guys don't do that.

I'm not sure if the Thunder win game 5 without Dequan Cook hitting 3-3 for 8 pts in less than 4 minutes.

Would a scrap heap role player from any other team do that? Probably not.

So if the Thunder win this series (which they won't, but play along) and the championship, with Cook playing a crucial role in a must-win game 5, I'd say he definitely mattered. And Cook is 9th maybe 10th on that team. The fact that you are going as far as 7 makes the argument even more ridiculous.

You can go down the line with teams and do this.

[easy example is old man Kerr saving us in 03]

giri

Why was he calling Heat fans stupid? Their piss poor enthusiasm during games? Or their "wah, wah give me championships" routine?

Most of the real Heat Fans i've seen around here have been morose since the pacers series.

This Heat team really doesn't look like it's giving 100% effort.

True or not, thats the vibe you get.

I'm not sure if the Thunder win game 5 without Dequan Cook hitting 3-3 for 8 pts in less than 4 minutes.

Would a scrap heap role player from any other team do that? Probably not.

So if the Thunder win this series (which they won't, but play along) and the championship, with Cook playing a crucial role in a must-win game 5, I'd say he definitely mattered.

You can go down the line with teams and do this.

[easy example is old man Kerr saving us in 03]

Fisher went like 6/7 in game 1 and they lost.

If the Thunder win the title, will you argue they wouldn't have won it all without Daquan Cook on the team? lol.

Anyway, Go Kings! Time to make LA hockeytown USA (so weird).

Fisher went like 6/7 in game 1 and they lost.

If the Thunder win the title, will you argue they wouldn't have won it all without Daquan Cook on the team? lol.

Anyway, Go Kings! Time to make LA hockeytown USA (so weird).

I'll do one better.

Steve Kerr was 12th (dead last) on the 2003 Spurs in playoff minutes. Only 46 total.

And I say without hesitation that I'm not sure we'd win the title without him.

Vahagn

Mamba - the 8th guy matters. So does the 9th. Because to win a chip you need to beat 4 different teams and you need to beat different lineups. You have to be able to play big, and play small at times. In one individual series or another you can get away with 7, but not in all 4 series combined.

You need at least 3 guys to cover C/PF positions. Two starters and one bench guy. And that's only if your starting PF or backup PF can play center effectively. (Like the Odom/Gasol/Bynum Lakers for example).

You need a backup PG. No team can get away playing an SG at the PG position for 4 series. At some point he will get abused. You also need a backup SF because very few SG's can play SF for very long. Kobe might be able to, but after him and someone like JJ, the list gets thin.

So that's 7 players already. You need one more guy in case any of the 7 get injured, and you need a backup SG unless you're using 3 men for your SG/PG rotation, and in that case the backup has to be good enough to play PG and big enough to defend SG's. That's REALLY RARE.

So by all accounts, you need at least 8 guys to be able to withstand an injury to anyone in your top 7, and to be able to match up with different types of teams (small ball vs big ball for example)

Why does it seem like RE6's AI, damage recognition, and gunplay is way way worse than RE4 despite RE4 being finished in 2004? The footage looks bad. Platinum stole all of Capcom's talent, but it still seems insane that it could be technically worse in some areas than an early 2005 game.

charsace

All that we are seeing with the Heat is that Lebron isn't the clear cut best player in the world like a lot of people think. And that you probably can't win a title with a guy that doesn't have a clear cut role on his team. To me Lebron is the ultimate garbage man. He racks up huge stats, but at the expense of team play.

The more I watch Lebron the more I think he would make a great number two for a dynasty. You have him catch the ball on the move a lot to get him going to the basket where he can finish or kick on the drive. Or you have him play full time point forward and have him concentrate on generating shots for another scorer and floor spacers. You could have him be a super Pippen. He runs the offense, guards the best perimeter scorer on the opposing team and racks up assists, steals, rebounds and blocks.

All that we are seeing with the Heat is that Lebron isn't the clear cut best player in the world like a lot of people think. And that you probably can't win a title with a guy that doesn't have a clear cut role on his team. To me Lebron is the ultimate garbage man. He racks up huge stats, but at the expense of team play.

The more I watch Lebron the more I think he would make a great number two for a dynasty. You have him catch the ball on the move a lot to get him going to the basket where he can finish or kick on the drive. Or you have him play full time point forward and have him concentrate on generating shots for another scorer and floor spacers. You could have him be a super Pippen. He runs the offense, guards the best perimeter scorer on the opposing team and racks up assists, steals, rebounds and blocks.

What

He's doing what he's supposed to be doing. Problem is Wade is being underwhelming and isn't helping carrying the scoring load..

Wade should be getting the most points, LeBron should be doing everything else

We also need someone on the team to say "THERE WILL BE A GAME 7" sheed style

Mxrz

Am I lttp on this Kobye video? Cali friend linked me earlier, been laughing all evening.

Miami fan reactions today were almost as good as the expected meltdowns had he got a ring. Crazy world. But OKC or Spurs do need to sweep the Celtics. This isn't all that funny any more.

All that we are seeing with the Heat is that Lebron isn't the clear cut best player
Oh, he's still the best. Regular season at least. Wade and Spo been exposed to even Miami fans though. Chalmers has looked better, which should be telling.

Mrbob

Thunder are one of my favorite teams to watch, but I still think they are a year away. Spurs are going to win tonight and win game 7.

charsace

The guy isn't Jordan. There are a couple of guys that are mixed together that could be called the best. Lebron is just one of those guys. He isn't above them. The dude isn't Jordan. Lebron is just one of those guys that every once in a while puts up numbers and makes it look effortless like Jordan looked most of the time. Most of the time Lebron is working really damn hard, eating shot clock, to get is 30ppg. I've said it before and I'll say it again; Lebron has no real role on offense. You watch the Thunder play and you know what Durant's role is. I watch Lebron play and what I see is a bigger Iverson who gears it down in the clutch.

Both guys are at their best on offense eat clock. They both require guys to get out of their way so that they can go. They both stuff the stat sheet, Lebron more so because he's bigger. In the end though this one man army style of basketball doesn't win. Both guys are/were stuck at young Jordan era in regards to how they play. Fans love it, but it doesn't win.

Maybe Lebron will win something unlike AI because he's bigger. I just think he could have won something by now if he learned how to play within a team.

Emwitus

The guy isn't Jordan. There are a couple of guys that are mixed together that could be called the best. Lebron is just one of those guys. He isn't above them. The dude isn't Jordan. Lebron is just one of those guys that every once in a while puts up numbers and makes it look effortless like Jordan looked most of the time. Most of the time Lebron is working really damn hard, eating shot clock, to get is 30ppg. I've said it before and I'll say it again; Lebron has no real role on offense. You watch the Thunder play and you know what Durant's role is. I watch Lebron play and what I see is a bigger Iverson who gears it down in the clutch.

Both guys are at their best on offense eat clock. They both require guys to get out of their way so that they can go. They both stuff the stat sheet, Lebron more so because he's bigger. In the end though this one man army style of basketball doesn't win. Both guys are/were stuck at young Jordan era in regards to how they play. Fans love it, but it doesn't win.

Maybe Lebron will win something unlike AI because he's bigger. I just think he could have won something by now if he learned how to play within a team.

This is a confusing post on so many levels.

You're arguing that he doesn't know how to play in a team concept while you say he should moved to a secondary role, how does that make sense? He should obviously get better fitting into an offense so he can have a longer career since he'll probably have to turn more in a defense-focused stretch 4 in his later 30s, but moving LeBron away from the ball and away from scoring right now doesn't make any sense.

Why does it seem like RE6's AI, damage recognition, and gunplay is way way worse than RE4 despite RE4 being finished in 2004? The footage looks bad. Platinum stole all of Capcom's talent, but it still seems insane that it could be technically worse in some areas than an early 2005 game.

At first I thought this but the more and more footage I saw it looks alright. It wont be RE4, nothing will be RE4 but there are some cool ideas in the game. Should have loads of variety and awesome enemies.

charsace

You're arguing that he doesn't know how to play in a team concept while you say he should moved to a secondary role, how does that make sense? He should obviously get better fitting into an offense so he can have a longer career since he'll probably have to turn more in a defense-focused stretch 4 in his later 30s, but moving LeBron away from the ball and away from scoring right now doesn't make any sense.

He should move into a secondary role like Pippen. That's what he is. A Pippen. He's not a Jordan, Dirk, Kobe, Rick Barry or Durant. He's Pippen. He needs to control the ball to score, control it a lot. I think Lebron would be better off running the offense and feeding the ball to someone else and floor spacers. He should be scoring in the 17-22ppg range instead of doing what he does now. Lebron should play a point forward role. Lebron is the ultimate point forward.

Not BSing you, I had a nightmare where the Heat lost the next game 140 something to 70 something.

This is what they are doing to me.

I have a real life where ish like that happens every other week. You get no sympathy from me.

eFgC1.jpg

This man was a multi-multi millionaire before this picture was taken. Think about it.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I don't see why LeBron playing a secondary role would allow him to help his offense more than he is playing a primary role.

Because if he isn't driving to the basket (which, when he doesn't is on him), then he's a useless shitty midrange shooter and might as well be named Demar Derozen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom