• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 April NBA |OT| Pipe Dreams

Vahagn

I like that this season's exposed what it's like to be a teammate of Kobe Bean Bryant. I'll tell my kids about it 10 years down the road when sports media throws Duncan under a bus and calls Kobe the best basketball player of his generation.

Lol. Pre-conceived notions and confirmation bias galore. Nash has been singing Kobe's praises all year, so has Jamison and Blake and Meeks and everyone not named Dwight. But Dwight was getting publicly called out by D'Antoni and Nash as well. And while Dwight was having one of his worst offensive seasons, Kobe was having one of his best. Keep living in your silly world though.

Even without Rose, the Bulls starting 5 have barely played together. Boozer has been the healthiest one this season lol.

More than twice as much as the lakers starting 5. Replacing Rip with Bellinelli (who is probably better) is still a lot more minutes than the Lakers starting 5.

In fact, some combo of their starting 5 mixed in with Nate for hinrich, or Bellinelli for rip have played over 5 times as many minutes as the Lakers starting 5.

7 guys over 60 games. 10 guys over 48, which is more than Pau has played.

Yes, Rose is out but the rest of the bulls have basically had a normal season regarding injuries for a team. Some guys play a little hurt, some guys miss games here and there. Teams like the Wolves and Lakers have missed multiple key players for like half the season (wolves case even more) at the same time.

Deng wasn't Deng and has missed games. Noah wasn't Noah and has missed games. Rip. Hinrich. And Rose is MIA

Yes, they've missed games. Notice how their record when they miss multiple of those guys is terrible? But they've only missed a multiple for a small portion of the time. Usually it's just 1 guy and a lot of the season only Rose and rip (again who is worse than bellinelli anyway) was out. And they're out east.

thekad

Banned
Mamba is literally saying the Lakers have been hit harder with injuries than the team without its best player all season.

Literally.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
ibfNeIqI0RcBZ.jpg

effzee

HAhaha I just read this article http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--l...ning-streak-ends-against-bulls-064538958.html

Bronbron saying he doesn't get calls and that's why the streak ended! HAHAHA

The Raptors have had 3 public apologies from the NBA this year because of bad calls against them.

Except he didn't say that at all.

I think he is wrong in that they were just hard fouls but he felt they weren't basketball plays. He got the calls so he wasn't saying they didn't get called just that he feels he is being hit harder than most and these fouls/players are getting away playing a little dirty against him.

No where did he say that is why the streak ended.

that streak really made these games feel like something

the rest of the reglar season seems really pointless

Yeah I so wanted the steak to continue for this coming Sunday.

I wonder if both coaches now bench all their superstars. Sunday's potential GOTY might turn out to be a compelling matchup between Spurs bench V Heat bench.

PBY

Banned
Except he didn't say that at all.

I think he is wrong in that they were just hard fouls but he felt they weren't basketball plays. He got the calls so he wasn't saying they didn't get called just that he feels he is being hit harder than most and these fouls/players are getting away playing a little dirty against him.

No where did he say that is why the streak ended.

Yeah I so wanted the steak to continue for this coming Sunday.

I wonder if both coaches now bench all their superstars. Sunday's potential GOTY might turn out to be a compelling matchup between Spurs bench V Heat bench.

This might be my homerism showing, but I think what Lebron was trying to get at was this: they aren't basketball plays in that they aren't going for the ball. They are literally just wrapping him up and giving him a foul. Its kind of like the Hack-a-Dwight/Shaq argument imho.

There hasn't been a team in the last 20 years that has been hit harder by injuries than this Lakers team. Without the injuries they'd be too in the West and gunning for that 17th chip.

effzee

This might be my homerism showing, but I think what Lebron was trying to get at was this: they aren't basketball plays in that they aren't going for the ball. They are literally just wrapping him up and giving him a foul. Its kind of like the Hack-a-Dwight/Shaq argument imho.

Yeah that's his point. Though I think Kirk was trying to take a charge but both player's momentum led him to grab a hold just so he himself didn't fall.

That was a clear blocking call. Lebron felt he was wrapped up and almost tackled. Which clearly is not a basketball play/foul. Same with the Gibson play. We had the luxury of replay and different angles. But in the act Lebron probably felt like he was just hit hard without any play for the ball.

Yeah that's his point. Though I think Kirk was trying to take a charge but both player's momentum led him to grab a hold just so he himself didn't fall.

That was a clear blocking call. Lebron felt he was wrapped up and almost tackled. Which clearly is not a basketball play/foul. Same with the Gibson play. We had the luxury of replay and different angles. But in the act Lebron probably felt like he was just hit hard without any play for the ball.

Well Gibson couldn't even see where his arm would connect, he just reached back and said Yolo.

I wish everyone would move the hell on. It's not the first time a star player has bitched about calls after a game (it just came at a bad time) it's been blown way out of proportion

I look forward to it exiting the news cycle after the weekend

also once again, fuck you danny ainge. your bitchass complained and whined all the time
according to Stephen A Smith on First Take

I wish everyone would move the hell on. It's not the first time a star player has bitched about calls after a game (it just came at a bad time) it's been blown way out of proportion

I look forward to it exiting the news cycle after the weekend

also once again, fuck you danny ainge. your bitchass complained and whined all the time
according to Stephen A Smith on First Take

I remember watching Ainge on the Suns in the early-mid 90s. Dude bitched at every single call. Looked like he was going to cry. Same when he was on the C's. He's the last person that should be calling out a player for complaining about a call.

I remember watching Ainge on the Suns in the early-mid 90s. Dude bitched at every single call. Looked like he was going to cry. Same when he was on the C's. He's the last person that should be calling out a player for complaining about a call.

I'm not going to go call it classless or anything (cause I personally love sports figures pissing each other off) but I was very surprised to hear the general manager of a team fire shots at other teams' players like that

Then again we had Otis Smith saying "I thought LeBron was more of a competitor than that" after he joined Miami so who knows

I'm not going to go call it classless or anything (cause I personally love sports figures pissing each other off) but I was very surprised to hear the general manager of a team fire shots at other teams' players like that

Then again we had Otis Smith saying "I thought LeBron was more of a competitor than that" after he joined Miami so who
knows

And it's not as though Miami was playing the celtics when it happened. Just Ainge being Ainge.

If the Lakers stayed healthy all year, I think they would be around 5th place or so. They'd be much better, but still nowhere near what the expectations were due to compatibility issues and bad coaching.

"As a kid, I used to watch a lot of the Laker games," James said. "And I used to see Shaq get hammered. He would get two free throws. And then he'd finally deliver a blow and it would be a technical foul or a flagrant foul. I've seen it before. We're not ones to complain."

I forgot he was still in 10th grade and shit when the Lakers were in the middle of their 3 peat. Crazy

Hopefully he doesn't try to punch someone in the head like Shaq did to Brad Miller (I still maintain if that punch connected he'd be in jail and Brad Miller would be dead or something)

If the Lakers stayed healthy all year, I think they would be around 5th place or so. They'd be much better, but still nowhere near what the expectations were due to compatibility issues and bad coaching.

5th place is currently 11 games ahead of the Lakers lol

I forgot he was still in 10th grade and shit when the Lakers were in the middle of their 3 peat. Crazy

Hopefully he doesn't try to punch someone in the head like Shaq did to Brad Miller (I still maintain if that punch connected he'd be in jail and Brad Miller would be dead or something)

I see both sides. For James it must be tiring for you to go down the lane and Boom you're tied up. It becomes stressful to your body but more so to your mind. You're trying to score, hype the team, etc., and you're blocked from doing so. But for the opposing team its the smart play. You prefer to let James get you for twp free throws than a play that will be on Sportscenter which could very possible start a nice run for the Heat.

I see both sides. For James it must be tiring for you to go down the lane and Boom you're tied up. It becomes stressful to your body but more so to your mind. You're trying to score, hype the team, etc., and you're blocked from doing so. But for the opposing team its the smart play. You prefer to let James get you for twp free throws than a play that will be on Sportscenter which could very possible start a nice run for the Heat.

pretty much

Though I will be the first to say 'man up' (not literally since he can take a lot more than I can) but in that sense, he needs to be ready for it cause it'll get worse

although honestly if people want to play physical with him I'm not sure they want him to play physical back (which people always see as a bitch move but whatever). so we'll see

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I'm making crepes at home and don't have any nutella :(

lol, holy shit. Interview with the Blazers PA guy:

You're respectful, it they make a basket, it's always low key. You just say their name. Kobe Bryant. That's it. You don't give them anything to go on. Because these guys have egos. If you disrespect them, they will use that to motivate them.

One night I mispronounced Matt Harpring's name. I was dyslexic, I called him Mark Harpring. That's all. It happens. My brain was somewhere else. He came up and complained to me, he really got in my grill. I just kind of blew him off, I'm dyslexic, I'm sorry about that. It pissed him off, he scored 28 points against us and it cost us the game. I thought I've got to remember, try not to mispronounce it, never give them any ammo to motivate them.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/e...iley-on-danny-ainge-he-needs-to-shut-the-f-up

Riley's response was a bit... stronger. In a statement released through the Heat's PR via the Sun-Sentinel, Riley said of Ainge, "He needs to STFU and manage his own team. He was the biggest whiner going when he was playing. I know that because I coached against him."

lmao, general manager warfare!!!

I wonder if Riley actually said "STFU" or "shut the fuck up" because quite frankly, both really surprise me...

pretty much

Though I will be the first to say 'man up' (not literally since he can take a lot more than I can) but in that sense, he needs to be ready for it cause it'll get worse

although honestly if people want to play physical with him I'm not sure they want him to play physical back (which people always see as a bitch move but whatever). so we'll see

Yep. It's one of those areas where certain players ARE treated differently and have to accept and prepare for it. Both of us have watched Shaq when he'd be in the hole and get absolutely pounded by 2-3 guys without getting the call. Refs see how bog he is and had different requirements before they'd blow the whistle. It's ridiculous but Shaq basically grew to expect it. Periodically he'd get T'd up bit he had to let the refs know it was BS. Same with Bron. Can only go so long without doing something. And like Shaq and Wilt for instance, Lebron knows he has to control his response because if he doesn't he will hurt his team and could physically destroy the opposing player.

He said "shut the fuck up" lol.

not many things would delight me more than to hear Riles say "es-tee-ef-u"

sounds like there's still a little disdain for the celtics from riley! he's getting flashbacks to the 80s
Ira Winderman @IraHeatBeat
Pat Riley said Danny Ainge should shut the f--k up and manage his own team. Called Ainge the biggest whiner ever."

this guy is the Heat's beat writer and has been for like the whole time. he's definitely telling the truth

daaaaamn hot fire being spit around the east coast

Ira Winderman ‏@IraHeatBeat 6m
Ainge's response to Riley, "We're both right. LeBron should stop complaining and I should manage my own team."

I guess you should tell your own players to stop complaining since that's what you so strongly believe in Danny!

Top Bottom