• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 April NBA |OT| Pipe Dreams

charsace

Could the Hawks sign-and-trade Josh Smith to the Rockets for Asik? Asik's contract is really weird so I don't know how they could work it out and who else would need to be included, but that would be really interesting for both teams if the Rockets could get Dwight as well.

Rockets:

Lin
Harden
Parsons
Smith
Dwight

TJones, Donuts, Greg Smith, Delfino.

And the Hawks get a Horford/Asik frontline that makes a lot of sense...

Trade so good that it won't happen.

obama_oh-snap.jpg

In all seriousness, look how often and quickly "thug" gets thrown around.
Annoying Hockey fan logic:
NBA = predominately black
Black = Thug
NBA players not allowed to pummel each other and people care about their sport = pussies
thug+pussies = fake thug/fake tough guy

thekad

Banned
Could the Hawks sign-and-trade Josh Smith to the Rockets for Asik? Asik's contract is really weird so I don't know how they could work it out and who else would need to be included, but that would be really interesting for both teams if the Rockets could get Dwight as well.

Rockets:

Lin
Harden
Parsons
Smith
Dwight

It's very possible. Delfino would have to be waived to make room for Dwight though.

Can't believe this is likely going to be how Kobe becomes mortal.

Even MJ didn't have to decline because of injury. It's going to be sad if Kobe comes back when he is a lesser player...and sad if he doesn't come back at all.

D'antoni should be blackballed.

Cloudy

Banned
Lakers will lose tomorrow but I don't think Jazz will beat Wolves twice in a row. Unless Grizz don't want OKC getting a free pass in round 1, Lakers are in...

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Can't believe this is likely going to be how Kobe becomes mortal.

Even MJ didn't have to decline because of injury. It's going to be sad if Kobe comes back when he is a lesser player...and sad if he doesn't come back at all.

D'antoni should be blackballed.

MJ's knees were shot by that 6th ring.

Cloudy

Banned
All this hyperbole will make Kobe's comeback seem even better. He's not a guy who relies on athleticism as much as most stars. As long as he can still get his jumper off, he'll be fine. Just can't have him running the point all game or guarding the other team's best wing or PG

All this hyperbole will make Kobe's comeback seem even better. He's not a guy who relies on athleticism as much as most stars. As long as he can still get his jumper off, he'll be fine. Just can't have him running the point all game or guarding the other team's best wing or PG

I don't think I would say that Okur or Billups really relied on their athleticism that much.

Cloudy

Banned
I don't think I would say that Okur or Billups really relied on their athleticism that much.

Okur had back issues and I believe Billups had other issues as well. So long as Kobe can move, he'll still be an elite offensive player. It's his defense that might suffer and the haters say he plays no D anyways lol

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
dam i rather let james white go.

Rockets:

Lin
Harden
Parsons
Smith
Dwight

I cant see some other team not cockblocking this from happening anyhow I think dwight stays in LA

How Much Have NBA Refs Been Helping the Los Angeles Lakers Make the Playoffs?
Free Throw Margin over Opponent
The Lakers average 8.4 more free throw attempts per game than their opponents over the course of the season. The Jazz are nowhere close, ceding 1 free throw attempt per game to their opponents.

The last 10 games the Lakers have registered a +13.5 margin on free throw attempts per game. That's 161% of their norm, an increase of +5.1 free throw attempts per game over their opponent on average.

Over that same period the free throw (dis)advantage of the Jazz has dropped from -1.0 attempts per game to -4.7 attempts per game. That's 470% worse than what you'd predict from their season average, 3.7 fewer attempts per game than opponents.

The Jazz average 23 free throw attempts per game for the season. They have failed to reach that average in 9 out of their last 10 games. They have failed to reach their average free throw attempt margin in 7 of the last 10 games.

The Lakers have only been above their average of 27.8 free throws per game in 5 of the last 10 games. But that doesn't tell the whole story. They have attempted more free throws than their opponent in every one of those games, exceeding their average free throw attempt margin in 7 of the 10.

Based on their season average for foul shots made, L.A.'s increased free throw margin in the last 10 games has accounted for +3.5 points per game over their opponent on average. Their average margin of victory in that stretch has been 1.7 points per game.
http://www.blazersedge.com/2013/4/13/4219640/Los-Angeles-Lakers-playoffs-refs-referee-free-throws-officiating-conspiracy-nba

I can see an argument for LA being rewarded more FTs because they are playing desperate basketball and being more aggressive about posting up and driving. but it doesnt explain why the Jazz are not reaching their seasons FT average 9 out of their last 10 games. theyre an inside out team. their bigs are being fouled.

Cloudy

Banned
I can see an argument for LA being rewarded more FTs because they are playing desperate basketball and being more aggressive about posting up and driving. but it doesnt explain why the Jazz are not reaching their seasons FT average 9 out of their last 10 games. theyre an inside out team. their bigs are being fouled.

Dwight (22 last night) is the reason we get so many FTs. People are dumb

Shadow780

Best of luck to his surgery, I'm interested to see how he recovers (or not) from this.

Jim fucking Buss is probably gonna amnesty him and max Dwight out.

Dwight (22 last night) is the reason we get so many FTs. People are dumb
from that article:
if you pare down Dwight Howard's 22 attempts against the Warriors to his season average of 9 free throws you still end up with the Lakers at a +12.2 margin per game in the last 10, 145% of their norm.

a team that was already very good at drawing points from the foul line has produced better than anyone during their playoff chase. In that same period the team competing with them--a team that was also really good at drawing points from the foul line--has dropped to a level below the worst teams in the league

from that article:

These things are always stupid. Did the article account for opponents foul rate? Warriors are one of the most foul friendly teams, Lakers get fouled the most. Is it surprising there would be a game like this? Maybe they're playing a stretch of teams that foul a lot or are undermanned (ala Portland who played a lot of rookies)?

Also the Lakers also got Pau back in that stretch, someone who gets to the FT line a lot more than Clark and Jamison, whose minutes he took over. If the Laker FTs didn't go up since Pau came back, something would be wrong, since his career FT rate is much higher.

Branduil

How Much Have NBA Refs Been Helping the Los Angeles Lakers Make the Playoffs?

http://www.blazersedge.com/2013/4/13/4219640/Los-Angeles-Lakers-playoffs-refs-referee-free-throws-officiating-conspiracy-nba

In b4 "you could find these stats for any team in the league it's just coincidence it always looks ridiculous when you look at the Lakers' stats blahblahblah"

Edit: oh, too late.

Vahagn

These things are always stupid. Did the article account for opponents foul rate? Warriors are one of the most foul friendly teams, Lakers get fouled the most. Is it surprising there would be a game like this? Maybe they're playing a stretch of teams that foul a lot or are undermanned (ala Portland who played a lot of rookies)?

Also the Lakers also got Pau back in that stretch, someone who gets to the FT line a lot more than Clark and Jamison, whose minutes he took over. If the Laker FTs didn't go up since Pau came back, something would be wrong, since his career FT rate is much higher.

Don't do it to em Mamba - conspiracy theorists don't respond well to information that contradicts their theories

Cloudy

Banned
In b4 "you could find these stats for any team in the league it's just coincidence it always looks ridiculous when you look at the Lakers' stats blahblahblah"

Edit: oh, too late.

A Mavs fan should know what fixed games look like. Kobe's greatness is why we almost made the playoffs, not the refs

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
If it's any consolation to anyone I have spent some time watching the video of Kobe's injury and it does look like his injury is really low on his Achilles and close to the attachment point.

If so that would mean the surgeon can go in, remove a small amount of the torn ends (just to clean it up in there) and reattach at his heal. This usually is done by overlapping the ends of the tendon and sewing them together and in some situations the tear is low enough that the surgeon is able to attach directly over the existing attachment point so the scar tissue winds up encapsulating the tendon and the bone a bit.
* my tear was approx 3 inches above attachment point and is a much longer recovery process. But I don't play for the Lakers so it's all good. My career of being a dad isn't over. I will update Twitter soon, thanks for all the support*

His tendon will be a bit shorter for sure but the lower the injury occurs the better the recovery. Add in the wonders of science and I think you will see a good basketball player again.
I am making an attempt at an educated opinion here. It is just an opinion but I consulted with a NHL player and a national level high jumper in the past and now have my own issues so I have a bit of experience with the process.

I wish I could be a fly on the wall to see his recovery process. The blood plasma stuff that athletes are doing now alone could make a significant difference to his recovery. The biggest issue with the Achilles tendon is it has such a limited blood supply. After the first five to seven days of injury the blood supply starts dropping back to a normal level and that benefit to the healing process is gone. And then you have HGH and it's healing properties. I wish I could get my hands on some of that right now. :)
* my guess is that the NBA doesn't do any HGH testing until Kobe retires.

A full rupture of the achilles. He'll be back but he'll never be the Kobe we saw.

I honestly think that we may be about to see the best Achilles recovery in the history of the world.

Top Bottom