• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 April NBA |OT| Pipe Dreams

Branduil

not making the playoffs at all with their personnel is endless pipe

When's the last time a team with that much talent missed the playoffs? They have two players who were the best player on two different playoff teams last year. And then you add Steve Nash, who almost led a terrible Phoenix team to the playoffs. And there's still Pau and Metta. Them not making the playoffs would be a joke, even with their injuries.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
It hasn't, but it seemed to get propped up as a reason why Lillard was supposed to be the clear RotY: That he was helping get a team into the playoffs as one of the main options which is really impressive. Now he's just the second guy on a really bad team.

I don't recall that being propped up at all, maybe way back 3 months ago. The argument has been that he's clearly head and shoulders better at this moment in time as a rookie than everyone else in his class.

Lillard has shown crazy progression (at least offensively) as the year went on, too. His March numbers alone are jaw-dropping good.

The bigger question is: how can you give a guy all the ROTM awards and not proclaim he's the ROTY?

I'd also argue that as much as LaMarcus makes Lillard's life easier, having a guard of Lillard's caliber makes LMA's life easier, too. Also, let's not forget that Roy won ROTY he was playing next to a 24/10 player, and this Blazers team has more wins.

When's the last time a team with that much talent missed the playoffs? They have two players who were the best player on two different playoff teams last year. And then you add Steve Nash, who almost led a terrible Phoenix team to the playoffs. And there's still Pau and Metta. Them not making the playoffs would be a joke, even with their injuries.

b-b-b-b-but western conference basketball is so tough

the history is already being rewritten tho. "but our starters were injured and never played togerther and we have bad bench players"

but I wont forget the pipe they took from philly on their own home floor. when all four "all stars" got huge minutes.

Branduil

the history is already being rewritten tho. "but our starters were injured and never played togerther and we have bad bench players"

but I wont forget the pipe they took from philly on their own home floor. when all four "all stars" got huge minutes.

It's all Mike BrownDantoni's fault.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

Blame D'antoni aka "Mr.Fails Upward"

I was just looking over the 96-97 Rockets. Clyde missed 20 games, Charles missed 30 games.

Their record? 57-25.

But it's easy to see why, Dwight is no Dream, Pau is no Barkley, Kobe is no Glide, and Nash is no Matt Maloney.

I was just looking over the 96-97 Rockets. Clyde missed 20 games, Charles missed 30 games.

Their record? 57-25.

But it's easy to see why, Dwight is no Dream, Pau is no Barkley, Kobe is no Glide, and Nash is no Matt Maloney.

The West was the East back then. 3 under .500 teams making the playoffs. They were also 41-12 with Charles in the lineup. 16-12 without. I wish Pau only missed 30 games...

Lakers in the East would win close to 50 this year.

edit: That Rockets team started the season 21-2 losing 1 in Double OT. Drexler played in all, Barkley missed 2.

That 17-13 record against the East is really formidable.

stupid way to look at it. If they play weaker competition more often, they can play less minutes more often, be more rested.

I'll trade all the OKC, SAS, Den, LAC, Mem games for 2 more against Miami, NYK, and then all the rest.

cross conferences involve big road trips and the like.

Utah would also win about 50 out east.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Well at least they won't lose in the playoffs like they did the last time they had 4 HoFers on the roster

Vahagn

too bad that game didn't matter for Miami, how about the Lakers?

Way to move those goal posts like a pro.

Also, this season is an abject failure for the Lakers. Not making the playoffs is horrendous and even making the playoffs without a miracle run to the WCF is a failure. But people pretending the injury merry go round on a legendarily top heavy team with a new coach, no chemistry or training camp, and the age having nothing to do with it is lulz. With their injuries and poor play on the court, LA has gotten about 50% out of Pau, Nash, Howard from what their HOF careers represent. Surely it's Kobe's fault that Nash and Pau have missed about 40% of the season and played injured when they played, and Dwight hasn't had conditioning or grown man maturity levels needed to be himself until the ASG.

If LA had the depth, coaching, and cohesion of a Miami or a SA, it could afford injuries and stay afloat. But when you're playing a 7 man rotation of older players - you end up losing every back to back game.

And LA's end of the bench is so horrible that even D'Antonis famous "make bad players look good" system can't make those guys look like NBA players. The same system that's made Blake, Meeks, and Earl Clark look much better then they are can't make us look like we're fielding a team of more than 8 players. And one or two extra players means Kobe can actually play under 40 minutes any time one of our perimeter players gets injured.

10p8k.gif

10p0l.gif

Vahagn

I swear if you say this again very bad things will happen

That's exactly what he did doe

LA has gone 23-12 over their last 35. If they finish 4-1 they go 27-13. That means they win 2/3rd of their games over a 40 game stretch. Thats too good for too long to act like injuries and the coaching change early on had nothing to do with it. Once Nash/Howard/Blake were able to actually play with some level of consistency and the team built some minor semblance of chemistry they were all right.

Blackace

That's exactly what he did doe

LA has gone 23-12 over their last 35. If they finish 4-1 they go 27-13. That means they win 2/3rd of their games over a 40 game stretch. Thats too good for too long to act like injuries and the coaching change early on had nothing to do with it. Once Nash/Howard/Blake were able to actually play with some level of consistency and the team built some minor semblance of chemistry they were all right.

How is it moving the goal post? He doesn't agree with you.. I think injuries had the biggest impact, both coaches are bad... But they are stacked with talent..

Vahagn

How is it moving the goal post? He doesn't agree with you.. I think injuries had the biggest impact, both coaches are bad... But they are stacked with talent..

PI: LA got piped by Washington lulz

Mamba: So did Miami, without Wall

PI: But that game didn't matter to Miami.

Starting out by making fun of a team for losing to the Wizards, and then changing it to "losing when I think it matters" when its pointed out his team lost to a worse Wizards team is moving the goal posts no?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
But it does matter.

One team is struggling to make the playoffs and the other essentially locked up the #1 seed in January.

Blackace

PI: LA got piped by Washington lulz

Mamba: So did Miami, without Wall

PI: But that game didn't matter to Miami.

Starting out by making fun of a team for losing to the Wizards, and then changing it to "losing when I think it matters" when its pointed out his team lost to a worse Wizards team is moving the goal posts no?

I don't think anyone has swept Miami this year so yeah.. and I don't think they have a losing record against any team (may be wrong) so it really doesn't matter while the Lakers didn't step up when needed against the Wizards.. Pretty sure that is a differnce and not really "moving the goal post" because it doesn't mean that

Vahagn

But it does matter.

One team is struggling to make the playoffs and the other essentially locked up the #1 seed in January.

1) Miami hasn't had the 1 seed in the EC the past two years, acting like its a sure fire thing in January before their 27 game win streak is lulz.

2) The NBA also has a Western Conference.

Debating whether or not it matters is changing the goal posts in the first place, the original troll attempt was just to clown a team for losing to the Wizards. It's kind of silly to troll a team for doing something your team did. He got called out on it, and changed the goal posts to save face

I don't think anyone has swept Miami this year so yeah.. and I don't think they have a losing record against any team (may be wrong) so it really doesn't matter while the Lakers didn't step up when needed against the Wizards.. Pretty sure that is a differnce and not really "moving the goal post" because it doesn't mean that

There are differences in every circumstance in the NBA. Being able to correctly point out a difference in the circumstances leading up to the game doesn't change the result of the game one bit and he was clowning the result. Losing to the Wizards, which his team also did. That fact got brought to his attention so he added disclaimers.

And acting like a team in January trying to repeat as champions has no motivation to get the #1 overall seed, which it didn't have at that point, is silly in the first place.

I wouldn't be making fun of a team for losing to a bottom dweller when my team lost to a worse version of that team. There's a million and one legit ways to troll the 2012-2013 Lakers, that's not one of them.

Blackace

1) Miami hasn't had the 1 seed in the EC the past two years, acting like its a sure fire thing in January before their 27 game win streak is lulz.

Debating whether or not it matters is changing the goal posts in the first place, the original troll attempt was just to clown a team for losing to the Wizards. It's kind of silly to troll a team for doing something your team did. He got called out on it, and changed the goal posts to save face

Say it again... Please. Say it one more time

DY_nasty

1) The last two years are not this year, obviously.

2) Miami's attitude of turn it on/turn it off has been apparent and clear since the start of the season. They didn't give two fucks about the game - maybe one, but definitely not two while LA is holding team meetings, making playoff guarantees, and declaring their own "start of the season" several times in attempts to make their shit work.

Vahagn

1) The last two years are not this year, obviously.

2) Miami's attitude of turn it on/turn it off has been apparent and clear since the start of the season. They didn't give two fucks about the game - maybe one, but definitely not two while LA is holding team meetings, making playoff guarantees, and declaring their own "start of the season" several times in attempts to make their shit work.

As I've pointed out. LA is essentially playing .660 ball for about half the season. Despite Pau, Kobe, Metta, and Nash all missing time in that stretch. While its not the Miami Heat, or even a legit contender, it's been a much better team since that team meeting and that playoff guarantee than you give them credit for. As for that Wizards game, the Wall Wizards have beaten a lot of good teams, a helluva lot more good teams than the non-Wall Wizards have.

vag why are you wasting so much time arguing this goal post bullshit

when your team deserves to get clowned on for losing games and does, engaging in "well your team lost to them too so don't go after us there" doesn't change the damn facts

and yes your team is probably better than record indicated but again arguing that is futile too since they have mostly underperformed under way too many circumstance, injury or not

DY_nasty

As I've pointed out. LA is essentially playing .660 ball for about half the season. Despite Pau, Kobe, Metta, and Nash all missing time in that stretch. While its not the Miami Heat, or even a legit contender, it's been a much better team since that team meeting and that playoff guarantee than you give them credit for. As for that Wizards game, the Wall Wizards have beaten a lot of good teams, a helluva lot more good teams than the non-Wall Wizards have.

But that's not what I'm talking about, Vahagn.

Vahagn

But that's not what I'm talking about, Vahagn.

We disagree on your basic premise that Miami didn't care about games in January because they had the #1 seed locked up by then. There's no point arguing that. You're right they've been on/off giving a fuck till that monster streak. I'm right that they were behind SA in January and that loss is pretty inexcusable. So I gave up continuing this line of debate.

I simply addressed you lumping together the team meeting, Kobe guarantee, and "our season starts tomorrow" statements. After Two of those things the team Played noticeably better. The "our season starts tomorrow" thing was just sad, That's all I was pointing out

Vahagn

vag why are you wasting so much time arguing this goal post bullshit

when your team deserves to get clowned on for losing games and does, engaging in "well your team lost to them too so don't go after us there" doesn't change the damn facts

and yes your team is probably better than record indicated but again arguing that is futile too since they have mostly underperformed under way too many circumstance, injury or not

This is all mostly true. But if you troll a team for stuff your team did That's just bound to be called out. Fanbases trolling the Lakers for underperforming so badly despite having several past their prime hall of Famers is fine. Totally legit line of trolling. Unless you are, say...a Houston fan, and had the Dream, Pippen, and Barkley get knocked out of the first round for example. Than I'll call you out on that...

TheKad.

Omega

Banned
knicks bandwagon is the worst. anyone else in NY notice this shit? dudes went from being Heat/OKC/Laker fans to shoutin KNICKSTAPE 24/7

i hate NY sometimes. we have the most fairweather/bandwagoners ever.

If Anthony Davis and Monty wanted AD to be ROTY he would be. He's a 17, 10, 2 player per 36 with better ORTG and significantly better DRTG than Lillard.

Monty is bringing him along slow though so Lillard will take it, deservedly so.

knicks bandwagon is the worst. anyone else in NY notice this shit? dudes went from being Heat/OKC/Laker fans to shoutin KNICKSTAPE 24/7

i hate NY sometimes. we have the most fairweather/bandwagoners ever.

some people on my facebook switch between nets or knicks depending on whos hot at the moment

they havent made a nets post in a while lol

Rumors of the Hornets looking to move Gordon this off-season.

Probably to PHX for their pick this year whatever bad contracts they want to push to New Orleans.

They are going to be scary in a few years. Watch them get Burke, Benett and Jabari in the next three drafts or something crazy like that with a ton of cap room.

This is all mostly true. But if you troll a team for stuff your team did That's just bound to be called out. Fanbases trolling the Lakers for underperforming so badly despite having several past their prime hall of Famers is fine. Totally legit line of trolling. Unless you are, say...a Houston fan, and had the Dream, Pippen, and Barkley get knocked out of the first round for example. Than I'll call you out on that...

TheKad.

even the Craptors never took a home loss to the Magic or took the pipe from aaron afflalo. fuck da Lakers.

Rumors of the Hornets looking to move Gordon this off-season.

Probably to PHX for their pick this year whatever bad contracts they want to push to New Orleans.

They are going to be scary in a few years. Watch them get Burke, Benett and Jabari in the next three drafts or something crazy like that with a ton of cap room.

Are you trying to ruin my Monday Faze?

Meier

Vucevic continues to be the only good thing to happen to the Magic this season. 21 points, 21 boards, 2 blocks and perhaps most impressively, 6 assists. He had a double double in the first 18 minutes.

No surprise the team collapsed in the 4th. The way the team has done that so often this year makes me think this could be 1 and done for Jacque Vaughn. At some point the team should have gotten better at holding leads.

Top Bottom