• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 April NBA |OT| Pipe Dreams

Vahagn

Seriously don't go after D'Antoni vag, I know you're thinking about it.

Nah. It's irrelevant who our coach is. The team is dead in the water. For the foreseeable future. He was going to get the team to the playoffs or injure himself trying. If it's D'Antoni's fault it's because of bad coaching to get us fighting for a playoff berth. Not allowing Kobe to play. We needed all those minutes to win games. LA should amnesty Kobe. He should retire.

Whereas sports make you into a total belittling asshole - glad they're in proper perspective for you. "Someone made a silly sports statement, like they cried for kobe or they rated kobe too high - that gives me free license to be an asshole."

Barely pointing out that reactions are irrational and immature, that grants me a STFU and then I'm supposed to comply simply because they feel they've lost a dear imaginary friend of theirs? Guess where the aggressivity is coming from. I'm not sitting here insulting Kobe Bryant or anything, I really could not care less about his career and his well-being, but if the discussion here is going to be insufferrable because lakers fans supposedly get a free pass to worship their fallen soldier (sic), then people should just get out of here. Saying Kobe is the best ever, and you should shut up? Sigh. It's like those right wing idiots with Margaret Thatcher this past week, saying there is no time to criticize, yet themselves they will write fucking hagiographies and ask everyone to just nod in silence...

bionic77

My favorite basketball player ever. Never easy to see anyone's career end but its horrible seeing them go out on an injury like that.

I imagine he will come back considering how competitive he is but that probably won't be the Kobe we are used to seeing. Even at 35 with nothing left to prove he still payed harder than anyone on the team. Doubt I will ever see another player like that in purple and gold.

Thanks for the memories Kobe. Now to prepare for the Jim Buss era*.

* Jeanie take that monkey out and save us!

Barely pointing out that reactions are irrational and immature, that grants me a STFU and then I'm supposed to comply simply because they feel they've lost a dear imaginary friend of theirs? Guess where the aggressivity is coming from. I'm not sitting here insulting Kobe Bryant or anything, I really could not care less about his career and his well-being, but if the discussion here is going to be insufferrable because lakers fans supposedly get a free pass to worship their fallen soldier (sic), then people should just get out of here. Saying Kobe is the best ever, and you should shut up? Sigh. It's like those right wing idiots with Margaret Thatcher this past week, saying there is no time to criticize, yet themselves they will write fucking hagiographies and ask everyone to just nod in silence...

It's the day after, hours after, and you can't just lay low for a day and let people air shit out regardless of how crazy you think it might be? What the fuck is wrong with you?

My favorite basketball player ever. Never easy to see anyone's career end but its horrible seeing them go out on an injury like that.

He's not done, jesus.

mhi

Kobe my n , I hate it had to be him.

His determination and will (where as others have to develop them) are second only to MJ in NBA history. Which is why I won't count him out.

bionic77

It's the day after, hours after, and you can't just lay low for a day and let people air shit out regardless of how crazy you think it might be? What the fuck is wrong with you?

He's not done, jesus.
I hope he isn't but I am afraid he is. I don't think he will be able to come back from this. I see him coming back for one more season but I don't see it ending well.

Vahagn

I didn't cry because Kobe got injured. But I'm
Not going to question someone's manhood because someone did. You question someone's manhood when he's depressed and you expect anything other than a STFU?

Everything about your original response to Heavy was assholery, if we're being honest. But yea I could see why STFU would piss you off and lead to your second response, but your first response was just unjustified anyway.

Quite a few people in here would benefit greatly for themselves and many others if they simply chill the fuck out

I don't think anyone in here was or is going "Oh yay, Kobe is down, haha Lakers fans!!!!111" And maybe there are a few who weren't as sympathetic towards the injury but for a bunch of you Lakers fans are you really surprised? You can't spend years and years puffing out your chest against everyone else, telling them how much better your franchise/star is better than theirs at all else then somehow expect 100% sympathy

Lakers fans should feel sports misery today, and last night I understand emotions were running high, but cot damn folks please think again before you ever compare this to a family death or some crazy ass shit

Also this thread will be better if it's not hijacked by all-time comparisons again before this postseason has even started

I didn't cry because Kobe got injured. But I'm
Not going to question someone's manhood because someone did. You question someone's manhood when he's depressed and you expect anything other than a STFU?

Everything about your original response to Heavy was assholery, if we're being honest. But yea I could see why STFU would piss you off and lead to your second response, but your first response was just unjustified anyway.

Just because someone is depressed also doesn't give them to license to come in here and post the same usual crap he would post when he isn't depressed and not expect feedback of some kind. I don't think his manhood was getting questioned, and I think we should all agree that grown men shouldn't cry over this.

effzee

Kobe takes part of the blame but Pringles takes the majority. You're the coach. Your job is to protect your players from themselves, even if its Kobe Bryant.

I felt the same way about RG3 and Shanahan. Your star is killing himself out there, you gotta get him out before it goes all the way.

Kind of different no? Kobe had no previous history of serious injuries and even the earlier knee problems in the same game were not related.

It was obviously due to tear and wear but at that moment in that game you have to play Kobe. Don't see how or why D'Antoni is getting killed for this. Sometimes injuries just happen, especially to older players. Doesn't mean there has to be someone to blame.

Do you have a big man on your team who makes 50% of his free throws? No? GTFO.
Instead of you have bitchmadewade who complains more than ynot and Paul Pierce combined.

This is like 10 pages late but LOL. I think his point was that for all the crap about the refs and the Heat they aren't even in the top 5 in the NBA in FT per game average.

If Lakers fans don't want people to point out the ridiculous FT disparity between the Lakers and their opponents, there better not be single post about the Heat and their FTs during the post season.

LA shot more free throws last night than the Jazz have in the last three games. and Utah pounds the rock inside all the time. shot just 7 free throws against Golden State the other night.
the media should be calling Stern out on this shit.

If Lakers fans don't want people to point out the ridiculous FT disparity between the Lakers and their opponents, there better not be single post about the Heat and their FTs during the post season.

That's a job usually reserved for Frankman but I do get a good chuckle when I see shit like that

Vahagn

Ph33

Half the Laker locker room was crying. They're all grown men. It's not something I would do, but I understand why someone who grew up watching 1,500 Kobe games tear up a little over this.

If Brandi or Justin did the same with Dirk or Timmy, I would get it.

That's a job usually reserved for Frankman but I do get a good chuckle when I see shit like that

to be fair, Lebron went through a stretch of what like four five games where he apparently fouled no one. a 265 pound man who plays physical, aggressive D, didnt foul anyone in four games.
NBA refs are the worst of all four major sports. corrupt pieces of shit.

Ph33

Half the Laker locker room was crying. They're all grown men. It's not something I would do, but I understand why someone who grew up watching 1,500 Kobe games tear up a little over this.

Of all athletes that this could be allowed for it would Kobe and that's because he's achieved rock star status in LA as much as anybody. So in a way he's kind of like Michael Jackson to their fans.

But with that said there's a huge difference between fans crying and teammates crying. I'm not going to tell somebody how they should think and feel, I've been fucking pissed as hell over losses, but tears, that's a different ball game to me than feeling the other kinds of emotions. This isn't even somebody the fans know personally! But whatever, every man for his own I suppose

to be fair, Lebron went through a stretch of what like four five games where he apparently fouled no one. a 265 pound man who plays physical, aggressive D, didnt foul anyone in four games.
NBA refs are the worst of all four major sports. corrupt pieces of shit.

there's without a doubt ref bias and bad calls but basketball is a hard as fuck sport to officiate

meanwhile this shit is happening in a sport where it's play-stop-play-stop-play-stop

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Ph33

Debatable

And at least they actually know him

Woke up to hear the news about Kobe Bryant. I used to hate Kobe Bryant, but came to respect his killer instinct over the years. Closest player to MJ, but just a tad bit short.

Of all athletes that this could be allowed for it would Kobe and that's because he's achieved rock star status in LA as much as anybody. So in a way he's kind of like Michael Jackson to their fans.

But with that said there's a huge difference between fans crying and teammates crying. I'm not going to tell somebody how they should think and feel, I've been fucking pissed as hell over losses, but tears, that's a different ball game to me than feeling the other kinds of emotions. This isn't even somebody the fans know personally! But whatever, every man for his own I suppose

there's without a doubt ref bias and bad calls but basketball is a hard as fuck sport to officiate

meanwhile this shit is happening in a sport where it's play-stop-play-stop-play-stop

You know I haven't ever shed one tear during my sports life during some pretty awful moments. This one though....This one is hitting me hard bro. I think its more the thought of never seeing him step out on the court again after year after year of him being a pretty big part of my life. Logistically its dumb. He doesn't know me. I don't know him, but seeing him play at Staples 20+ times and knowing I possibly wont see him on that court again just feels bad.

I hear that. But its more sinister than that and weve had examples over the years. Tim Donaghy. Steve Javie and other refs "punishing" Allen Iverson with no calls. That shameful reffing in the Laker-Kings series a decade ago. as far as this season goes, we have Laker players making playoff ads and Utah, an inside out team that lives in the paint, getting 20 free throws over two games. while LA gets 50 in one.

effzee

Oh of course and its why I don't get the crying about fouls. Superstars get away with everything from traveling, offensive fouls, and the benefit of doubt when someone even slightly touches them. But its the same for most all super stars and has been for over the 20 years I have been watching basketball.

Dwight is going to dress up like Patch Adams and visit Kobe in the hospital

Holy shit almost spit my coffee out. LMAO!

bud23

I'm devastated. Kobe is the last specimen of that list of legendary winners, I hate him sometimes, I love him sometimes, but his determination to overcome all adverse situations he found on his career is a fountain of inspiration for all of us, no matter which team you support (I´m a Celtics fan).

I´ll miss you man.

Vahagn

With all the twitter comments from NBA players saying they'll know he'll come back it's like he HAS to now. When what he should do is be amnestied and retire. He'll make 31 million, cost the team 90 million, eat up cap space, not play a minute next year most likely - all to come back at 36 and be a shell of his former self? Wizards Jordan? On a non-contending team until the next injury hits him? This isn't the way he should have gone out, but he's not gonna have a better individual season than this one, and he's not gonna win another chip so what's the point?

Damn it's real knowing we may have just seen the last of "Kobe being Kobe" in that Portland game a couple nights ago.

DY_nasty

With all the twitter comments from NBA players saying they'll know he'll come back it's like he HAS to now. When what he should do is be amnestied and retire. He'll make 31 million, cost the team 90 million, eat up cap space, not play a minute next year most likely - all to come back at 36 and be a shell of his former self? Wizards Jordan? On a non-contending team until the next injury hits him? This isn't the way he should have gone out, but he's not gonna have a better individual season than this one, and he's not gonna win another chip so what's the point?

Damn it's real knowing we may have just seen the last of Kobe being Kobe in that Portland game a couple nights ago.
Kobe was never going to retire because of this.

Dude would try to play with one arm. Shit, he's tried to play with one hand before and tried to play with one functioning knee several times. If anything he'll come back healthier because the rest of his body is going to get some much needed rest.

effzee

I'm devastated. Kobe is the last specimen of that list of legendary winners, I hate him sometimes, I love him sometimes, but his determination to overcome all adverse situations he found on his career is a fountain of inspiration for all of us, no matter which team you support (I´m a Celtics fan).

I´ll miss you man.

Overcome what adverse situations? Being drafted by the Hornets and then finding a way to the Lakers? Playing alongside Shaq? Being coached by Phil Jackson 2 separate times? Playing for a competent FO that always loads up the team for a run? Yeah real tough adverse situations that inspire us all...

Simmons is suggesting the lakers amnesty Kobe. Why wouldnt some contender pick him up on the cheap on the odd chance he does come back.

Yup:

Bill SimmonsVerified account
‏@BillSimmons
1. Waited until AM for this tweet out of respect - but a Kobe amnesty is a real possibility. Would save LA about 80m in lux tax fees.

Vahagn

Dude would try to play with one arm. Shit, he's tried to play with one hand before and tried to play with one functioning knee several times. If anything he'll come back healthier because the rest of his body is going to get some much needed rest.

I don't think Jim Buss is down to pay 90 million next season so that he can have Kobe in 2014-2015 season. I think Kobe retires personally. Amnesty. Retire. Done. His only reason for coming back is to catch Jordan. But it's empty without any chance if contending.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
as a jazz fan.. I want to make the playoffs... but not like this. I feel baad for that man. I was reading the gamecast on my phone while driving back from AC and was just seeing scoring updates. I had no idea that Kobe even left the game. when i figured that the lakers had the win, i went over to GAF and saw all the news. Wow.

He is one of the greatest of all time. Definitely sucks that he would have to go out like that. He beat his body into the ground this year. To think that Dwight was brought in to help carry the weight.

Damn.

charsace

He's probably gonna have to play the 3. He's gonna lose something with this injury.

Malley the Jazz should make the playoffs. That game was fixed. Someone wants the lakers in the playoffs for whatever reason. So they fixed last night's game.

DY_nasty

I don't think Jim Buss is down to pay 90 million next season so that he can have Kobe in 2014-2015 season. I think Kobe retires personally. Amnesty. Retire. Done. His only reason for coming back is to catch Jordan. But it's empty without any chance if contending.
Kobe is way too immature to let a single injury decide how his career ends.

Kobe Bryant's torn left Achilles is expected to be a complete tear of the tendon, according to Kevin Ding of the Orange Country Register.

It's painful to hear, but it makes sense since Kobe said he could feel that his Achilles wasn't attached to his heel. He will have an MRI on Saturday and there's little doubt that it will confirm this initial diagnosis. Rehabs on Achilles tears tend to be 6-12 months, so there's still an outside chance he can return by the beginning of next season. We'll be watching his rehab very closely every step of the way and we're not counting him out to be a major force in the 2013-2014 season.

What's with everyone acting like he's guaranteed to be out 12-18 months? Achilles tears tend to be 6-12 months and Kobe is a beast. I'm not saying he'll return by the start of next season but sometime in the first half or maybe right after the all-star break is a very real possibility.

Vahagn

Amnesty for Kobe would be the best case scenario.

It would give him the best chance to catch Jordan.

You guys know only non luxury tax teams can bid on amnestied players right? Not a lot of contending teams not paying the luxury tax next year. He's not gonna go play for some scrub team. Or at least I hope he doesn't.

Very real possibility that Kobe's career is done. Unless he makes a comeback in a couple years.

Vahagn

I thought Simmons was just trolling. The Lakers wouldn't really amnesty him if he wanted to come back, right?

90-120 million is a lot to pay for 2-3 months of Kobe at best! Or arrange a buyout of his contract this summer. Let him get his 30 mil, take his time to heal and come back next year out of retirement. Or amnesty him and let him retire. Whatever leaves the opportunity open for him to come back to the lakers in a year or two if his body recoups. If Dwight re-signs we can go for it again in a year. If he doesn't, Kobe playing half of next season for a 100 million is a waste of money anyway

Branduil

Please guys, don't act like non-Lakers-age has never experienced something this painful. I highly doubt this is worse than the pain of getting screwed out of your franchise's first championship. Now that's fan sadness.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
You guys know only non luxury tax teams can bid on amnestied players right? Not a lot of contending teams not paying the luxury tax next year. He's not gonna go play for some scrub team. Or at least I hope he doesn't.

Very real possibility that Kobe's career is done. Unless he makes a comeback in a couple years.

Indiana
Rockets
Spurs
Clippers

Theres just a few.

Vahagn

Indiana
Rockets
Spurs
Clippers

Theres just a few.

Goes to the highest bidder. You don't think a team like the bobcats won't bid high for a way to put butts in seats, have Kobe and Jordan together, have Kobe teach the young guys?

Wait a minute, holy shit Dy, Jordan is going after Kobe! Lol

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Goes to the highest bidder. You don't think a team like the bobcats won't bid high for a way to put butts in seats, have Kobe and Jordan together, have Kobe teach the young guys?

Wait a minute, holy shit Dy, Jordan is going after Kobe! Lol

I seriously doubt this happens but if theres any team out there crazy enough to do it then its the Bobcats.

Top Bottom