• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Preseason |OT| The Rich Get Richer, The Poor Get Rasheed Wallace

Status
Not open for further replies.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
healthy Curry/Bogut

pgNCk.jpg

KingGondo

Banned
After the money they gave to Westbrook and Ibaka, Harden's gotta be feeling that a max is definitely within his right to explore.
I wouldn't blame him. I'm not one of those Kool-Aid drinking Thunder fans.

I just don't personally feel that he'll walk away from the ability to play with his friends on a championship-caliber team for 5-10 years for $2-3 million/year. He's also already shown himself to be extremely marketable, and being in OKC hasn't hurt KD or YNB when it comes to endorsement $$$.

His comments during camp have been encouraging. I think a deal gets done in the $14 million range.

Smokey

Dunno if it's been posted...preseason and all. Plus I'm currently more interested in my undefeated NFL team than my bum level NBA team but new toys coming to Toyota Center. Just in time for All-Star weekend:

HOUSTON - Beginning this fall, Toyota Center will redefine the in-arena fan viewing experience when it unveils a state-of-the-art video scoreboard which will set a new standard for indoor arenas. The new video board will be the largest indoor center-hung scoreboard in the United States, offering patrons an unprecedented view of the action at Houston Rockets home games and Toyota Center events such as the upcoming 2013 NBA All-Star Game. The new board is the centerpiece of a sweeping arena-wide improvement project that was announced today and also includes the installation of new HD flat panel screens throughout the concourses, upgraded Wi-Fi connectivity options, new concessions point-of-sale systems and other upgrades for Toyota Center patrons. The board will debut at the Rockets Nov. 3rd regular season home opener against the Portland Trailblazers.

The new scoreboard will be manufactured and installed by Panasonic and will feature the largest combined viewing area of any indoor center-hung scoreboard currently used in the U.S. The scoreboard will contain four large screens—two rectangular-shaped displays that will face the east and west seating areas and a pair of square-shaped screens that will face the north and south ends of the bowl. The larger boards will measure approximately 25’ high by 58’ wide. The two end panels will measure approximately 25’ high by 25’ wide. All the boards will display a full HD signal with 1080 lines of resolution. Plans also include the installation of ancillary boards in each of the four corners of the upper concourse that will be used to display additional statistics during Rockets games and other sporting events

topscore.jpg

scorecon2.jpg

DAT LIN MONEY

and 1080 on those huge screens. mk. Big enough to see the home team losing score I guess.

Sure he wants it. But he also wants to stay in OKC and he knows it's very unlikely the Thunder will be able to offer it.

"Wanting max money" and "insisting on max money as a firm negotiating position" are two different things.

Why shouldn´t he go for the max he can get? His time to make money is now. Like all players, he´s gonna be used by the owners and dropped once his production falls. He should take what he can get.

Only reason he accepts less is if other teams don´t offer him all that.

etiolate

Banned
Dunno if it's been posted...preseason and all. Plus I'm currently more interested in my undefeated NFL team than my bum level NBA team but new toys coming to Toyota Center. Just in time for All-Star weekend:

topscore.jpg

scorecon2.jpg

DAT LIN MONEY

and 1080 on those huge screens. mk. Big enough to see the home team losing score I guess.

I like how the away colors are the Kings colors, because you know they're the big road team draw.

KingGondo

Banned
Why shouldn´t he go for the max he can get? His time to make money is now. Like all players, he´s gonna be used by the owners and dropped once his production falls. He should take what he can get.

Only reason he accepts less is if other teams don´t offer him all that.
There are other considerations, such as winning. And maybe his agent feels he's more marketable as the 6th man on a great team like OKC than as the star of a borderline playoff team.

Smokey

Why does Houston need a new video board? nobody goes to their games anyway.

true, but y not . asian money has no boundaries
besides buying decent players

they are doing a bunch of other stuff too :

Other parts of the project include the installation of more than 300 all-new HD flat screen televisions in the lower and upper concourses, suites, as well as the Lexus Lounge and Woodforest Lounge. Patrons with smart phones will also have greater access to a high-speed data network, increasing their ability to stay connected while at events. Fans will also benefit from a new point-of-sale system that will make ordering concessions items faster and more efficient, new carpeting throughout the building, and new concessions menu offerings.

So it's not just the scoreboard although obviously that's the main attraction. Timing of All Star Weekend has a lot to do with it. Plus concerts etc.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Rodeo, this album gets better and better the more I listen to it. Classic Coheed.

This is almost impossible for anyone to remember but I can't ever remember a player or think of one who would turn down a max contract on his first big contract

it will probably be there for him elsewhere and he will take it

charsace

There are people that think Harden won't take a max contract? Really? Dude is getting the max so the Thunder better be prepared to match.

Pimpwerx

Jackson: James still lacks MJ's titles
Phil Jackson believes LeBron James' physical strengths and ability to play four different positions could eventually give the Miami Heat star a leg up on Michael Jordan.

Speaking on the "Waddle and Silvy Show" on ESPN 1000 in Chicago last week, Jackson said James has the potential to join Jordan as one the greatest players in NBA history.

"He's got all the physical attributes," Jackson said. "He is a player that can play four positions. Except for perhaps the center spot, which he hasn't (been) given a shot at yet, he can play those other four positions quite well. This is unique; Michael could play three and was very good at all three of those, but as a power player that LeBron can become, I think he has an opportunity to explore and advance some of the status that he has already gained."

Jordan still has five more championships than James, which is the major factor in any such conversation. But James is 27, a year younger than Jordan was when he won his first title under Jackson in 1991. Jackson believes that if James can stay healthy, he could chase Jordan's standard.

"Winning six championships is an elusive thing out there, and they haven't won two yet," Jackson said. "But he's kinda got the smell of it, and even the Olympic experience this summer, he was the granted leader of that team and was the critical player when they needed something to happen in the final games. I think he's there, I think he's at that position. He's got good things ahead of him and a lot of it depends upon if he's gonna be healthy for the remainder of his career."

The next threshold for James, Jackson said, is to improve his post moves and shooting ability to become more of a dynamic offensive player. As he aged, Jordan developed better footwork to diversify his offensive game, something Jackson believes James will need to do as well.

"I have a hard time judging the best player, but I do think that Michael had more moves in the post and he had more of a perhaps shooting touch with his back to the basket and all these kind of things that were part of his game," Jackson said.

"LeBron has this train out of control when he gets the ball in transition that he can go coast-to-coast without anyone getting in his way, and if they do, he's going to over run them. And he's got the power with the body and he's developed a left hand that's extremely good. There's a lot of things that you are seeing in the development of this player that leads towards that, but the ideal and the whole reason behind this is what kind of championships are you gonna get from a player like this? Can he match what Michael has done?"

Though the Heat have been installed as narrow favorites to repeat as champions, Jackson said he thinks they'll find winning again to be more challenging, especially with strong contenders like the Los Angeles Lakers and Oklahoma City Thunder.

"It's more difficult, it becomes more difficult, with each one you win," Jackson said. "There is never really an easier path. You know the direction, you know what it takes, you know the length of the season and how to pace yourselves."

I guess people can stop acting all shocked and appalled when the comparison between MJ and LBJ are made now. If Phil thinks the comparison can be made now, then it's pretty much official. Lots of authoritative figures in the game have weighed in now, comparing Bron to the GOAT. Seems like it's a legit argument now. PEACE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom