• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 April NBA |OT| Pipe Dreams

LBJ's lack of foot work would be the thing that kills him. Bron's on his way to being on of the greats but he has some holes that should have been roughed out by now. Honestly he's the most athletic dude to play the game but I feel like that ruined his chances of being the greatest. He doesn't have to work like MJ did. He knows it too. He became complacent at a young age and is only now correcting it. If he was more like MJ or even Kobe there would be no one questioning where he stands.

Lol. I needed that.

I had my wife watch the post game interview. She feels my pain. She's watched hundreds of games with me, dating back to the three-peat days. She's a fan.

Always told her I'd shed tears the day he retired. I think she felt I was upset and assured me he wasn't done yet.

I BELIEVE.

My GF too. I was visibly shaken, and she told me not to worry, he'll come back and play till he's 37; and he will be better than MJ's last hoorah!

His post game was hard to watch. Also Dwight showing some emotion was nice.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Oh, no doubt there are plenty of poorly officiated games, but don't act like they all have the same gravity of a late season game which has huge playoff implications for both teams.

Both teams laid their own beds over the 82 game season. Who knows, maybe the Mavs got short-changed in a bunch of games this season and they should all be beardless and in the 8th seed now. I don't even want to get into this.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Sad to see Kobe end the season like that. Can't stand him cause he's fucked over some teams i was rooting for in the west, but the guy is warrior. Having seen Jordan, Pippen, kobe, nd Lebron in their primes there is no way I would pick Lebron over Kobe/Jordan.

With Jordan and Kobe you just knew they would win a game for you. Nobody has the confidence in Lebron. There's just something missing from him. MAybe it's his face I don't know lol.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I don't know.. to be honest there hasn't been a player who would make LBJ work on both ends like Pippen would do..

I am sure LBJ would do aiight but as soon as he hits the post Worm or Grant (depending on the era) would be there as well.. Magic was a smarter player. LBJ is the better athlete it would be a fun matchup but in 7 I think Pippen locks him down more than LBJ goes off..

I wasn't trying to say that Bron would win that battle. Not at all. I worded it wrong I guess.
I was trying to say that I think Bron would rise to the challenge and find a way to still be effective once he got used to having to play against Pip. Like by game 3 or 4 Bron would find something in his arsenal that he could go to that would work effectively to get good shots up against Pip. And really that's the battle. Just finding good shots against him.
I think Pip is Bron's athletic match though or as close as you can get. Bron is heavier and therefore stronger. But pound for pound I think Pip is just as much of an athletic marvel.

But Pip was a beast and I also think he was the best wing defender of all time.

LuchaShaq

Banned
The main reason I'm upset about the love injury is that now the officiating travesty from last night will be ignored.

It's pathetic when you can predict a 3-1 ft advantage due to insane calls and it comes true. That shit was worse than the 06 finals.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I wasn't trying to say that Bron would win that battle. Not at all. I worded it wrong I guess.
I was trying to say that I think Bron would rise to the challenge and find a way to still be effective once he got used to having to play against Pip. Like by game 3 or 4 Bron would find something in his arsenal that he could go to that would work effectively to get good shots up against Pip. And really that's the battle. Just finding good shots against him.
I think Pip is Bron's athletic match though or as close as you can get. Bron is heavier and therefore stronger. But pound for pound I think Pip is just as much of an athletic marvel.

But Pip was a beast and I also think he was the best wing defender of all time.

He would have good games, but I think Pip would take him out of his element...

Shadow780

I doubt he'll come back if he can't perform at the level he desires, it's been a long road.

Always wondered how he's gonna go out, but damn, it's still sad to see :(

He was already slowing down and playing terrible defense. Even if if comes back, I can't imagine him being very effective at all. He'll pretty much be relegated to a jump shooter because his lift will be gone.

I actually think that the Lakers will finish with a better record than they did this year because Nash will actually be allowed to run the team.

Triple U

Banned
Damn Kobe. That's about all I can offer him, considering his past. Great player though...

As far as pippen, you really can't compare hand check era defenders against current players. Pippen is one of the best built players ever but still there is consideration you have to take about how he'd be able to defend depending more on his footwork and disciple rather than his strength and length.

The main reason I'm upset about the love injury is that now the officiating travesty from last night will be ignored.

It's pathetic when you can predict a 3-1 ft advantage due to insane calls and it comes true. That shit was worse than the 06 finals.

Yeah but not every game is gonna have even FT distribution.

Emwitus

He was already slowing down and playing terrible defense. Even if if comes back, I can't imagine him being very effective at all. He'll pretty much be relegated to a jump shooter because his lift will be gone.

I actually think that the Lakers will finish with a better record than they did this year because Nash will actually be allowed to run the team.

LOL. Our problem wasn't offense...that's all i'm saying

EDIT: Talk of kobe being amnestied now, Doh!

Cloudy

Banned
This is such BS! All the training and sacrifice just flew out the window with one step that I've done millions of times! The frustration is unbearable. The anger is rage. Why the hell did this happen ?!? Makes no damn sense. Now I'm supposed to come back from this and be the same player Or better at 35?!? How in the world am I supposed to do that??
I have NO CLUE. Do I have the consistent will to overcome this thing? Maybe I should break out the rocking chair and reminisce on the career that
was. Maybe this is how my book
ends. Maybe Father Time has defeated me...Then again maybe not! It's 3:30am, my foot feels like dead weight, my head is spinning from the pain meds and I'm wide awake. Forgive my Venting but what's the purpose of social media if I won't bring it to you Real No Image?? Feels good to vent, let it out. To feel as if THIS is the WORST thing EVER! Because After ALL the venting, a real perspective sets in. There are far greater issues/challenges in the world then a torn achilles. Stop feeling sorry for yourself, find the silver lining and get to work with the same belief, same drive and same conviction as ever.
One day, the beginning of a new career journey will commence. Today is NOT that day.
"If you see me in a fight with a bear, prey for the bear". Ive always loved that quote. Thats "mamba mentality" we don't quit, we don't cower, we don't run. We endure and conquer.
I know it's a long post but I'm Facebook Venting LOL. Maybe now I can actually get some sleep and be excited for surgery tomorrow. First step of a new challenge.
Guess I will be Coach Vino the rest of this season. I have faith in my teammates. They will come thru.
Thank you for all your prayers and support. Much Love Always.
Mamba Out

Kobe post game interview was hard to watch =(

Posted a bit ago about how those type of minutes were an indication of terrible coaching and now D'Antoni has Shanahan'd Kobe =(

Gotta wonder what Dwight is thinking.

seeing my fb and twitter with posts saying "Dwight can carry us next season" has me laughing

even with Pau it'll be just like his Magic days but will have a worse record since its the west.

Dwight is gone.

So Dwight is gonna sign with Houston right? Just trying to figure out next year's bandwagon.

If anything I think it makes it more likely that Dwight resigns. It' s his team for the foreseeable future now.

edit: with the way everyone is reacting Dan'toni should take care not to go out in public for a while, I can see some crazed fan out there wanting to take retribution for Kobe.

don't do it Vag

I feel deflated, despressed, dejected, hopeless. I don't think there's been a sports moment that's affected me more emotionally than last night, both highs and lows. But I assure you this he will be back next year and it will be sooner than people think. Don't know what else to add, Kobe is the reason i still follow the game religiously. Probably the 2nd greatest player of all time, maybe 1st if he could have got another 1-2 rings considering he's played 20 seasons counting playoffs and team usa and still putting up incredible, elite numbers. He'll be back.

Probably the 2nd greatest player of all time, maybe 1st if he could have got another 1-2 rings considering he's played 20 seasons counting playoffs and team usa and still putting up incredible, elite numbers.

Oh boy, there we go. Of course we knew lakers trolls would say Kobe is the best ever, it's just that their fanatical adoration will appear sooner than we thought.

I was wondering if we'd have some guy saying the Lakers would have won the title this year, but it's gone real quick to the highest levels of trolling.

Also amazed that grown men (I assume) are in here saying they cried for some guy who's slated to make 30M next year. Sigh.

Vahagn

Without naming names, there are some serious asshats in this thread. If you wanna wait some period of time to start joking around with it, that's fine. But the same damn night to start revelling in this shit? Classless.

Heat-Age - damn I'm impressed! Even the biggest Kobe trolls have basic sense, which is more than other members in here.

The only comparable situations in today's NBA to what happened to Kobe tonight are if this thing happened to Dirk or Timmy. And I would be completely devastated if this happened to either of them as well. Kobe literally has nothing left to play for any more outside of passing Jordan up in points. If he really was gonna retire next year anyway, and this i jury takes a year to come back from - he should just do it now.

Dude literally drove his body to failure in a move everyone knew was a real probability in order to help the franchise succeed for Jerry, Jeanie, all of LA and his teammates. Watching him go down the first two times tonight, it was just so painful to watch. I said to myself "just shelf him before he suffers a serious injury, his legs are falling apart, it's coming" One quarter later it happened.

Oh boy, there we go. Of course we knew lakers trolls would say Kobe is the best ever, it's just that their fanatical adoration will appear sooner than we thought.

I was wondering if we'd have some guy saying the Lakers would have won the title this year, but it's gone real quick to the highest levels of trolling.

Also amazed that grown men (I assume) are in here saying they cried for some guy who's slated to make 30M next year. Sigh.

Shut the fuck up

Vahagn

You okay there? Are you having nightmares about Kobe or do you need mommy to tuck you in?

Way to put sports in perspective.

Whereas sports make you into a total belittling asshole - glad they're in proper perspective for you. "Someone made a silly sports statement, like they cried for kobe or they rated kobe too high - that gives me free license to be an asshole."

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I feel my avatar will be viewed as offensive.

It symbolizes how you all rode Kobe into the ground.

Top Bottom